Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:57   #76
BHPian

Excellent factory. I had been to Chennai last week, RMZ Millenia, Perungudi. Ford has 4 floors of R&D center there. Looks like Ford is gearing up big time.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:01   #77
BHPian

Great write up great pics , keep it flowing you should try and visit a factory once in a quarter!
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:10   #78
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Stuff GTO..

Overwhelms my heart that I drive a Ford!!

Great review and the pictorials are simply awesome.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:16   #79
BHPian

Great photoblog GTO...Back in 2002,I had the opportunity of visiting the Ford factory as part of an Industrial Visit from college..Saw the Ikon being manufactured. We were taken on a guided tour-right from sheet metal to the car rolling off the assembly line and going for tests. No phones/cameras were allowed then-but lucky you!
The 'Child Parts' idea is brilliant and needs to be pushed onto the dealers/service stations. In 2008 the Auth service center wanted 3600+tax for a new RH electric door mirror when only the mirror frame needed to be replaced.

Last edited by Wolffe : 22nd May 2010 at 12:18.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:25   #80
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thank you for the 5 star thread rating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
So many Figos? And I wonder why people complain about not getting their cars on time.
I suppose the backlog should be cleared in 2 - 3 months. Ford definitely underestimated the response; they should have built up a larger pre-launch inventory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I have heard about a internal crash test facility.
None that we saw, nor was there any mention of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Was it very noisy and hot inside?
I was so NOT looking forward to the Chennai heat. Luckily, it was raining when we got there!! What a welcome break from Bombay's piercing summer. In fact, the weather couldn't have been better when we were out on the track too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Did you happen to have the photos taken inside the paint shop or didnt they allow it. The paint shop is really massive and its a clean environment.
I'm told that no manufacturer allows pictures inside the paint shop (in addition to the R&D center, for obvious reason).

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
One more question, GTO: During last round road test, if any vehicle is found problematic, will it be rectified or dismantled completely?
I'm sure it will be rectified, and not entirely rebuilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The child parts approach is great something only your local mechanic and Carnival does.
Carnival? You mean Carnation, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Odd question, do Ford import their Steel or is it locally supplied??
I presume locally. After all, their hatch & sedan are now over 80% localised. Why would any mass car manufacturer buy its steel from abroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Did anyone else accompany you to the plant, or was it you alone ?
There were a couple of representatives from other automotive websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
I also remember ripping export 2 door Zens, Balenos and Esteems on the test track when I had a stint in the VI (Vehicle inspection) dept. That Zen was amazing and I am sure you would have experienced the same with the Fiesta on the track.In fact the whole plant is like a wonderland where one gets to learn a lot.
Now, thats a fun job! Thanks for sharing your experience. Nice post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Between, did you discuss anything on their future lineup for India?
We caught an orange *new* Fiesta doing the rounds at the factory. 1.6L 118 BHP engine confirmed. Should be launched before the year end.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:47   #81
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Wow

Excellent thread GTO

I have many many times crossed Ford factory during my various trips. Have always wondered how it would be from "Inside".

Voila. My thoughts got an answer. You gave a great "insight" of the Ford facility.

Did you get a chance to take pics of the N E W Fiesta?

One more question. In Post #5, photo No. 4, the Cylinder Head has a "HOLD" card and so is the Component on the floor. Did they give any explanation on why were the components put on hold?

Last edited by MAS : 22nd May 2010 at 12:56.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:51   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
i assume they run different rated springs and dampers with different valving.
So, I reckon only the part numbers of these particular parts would differ. Everything else should be the same.
Yes, that makes sense, but I wanted to know if the line will produce only a certain variant of a certain car during a particular shift or whether it can produce a mix of ZXis, SXIs etc. I am just wondering what would be the chances of fitting S springs on a ZXi.

GTO, any idea which parts are still imported? I am guessing it must be the Fiesta gearbox, ECU, airbags, ABS..?
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

You do realise what an empty lock-to-lock test track and a Fiesta 1.6S mean, right? I had an absolute blast:
Attachment 352141
Did the speed limit apply GTO ?
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:39   #84

Mind Boggling Thread! Words can't express the delight I felt on going through your Tread GTO. I am not sure you could have been more detailed. Loved the fact that the tour started from the Steel in coil form and ended at the finished product.

The amazing pictures ensured that everyone who goes through this tread will feel that they have been to Ford's factory themselves for sure.

The Child Part theory sounds good on paper, if only now Ford ensures that the dealers don't spoil the party, considering most people's opinion that Ford cars are generally expensive to maintain.

Kudos to Ford too, for being confident enough to showcase their plant to the world!
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:11   #85

Was it hatchback or the sedan?

Quote:
Thank you for the 5 star thread rating!

We caught an orange *new* Fiesta doing the rounds at the factory. 1.6L 118 BHP engine confirmed. Should be launched before the year end.
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:12   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This should put an end to any speculation/hope that the Figo might have a 1.6L P heart.
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:44   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
You have made a great contribution to the motoring enthusiasts on this forum.
Hey, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
You could have called for a Chennai meet while you were here - would have been an added bonus!
I would have loved to. However, the schedule was so tight that we didn't have a minute to relax. But hey, with a factory & test track to be experienced, who is complaining right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Is the 15 kmph actually enforced?
Like how. When you have to travel from one end of the plant to another, it can get extremely annoying. No one to be seen around, yet your car is limited to 15 kph.

Quote:
Any idea how they change the line to accommodate production of the 1.6S which carries a different suspension?
The 1.6S anyways sells in limited numbers. The production line can handle multiple engines & variants, and the "lights" system goes a long way in ensuring that the technician fits the right part onto whichever car is in front of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
That poster should have had one more frightening thought/ point added.
If there were no cars, there would be no t-bhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
I was part of the team that set up the "lights" system in the factory. So great that GTO noticed it!!
Well, congratulations to you then. It is an outstanding system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
GTO, any idea which parts are still imported? I am guessing it must be the Fiesta gearbox, ECU, airbags, ABS..?
Your guess is as good as mine. I'm sure some engine components, Fiesta gearbox, a whole lot of the Endeavour etc. Note that most mass manufacturers now source airbags locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Did the speed limit apply GTO ?
Luckily for me, the test track is located OUTSIDE the factory boundaries (though still close by). Nope, no speed limits here!
Old 22nd May 2010, 18:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

Found this HD video on the net! Check it out

anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:11   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The "child parts" concept is good and i hope Ford pushes it down to their dealers. Dealers are good in feigning ignorance of the same and push a complete part to the customer. But thanks to this thread Tbhpians know the availability and need not get conned into buying a complete part un necessarily. Door skin child part is a first i guess!
+1. Great to see Ford has taken the step but it remains to be seen how well the dealer with take this to heart. Child part approach for them is more work and less revenue.

Quote:
I presume locally. After all, their hatch & sedan are now over 80% localised. Why would any mass car manufacturer buy its steel from abroad.
Some parts of the car like the crumple zone use new types of steel alloys (HSLA) that are not available locally.
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:29   #90
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks for another interesting report GTO. Good on Ford for allowing photographs to be taken. A factory visit report would have been a pointless exercise otherwise.

The child parts initiative will go a long way in dispelling the high-cost-of-ownership image that Ford has. This will significantly lower maintenance costs for cars that have run out of warranty cover, given Ford's policy of replacing rather than repairing faulty parts.

Most Viewed