Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2018, 10:03   #76

Re: Scrapping of Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Thank you! This is very useful. However their site indicates scrapping only in Mumbai and Delhi NCR. Any one aware of reliable agencies in Bangalore?
I had to get my bike scrapped which is in Mumbai. I got in touch with these guys. They are operational only in Delhi. If you need to get your vehicle scrapped through them, you will have arrange a drop at their recycle plant in Noida.
mguliani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 12:00   #77
Senior - BHPian

For safer roads, India needs vehicle scrappage policy: IRF Chairman

Quote:
In the interest of road safety, the Indian government should roll out an appropriate vehicle scrappage policy at the earliest to get rid of the old and unclaimed vehicles, a top official of International Road Federation (IRF) said.

Seeing the massive numbers of new vehicles that hit the Indian roads every year, Kiran Kumar Kapila, Chairman, IRF, opined that vehicles beyond a certain age should not be plying on the road in order to minimise congestion as well as road fatalities.
Article Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 16:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

Does some one know the contacts/procedures to scrap a two wheeler in Bangalore city?
Old 4th April 2019, 14:50   #79
BHPian

Bump.

Similar query here - I have a 2001 Registered car (with MH registration) and I am based out of Bangalore. I want to scrap it and am looking at the right way to do it.

Any pointers to do it the right way would be very helpful.
Old 3rd July 2019, 12:24   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki invests in vehicle scrapping technology in tie up with Toyota unit

Maruti Suzuki have indicated that they’re running a pilot project in a joint venture with a Japanese company.

Link
Old 3rd July 2019, 13:40   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Are there any companies which deal with scrapping of vehicles?
Hey, I got my 2008 model Chevy U-VA scrapped through Mahindra MSTC Recycling Pvt. Ltd. They have a recycling plant in Greater Noida (Delhi NCR). They gave me 20k and a destruction certificate. RC cancellation and other documentation is their headache. A customer can call Cero's toll free number 1800-267-6000 or log on to www.cerorecyling.com.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th November 2019 at 18:55. Reason: Quote trimmed.
NAVREVV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 09:43   #82
BHPian

Hi
Anyone has experience with car scrapping in Mumbai?
I could not find any proper channel / company through which car can be scrapped

My Fiat Petra will be 15 years in few months. The clutch release bearing has gone kaput and I feel now I need a change so makes no sense to carry repairs, hence want to scrap it

It will be great if someone can provide any leads for the same

TIA
Old 1st October 2019, 15:36   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Scrappage Policy to apply polluter-pays principle, 1900% hike in fee for re-registered vehicles.
Quote:
As per the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) estimates, there are over 20 crore vehicles registered in the country. The government says, an analysis of the segment and age of vehicles causing air pollution shows that M&HCVs and LCVs (primarily taxis and three-wheelers) contribute around 65-70% of the vehicular pollution while they constitute only about 5 percent of the total fleet.

Of these, the older commercial vehicles, which were manufactured before the year 2000, constitute less than 1% of the total fleet but contribute 15% to the total vehicular pollution, and pollute 10-25 times more than a modern vehicle.
It is learnt that the government plans to come down hard on old, polluting vehicles by imposing stiff hikes of a minimum 1900 percent on renewal of vehicle registration.

Scrapping of Cars-1.jpg

Furthermore, the government may also explore offering an exemption of payment of registration fee on all new electric vehicles and IC engine vehicles bought against a scrappage certificate.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 17:53   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

A good article by Mr Gautam Sen, who looks at the car scrapping scenario abjectively, from various countries in the world. In most civilised countries it is not co-ercive but voluntary. Japan imposes stiff taxes for renewal of registration for older cars, while China makes it co-ercive.

https://www.moneylife.in/article/aut...e-i/58439.html

Thankfully, our new automobile draft scrapping policy by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways released last week, is voluntary, not co-ercive. All praises to the MoRTH if the draft policy becomes an official one as it is.

But then the automobile lobby compising manufacturers, dealers and newly appended and duly aided by the vehicle scrappers (represented as on date by Mr Sumit Issar, CEO of CERO, the only licensed scrapper in India- a Mahindra and Mahindra offshoot) is now crying hoarse, saying this will not have the desired impact to increase automobile sales and needs to be made co-ercive, based on the mileage and age of a motor vehicle. Mr Sumit Issar is an "EXPERT" now, as per the ET newsreport and talks highly about the "end of the life vehicle". I have tweeted to Mr Anand Mahindra that there is no such thing as "end of the life" for motor vehicles, as 100 plus year old cars and bikes still survive and and fit with papers.
The link to today's ET newsreport with views from such "EXPERTS".

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/71680090.cms

As I have said in many of my posts, India is a poor country where many buy an automobile if ever, once in a lifetime. He or she as a buyer cannot be co-erced to visit showrooms with the meagre income every now and then, to just satisfy the lobby of "Automobile Kings", who are looking out for artificial doses of boosters to grow and contain the rot they are in now.

The automobile lobby and those "EXPERTS" need to talk to the government to generate natural demand, by energising the economy and not look out for such surrogate methods like "co-ercive scrapping" to artificially boost automobile sales.

(please note that when I speak of vehicles it is about only privately owned vehicles and not commercial vehicles)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st October 2019 at 18:00.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 18:25   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
But then the automobile lobby compising manufacturers, dealers and newly appended and duly aided by the vehicle scrappers (represented as on date by Mr Sumit Issar, CEO of CERO, the only licensed scrapper in India- a Mahindra and Mahindra offshoot) is now crying hoarse, saying this will not have the desired impact to increase automobile sales and needs to be made co-ercive, based on the mileage and age of a motor vehicle. Mr Sumit Issar is an "EXPERT" now, as per the ET newsreport and talks highly about the "end of the life vehicle". I have tweeted to Mr Anand Mahindra that there is no such thing as "end of the life" for motor vehicles, as 100 plus year old cars and bikes still survive and and fit with papers.
The link to today's ET newsreport with views from such "EXPERTS".

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/71680090.cms

(please note that when I speak of vehicles it is about only privately owned vehicles and not commercial vehicles)
My retort today in The Economic Times, Chat Room, page 16 (22.10.2019) to the proposals based on yesterday's (21.10.2019) newsreport in this paper regarding scrappage of motor vehicles (the link is as above from yesterday's post of mine).

Quote:
Scrap Plan for Car Scrappage
This refers to ‘‘Govt’s Vehicle Scrappage Plan may Not Bear Fruit without Age Limit’’ by Nehal Chaliawala (Oct 21). The scrappers and vehicle manufacturers want to force owners to get rid of their old, and, in most cases, prized, possessions, and to coerce them to buy newer ones. There is no end of life as far as motor vehicles are concerned; we have 100+-year-old cars and mobikes still fit and running. Vehicle scrapping should be fully optional for privately owned motor vehicles and any coercion should be labelled as an unfair trade practice.
ANJAN CHATTERJEE
Secretary, Cent Ind Vintage Automotive Association Nagpur
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:22   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

No direct sops for scrapping old cars: Govt.

Quote:
The Central government will not offer any direct incentives in the policy or any tax sops, as was being talked about earlier. State governments will be free to offer rebates on road tax against a scrapping certificate.
Even original equipment manufacturers can allow a discount against a scrapping certificate if they want to boost their sales.
The much-awaited policy, which is expected to revive car sales, will focus on creating disincentives for older vehicles plying on roads.

Quote:
More frequent pollution checks, higher re-registration charges and stringent fines for not carrying required documents, among other measures, will be put in place to deter the use of vehicles more than 15 years old
ET

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd December 2019 at 07:24.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 21:52   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

This reporter from The Economic Times has again highlighted the forthcoming scrappage policy with his own imaginations, distorted facts and figures and has shown his total ignorance and skewed thinking in the matter. Perhaps this is a planted newsitem at the behest of the SIAM and FADA to find solace from the gloomy months the auto industry is facing since 2018, now accelerated into an uncertain and gloomy future.

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...ustry/75338661

The reporter says 9 million vehicles older than 15 years are plying on the roads, quoting the CPCB and this number is expected to reach 20 million by 2025. Rather than using CPCB data such data from the Transport Ministry will be more reliable. But this is totally misconcieved. The truth is that very small percentage of these older vehicles regularly ply on the roads and are used as daily drivers. The pure magical trick by which this figure of 9 million will reach 20 million within five years (2025), will also make India's most famous magician, late Mr P.C. Sorkar turn in his grave. I am talking only about private and not commercial vehicles in my post.

Quote:
Considering the impact of recent coronavirus pandemic and its effect on the overall industry, which has already witnessed a prolonged decline in demand, scrappage policy is seen as a saviour in sight, expected to emerge swiftly in reviving the auto sector out of its worst slump in the last 20 years.

As more and more vehicles will be scrapped and eventually recycled, customer ownership will get a breather, thereby contributing to new car purchases amid a host of challenges waiting to grip the industry post lockdown.
It seems that this person has just landed from the U.S., where such scrapping (voluntary only in the U.S.) by the tens of thousands is a regular affair. India is not so rich and nor are the car and bike owners so rich to afford a new car or bike every 15 years. The newsitem is hypothetical and imaginary. Imagine a daily wager or a retired person scrapping his car or bike every 15 years to buy new ones.

Quote:
Studies also say that scrappage can take 28 million polluting vehicles (mainly two-wheelers) off the roads, helping curb pollution in a massive way. Implementing the scheme for trucks and buses can bring down CO emissions by 17 percent, HC+NOx emissions by 18 percent and PM emissions by 24 percent
I would not like to comment about the pollution caused by buses, trucks and commercial vehicles at all. Again this is an imaginary and ill-concieved para. Which studies ? He has not quoted the source of such studies. Maybe these are studies by the SIAM and FADA. The figure of 20 million is suddenly hyped to 28 million ! What reduction of pollution is this reporter talking of ? He is unaware and ignorant about the NCR smog of Nov- Dec 2019, which was the worst ever. This was even after all the 10 year old diesels and 15 year old petrol private vehicles were deregistered.

Quote:
As of now, two organised sector players already have their ventures- CERO by Mahindra & Mahindra, and Maruti Suzuki Toyotsu India, a JV between Maruti Suzuki and Toyota Tsusho.

Setup in December 2018, CERO is India's first authorised recycler for motor vehicles through a joint venture between Mahindra Accelo, a fully-owned subsidiary of M&M and MSTC (a government of India enterprise under Ministry of Steel).

Reportedly, Mahindra and Mahindra will be setting up many more such authorised scrappage centres in India by 2022.
He has now become specific to name the scrappage plants and those proposed, viz. the beneficiaries, which are under-utilised and may only get the magic figures of 20 million and 28 million if scrapping is made compulsory. Utopian !

Quote:
We must note that even though the policy has been the talk of the town since 2015, the government has yet again missed the deadline. The recent pandemic may be blamed for the current delay.

In October 2019, draft guidelines on Authorised Vehicle Scrappage Facility (AVSF) released by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway (MoRTH) detailed the infrastructure requirement and the procedure, streamlining the process for entities interested in entering this business .
Courtesy our bureaucrats and political class, the original Voluntary- Vehicle Fleet Modernisation Programme (VFMP) has now become Authorised Vehicle Scrappage Facility (AVSF). It can be better renamed again as "Autocratic Vehicle Scrappage Facility".

The link to the original V-VMFP for reference :-

https://www.livemint.com/Politics/au...d-GST-cou.html

The reporter again shows his total ignorance and ill-informed mindset by stating:-

Quote:
Globally, vehicles are usually scrapped within five to six years of usage. As a result, vehicles are not used as much and the parts can easily be employed for other vehicles thereby enabling proper recycling and less dependence on earth metals.
What global practices is he talking about? Nowhere in the civilised world except in Japan are privately owned vehicles compulsorily scrapped. France is cautious with higher taxes on old, non-classic/vintage vehicles. China has a compulsory scrapping policy, but we cannot consider them as a civilised nation

It is such ill-informed and ignorant reporters who feed the bureaucrats and the political class with tutored data from certain vested interests, that are very damaging for people like us who own private cars and bikes.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th April 2020 at 22:04.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 17:36   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Now NGT at it again asking MORTH to issue automobile scrapping guidelines early. It has issued a deadline and says if MORTH does not comply, the Joint Secretary may be asked to be personally present in the court.

Appears to be targeted at the Mayapuri market where defence auctioned vehicles are scrapped on the streets. That's definitely not environment friendly. Will support NGT here acting against all unauthorised, present scrapping centres all over the country. That should be environment friendly and can be best done by authorised and licenced ones.

But the NGT's mentions of 21 million vehicles due for scrapping soon appears to be motivated and not in favour of 15 plus year old, non vintage automobile owners.

The newslink

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...1900851_1.html
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 22:34   #89
BHPian

My trusty old Manza's engine has gone kaput and the bill is coming to around 100K rupees. I'm thinking of letting this car go and get a new one.

I don't know of any people who buy things like my car in AS-IS condition? I'm in Chennai. Any pointers or contacts will help.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 18:55   #90
BHPian

The much awaited vehicle scrapping policy is here,

https://www.autocarindia.com/industr...pproved-419762

However, it is only for the government vehicle, nothing on scrapping of private and commercial has been stated, although there is an indication of increasing and levying a `green tax` on 15 years or older vehicle re-registration, vehicle running on CNG, LPG, battery and strong hybrids are exempted from this tax.

Let's wait and watch if any compulsory scrapping policy for private car owners sees the light of the day, which thankfully I personally don't expect it to be anytime in the near future.

Last edited by Anuj 6227 : 26th January 2021 at 19:02. Reason: Left out some information
Anuj 6227 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks