Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 11:45   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
There is another car 'Dolphin' which is being planned by Tata's in between Nano and Indica range , he mentioned. Now wondering whats this 'dolphin' -@sidindica.
Here is the news item on Tata Dolphin on NDTV Profit.

Old 16th April 2010, 14:27   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I've always insisted that a market exists for a premium Nano. Its size is just right for local (city) commuting, space is decent and even the 2 cylinder Nano is surprisingly peppy <60 kph. As an added bonus, the Nano has been blessed with a funky image too!

What a premium Nano needs:
- More refined engine. Current sounds like an autorickshaw.
- Better quality interiors. Exterior fit & finish are fine.
- More amenities.
- The option of an AT.

Only concern : Price! The Nano LX already retails at 2.2 lakhs OTR Mumbai. Hardly a 1 lakh rupee car. If the price shoots up to 3.0 lakhs for a premium well-equipped variant, I have my doubts on its market viability.
Old 16th April 2010, 14:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Only concern : Price! The Nano LX already retails at 2.2 lakhs OTR Mumbai. Hardly a 1 lakh rupee car. If the price shoots up to 3.0 lakhs for a premium well-equipped variant, I have my doubts on its market viability.
Hey GTO - What was that ? Certain versions of i10 go close to 6 lakhs OTR. People buy them for sure ( how well informed they are or why they (don't) hold on to their purse strings is another matter). It looks like the i10's looks have hypnotic powers especially influencing hand movements into purses or writing (and signing!) cheques.Jokes apart, I think a similar reasoning could be applied to market viability of a premium nano!
Old 19th April 2010, 21:10   #19
R_R
BHPian

TATA Dolphin: New Small Car

According to the Car & Bike Show on NDTV, Tata's are working on a new small car, to fit between the Nano and the Indica. Said to be a goodbye present for Ratan Tata from Tata designers. Never had heard of this before; and nothing previously on team-bhp, so did a quick google. Apparently there have been a few stories over the last couple of days. According to indiancarbikes.com, it will be an 800-1000 cc car costing about 2-2.5 Lakhs.
Tata Dolphin: Tata Motors’ latest salvo in the small car segment | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog

Story also in Motoroids.com here:

Tata?s Nano-Indica straddler codenamed Dolphin - Motoroids.com

Could'nt find the original CNB story, however, if that was the original. Anyone else heard of this before?!?
Old 19th April 2010, 21:21   #20

I hear that they may release a compressed air 6 seater taxi in August this year. All Indians should be proud of this company that has done such a lot for the common man.
Old 19th April 2010, 22:16   #21
BANNED

Related thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lakh-tata.html
Old 19th April 2010, 22:59   #22
BHPian

TATA should concentrate on the void left by the now long in tooth indica v2.talk about a similar spaced hatch with good looks based on the palio platform and a decent diesel @ 4.5 lac OTR and u have a product with immense market potential.
Old 20th April 2010, 15:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've always insisted that a market exists for a premium Nano. Its size is just right for local (city) commuting, space is decent and even the 2 cylinder Nano is surprisingly peppy <60 kph. As an added bonus, the Nano has been blessed with a funky image too!
This thread isn't about the premium Nano. It's about an altogether new platform positioned between the Nano and Indica. The premium Nano project seems to have progressed more than the Dolphin project, given that prototypes have been already exhibited in European shows.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:43   #24
BHPian

Here is what I found on New Rs. 3 Lakh Car Next Year from Tata Motors | CarTradeIndia.com

Tata Motors had launched Indica Vista in the Indian market and later Tata Nano made a statement in the car industry around the world. Now Tata Motors is ready to introduce a new model placed between the two models. Tata Motors is developing a new small car model priced at Rs. 3 lakh and above that will be placed between Nano and Indica model.

The new car has been codenamed as Dolhpin and is ready to be launched in next 18-24 months. The car is expected to be powered by an 800cc or 1000cc engine and will be strategically placed in the compact car segment. There is no official confirmation from the company but the car will be more like a farewell gift to Ratan Tata who will retire soon from the board.

Tata Nano electric will also be introduced in the European markets in next 30 months. Tata Motors has not revealed any plans to launch the model in the Indian market as of now.

Meanwhile, Tata Motors’ global sales have gone up by 39 percent. The impressive sales record indicates that the global brands of Tata Motors have also proved to be successful. The global brands of Tata comprise of Tata Daewoo and Hispano Carrocera. Tata Motors also owns prestigious brands like Jaguar and Land Rover. Jaguar has posted striking 28% growth for the company in last fiscal.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:45   #25
BHPian

Hey I have posted info from Cartradeindia in other similar thread. Here is the link to the post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1847406-post4.html
Old 20th April 2010, 18:08   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

A thread for the same topic already exists: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lakh-tata.html
Old 20th April 2010, 18:44   #27
BHPian

@Mods,

There is another thread on Tata Dolphin. Can this be merged into it please?

BH.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Hey GTO - What was that ? Certain versions of i10 go close to 6 lakhs OTR. People buy them for sure ( how well informed they are or why they (don't) hold on to their purse strings is another matter). It looks like the i10's looks have hypnotic powers especially influencing hand movements into purses or writing (and signing!) cheques.Jokes apart, I think a similar reasoning could be applied to market viability of a premium nano!

Well - I bought my i10 for 5.65 lakhs OTR kolkata, and spent another 35k on accessories + wheels + tires.

At that price point too, thats the cheapest AT hatchback in India with ABS + Airbags, and a whole lot of other goodies.

My gripes: Skinny OEM tires, manual AC, manual ORVM.

No hypnotic powers, purse strings,no nothing - I just bought that car because that was the cheapest offering that checked all of my requirement boxes.
Requirements here is the key. If a well decked out nano offers all goodies at 3 lakhs, I guess it would find takers (agreed - less than the base versions).
Old 20th April 2010, 20:49   #29
BHPian

Stepping in to fill the M800's void in the BS-4 cities, are they?
Might be a good thing to do as GTO already mentioned, the Nano is an ideal car for normal city commutes, except the Engine and an AT choice.

It possibly required this enhancement (and a higher price tag) to appeal to a wider reach of city-folks out there.

Way to go, TATA!
Old 24th April 2010, 21:01   #30
BHPian

This is certainly not the Nano Europa or any bigger size nano. News reports are very clear about the new car being based on a new patform altogether. Could be revival of the Tata X4 project that had been suspended due to the slowdown

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks