Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
I am not sure why Skoda should be diluting its brand image by pricing it below 17L as people are expecting/complaining here.
The bold highlighted is exactly the problem. Brand image of Skoda.

At 17L ex showroom, the car is uncomfortably close to Toyota's Fortuner. I, as a buyer, would have much more comfort buying a Toyota than a Skoda. Hope you get what I mean.

For a Skoda to make a difference, combination of the features and pricing is going to be important. Something like what Skoda did with Superb (vis-a-vis Honda Accord).
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Dimensions (mm) :

Skoda Yeti: L X W X H = 4223 X 1956 X 1691
Ford Fusion: L X W X H = 4018 X 1720 X 1529

Source: Skoda Auto - The new Skoda Yeti - Dimensions, Ford - Ford Fusion Specification Data
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
That is definitely not marginal by any standards. That is more than 9" longer, 9" wider and 7" taller. Though it may not seem much, the increase in volume is way above what these inches describe.
I think the width of Fusion (1720) doesn't include the mirrors whille the width of Yeti (1956) includes mirrors.
Can someone confirm the boot size of yeti. It is around 400 lts with a space saver but it would be substantially samller when it comes to India with a full size spare wheel.
Old 5th May 2010, 13:00   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think the width of Fusion (1720) doesn't include the mirrors whille the width of Yeti (1956) includes mirrors.
Can someone confirm the boot size of yeti. It is around 400 lts with a space saver but it would be substantially samller when it comes to India with a full size spare wheel.
One would think that measured dimensions would follow a certain norm. In anycase, the Yeti is large enough to fit 5 full size adults, the boot is a decent enough size, it's pretty much along the lines of Xtrail, CRV and rav4.

PLEASE REMEMBER

We have no clue about the cars pricing, just rumors. I think the rumored ex show room price is actually going to be the onroad price In Bangalore. We can all bash Skoda A.S.S but the fact still remains, the cars are all good value for money. IMO even Fabia, which people seem to dislike, was for the longest time, the only highway worthy hatch that had decent safety equipment.
Skoda priced the superb correctly and it has been a runaway success. Expect them to do the same with the Yeti, they want to collar this segment before they get any notable competition. My dealer says he expects confirmEd pricing within a week or so.
Old 5th May 2010, 13:16   #64
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
My dealer says he expects confirmEd pricing within a week or so.
If your dealer is expecting confirmed pricing within a week. Does it imply that the launch is slated for June / July.
Old 5th May 2010, 15:17   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
If your dealer is expecting confirmed pricing within a week. Does it imply that the launch is slated for June / July.
I think he is getting a display model by the end of the month, still not too clear if deliveries start in June or July. The mechanics are undergoing training on the Yeti.
Old 5th May 2010, 16:03   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

extremely pertinent statements in your post.

Yes the Yeti, like the RAV4 would fit a max of 5 standard adults and be able to carry some luggage too.
Abroad as I understand it, it is a vehicle chosen typically by young couples in the 30's age group with an active lifestyle and possible one small kid or two and perhaps one dog.

Yes I agree we only have rumours of the vehicle's pricing and it would really be rather excellent if they came and surprised us by pricing the Yeti at about 16ish on road bangalore.

Then it would seriously be worth considering, since it has a nice 2 litre Turbo Diesel and will come with lots of bells and whistles + the all important All Wheel Drive!!

I do appreciate the point you've made that the Superb and the Laura are both priced excellently for the value that they provide the consumer.

If the same strategy continues through to the Yeti, they will deserve every success they get.

I will add that they certainly will make a large dent in this beautiful sitting duck of a market segment, which all the other manufacturers, in their consuming greedy scramble for the upper-end of price axis, have been ignoring for so very long!

and it certainly will knock the poor Tata Aria and the Mahindra World SUV pricing strategy for a boundary, forcing them to re-consider!

whichever way it goes, the consumer is going to benefit seriously over the next 5 years.

and in my opinion it is about time this happened especially considering the horrible unhappy pre-liberalization days and the "holier than thou", "austerity driven", "commie inspired" economic policies of our erstwhile post independence rulers and so-called "nation-builders"!

I will watch this thread keenly for a a "scoop" on the Yeti's On Road Price in Bangalore!

Quote:
One would think that measured dimensions would follow a certain norm. In anycase, the Yeti is large enough to fit 5 full size adults, the boot is a decent enough size, it's pretty much along the lines of Xtrail, CRV and rav4.

PLEASE REMEMBER

We have no clue about the cars pricing, just rumors. I think the rumored ex show room price is actually going to be the onroad price In Bangalore. We can all bash Skoda A.S.S but the fact still remains, the cars are all good value for money. IMO even Fabia, which people seem to dislike, was for the longest time, the only highway worthy hatch that had decent safety equipment.
Skoda priced the superb correctly and it has been a runaway success. Expect them to do the same with the Yeti, they want to collar this segment before they get any notable competition. My dealer says he expects confirmEd pricing within a week or so.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th May 2010 at 16:06.
Old 5th May 2010, 16:13   #67
SCH
BHPian

Just a stupid question, but would the 4X4 wd Yeti also have the 4X2 option. I mean the 4x4 would be need based, or it will always be 4X4. Kindly enlighten me on this.
Old 5th May 2010, 18:06   #68
BANNED

certainly not a stupid question at all.

the Yeti (launched abroad) comes in 4x2 (front wheel drive) and a 4x4 (all wheel drive) version.

As far as I have read, the 4x4 has permanent all wheel drive and a special off road mode too.

The all wheel drive will feed power to whichever wheel requires it most - in conditions of slush, snow etc this is invaluable help.

added to this there is that lovely hill descent control and a number of other desirables.

Quote:
Just a stupid question, but would the 4X4 wd Yeti also have the 4X2 option. I mean the 4x4 would be need based, or it will always be 4X4. Kindly enlighten me on this.
Old 5th May 2010, 18:28   #69
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The guys at AutoBahn Mumbai told me that the Yeti launch is most probably slotted for June 2010.
Old 5th May 2010, 19:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
One would think that measured dimensions would follow a certain norm.
1970 mm is the width of the Land-cruiser. I am very sure 1956 of Yeti includes mirrors. Yes they should follow a norm but sometime they dont. I have seen the width of Fusion being mentioned as 1920 mm in some magazines which obviously includes mirrors.
Old 5th May 2010, 20:11   #71
BHPian

Quote:
1970 mm is the width of the Land-cruiser. I am very sure 1956 of Yeti includes mirrors. Yes they should follow a norm but sometime they dont. I have seen the width of Fusion being mentioned as 1920 mm in some magazines which obviously includes mirrors.
The width is including the ORVMs. Please see the link

?koda Auto - The new ?koda Yeti - Dimensions
Old 5th May 2010, 21:07   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Worldwide, 4x2 is available with 1.2 petrol / 2.0 diesel options and 4x4 is available with 1.8 petrol / 2.0 diesel options. 4x4 version uses Haldex clutch.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-yetispecs.jpg  

Old 6th May 2010, 11:24   #73
BHPian

I think here in India we'll see the petrol being offered as a 4x2 while the diesel will be the 4x4. I can't imagine skoda having the 1.2 tsi tech and not throwing it into other cars as well. If the yeti does come with the 1.2 tsi, I'm expecting the same engine plonked into the Vento and Octavia ( eventually ). If this happens, it will be fantastic for the Indian consumers!!!
Old 6th May 2010, 11:44   #74
BANNED

I think the 1.2 engines on offer by VW are different from the ones on offer by Skoda.Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember this being mentioned on another thread pertaining to the VW Polo - this was actually clarified on that thread by someone who works for a VW Dealership.

also i do believe the VW Diesel unit being placed in the VW Polo Diesel which will hit the market May/June is a Crdi engine.

While it is certainly possible that Skoda will place the petrol Yeti in a 4x2 avatar, I also do believe that Skoda would probably put in the 1.8 Petrol rather than the 1.2 for this, on account of the Yeti being larger/ heavier and hence probably requiring more juice/horses/ power - also, since this is the option being offered abroad.

Only thing is, somehow I feel the Yeti will end up competing with the Outlander, Captiva, Fortuner and try to take away market share from those guys on account of attractive pricing when compared to the above listed brands.

Given the fact that it is a CBU, it does not seem plausible for Skoda to price the Yeti very low. However they may yet surprise us and I am certainly hoping that they do!

Quote:
I think here in India we'll see the petrol being offered as a 4x2 while the diesel will be the 4x4. I can't imagine skoda having the 1.2 tsi tech and not throwing it into other cars as well. If the yeti does come with the 1.2 tsi, I'm expecting the same engine plonked into the Vento and Octavia ( eventually ). If this happens, it will be fantastic for the Indian consumers!!!
Old 6th May 2010, 12:34   #75
BHPian

I had visited skoda stall at Delhi in Jan 10, Specs of 2 litre diesel was on display. The hosts confirmed the (tentative) mid year and that it would come in with diesel engine. Some photographs with that of the spec sheet on display is attached- may be it gives some idea on the boot size. It was a 5 seater and with DSG, Sunroof and max speed in excess of 190kmph- this was all that I was interested in knowing. It looked spacious and comfortable 5 seater.

OT- Just got a tweet from skodaindia that Laura with common rail engine is here.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=230147504432
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-image00001.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-image00002.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-image00003.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-image00004.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-image00005.jpg  

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-image00006.jpg  

Last edited by shatrughna : 6th May 2010 at 12:43.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks