Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 15:38   #106

My neighbour just took delivery of a Berry Red i20 Magna, and it is the updated version with the chrome grille, silver finish center console, USB port, blue instrument cluster et al.

So yes, deliveries for the new cars with additional updated features has started.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:16   #107
BHPian

Interesting developments on the I20.
I just called Advaith Hyundai to get the on-road prices in Bangalore, but the sales man said that there are no changes in the Diesel variant. The new models Era and Sportz are available only on the Petrol variants . Could anyone please confirm if the Diesel changes are also for real ?
Old 7th April 2010, 16:31   #108
Senior - BHPian

I'm the happiest guy alive, I bought my Asta before all this. Everytime I googled the i20 the search showed images f the UK-spec hatch which had this god-awful silver finish for the HU and the AC vents, and that horrendous chrome strip on the grille.

What I wish I had, but I still don't care about, is the turn indicators. What i do care about, is the missing burglar alarm.

All in all, relieved, or I would have rejected this i20 and bought something else
Old 7th April 2010, 16:46   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshA View Post
The six speed transmission looks like a industry first for Hatches. Good to see this coming. It'll make highway driving more pleasant.
+1 to that. This will cement the position i20 as the best diesel hatch in the country.

Last edited by hpzone : 7th April 2010 at 16:52.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:54   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this turn indicator on orvms anything but a gimmick?

The main point of having an indicator on the side of the car (to me at least) is that it can be seen when neither front nor rear can. Are not the mirror indicaters only really visible from the front?

The look neat, but are they really useful?

All this silver fascia stuff, to me, looks horrible. The posted photos show how good it looked before.

Anyway, I don't plan to buy for two years, and everything might have changed by then. I think that the current iteration is just making sure that I don't wake up one day sooner and say to my wife, "Never mind the budget: I'm going out to get an i20!"
Old 7th April 2010, 17:02   #111
Senior - BHPian

The Hyundai website has a lot of glitches. Can't view all specs and features. Also at some places, they still have pictures of the old dashboard.

The silver finish console isn't that bad. It looks fine IMO. Blue LED lighting is better than the red one. This is more soothing to eyes. Plus, blue backlit speedo with red needles look fab!

Last edited by theragingbull : 7th April 2010 at 17:04.
Old 7th April 2010, 17:08   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubeen View Post
really nice deal with the magna sportz!!

Wonder why hyundai did not come out with these versions at the outset itself.

As an existing Magna owner i now feel short changed.

In the previous avatars of the i20 the next version of the i20 after the magna was the asta and at 90000 more than the magna was way out of budget. Really dont mind the extra 30000 for the features offered in the sportz model. No way Hyundai can retrofit those features for an existing magna model now!!!

:(
The problem is Getz. If they had eliminated it earlier then they could have sold the i20 as a proper replacement without worrying about cannibalizing Getz sales.

All the looks related comments are very subjective. Having booked the i20 a week ago, I am now anxious and eager to ensure that I get the new version. If you really want the older (less chrome) looks, consider "lateral upgrading" to a gently worshipped used car

The indicators on the ORVMs give it a premium look - I may be mistaken here, but mostly Mercedeses seem to have it and no other sub 10L car has it. However the vanity mirror makes my wife happy (and gets us out of home sooner!) and the theft alarm is very good to have.

Last edited by vishwas : 7th April 2010 at 17:24.
Old 7th April 2010, 18:05   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is this turn indicator on orvms anything but a gimmick?

The main point of having an indicator on the side of the car (to me at least) is that it can be seen when neither front nor rear can. Are not the mirror indicaters only really visible from the front?
also, that will mean more replacement costs for the ORVMs as they are the most prone part to be knocked off.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th April 2010 at 18:59. Reason: fixed the quoted post
Old 7th April 2010, 18:10   #114
BHPian

From PTI wire service:
New Delhi, Apr 7 (PTI) Hyundai Motor India Ltd today launched a new version of its premium compact car i20 priced between Rs 4.52 lakh and Rs 7.48 lakh, while adding two more variants to its existing range.
The company said it has added new features to its existing variants Magna (base model priced Rs 4.91 lakh) and Asta (top-end priced up to Rs 7.48 lakh), while introducing two new levels, Era (priced at Rs 4.52 lakh, thus, becoming the entry level) and Sportz (Rs 5.32 lakh, positioned between the Magna and the Asta).
Era and Sportz will be available both in petrol and diesel variants.
With the new i20 range, the diesel version across all the variants will be available in six speed manual transmission, the company said. Besides, the new i20 will have added features like manual transmission shift indicators in diesel variants, a prompt for the driver to change gears to maximum fuel economy.
It will also have fully automatic temperature control system (in Magna), a burglar alarm, steering wheel with audio remote and passenger vanity mirror (in Sportz and Asta), it added.
It works out to a Rs40,000 drop in prices
Old 7th April 2010, 18:48   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
+1 to that. This will cement the position i20 as the best diesel hatch in the country.
Rather, will first make it the best and then ceent that position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No. Even when the mirrors are open, all mirror turn indicators are still always visible to the cars beside and behind the vehicle. Even the aftermarket ones. It is not just a case of aesthetics over functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
The silver finish console isn't that bad.
You're right... it's terrible !!

Quote:
Blue LED lighting is better than the red one. This is more soothing to eyes. Plus, blue backlit speedo with red needles look fab!
Oh that's another thing with me. I loved the i20's red backlighting, and now with the Beemer also having the red scheme of things, I simply hate going back to the white dials of the Corolla !! Forget blue altogether. The only blue I've seen and loved is in the Passat we TD'd.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 7th April 2010 at 18:50.
Old 7th April 2010, 19:32   #116
BANNED

IMO it is fantastic upgrade. i20 has always been a dark horse in the Hyundai stable, and have been there in, there abouts as far as sales are concerned. From first hand experience, i really didn't find the upgrade from i10 to i20 to be as massive as to command a premium of 2L. But now, i20 is probably the best premium hatch, and scores above the Polo, again, IMO. But it'll be interesting to see how the dealerships respond to the upturn in bookings, if any. Because i remember they had a waiting period of a month - absolutely shocking, because even a new car like Figo had a shorter waiting period

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWizard View Post
Interesting developments on the I20.
I just called Advaith Hyundai to get the on-road prices in Bangalore, but the sales man said that there are no changes in the Diesel variant. The new models Era and Sportz are available only on the Petrol variants . Could anyone please confirm if the Diesel changes are also for real ?

yes, the changes also pertain to diesel variants. as a matter of fact, the industry-class-first 6-speed Manual transmission is only on the diesel variants.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th April 2010 at 20:02.
Old 7th April 2010, 20:28   #117
BHPian

does anyone have any idea about the prices for the diesel variants.?
Old 7th April 2010, 20:59   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
yes, the changes also pertain to diesel variants. as a matter of fact, the industry-class-first 6-speed Manual transmission is only on the diesel variants.
When I checked the Hyundai website, I was astonished to see a 6-speed manual transmission in the diesel variant. Kudos to Hyundai for offering a real upgrade and not just cosmetic changes like many other premium brands.
Now, please, can I have an HPS instead of that EPS
Old 7th April 2010, 21:27   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
the website has been updated with features, but prices have not been put up.

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...311210150.html

ABS in now NOT standard on diesel magna. and no news about the discs brakes on all 4 wheels?
Yeah, no ABS on the Sportz as well. I suppose Hyundai values all the bells and whistles more than safety. Or atleast that is the janata feed back.
Old 7th April 2010, 22:26   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post

No. Even when the mirrors are open, all mirror turn indicators are still always visible to the cars beside and behind the vehicle. Even the aftermarket ones. It is not just a case of aesthetics over functionality.

how can they be visible from behind when they are present on the front surface of the mirrors.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks