Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 20:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The government of Maharashtra has decided to give auto drivers lessons in etiquette.
I guess the above is far far better than the below one
Quote:
And guess what’s going to happen in Bangalore? Tata Nanos may soon replace abrasive autorickshaws, if the BMTC has its way
Sorry if I sound pessimistic, I can only relate the following...
Ministry of KA & Sanand (GJ) plant have something in common. I could not see any other reason as why this is being worked out.
Old 21st July 2010, 20:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Tata Nano vs Bajaj Autorickshaws

* Both Nano and autorickshaw cost Rs 1.3 lakh on the road.
* While the Nano offers a mileage of 20 kmpl, an autorickshaw returns 25 kmpl.
* Tata Nano emits 101 grams of CO2 per kilometer while 2-stroke and 4-stroke auto-rickshaws emit 87.2 and 85.6 CO2/km respectively. LPG autos’ figures are even less. So autorickshaws are evidently more eco-friendly.
One important detail left out, those CO2 figures for auto is with 2 people sitting behind. But when the Autos carry four people which is a normalcy in all major cities, I bet the CO2 figures will be different.

But figures for Nano are with 4 seated almost comfortably.
Old 21st July 2010, 20:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

I agree with amitk26 here. Rather than this move being funded with public money, i would like this to take the free market route. amy be the Govt can provide soft loans the way Delhi govt did when changing to CNG Autos.

Also BMTC should look at the hub and feeder model with these Autos/ Nano working only on the feeder route.

I think this entire thing should be looked at the bigger rapid mass transport system than in isolation.
Old 21st July 2010, 22:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
This would be a delight.

We can then plan on Auto Rides as something from the past that our kids would relish just as they relish rides in bombays double deckers.

So much safer.
So much more space.
So much more convenient
So much lesser rains to endure. We can forget about the cloth flapps that the ricks have for protection.
So what will Bajaj do.

Do give me a tip just before this confirmed. Buy TATA Stocks, Sell Bajaj Stocks.

A new kind of mouse to bully for my Safari.
So what will Bajaj do? Enough is enough we had too much from Bajaj till now,they are taking us for granted, they did nothing to improve the ride, front suspension breakage during running and thus rickshaw overturns,irritating exhaust noise, smokey exhaust, poor head light,bench type rear pass seat,no doors or rain protection to pass,pass cabin not illuminated,canvas or rexine top to be repaced every 1 or 2 years,many more please remind me if I am forgetting any.
Old 21st July 2010, 22:47   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I can not even think how people can like this move specially when BMTC is the agency and money is from tax payers. Instead of my tax money going to make replace purchase I would like Auto owners / drivers to get bank loans and finance a replacement nano for themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I agree with amitk26 here. Rather than this move being funded with public money, i would like this to take the free market route. amy be the Govt can provide soft loans the way Delhi govt did when changing to CNG Autos.

Also BMTC should look at the hub and feeder model with these Autos/ Nano working only on the feeder route.

I think this entire thing should be looked at the bigger rapid mass transport system than in isolation.

+1 to both of you. Tax payers money should not be used. THe hub and feeder model suggested by you is a better solution. Petrol/diesel driven autos should be taken out from the roads. Most of the auto drivers fix kerosene with the fuel to make the autos even more polluting.

Last edited by airbender : 21st July 2010 at 22:57.
Old 21st July 2010, 22:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Nano Auto --- Nanto?

Whether we like it or not it will happen one day -- if not sooner then later. As for me, I am sick and tired of seeing smoke belching autos on roads ever since I was born. About time ther are laid to rest. I thought Teambhpians are progressive but it is sad to see some regressive opinions on this issue.

4-door safety and rain-protection apart, with advent of Nano, sudden u turns will be a thing of the past. I am sure all those guys who are rooting for Autos haven't experienced an Auto making a sudden u turn in your path forcing you to stand on the brake pedal. And don't they know how easily Autos overturn? Doesn't that mean anything? And what about the bouncy suspension? Autos have the WORST SUSPENSION among motor vehicles. One month of travel in an auto and it will permanently damage your spine and cause neck spondulitis. And last but not the least, I will ask them just one question. What would they prefer to send their children to school in -- in an auto or in a Nano?
Old 21st July 2010, 23:14   #37
BHPian

Can Nanos in its current form take heavy abuse (read commercial use) that autos undergo?? I really doubt it....
Old 21st July 2010, 23:31   #38
BHPian

I doubt Tata Motors will ever sell Nano as a replacement for Autorickshaw, especially after all the damage that was done to Indica brand due to its popularity among taxis. Especially when they developed Tata Magic Iris as a replacement for Autorickshaw.

Another big reason :- Magic Iris sips diesel.

Following is a quote by Zigwheel which did a review of Iris :-

Quote:
It is powered by liquid-cooled single-cylinder 611cc direct injection diesel motor developed by Tata & Greaves, it meets both BS-III & BS-IV. NVH levels of this motor are terrific and credit this to both the liquid cooling as well as the mounting system in the vehicle. The four-speed all-synchromesh transmission though is all Tata Motors and the gear-shift actuation is via cable. The engine develops 11bhp at 3000rpm and 31Nm of lugging power in the 1600-1800rpm band.
According to some media reports they have test marketed Iris in Jaipur (I am attaching advertisement they did for that), and will launch it nationwide in September.
Attached Thumbnails
Sleek Tata Nanos to Replace Rasping Autos-tatamagiciris.jpg  

Sleek Tata Nanos to Replace Rasping Autos-tata_magic_iris_price.jpg  

Old 21st July 2010, 23:50   #39
BHPian

Iris looks really nose heavy and unstable. Strange design.. but truly affordable none the less
Old 21st July 2010, 23:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

I'm curious about this but

1) Does Tata have a say in what the BMTC does? Can they legally stop the BMTC from buying Nanos and using them as cabs?

2) Would Tata want to stop BMTC from executing this plan? It does mean a lot of sales for them after all. While we think the Nano's image might take a hit, it might work the other way too. Many people will get to sit in a Nano and might be impressed with it.
Old 22nd July 2010, 00:26   #41
Senior - BHPian

As a passenger I would obviously chose the Nano. It is much much safer! Period.

As a prospective Nano owner, I would not like people to be waving at me at every corner.

And Tata would not like the Nano to be sold as a cab. It would instead offer the Magic iris, which has more space and sips diesel.
Old 22nd July 2010, 09:25   #42
Team-BHP Support

One good things is the accountability factor and reduced conflict of interest. BMTC are accountable for the taxi operation (well better than the thugs who own most autos) and the fact that cops / political goons who run autos will be frozen out
Old 22nd July 2010, 09:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I'm curious about this but

1) Does Tata have a say in what the BMTC does? Can they legally stop the BMTC from buying Nanos and using them as cabs?
Technically they can't stop anybody willing to pay the market price. But there are other ways and means like:
  1. TATA will not get the vehicle type certified and approved for commercial registration. In that case BMTC can't do anything. They simply won't be able to buy the Nano as it will not suit end application.
  2. Technically for any Govt Department to buy such a large fleet has to do a Tender. TATA can choose not to participate or participate with some other model.
  3. Also buying Nano straight may lead to suits being filed against BMTC for partisanship. So Open Tender will specs that are not biased towards one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
2) Would Tata want to stop BMTC from executing this plan? It does mean a lot of sales for them after all. While we think the Nano's image might take a hit, it might work the other way too. Many people will get to sit in a Nano and might be impressed with it.
It might mean a lot of sales of Nano but please remember TATA's are going to jack their prices after the first 1 Lakh unit. So I'm not sure how comparable will it be at that price point. Also selling to Govt through tender means selling at a very very competitive price. So in that case profitability may be highly doubtful.
Old 22nd July 2010, 09:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

It will not happen! Bajaj and TVS will pull their weight and see this is not implemented, period. If at all it happens, it has to be out of natural selection - the auto wallahs themselves realizing the benefits and switching over. I already see many TATA Magics running as autos in Chennai, and nobody forced that switch.

As for Chennai Vs Bangalore autos, I feel there is an important point in favour of the Chennai fellows, despite the fleecing;even women passengers can travel alone in complete safety at almost any time, which I feel is not the case at Bangalore. So give the devil it's due!

Delhi and Mumbai auto wallahs are a class apart.

Edit:- Even if the change happens, same fellows are going to drive the nano, so don't expect any change in on road behaviour!

Last edited by Gansan : 22nd July 2010 at 09:59.
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:57   #45
BHPian

This one is not gonna happen in the near future.. !! If you read today's paper there is lot of protest against the statement made by transport minister!! Auto walas are up against him already and the minister is trying to make some face saving effort by taking his words back...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks