Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 22:19   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Whilst I agree that the Safari is a great vehicle, I somehow feel that it could have been made a little more powerful.
Early Safaris were underpowered. But isn't that a thing of the past with new 2.2L engine?
Old 19th August 2010, 22:35   #137
BHPian

Even with just the driver on board why does the safari seem to be loaded at the back. the rear seems to duck a little compared to the front as if heavily loaded even though there is just one person in the car. I've noticed this in pretty much all safari's on the road.
and its not my find. My friend pointed it out and since then I noticed that in quite a lot of safari's.
Old 20th August 2010, 00:02   #138
Senior - BHPian

Guys who got the recent 2010 Safari,
Could you please comment / compare your initial ownership experience with other owners?
Just trying to figure out if they have fixed at least some quality issues with this new minor upgrade.
I'm really concerned if they gone worse with the reduced price recently!!
I'm looking for GX 4x4. I can just pray that if I decide to buy one, I get the better one.
Old 20th August 2010, 06:48   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Guys who got the recent 2010 Safari,
Could you please comment / compare your initial ownership experience with other owners?
Just trying to figure out if they have fixed at least some quality issues with this new minor upgrade.
I'm really concerned if they gone worse with the reduced price recently!!
I'm looking for GX 4x4. I can just pray that if I decide to buy one, I get the better one.
Here is mine - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...0-variant.html

One more of our local friend, Bose - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ri-gx-4x4.html

Both are 4X4

Which dealer you are in touch with and how about the discount part ?

Prem.
Old 20th August 2010, 17:12   #140
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I PMed Keyank, I guess he recently booked but you guys will have better experience on booking and what dealer to pick. I'm in Sarjapur Road area, yet to check with the Prerana here at Sarjapur road and will ask him for test drive.

Do you have any idea about offers / discount being offered during this time?
I earlier had decided to wait until the end of year to see if they are going to launch new Safari or other new players in the segment, but not sure if its worth waiting.
Prem, please share your booking exp. and any offers / discounts if availble at the moment.
Old 21st August 2010, 13:49   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I earlier had decided to wait until the end of year to see if they are going to launch new Safari or other new players in the segment, but not sure if its worth waiting.
Prem, please share your booking exp. and any offers / discounts if availble at the moment.
Current offers - I dont know for sure except the one I saw in a paper or somewhere [dont remember] which had "loyalty bonus" + "Corporate Discount" for Safari. There was no mention about the value as such, but corporate discount varies based on your employer.

My booking/dealer experience is in my thread above. Check it out.

My suggestion would always be Concorde Motors since they are direct subsidy of Tata and anytime better than others around in Bangalore. Also, their stock would also be fairly better, especially if you are not going for 4X4.

Being in Sarjapura road, Concorde Motors in Dairy circle isnt too far Give it a try and its worth it to me.

Good luck !
Prem.
Old 21st August 2010, 19:04   #142
Senior - BHPian

Tahnk you.
Looking for GX 4wd,
Got the TestRide booked for Monday, he said he will be sending 2010 VX on Monday, lets see. I will share the experience with you folks.
Old 21st August 2010, 19:14   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion would always be Concorde Motors since they are direct subsidy of Tata and anytime better than others around in Bangalore. Also, their stock would also be fairly better, especially if you are not going for 4X4.
I beg to differ here, there have been numerous instances of unhappy customers with both Prerana as well as Concorde, the thing is we tend to ignore the bigger majority of customers who have not had any issues buying from either dealer.

In my limited car buying experience over the years (7 cars in a span of 13 years) I have had varied dealership experiences, some good, some not so good, but the key to a good experience is not to look at dealers with suspicion, not every dealer is a crook, be patient and firm about what you want, know your requirement and have a mind of your own.

I have bought two Tata vehicles from Prerana motors and so far I have not had any issues with the dealer or the service centre.

Just being a subsidy of Tata doesn't neccessarily make Concorde the best, the same would go for the stock in hand, if they were really all that good, they would not have had competition. Just my thoughts.
Old 22nd August 2010, 00:26   #144
BHPian

After a lot of thought ( for more than a year ) i have finally made up my mind to go for GX 4x4 but there are still doubts in my mind regarding the quality issues which have been reported by a number of people on this forum and elsewhere. I waited for the 2010 model ( BSIV ) as i thought that the issues might have been rectified by TATA in this release but saw a review posted on carwale for the 2010 model. Link below :

Tata Safari User Review by Shubhanand - Highly unreliable and No After Sale Support... - CarWale.com

Now i am a bit apprehensive about going for the Safari.

Experts : Need your advice for the same as i will be going against the wishes of my wife to buy the car, as well as currently being a bit tight on the finances and if the car turns out to be a lemon then i will be in a very tight spot.

Should i wait for some time for the new SUVs coming in 2011 and then make a decision on which one to go for or go for the Safari right away ?
Old 22nd August 2010, 04:10   #145
BHPian

Tata Safari,

Hi Kamal,
I guess you are in the same situation as I was 3 year ago. Some will say "Ignorance is Bliss". I really think it is only a bliss if you are financially stable.
I bought a second hand safari, just 2 year old. The SUV was fine for one year, no issues. just regular servicing. But then one fine day the steering got jammed. Contacted our local Tata Showroom.
Now I don't know how the rest of India's Tata service is all about, but Coimbatore service came to my place in about 2 hours, and found the steering mount has snapped out of the chassis.
Which was quite a bad, prognosis "New Chassis". I don't know whether I should take it as a big relief as my parents were not driving the car at that time or get pissed for the situation that I bought a Lemon.

Now when it comes to servicing, they did a good job in replacing the car, bad news was the previous owner tampered the kilometer and sold it to me, Which I was only able to find out when the service engineer looked in to the service history. I cannot argue about it anymore because at the time of purchase I thought I am getting a good deal. "BUT NO". You have to be a bit technically sound to handle those guys and the service engineers. ( With practice everything will come to you, When you take the car to any of these authorized service center, Don't tell them all your problems, tell them the things you only want to get fixed. As soon as the write the jobs on the jobs card they will charge you once they fix it and most of them have fixed cost)

End of the Day, I cannot solely blame on the Tata build quality, The roads in Coimbatore were pathetic, you buy even a Toyota and drive it on those roads, they get damaged. Tata builds stuff to international standard, They also build Airframes to Sikorsky Helicopter and spare parts for other major brands.

My advise will be, Buy anything brand new and you are set to go either its Mahindra or Tata, they both are heavy vehicle and the roads are not so good, you will end up having steering play in 6 months and other rattles come into play. If you don;t want to take the risk then go for some small cars with petrol engines. If you are happy to spend Rs10 per kilometer then go for safari.( Including diesel).

Good luck with your new vehicle.
Enjoy safe driving.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
After a lot of thought ( for more than a year ) i have finally made up my mind to go for GX 4x4 but there are still doubts in my mind regarding the quality issues which have been reported by a number of people on this forum and elsewhere. I waited for the 2010 model ( BSIV ) as i thought that the issues might have been rectified by TATA in this release but saw a review posted on carwale for the 2010 model. Link below :

Tata Safari User Review by Shubhanand - Highly unreliable and No After Sale Support... - CarWale.com

Now i am a bit apprehensive about going for the Safari.

Experts : Need your advice for the same as i will be going against the wishes of my wife to buy the car, as well as currently being a bit tight on the finances and if the car turns out to be a lemon then i will be in a very tight spot.

Should i wait for some time for the new SUVs coming in 2011 and then make a decision on which one to go for or go for the Safari right away ?
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:15   #146
Senior - BHPian

Really unfortunate experience with this gentleman, however, he is rating 11KPL mileage as average for a 2.2 liter 2.5 ton vehicle! This looks like an electrical short circuit somewhere- can happen with other vehicles too.

Buying safari (like many other vehicles) is a bit of "hit-n-miss", probably bit more for Safari. But, not every safari is a lemon. Follow your gut and mind and then decide.

Regarding few of my experiences in last 1.5+ years, driven ~10,500 kms so far. Never had such a problem. During this period, I've traveled with then ~3 month pregnant wife and and 5 years old daughter on board, alone, for about 100kms between Kolhapur and Ratnagiri through Amba Ghat when sun was setting in the horizon. My very first outstation trip was with only family, was through Brahmanwada, Otur (ineteriors of rural maharashtra) with broken roads and jarring ghat sections to Bhandardara. And, recently through Ambenali ghat (Mahabaleshwar) in rains with entire family (including 4month old son). Visibility was <10mtrs. I am first time diesel driver. For these terrains in the circumstances, one needs to trust his/her vehicle... my respect for Safari has grown more. Yes it is not perfect, e.g. ratlles and gaps in plastics, but, then I know, it is a complete VFM for me and takes me comfortably wherever I intend to go.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 22nd August 2010 at 10:23. Reason: minor edit
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:23   #147
BHPian

@Kamal,

I find myself in the same situation! If I make this buy, this maybe the car for few long years to come - yet the prospect/probability that it 'maybe' the 'odd one' to have the niggling issues - keeps me away!!!
wish you good luck!
Anyone in here knows when is the "new Safari due?"
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:32   #148
BHPian

Hello Friends

I took delivery of my Pearl white safari GX 4x2 today at about 1230PM from KHT motors

I have got all the promised freebies. Registration also done.

Something i noticed during the drive from showroom to office, the temp needle stayed in middle mostly. Is that normal cos in my earlier vehicle it stays well below the middle mark

thanks
Keyan
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:32   #149
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Keyank, have a wonderful time owning a Safari, yes, the temp needle does stay in the middle once the engine has warmed up, it is normal.
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:11   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyank View Post
Hello Friends

I took delivery of my Pearl white safari GX 4x2 today at about 1230PM from KHT motors

I have got all the promised freebies. Registration also done.

Something i noticed during the drive from showroom to office, the temp needle stayed in middle mostly. Is that normal cos in my earlier vehicle it stays well below the middle mark

thanks
Keyan
Awesome Keyan - Congratulations !!!
If you had PM'ed me, I would have also come in there KHT is very close to my work

Enjoy the ride, have a safe motoring with rocking Safari !

Lets stop here and you should start your own thread with all the relevant details.

Prem.

Most Viewed