Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 20:04   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Power curves for the 75HP and 90HP versions. As you can see, there is not much difference in the lower revvs, but it gets better as it goes up.
Attachment 374144

Source: PSI Technologies - Turbodiesel Performance Tuning Kit

Civicsense,

Does this refer to comparison on the 90Bhp VGT punto and 75Bhp FGT Punto? If not then this post is misleading as other are assuming that this case.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:42   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the performance figures from Autocar India.

Quote:
Acceleration (from rest)
90hp 75hp
kph--sec----sec
60---6.02----6.75
80---10.06--11.16
100--16.40--17.84
120--23.60--27.29

In Gear Acceleration
20-80kph(3rd gear)---12.52--12.57
40-100kph(4th gear)--15.03--15.22
According to the article the the car comes with same lower ratios, the reason for mediocre performance compared to the quick European version with similar power.

With the same stupid gearing i think they need a 150bhp+ engine to match the Acceleration to the levels of Swift Diesel 75bhp.

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th June 2010 at 21:45.
Old 24th June 2010, 23:00   #63
BHPian

If this is going to be the case, i guess i made the right decision to opt for Pete's for my MJD
Old 25th June 2010, 02:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

I was disappointed to see no change in the Punto's performance courtesy 90 Hp VGT ! Just one and a half second improvement in 0-100 , besides it performs better upwards of 100 KMPH . Hardly any change in ' in gear acceleration' . Disappointing!
It's better to opt for a Pete's or a Kiirus ECU remap , for serious upgrade in performance!
Old 25th June 2010, 02:21   #65
agm
BHPian

I have been waiting for the Punto with 90HP VGT , but now with what all i have seen and read till now i am very disappointed.

I care less about 0-100 figures , though its 1.5sec better compared to 75fgt ,which is good .All what i was expecting 90hp with better interior , more features,better alloys etc but by the look of it nothing has changed expect for the engine. :(

Hardly any difference in the performance is due to gear ratio IMO !

Last edited by agm : 25th June 2010 at 02:24.
Old 25th June 2010, 08:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Civicsense,

Does this refer to comparison on the 90Bhp VGT punto and 75Bhp FGT Punto? If not then this post is misleading as other are assuming that this case.
What makes you think otherwise? If you are in doubt, check the link to the PSI website.
Old 25th June 2010, 09:12   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Affects View Post
If this is going to be the case, i guess i made the right decision to opt for Pete's for my MJD
i agree.lets do it soon.add a petes to our fgt puntos.wise decision it would be.
Old 25th June 2010, 09:41   #68
Senior - BHPian

ACI's figures are absolute trash. Looks like they will keep praising the VW polo (no offense meant to polo owners) going by the road test reports. They have given pretty much mediocre ratings to the punto, yet people have bought this and are generally happy with it despite being underpowered. The engine is tuned for better driveability, which matters rather than waiting for sudden burst of acceleration as in the maruti ddis and hyundai crdi engines.

But the verdict of "a more complete punto" is what that matters to me. And the car can hit 0-100 in the mid 14s if tested properly using an accurate v-box, which the mods have access to.

ACI didnt even mention if they even used any v-box and mentioned the car driven is still being fine tuned. Is this believable? To us, no. I used to read automags before, but now I have completely stopped believing in their figures. Many publications have different figures, say even 3 second differences between then, so whats the point of too early conclusions?

Lets wait for the final product before bashing it completely and getting crazy for that 6 speeds of Korean insanity. I am dying for a comparo between punto VGT and I20 CRDI, but cannot find a 6 speed CRDI TD car anywhere. If I could, we should have a comparo between these 2 cars.

The best thing? Get a punto VGT demo car and test drive the car yourself and then see how it suits you.
Old 25th June 2010, 09:48   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post

The i20 will sell, purely because of the Hyundai badge and it's stellar interior quality.
Just would like to add a little bit there.

Most i20 sales are coming from the 1.2 . The 1.4 CRDi is not a volume seller.
Old 25th June 2010, 10:13   #70
BHPian

history repeats itself...it happened with the launch of STILE 1.1... everybody thrashed it as underpowered...few thousand kms on it...it opened up & none of the owners really complained about drivability... samething happened with linea... few thousand kms under the belt... not a single customer so far has said it is underpowered... it again & again happens with all the FIAT's.... I say, no use test driving a new FIAT....

& it will again happen with 90HP PUNTO...

can we have CPH comment on this , the gear ratios with respect to 90HP in indian FIAT's....
Old 25th June 2010, 10:30   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
I was disappointed to see no change in the Punto's performance courtesy 90 Hp VGT ! Just one and a half second improvement in 0-100 , besides it performs better upwards of 100 KMPH . Hardly any change in ' in gear acceleration' . Disappointing!
More powerful car doesn't mean better in-gear acceleration. It only means better high end speed. You need better torque at lower RPM for that. IIRC, A 90bhp heavier Linea trashes 118bhp AHNC or even 110bhp diesel Verna, if you compare their in-gear accelerations. No wonder, you are disappointed with VGT Punto figures

Don't read too much into magazine reviews. Drive one yourself and feel it. As someone mentioned, hot selling i20 is selling lot more of its underpowered 1.2 mill than more powerful 1.4CRDI. So called underpowered Linea coupled with Fiat brand is selling in almost equally good numbers as mighty Maruti SX4 or Ford Fiesta or Hyundai Verna
Old 25th June 2010, 10:49   #72
BHPian

To find out if the drivability of Punto 90bhp have improved, its better to drive it yourself. The figures don't matter as much as the vehicle dynamics. What is the point of having a vehicle which is a missile but cannot be guided properly. The only thing missing from Punto from a driver's perspective is torque and power compared to its weight. The VGT should have a better torque delivery and power than the FGT for sure.

I drive around a Lancer Diesel which is voted the slowest sedan of the lot. But in most case I end up reaching faster than other vehicles when moving from point A to point B. Its pedigree helps.

PS. Waiting for GTO's test drive.

Last edited by channelv : 25th June 2010 at 10:50.
Old 25th June 2010, 11:03   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post

PS. Waiting for GTO's test drive.
+100 to that.
GTO'ji test drive is what will make things clear. GTO'ji listening???

Guys, Magazines get money from Auto companies. Do not, I REPEAT, Do not read too much into them. They are already obsoleted thanks to internet and are hanging on to money (licking boots of?) advertisers are doling them out.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:47   #74
BHPian

Well what I fail to understand is no one (including FIAT) is promoting this car as a faster car, so why is everyone assuming. Its just supposed to be a punto with increased power,better engine and improved overall driving experience with a better top end performance. IMHO it is not right to assume that just because the engine is better and the power has increased that the car will drive like a rocket. Take it to the expressway early in the morning and let loose of the engine at varying rpm levels and then maybe the overall improvements will be realised.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:52   #75
BHPian

Why do we need to go for ACI crap when we have our own GTO's review coming up. Lets wait for the usual honest non-biased review.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks