Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which magazine will you subscribe to this year?
Autocar India 431 65.60%
BS Motoring 79 12.02%
BIKE India 16 2.44%
CAR India 29 4.41%
Top Gear 156 23.74%
Overdrive 140 21.31%
Indian Auto 11 1.67%
Any other (Please name) 40 6.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 657. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2006, 19:14   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The age of a car sure has a lot to do with the condition they can bring it back to...its easy to make a car look dirty and used only to make it look like it was magically restored when the base was always shiny and clean.
Ummm... Steer I think what they are trying to say is that although the car was new in terms of its age on paper it actually was as bad as a much older car. It was in bad shape and these guys ("budding enterpreneurs") restored it to magical shine and all... Now it is anyones guess whether the car was really in that bad a shape or it was deliberately made to look like a poorly maintained one and then restored.

Another angle could be that irrespective of ACIs platitudes about promoting budding enterpreneurs they actually never have enough time to dedicate to such stories. So the author/writer never verified the things for himself. Probably interacted over the phone with these guys and saw some photos and then saw some photos after the "restoration work" and then cooked up the story sitting on his office chair. Now that they know the gaffe they are giving all that bull about promoting enterpreneurs and the age being not important.
Old 24th January 2006, 21:16   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Now what do i reply back to him
Just write back telling not to assume that readers like you will be like viewers of 'Fair & Lovely' ad!
Old 25th January 2006, 00:51   #63
Senior - BHPian

If i am not mistaken it was ACI whose news section in 2005 said that they have tied up with Hindalco for Alloys for the Optra at Rs.18K and this car has the same alloys which ACI showed. This was 2005, the cars 2004?
Old 29th March 2006, 12:26   #64

well Autocar India for its content,BS Motoring for the humor and vintage car coverage and Overdrive for news and international articles.Avoid the Auto Magazine,Auto India and Car India.
Old 29th March 2006, 13:59   #65
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I dont subscribe, mostly a newstand purchase. My choices would be Autocar for this reliable content and Bsmotoring the humour and enthusiam.
Old 29th March 2006, 17:44   #66
BHPian

Wouldn't it be better is CAR India and BIKE India were a single entry in this poll?
Old 29th March 2006, 17:47   #67
BHPian

Voted for Autocar India
Old 29th March 2006, 18:17   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

i believe ACI is the best magazine for indian motoring scene and topgear covers the international scene better,overdrive was never my choice used to buy it till date for photos or to have second opinion though i never agree with their point of view,in OD there is more personal biography rather than the cars and bikes.
Old 19th April 2006, 19:44   #69

Autocar seems to have have become a bit boring now but i still prefer it. Also Top Gear seems to have improved a bit. But BSM is still the most passionate of the lot.Auto India seems to be heading towards extinction.
Old 19th April 2006, 20:57   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

I like AutocarIndia the most.
Best pictures, good fun to read.
As for the other magazines, i picked up Top Gear and CAR from a raddiwala (after hearing the comments here i didn't want to waste 60bucks of my pocket money) and i am glad i picked them up from a raddiwala.
They suck in comparison.
Cheers
Old 19th April 2006, 21:30   #71
BHPian

make it a point to get autocar every month.

got 3 editions(feb-apr) of Top Gear ... i like their style of reporting and IMO they are one of the most straight forward in bringing forth the pros and cons of any given car, and critisizing it for its shortcomings.

also i'll add :worst mag read ... any guesses ??
OVERDRIVE !!! -- unofficial 'brand ambassador' for a few selected brands.
Old 29th May 2006, 16:52   #72
Senior - BHPian

I feel.....

• I just feel bad for Auto India and Indian Auto despite being one of the earliest , never grew up to challenge . Still remember the Indian Auto's review on the battery car planned from coimbatore....2 seater topless and at that time they seriously looked like Star Wars - Last Part . Auto India still exists but their reviews are like reading local newspaper, and their paper quality and image prints leaves a lot to be desired.
  • BSMotoring , problem is its over too soon....very low on reading contenet but the better side its very low on ADS too...thank God.
  • Right now its between Auto CAr India and CAr India . Overdrive is getting closer but not close enough to worry the other two both of them have been really great on reviews .For a entertaining reading experience its TOP Gear . The only thing I hate is inconsistent data provided by different Mags and thier quotes
" We being the No1. Magazine in India...and.on....and on..... "

Last edited by maxbhp : 29th May 2006 at 16:56.
Old 29th May 2006, 17:08   #73
Senior - BHPian

overdrive has lost its sheen since aadil jal darukhanwala('bossman') moved over to car india........yogendra pratap took over........and he's played havoc with the look of the magazine.....top gear and car india are fine except for more international coverage than required but who's complaining?
Old 30th May 2006, 11:40   #74

Yes Overdrive has been losing some of its sheen since Adil left. Yogendra seems to be putting on a bold face and insists OD will continue to remain the no 1 mag.But the competition from the new titles plus Autocar India could prove to be tough. Auto India seems to be on its death bed. The Auto Magazine seems to basically a unknown title and it is very boring to read and yet costs a whooping 75 bucks.
Old 31st May 2006, 11:27   #75

For me AutoCAR India, very professional and they stick to technology and automotive issues.

I particularly like to comment on TOPGEAR. These guys are a big insult to automotive enthusiasts in India. They cover a great deal on automobiles. BUT I absolutely dislike their taste. It almost borders on vulgarism.

For example, in one issue they had this absolutely shocking cartoons on thier own version of road signs. And the recent issues there was a photo of a number plate that ends with 69 and there is a taunting comment by these guys on what they have on thier mind when they see that number.

Absolutely disgusting.

I think I will never ever buy a TopGear again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks