Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 12:42   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sleek Tata Nanos to Replace Rasping Autos

Good move, but I don't see the auto guys taking kindly to this. Back in Kerala another Tata vehicle (Magic Iris) turned out to be a popular alternative choice for rick-users, but as it got more accepted the auto guys refused to let them park in stands, harassed the Iris owners and generally lobbied to have them classified as 'taxi' under regulations, which meant that they couldn't be flagged down on the road by users - they had to resort to publishing their mobile numbers for a pre-booking.

Its a pity, because that four-wheeler is much safer than the rickety rickshaws, offers better weather protection and a chance to stretch out your legs comfortably.

Some things cannot be changed due to the goonda attitude of auto drivers and the political classes that patronise them as vote banks. The pitfalls of a 'democratic' country.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th December 2014 at 12:43.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 12:50   #122
Senior - BHPian

It's high time three wheelers were banished from this country's roads. They are simply not safe. What's the point of having ABS and airbags in cars when you have such primitive modes of transport existing side by side? Trucks with cabs and body made by roadside workshops also deserve the same treatment. Let's have "achhey din" on our roads!
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 13:16   #123
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Low cost Tata Nano cabs by TaxiForSure in Bengaluru

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Commuters of Bengaluru now get the option to be ferried around in Tata Nano taxis and pay lower fares than regular auto rickshaws!

TaxiForSure, an organised cab service provider has introduced a Tata Nano taxi option in the city of Bengaluru costing Rs. 25 for the first 2 kms and Rs. 10/km thereafter. This aggressive pricing came as a shocker to the auto rickshaw operators, more so, since they charge Rs. 25 for the first 1.9 km and Rs. 13/km thereafter. Being a 24 hour service, fares for the day and night remain the same.
Woohoo!

Bring on the little wonders to more cities, I say! Chennai especially (with its notorious autorickshaw drivers) could do with hundreds of these Nano taxis ferrying passengers up and down its congested, polluted and potholed roads.

The rates come as a pleasant surprise indeed! Even if they are introductory prices and the Nanos are non-air conditioned ones, they are great value for money!

Are these Bengaluru Nanos CNG ones by any chance? The current rates may not yield sufficient profits for the operators otherwise.

Even if the rates happen to be more realistic (say ₹ 30 for the first 2 km and ₹ 15 per km after that), I would heartily welcome A/C Nano taxis in Chennai!

Last edited by RSR : 8th December 2014 at 13:21.
Old 8th December 2014, 13:38   #124
Senior - BHPian

During my trip to Sri Lanka 2 years back, I have used Tata Nano taxis. It exists along with regular autos. The drivers didn't like it due to poor A.S.S. I hope that doesn't happen here.
Old 8th December 2014, 14:03   #125
BHPian

Wohahaaa!! Great move! We need such move in Delhi-NCR too! The autowallahs are rude here and so is their driving! If a proper four wheeler will come, there will be some sort of responsibility!
Old 9th December 2014, 11:36   #126
BHPian

Re: Low cost Tata Nano cabs by TaxiForSure in Bengaluru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Woohoo!

Are these Bengaluru Nanos CNG ones by any chance? The current rates may not yield sufficient profits for the operators otherwise.

Even if the rates happen to be more realistic (say ₹ 30 for the first 2 km and ₹ 15 per km after that), I would heartily welcome A/C Nano taxis in Chennai!
Bangalore still does not have a CNG availability for public use, few factories including Toyota are the few lucky one's who gets this low polluting fuel. These Nano's are pure petrol powered one.

I hope to see the initial 100 numbers of Nano's to grow rapidly to make any real difference.
Visran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 22:50   #127
BHPian

That's very good news for commuters. autowalas will go on a strike or at least improve their behavior after this strong and sensible alternate.
Old 10th December 2014, 07:07   #128
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Basically Auto's should be "Electrified" and all Auto Drivers should be sent to a re-orientation program to get them to understand the changing needs of Indian commuters.
Else, the government, just the same way that they keep giving these stupid loan waivers and other rubbishy populist sops to the farm sector, should also subsidize and look after the conversion of auto drivers into Nano cabs.
I will be happy if some of my tax money went towards this. I am thoroughly sick of subsidizing a million other undeserving devils with my hard earned taxes.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 08:49   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Basically Auto's should be "Electrified" and all Auto Drivers should be sent to a re-orientation program to get them to understand the changing needs of Indian commuters.
Else, the government, just the same way that they keep giving these stupid loan waivers and other rubbishy populist sops to the farm sector, should also subsidize and look after the conversion of auto drivers into Nano cabs.
I will be happy if some of my tax money went towards this. I am thoroughly sick of subsidizing a million other undeserving devils with my hard earned taxes.
Totally agree with you on the "electrification" of autos or auto like replacement vehicles. If we had the charging station infrastructure powered by renewable sources like solar energy - which double up as auto stands where even batteries can be swapped, it would be an ideal mode of transport for point to point commuting. One could argue that taking a bus would make more sense and is also eco friendly, but the fact remains that autos remain a necessary devil in all our major cities and we can feel the pinch whenever they are on strike. Maybe Mahindra Reva could do something about it.

Off topic here - world over hybrids are the first step towards electrification and I have always felt that a hybrid auto rickshaw would be an intermittent solution until the driver community can upgrade to a better vehicle(magic iris or nano) or even ecofriendly technologies like electric vehicles powered by solar charging infrastructure.

The major deterrent to upgrade for the driver community remains that anything even a little costlier than the auto(both initial and running cost) remains out of reach for them. For a community that largely has a hand to mouth existence we cant really expect them to even care about fancy stuff like "eco-friendly" or "etiquette".

There is one organization in Bengaluru which is working towards changing this.
http://www.threewheelsunited.com
The website mentions that the initial idea was to upgrade the autorickshaws to hybrid, but after looking at their lifestyle closely the management felt that the immediate need is to empower them first and then think of these other stuff.

So people if you spot these TWU autos on Bengaluru roads make it a point to hop into it and have a chat with the driver.
Old 10th December 2014, 09:08   #130
Senior - BHPian

If Mr. Arvind Kejriwal gets elected in Delhi this time in the Assembly elections, he will certainly not let this Nano revolution come to Delhi. Auto drivers / unions are one of his major bets to secure votes.

Would love to sit in one during my next trip to Banguluru.

Good move !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks