Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2010, 00:34   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
Lower emissions.

Besides, only BS IV certified vehicles can be sold in 13 cities (Delhi & NCR, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Surat, Ahmedabad, Kanpur, Agra, Solapur and Lucknow) from April 1, 2010. This affects all new car sales in these cities.

Since you are in Kolkata, you can buy and register only BS IV certified vehicles after April 1. Refer to the BS IV specific threads on TBHP for further information
thanks brother for that information. i did know about the emission standards but not that in these 13 cities, we will not be able to purchase non BS4 compliant vehicles. Thanks to my early decision, I already bought my GX 2 months back.
Old 28th March 2010, 21:52   #107
BHPian

Is there an all new Safari 2010?

I noticed the dealer price list called the Safari 2010 that we talked about earlier (chrome) as minor facelift variant. There is also a minor price drop.

Does anyone have any scoop on the "major" change variant?
Old 5th August 2010, 23:23   #108
BHPian

Updated prices on Safari

( Ex showroom Delhi )

Tata Safari 2010-safari.jpg

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 5th August 2010 at 23:26.
Old 15th August 2010, 20:49   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
( Ex showroom Delhi )

Attachment 400584
Oh, this one really had me ,well, squirming..
7.75 L? have a look at the pics, its from an LX version, granted, but a 2 day old car doesn't deserve to have such shoddy quality!!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2010-dsc_0357.jpg  

Tata Safari 2010-dsc_0359.jpg  

Tata Safari 2010-dsc_0361.jpg  

Old 16th August 2010, 01:00   #110
BHPian

The next thing (slightly) better will cost you +20L.

For the price, its a good deal.

Take it or leave it.
Old 16th August 2010, 07:04   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
The next thing (slightly) better will cost you +20L.

For the price, its a good deal.

Take it or leave it.
hmmmm.that seems to be exactly the attitude of tata itself.
are you excusing the quality?
i'm surprised.
Old 16th August 2010, 07:17   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
hmmmm.that seems to be exactly the attitude of tata itself.
are you excusing the quality?
i'm surprised.
While it is true that the next best thing costs 20lakhs (I personally am not fond of the Scorpio, because I think Mahindra went the wrong way with the styling), I'd say that excusing the quality is not the right attitude.

The Safari is still the Tata flagship, and any flagship product shouldn't have these issues. Specially for a product that has been in the market for this long a time. Especially since fixing these flaws is not exactly rocket science. Make no mistake, I love the Safari, I never think too much about interior fit and finish, as long as they adhere to a certain minimum standard. This I'm afraid, just doesn't cut it.

I have a theory about this that I'd like to share; with the cars that Tata Motors has churned out recently (Vista, Manza and the Nano), they have shown that they can get the interiors right (at their respective pricepoints). On the other hand, look at the Sumo Grande Mark II, and the Safari, they both have really poor quality of interior fit and finish. There are two options:

a. The UV material sourcing and quality control is handled by a different team. Then, there is the fact that the assembly lines for the Safari are the older ones, and not the ones at Ranjangaon where the Vista and Manza are being produced.
b. Tata Motors has too much stuff on it's plate to focus on things like this (Aria etc.), and the upgrades are scheduled for the next product upgrade.

Both of the above options don't show Tata Motors in good light, but all one needs to do is to look at the Aria thread to know where they are headed.

Mayankk, if you are planning to pick up the Safari, and this is putting you off, I'd suggest a couple of things:

a. Go to the stockyard, check out the various LX models in stock. Look at the fit and finish for each of them. You'll notice that it actually varies (sad but true).
b. If you find a colour of your choice, with slightly better fit and finish, pick up that one.

Last edited by Amartya : 16th August 2010 at 07:20.
Old 16th August 2010, 08:10   #113
BHPian

Adding to Amartya's comment above, what I have observed is that Tata manufacturing team leaves a lot of opportunity for the service folks to fit it right in its first service.

Thats very much true for Safari and being a big/chunky vehicle like Safari is bound to have these kind of fit/finish issues along with some door and seat rattling issues.

Not to worry about these and trust me, all these would get fixed right in a month's time (1st service).

I own a Safari for 6 months now and a Marina (Petrol) for about 5.5 yrs now. So, you can trust me better

Mayankk, Good luck, Go ahead with Safari [if your image refers to your friend's vehicle] and trust me, you wont regret for these minor issues when you start driving it !

Prem.
Old 16th August 2010, 08:32   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Thats very much true for Safari and being a big/chunky vehicle like Safari is bound to have these kind of fit/finish issues along with some door and seat rattling issues.
Is this the case with all big/chunky vehicles? Should we ignore fit/finish issues for big/chunky vehicles?
Old 16th August 2010, 09:29   #115
Senior - BHPian

Mayankk the picture you have posted is of costlier EX model and not LX so sorry to disturb you even more. ( EX is approx 1.4 L more then LX)

Issue 2 and 3 can be fixed by pressing with your thumb , Issue 1 looks like damaged power window switch.

If you are put off by these kind of things do not buy Safari may be a hatch with better interior such as i20 will suits better. One should buy a Safari if the attitude is not to get disturbed by plastics and rather enjoy the ride and power of the vehicle in the given range.

No way I mean to condone TML for shoddy interiors but above is hard fact which every buyer should know and make informed decision.
Old 16th August 2010, 10:25   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

well, i have wanted to buy a safari for as long as the "reclaim your life" bit has been running.earlier i couldnt because of money, now i didnt, as i weighed the pros and cons(specifically the delhi/GGN traffic, and dearth of parking in office)
the snaps are from a friend's ride, part of a fleet, so probably thats why he wasnt too particular about the fit and finish.
Amit: the tailgate says LX and BS4, so i think they've made some changes to the base version i suppose(???)

none of the issues got solved with the quick fix solution.kept popping back out.

but i seriuosly did not understand that comment that this is the best you can get for such a price.i thought that era went out with the 3-years-waiting-period in the license raj(for a scooter, if i recall).

An appeasement : the tailslide advert, with the red safari?
total jaw dropping stuff.
would love to have it as a getaway vehicle.will do it definitely.
No other vehicle, IMO, has held its age so well.
Old 16th August 2010, 10:42   #117
Senior - BHPian

Issues, niggles et al are there in the safari and are unpardonable, esp after being onthe road for 12 years.

But you got to hand it to TML for one thing- even today, a Safari can hold its own in the road presence and looks department against much newer SUVs- this design has truly stood the test of time well and does not in any manner look dated. To add to that is the superb paint finish on the safari- honestly, look at any 5 year old safari and compare its paint finish to another 5 year old car and you will see what I mean. earlier Safaris shared the same Paint shop as Mercs- dont know if this is still the case.

Oh, and when it comes to TV adverts, they are in a league of their own. My purchase of the Safari was in no small measure influenced by "reclaim your life"- an instant classic!

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 16th August 2010 at 10:43.
Old 16th August 2010, 10:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

none of the issues got solved with the quick fix solution.kept popping back out.

but i seriuosly did not understand that comment that this is the best you can get for such a price.i thought that era went out with the 3-years-waiting-period in the license raj(for a scooter, if i recall).
Mayankk let me explain the comment from my perspective.

there are two kinds of buyers one who consider fit of plastics inside , panel gaps ( sic) and parking space and top speed as prime requirements. For these kinds of requirements you have plenty of options under 9 lakhs (Safari LX which is advertised as 7.75L Ex showroom will cost 9.27 L on road in Bangalore ).

But you are a buyer who has following requirements

1. Ability to cruse 1000 Km in a day on Indian highways with family in comfirt.
2. Ability to do occasional offroad or on bad roads without breaking suspension.
3. Good Cabin space so that knees and shoulders of occupants do not pain.
4. Good AC
5. Good ride comfirt with out wobbling and churning water in your stomach.
6. Good ground clearance so that you are not worried about breaking your sump
7. Good suspension so that you need not come to 5 km/hr on a typical big speed breaker hump.
8. Ability to carry luggage for 4-5 adults for a week long road trip.
9. Modern powerful diesel engine with good fuel economy.
10. Driving comfirt with necessary bells and whistles.
11. Good looking aerodynamic design.
12. Low cost of ownership and maintenance.
13. Access to proper A.S.S support network and not rely on jugad maintenance ( typical to 2nd hand imported 10 year old SUV which are touted as better alternative to desi SUV)

Now in the same budget there are plenty of options but if above 13 requirements are of prime concern then budget definitely goes north of 20 Lakhs on road.

The compromise is on interior plastic finish which is secondary to many buyers.

PS : Scorpio is another viable option.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:11   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Mayankk let me explain the comment from my perspective.

there are two kinds of buyers one who consider fit of plastics inside , panel gaps ( sic) and parking space and top speed as prime requirements. For these kinds of requirements you have plenty of options under 9 lakhs (Safari LX whi............................................... finish which is secondary to many buyers.

PS : Scorpio is another viable option.

Hey, you got my requirements down pat!
in fact, you got some down which even i didnt realise i had.
And as a buyer, shelling out what is definitely not a small amount by any means, I can be forgiven for my expectations.
no?
well, i guess, lets raise the savings plan bar a bit higher then, to get to the 20L mark.
can someone compare the BQ of the LX to the higher end models?
i'm sure its much better, and maybe i can only spend 11L to get all-of-the-above?

Pleae, guys.Dont take offense.
I am not trying to put out a generic insult to the safari.
I just feel that unless its talked about,it never gets addressed.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:23   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Oh, and when it comes to TV adverts, they are in a league of their own. My purchase of the Safari was in no small measure influenced by "reclaim your life"- an instant classic!
Couldnt agree more, did you check the latest Safari ad? one that talks about Safari range starts at 7.75L?

Most Viewed