Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 14:00   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
(I think the Polo looks great, and comes right after the Punto in my books, it's only the rear tail-lamp execution where the Punto scores significantly more
I completely agree with this statement. I think the Punto is the best looking hatch available on Indian roads, and the Polo (of course not available just yet) comes second. The Beat and Swift look good too, but still not as nice as these two European models. The Punto looks more feminine, like a beautiful woman, but still tough. In other words, the Punto is Angelina Jolie. And the Polo looks handsome and chiseled. So the Polo is a younger John Travolta.

(Disclaimer: Looks are subjective)
Old 12th February 2010, 15:24   #317
BHPian

Polo to launch on Feb 23, with price announcement.
VW Polo price out February 23 | Autocar India
Old 12th February 2010, 16:05   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Polo to launch on Feb 23, with price announcement.
VW Polo price out February 23 | Autocar India
Why would VW want to announce prices on the 23 when the budget at the end of the month can play spoiler, especially with talk of revisions in the excise and CENTVAT duties?
My guess is that more than Figo launch, its the budget that they are waiting for.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:58   #319
BHPian

Just saw a Black polo on my way to drop off my civic for servicing. Both the VW and Honda service centers are right next to each other.. the car had good acceleration.

Attaching some images.. the car just raced past as soon as the signal came on..
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo specs. EDIT : 11,111,111th Polo rolls off in Pune (Pg. 18)-photo-2.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo specs. EDIT : 11,111,111th Polo rolls off in Pune (Pg. 18)-photo-3.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo specs. EDIT : 11,111,111th Polo rolls off in Pune (Pg. 18)-photo-4.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 16th February 2010, 13:00   #320
Team-BHP Support

Going by regn number and tail light design this is europe spec polo not indian wala.
Old 16th February 2010, 13:03   #321
BHPian

I think this POLO is not made in India as the tail light is different and the no. plate is not Indian.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:07   #322
BHPian

Hi guys, If you look at the snap closely and compare it to the snap of red POLO in the VW website brochure, you will find resemblance between the two tail lights.Lets ignore the registration no for a moment,why would anyone import POLO which costs 11 lac's in Europe and then pay import duties to the tune of lacs again for a car which will be on road for 1/3the price (approx.) in 2 weeks time.It has to be the one to be launched I believe.fingers crossed.
Old 16th February 2010, 18:00   #323
BHPian

Yes, indeed it is the new 2010 Polo, but defnitely imported.

When you work in an Embassy or similar kind of job, it doesn't cost much to bring your own vehicle from abroad for a foreign national.
Old 16th February 2010, 18:25   #324
BHPian

VW used a lot of euro-spec Polos during testing phase last year. They were frequently sighted in and around Pune. This could be one of them.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:45   #325
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by horabonny View Post
why would anyone import POLO which costs 11 lac's in Europe and then pay import duties to the tune of lacs again for a car which will be on road for 1/3the price (approx.) in 2 weeks time.
It's a VW-owned car that could have been brought in on a testing premise. Thus, they are exempt from paying full duties.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:12   #326
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Slightly to spoil everybody's party, I have a Serious questions about 1.6 , 1.7 mills .Where are the road to take a Car beyond 100 KMPH ??? Even on highways also, you never know ,from which side a Cow / buffalo will suddenly decide to give u a greeting right in middle of road, off course you have bull carts ,Trucks,tractor trolleys ( running on Right hand Lane) vying for their space on highways , I agree everybody loves them , but is it worthwhile to invest in a 1.6, 1.7 Mills , when you actually know that you gonna never able to make full use of that power .

Let us Think Practically here

Again I would say , Heart Always Rules over Head for Us, Auto Enthusiasts.
This thread certainly has to be the MOST active for any yet to be launched car in a long long time!

Most of the people who go for hatchbacks are looking at a 70-30 or 80-20 city vs highway drives. In this case, its very apt to say that higher powered engines are an overkill for most of the times. I have a 1.6L car and its a real pain to drive it in city traffic if i just look at the speed that i can go on.
I feel that in terms of priorities the urban buyer now looks at :
1. Drive comfort
2. Build quality and reliability( interiors, engine performance)
3. After sales and service network
as the top 3 factors
And then later power, pick up etc etc.
This is based on analyzing sales figures, reading up reviews and feed backs and also my own assessment of the market..
Most of the people active on forums BTW are enthusiasts so we may get only those people awaiting the 1.6

Last edited by mkh : 17th February 2010 at 12:18.
Old 17th February 2010, 13:03   #327
Senior - BHPian

Definitely this is a Euro spec car, VW bought this for testing purpose. I have seen such vehicles on the Bangalore Mysore highway some time back.
Old 17th February 2010, 16:27   #328
BHPian

There was some talks on announcing the price on February 23. Is there any conformation guys? If they are taking booking there should be a price extimate from dealers.
Old 17th February 2010, 17:40   #329
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Buddy more bhp does not mean that you will always be zipping car beyond 100 kms and plus. Here in US most of the cars are 165bhp and some even 250 bhp and more...so it does not mean that they all are driving beyond 80-90mph. Those extra bhp comes in use when you've to overtake slow moving trailers or trucks on freeways or for spirited driving sometimes :P
Well , I have never seen a Trailer / truck on highway doing more than 50 KMPH , and I Suspect if any hatchback will struggle to over take them at that Speed . We need to understand that we are a developing nation , Cities are not where India lives, it;s in Villages, where u have to walk 1 km before u got to see the Road, which are maintained to Known standards and Drive On those roads with speed of 80 and u know what i mean .

Even Highways are good enough for 80-90 KMPH only , again It's a Big risk if you beyond that .
Old 17th February 2010, 17:47   #330
BHPian

Scandinavian Polo

Just couple of days ago I spotted this Polo, Swedish model, here at parking at my office.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo specs. EDIT : 11,111,111th Polo rolls off in Pune (Pg. 18)-15022010009.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks