Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 11:25   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

I am not trying to put out a generic insult to the safari.
I just feel that unless its talked about,it never gets addressed.
well let me assure you people have been talking for last 10 year and if they continue to talk for next 10 as well but I highly doubt it will improve because the vehicle will be replaced by entirely new model in another 1-2 years.

But frankly tell me what is so bad in the 3 pictures you have posted ? Is it the sole point which forces you to either fork out 8-10 more lakhs of rupees or willing to scale down drive-ability requirements ?

If answer is yes to first gather 20+ lakhs or may be Indica Vista quadrajet Aura+ ( cheapest option with good fit-finish , engine , ABS and Airbags) is much better at less cost. or it can be i20 at slightly higher cost and more Airbags.

BTW This is not specific to Safari as the other option Scorpio has same interior and exterior fit and finish issues. IMHO Scorpio owners are lot less cribber when it comes to fit and finish.They prefer to call the panel gaps in bumper or protruding door hinges as adding to macho character :-)

Last edited by amitk26 : 16th August 2010 at 11:29.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:49   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

yeah, i ve heard about the scorpio.veddy macho!
you see, the panel gaps are there to accomodate expansion during summers!!

anyway, nothing THAT wrong with the pics.Just messes up one's peace of mind.
but if it is to be expected, it is to be expected.

its a car owners dilemma, i suppose.a 100 things may be brilliant, but you'll only notice the one thing that is wrong.
guess thats what hydrocarbons do to your brain cells.

My tuppence is spent.

BTW, what are tata replacing the safari with?any concepts been shown?
and why are they doing it?it still holds it own quite well,thank you.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:20   #123
BHPian

this is completely OT here, still, what does the new safari ad mean? are those two blokes floating around expecting safari to rise from the ocean?!

iam completely clueless.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:31   #124
BHPian

i have booked the GX 4x2 pearl white. should get delivery in a day or two.

Decision to go with Safari (i was actually heading to Scorpio and would have got a top end GX price)

1. better seat comfort than scorpio (specially the middle and last row is bench like)
2. reasonably better plastic quality and dash board than scorpio
3. Roof AC (scorpio dealer will do an after market fitment for 40K approx, not sure of the fitment quality)
4. less body roll than scorpio

my 2 bit
thanks
keyan
Old 16th August 2010, 12:38   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
this is completely OT here, still, what does the new safari ad mean? are those two blokes floating around expecting safari to rise from the ocean?!
iam completely clueless.
My guess: one of the guys claimed that the Safari was available for 7.75 lakhs, and they went out to find it. Unfortunately they went too far, just because they believed that the Safari could go anywhere.

If this is indeed the explanation, I'd say that the admen didn't do their jobs properly (or Tata reduced it's media budget). This seems to be from the same class as the "you gotta be dumb" (Indica Xeta ad, which I consider to be the singularly worst ad by Tata, ever).

The Safari ads used to be so good, that one felt like one had to buy the car. I know we have a separate thread for Safari ads, but a little OT shouldn't hurt too much, o here's one of my favourites.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:42   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
My guess: one of the guys claimed that the Safari was available for 7.75 lakhs, and they went out to find it. Unfortunately they went too far, just because they believed that the Safari could go anywhere. ...
You must be kidding me
This is even more complicated than Memento, Inception or the other gems from Chris Nolan's stable.

How many aam-junta customers will TATA successfully convey the message to - ZERO, IMO.
Old 16th August 2010, 12:51   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
You must be kidding me
This is even more complicated than Memento, Inception or the other gems from Chris Nolan's stable.

How many aam-junta customers will TATA successfully convey the message to - ZERO, IMO.
Haha... I agree completely. Although, there is a significant chance that I didn't get it either. In that case too, your second sentence stands true
Old 16th August 2010, 13:01   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
you see, the panel gaps are there to accomodate expansion during summers!!
@Mayank, you can't be serious. Esp with the higher guage sheets on the Tata's (compared to many other makes)
Old 16th August 2010, 13:18   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Mayank, you can't be serious. Esp with the higher guage sheets on the Tata's (compared to many other makes)
most definitely not serious, condor.
just trying to alleviate the energy here.

yeah, i know about the higher guage sheets on tatas(i think compared to ANY other make!!).
had a run in with an indicab with my 97 zen a long time back.
totally disparate results!!
zen's door looked like a crushed coke can.
indicab? hardly a dent on it!!

Last edited by mayankk : 16th August 2010 at 13:19. Reason: typo removed
Old 17th August 2010, 00:38   #130
Senior - BHPian

Mayankk, I failed to see whatever fault you are pointing at in those 3 pics that you posted, except that the quality of pics is very poor. In any case, I do not see much point in spending 20L+ on another SUV just because a power window switch is not nice to touch. In any case, no vehicle is perfect. You may spend 20L+ on another car and still find some shortcomings in it?

Ten years on, and Safari still looks contemporary and waaay better than many costlier options. I saw a spanking new Red Safari this morning and Oh, My God how sexy it looked. At traffic lights, it stole everybody's attention. I was so mesmerized, I followed it upto 3rd intersection before making a u-turn.
Old 17th August 2010, 07:25   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Mayankk, I failed to see whatever fault you are pointing at in those 3 pics that you posted, except that the quality of pics is very poor. In any case, I do not see much point in spending 20L+ on another SUV just because a power window switch is not nice to touch. In any case, no vehicle is perfect....................................., it stole everybody's attention. I was so mesmerized, I followed it upto 3rd intersection before making a u-turn.
Oh sweet lord.what did i do.
pgsagar:yes the pictures are bad, as i have a bad bad camera.
Nobody asked so i thought the defects were visible.
the pictures depict the parts coming off.
Off, you see. and i shouldn't mind.

anyway, checked the advert posted here y'day, ended up seeing ALL safari ads on youtube.
Man does it do a good job of making you want one.
Old 17th August 2010, 11:07   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nobody asked so i thought the defects were visible.
the pictures depict the parts coming off.
Off, you see. and i shouldn't mind.
Well they look bad as fit and finish is bad but can vouch that you can still hang putting your full weight on that handle mounted on roof and hang through it and it will not come out just do this experiment in the Safari you clicked the pic. Similarly on the door handle that plastic is just a cover to conceal the screw try pulling it out without a screwdriver.

This is lot better then some other vehicles where fit and finish is perfect but apply some force and things break apart.

Power window switch looks really damaged and the owner should claim warranty . TML replace non-mechanical cosmetic parts such as leather steering and leather gear gator leather under warranty ( I got mine replaced after 2 years), I don't know how many other manufacturers do so.
Old 17th August 2010, 11:19   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

yes.
I agree.
warranty clause invoked.
all parts replaced.
Tata dealer itself acknowledged that this happens with almost all their new vehicles, and they have to fix for free what the factory should have done.
I am happy for my friend that he got what he paid for, in my eyes at least.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:54   #134
Senior - BHPian

Mayankk, you should go for a Safari if you have set your mind on it. Trust me, at this size and road presence, it is maximum bang for your bucks. You can't get a better deal than this. A Scorp is good too but it is very cramped compared to Safari. Get a Red Safari and see the number of eyeballs you catch. As it is, it towers over everything else available on 4 wheels, in India.
Old 19th August 2010, 21:43   #135
BHPian

Whilst I agree that the Safari is a great vehicle, I somehow feel that it could have been made a little more powerful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks