Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 17:11   #91
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet CRUZE and MAGNUM.
Look wise they may not be called as SLEEPER cars but the brand CHEVROLET does work as a disguise factor to make them SLEEPER IMO.

Last edited by kpzen : 18th February 2010 at 17:12.
Old 20th February 2010, 15:34   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I think Nexia variant was pretty fast, i guess it had ~100BHP with 16valve head.

Yeah it delivered close to 100bhp and I have driven it just once but I do not think it was faster than the esteem or maybe the culprit was the gearbox as the car I drove had a really notchy gearbox and I literally had to wrestle with it to slot the gears.

Talking about straight line acceleration/top speeds both the Getz CRDi and Innova Petrol can surprise road users. Take these two cars and replace Getz's CRDi TURBO badging with 1.1 GLE and Innova's VVTi with D-4D and we do have a couple of sleeper cars.

Regards.
Old 29th November 2011, 16:30   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: India's ultimate sleeper cars currently in production

Alto K10 IMO can be classified as the most affordable sleeper car of the smallest proportion currently available since it has a absolute power of 88 BHP/T with that 1litre free revving motor under its hood. It would be difficult for any other manufacturer to match both its power and price points.
Old 29th November 2011, 16:51   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Alto K10 IMO can be classified as the most affordable sleeper car of the smallest proportion currently available since it has a absolute power of 88 BHP/T with that 1litre free revving motor under its hood. It would be difficult for any other manufacturer to match both its power and price points.
@girishglg - Just a small correction, the Alto K10's engine is rated at 68BHp and not 88 BHP.
a*ed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 18:09   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
@girishglg - Just a small correction, the Alto K10's engine is rated at 68BHp and not 88 BHP.
@a*ed: 88BHP/Tonne is the power to weight ratio of th K10 Alto that Girishlg is referring in his post. 68 BHP is the output but Alto weighs around 700kgs only.
harimakesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 23:22   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
@a*ed: 88BHP/Tonne is the power to weight ratio of th K10 Alto that Girishlg is referring in his post. 68 BHP is the output but Alto weighs around 700kgs only.
Sir if u do not mind my 2 ents the alto weighs 750+kgs as I have one and have checked the manual.Not arguing about bhp/ton though.
What about Indigo dicor I have one and compared to Indigo Tdi and some other cars its a diesel rocket .

Last edited by anky : 29th November 2011 at 23:23.
Old 30th November 2011, 08:31   #97
BHPian

According to me, if a car has to be called a sleeper, it has to make at least 50% more power than the variant sold in abundance AND end up at 100+bhp. That way, It can actually keep up with a much more expensive car and have the 'other' owner sweating.

That way, both Indigo Dicor and Alto K10 miss out on being called sleepers. The only sleepers in my list are

All cars with the Badging replaced/removed
Accord V6
Laura TSI
Octavia TPI
Innova 2.0 Petrol
Superb V6
Getz CRDi
Bolero CRDe
Palio 1.6(in a sober green/black colour)
All the other fast cars are too big attention seekers/Not sleepy enough.

Why Bolero? Because THATS the car which you will never expect to overtake you when you are doing 120. Thats a trait of a true sleeper. Leave the other guy sleeping.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 10:37   #98
BHPian

My favourite is the Ford Fusion. SUV like go anywhere with accleration & stability that can make people stare in disbelief. And suberb handling, though a bit of bosy roll.
Old 30th November 2011, 16:14   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
@harimakesh - I stand corrected. Had totally missed the power-to-weight ratio part.
Old 30th November 2011, 16:41   #100
Senior - BHPian

Alto K10 is sheer Fun for Money! I doubt if any other manufacturer would be able to beat it in 'Power to Money' ratio
The Hyundai i10 1.2 Kappa I feel, is another pocket rocket which looks just like any other economy hatch.
Old 30th November 2011, 16:57   #101
Senior - BHPian

A debadged linea t-jet is the best sleeper this side of 10lacs amongst all cars available.

Someone mentioned i10 - trust me you'd be overtaking no one with that car. Its scary to drive it at any speed beyond 60-70.
Old 30th November 2011, 17:02   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The Hyundai i10 1.2 Kappa I feel, is another pocket rocket which looks just like any other economy hatch.

Hyundai i10 Kappa2 has got the ability to embarrass higher segment cars with 1.6 liter hearts . With an extremely favorable power to weight ratio aided by the flexibility of VTVT , it can be extremely quick for a car which looks like just another small city hatch .
Old 30th November 2011, 21:51   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Someone mentioned i10 - trust me you'd be overtaking no one with that car. Its scary to drive it at any speed beyond 60-70.
Are you that sure? Are you? We were recently cruising on 90-100 kmph along the NH4 and I was certainly not putting the lives of my family and I at grave risk. With windows up, AC on, music on, zero engine sound and an excellent NH4 road between Tumkur and Hubli, the drive was superb and the i10 performed flawless.

Trust me, we did overtake quite a few cars along the way. Not that those cars were unable to potentially move faster or that their respective drivers were unwilling to do so, but we were quite comfortable at speeds a little over 60-70 kmph.

Going by sidindica's definition of a sleeper car in the first post of this thread, I would consider the i10 as a "A sleeper (car) that has high performance and an unassuming exterior."

Our 4-yr-old daughter would also agree that the i10 is a sleeper car -- she was "sleeping" soundly in the car at regular intervals during our inter-state journey!

Last edited by misquitas : 30th November 2011 at 22:00.
Old 1st December 2011, 01:09   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
With windows up, AC on, music on, zero engine sound and an excellent NH4 road between Tumkur and Hubli, the drive was superb and the i10 performed flawless.
Going by sidindica's definition of a sleeper car in the first post of this thread, I would consider the i10 as a "A sleeper (car) that has high performance and an unassuming exterior."
A debadged i10 Kappa2 is definitely a sleeper car!!

Quote:
Our 4-yr-old daughter would also agree that the i10 is a sleeper car -- she was "sleeping" soundly in the car at regular intervals during our inter-state journey!
Old 1st December 2011, 10:39   #105
Senior - BHPian

Ultimate would be the previous gen Verna 1.5 CRDi! It looks no where as fast as it really is. But it cannot occupy its position here as it is no more in production.
Currently the Etios is my favourite sleeper sedan. I couldn't believe either its 0-100 timings or its track performance. Its simply too sober looking for some spirited driving.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks