Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2005, 00:04   #46
Senior - BHPian

Ford mondeo was a failure at 16 lakhs. Wonder how octavia will sell at 19lakhs.

In A'bad I saw 6-7 camrys which is priced at 17lakhs. I assume I will see some 2-3 fools buying a octavia at 18lakhs.
Old 26th October 2005, 10:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
was it the one in silver color with roof mounted antena?
(by new i think you mean new model)

if yes then thats TDI
Yes. Its the same car.
Old 26th October 2005, 12:14   #48

Just another confirmation of this pricing - According to Tafe Access in Bangalore the new Octy is going to be priced at "somewhere between 17 and 18 lakhs". As far as the new RS is concerned "we don't know if/when the RS version will be launched".

Personally I think that's just obscene.

But then I think the current RS at 15.75 on road in Bangalore is obscene.
Old 26th October 2005, 13:56   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroner
Just another confirmation of this pricing - According to Tafe Access in Bangalore the new Octy is going to be priced at "somewhere between 17 and 18 lakhs". As far as the new RS is concerned "we don't know if/when the RS version will be launched".

Personally I think that's just obscene.

But then I think the current RS at 15.75 on road in Bangalore is obscene.
I think the current price for the current model of the Skoda Octavia RS which barely offers any seating comfort (front and rear) is obscene too. Good thinking Kroner and thanks for the confirmation from your side too.

Also, I just got news from the dealer here that the 2006 Skoda Octavia RS will be launched around the same time the diesel is launched, but there is no news about the pricing of the RS model as yet.
Old 26th October 2005, 14:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

Folks the expected price of 18-19 lakhs information is correct and is for Octavia - II 2.0 TDI with DSG on Road in Bangalore (and not the Superb).
Bangalore has one of the highest tax structure, so the same may be available in Delhi or some other city for 1-2 lakhs lesser.

Inspite of non-existent sales, Skoda has decided against cutting price for Superb and with Octavia - II being positioned to fill the gap between Octavia 1 and Superb, you can get the message.

Skoda is going strong on the pricing because 1. they are not targetting volumes (are happy with 3 digit monthly sales) 2. Octavia - II is based on the latest A5 platform, and to a large extent is an Audi which in India sells at twice the price. 3. A different branding for the car is not ruled out yet

One thing which is not clear is which model this price is for, for the base model or for L&K equivalent, which will make or break the deal.

Other thing which is strongly suspected (though not accepted) is reduction in prices of current Octavia to accomodate the octavia - II at a slightly lower price point.

Brandwise Skoda is positioned as a more premium brand than Honda or Toyota in India so expected the pricing to reflect that.
Old 26th October 2005, 16:36   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The irony is that Skoda will have four cars (if the Fabia is launched) which look SO identical.

May work for Mercedes, but not for Skoda.

GTO
Old 26th October 2005, 19:33   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The irony is that Skoda will have four cars (if the Fabia is launched) which look SO identical.

May work for Mercedes, but not for Skoda.

GTO
Just what I was thinking this evening.

First, the Sonata Embera was a major let down as the Indian Sonata Embera is so stripped down (Forget EBD and TCS, there are no audio controls on the steering wheel even) and now, the pricing of the 2006 Skoda Octavia is making things worse... I mean people would rather go in for the Honda Accord V6 if the price of the new Skoda Octavia RS is going to be around 18 lakhs. What makes things even more tough for me are that the Mercedes C Class is full of silly-ass problems and both, the Mercedes C Class and the Honda Accord are due for a new model in 2007. I think I will have to end up driving the Honda Civic in 2006 (assuming Honda launches the Honda Civic in India - I've been hearing about it's launch right from mid 2003)
Old 26th October 2005, 20:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Sorry, but i don't agree. The new Octi will just not sell at that price. Remember, the only reason the Octi was a success was because it was percieved as giving superior value for the money spent on it.
yup, but the keyword here- perception; look at the NHC- who thought it would garner so much sales that would command a waiting period of upto 4 months...??

the new octy is expected to overcome the only chink it's armour- passenger comfort and space; and though it may seem like the octy-dwiteeya won't sell, i'm damn sure it will....but yes, skoda will tarnish it's image among it's enthusiast admirers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
I still feel the salesman may have confused the Superb price cut with the new Octy launch
methinks exactomondo...but this is india (and that's skoda),so anything can happen...

Last edited by veyron1 : 26th October 2005 at 20:38.
Old 26th October 2005, 21:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks the expected price of 18-19 lakhs information is correct and is for Octavia - II 2.0 TDI with DSG on Road in Bangalore
The pricing will make tremendous sense if the car has what you are saying it will have. 2.0 TDI with 140 hp and DSG, I tell you it's fantastic Value for money. I would buy the car at this price if it has the 2.0 TDI with DSG. Take it from someone who has expereniced DSG , the car is going to ROCK!! I'd say sheer VFM at 18-19 Lacs.
Old 26th October 2005, 22:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

What petrol engine are they going to use for India? NA market gets an inline 5 cyl 2.5liter which is supposed to be one half of a Lamborghini engine. Power is same as old 1.8T.
Old 26th October 2005, 22:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
The pricing will make tremendous sense if the car has what you are saying it will have. 2.0 TDI with 140 hp and DSG, I tell you it's fantastic Value for money. I would buy the car at this price if it has the 2.0 TDI with DSG. Take it from someone who has expereniced DSG , the car is going to ROCK!! I'd say sheer VFM at 18-19 Lacs.
when giving out 18L people expect their car to give them exclusive feel

people dont want their car to look like 12L car
this is exactly what is wrong with Superb

besides Skoda is no Rolls Royce to sell 500 cars and still make profit on it
Old 26th October 2005, 22:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
when giving out 18L people expect their car to give them exclusive feel
Don't you think DSG gearbox is exclusive? It's the second fastest shifting gear in the world. For example, the Jetta 2.0 Turbo Manual goes from 0-100 in 7.2 seconds and the Jetta 2.0 Auto DSG goes from 0-100 in 6.9 seconds. You have to expereince the seamless shifting DSG to know what that technology is. But you do have a point. Unfortunately, at that price, the Octavia is going to be chauffer driven. The owner couldn't care less about DSG. What he would look for is back seat comfort, rear A/c vents and maybe leather seats. The driver of course will never know what the hell DSG is. And the beautiful technology of DSG will be lost in the Indian market place. And then Indians complain that companies don't give them technology thats avaliable abroad. To me the Octavia II will be excellent VFM if the price of 18L is for the 2.0 TDi with DSG transmission.
Old 26th October 2005, 23:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Don't you think DSG gearbox is exclusive? It's the second fastest shifting gear in the world. For example, the Jetta 2.0 Turbo Manual goes from 0-100 in 7.2 seconds and the Jetta 2.0 Auto DSG goes from 0-100 in 6.9 seconds. You have to expereince the seamless shifting DSG to know what that technology is. But you do have a point. Unfortunately, at that price, the Octavia is going to be chauffer driven. The owner couldn't care less about DSG. What he would look for is back seat comfort, rear A/c vents and maybe leather seats. The driver of course will never know what the hell DSG is. And the beautiful technology of DSG will be lost in the Indian market place. And then Indians complain that companies don't give them technology thats avaliable abroad. .
only performance doesn't sell
RS will blow away Accord 2.4
but which sells more?
DSG might be the best thing in the world but no one in their right mind would give 18L for that
like I said Superb is a great car, but no one wants people asking them "so you stretched octivia?"
besides just think this way
out of approx 3400 members on this forum you are 1 saying you will buy & that too 3400 automobile forum members
Old 26th October 2005, 23:27   #59
BANNED

adya 33 and amit, brilliant!! adya33 thinks like my head and amit like my heart
Old 27th October 2005, 00:21   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

GTO
ANY news on the Fabia?!

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks