Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

@ Gansan

'I already see many TATA Magics running as autos in Chennai'

Has the Magic Iris already been launched?!!
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
@ Gansan

'I already see many TATA Magics running as autos in Chennai'

Has the Magic Iris already been launched?!!
No, these are ordinary ones with a canvas top at the rear.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:00   #48
Senior - BHPian

i see today in paper that this is statement was taken back by the Transport ministry.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

That would be a nice site on roads as it is a Nano pretty much sounds like a muted autoriksha when you stand close to it. But I don't think fuel efficiency will be good to really challenge the rick and also the inability to work on kerosene and other such 'alternate' fuels popular with the riksha wallas will be a dampener.
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:22   #50
BHPian

Tata Motors started advt. in news dailys for nano in kerala.I remember, years back when indica was launched, Highway was got blocked due to the huge crowd to see the new launched car.
Attached Thumbnails
Sleek Tata Nanos to Replace Rasping Autos-nano.jpg  

Old 23rd July 2010, 12:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Edit:- Even if the change happens, same fellows are going to drive the nano, so don't expect any change in on road behaviour!
That is a valid point, but i would like to point out that the current crop of autodrivers are much better drivers than they were 10 years back.

This change has happened due to the workshops conducted for autdrivers by associations like 'Goodwill' and a few corporates.
Except for the modified silencers and unexpected stops on seeing prospective passengers, many other things like lane cutting, not stopping at signals are very rare.

As of today, IMO the worst drivers in chennai are the ones who drive 'Gov' registerd vehicles. Even the ones that don't have the beacon behave as if they are carrying VVIPs.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:59   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I think Tata will not allow nano to become taxi. Tata has Magic Iris for this purpose.

I too agree. This is will effect the marketing of Nano's.
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:03   #53
BHPian

Adding those Nanos would only make the chaos on the roads even more chaotic. Such a move in a traffic infested city like Bangalore does not sound too practical. The only benefit seems to be the load carrying capacity (4 v/s 3) plus the relative safety of traveling in a car v/s an auto.
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:55   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It will not happen! Bajaj and TVS will pull their weight and see this is not implemented, period. If at all it happens, it has to be out of natural selection - the auto wallahs themselves realizing the benefits and switching over. I already see many TATA Magics running as autos in Chennai, and nobody forced that switch.

As for Chennai Vs Bangalore autos, I feel there is an important point in favour of the Chennai fellows, despite the fleecing;even women passengers can travel alone in complete safety at almost any time, which I feel is not the case at Bangalore. So give the devil it's due!

Delhi and Mumbai auto wallahs are a class apart.

Edit:- Even if the change happens, same fellows are going to drive the nano, so don't expect any change in on road behaviour!
+1 to that with a
Chennai Autowallahs ask for more than the meter rate for sure. But, behavior-wise, I won't generalize as rogues, I would put may be around 10% of them as rogues. My wife travels all over Chennai, alone, from North Chennai to Pallikarani suburbs, Kilpak to Besant Nagar in the late evenings and so far, no incidents or near-misses. Of course,she makes sure that the driver knows very clear she is a 'daughter-of-the-soil' and no wrong moves possible.
Secondly, Nano or Auto, its for the drivers to behave or mis-behave!
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

One nice evening
Minister: What else can be done in Bengaluru?
someone: How about having Nanos running around instead of Autos?
Minister: But my ministry should be responsible for buying the Nanos, I have bought so many Volvos to this city. Fine I will issue a statement tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 24th July 2010, 00:42   #56
Senior - BHPian

This is never going to happen. The autorick fellows have unions which are headed by thugs and thieves. These people are totally against development of the city and contribute to bad traffic, thefts during nights etc. Their main aim is to make a private vehicle driver as frustrated as possible so that he stops driving and commutes by autorick. Unfortunately, abusive words are banned on this forum, else I would have used the worst ones possible.

They will have godfathers too. And you guys think they'll improve???? It will take more than 100 years to get autos out of the country.

OT: This is how development is slowing down in our country. On one hand, we have people who want to do everything good. On another hand, we have such people who never want to change at any cost. This is exactly we can never be a developed country and never be a super power. The developed nations will always look down upon us. Strong words, but its the reality, like it or not.
Old 24th July 2010, 01:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
This is never going to happen. The autorick fellows have unions which are headed by thugs and thieves. These people are totally against development of the city and contribute to bad traffic, thefts during nights etc. Their main aim is to make a private vehicle driver as frustrated as possible so that he stops driving and commutes by autorick. Unfortunately, abusive words are banned on this forum, else I would have used the worst ones possible.

They will have godfathers too. And you guys think they'll improve???? It will take more than 100 years to get autos out of the country.

OT: This is how development is slowing down in our country. On one hand, we have people who want to do everything good. On another hand, we have such people who never want to change at any cost. This is exactly we can never be a developed country and never be a super power. The developed nations will always look down upon us. Strong words, but its the reality, like it or not.
Well said I agree with every point except for this: "Their main aim is to make a private vehicle driver as frustrated as possible so that he stops driving and commutes by autorick."
Old 24th July 2010, 03:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Well said I agree with every point except for this: "Their main aim is to make a private vehicle driver as frustrated as possible so that he stops driving and commutes by autorick."
You may not believe but some facts:
1. Bangalore has more than 3 lac autos (I heard this from an auto driver in 2008).

2. The above number is way too much. I would say 1 - 1.5 Lac autos will more than meet the demand. Actually the number should come down day by day since more and more people are commuting on 2-wheelers and cars. Instead of that, the number is going up everyday. Most graduates who are already rogues when they passout of college with their second class and third class degrees become auto drivers. Such people are useless and unemployable. (But there are ~0.001% of auto drivers who are really good).

3. The rest of the auto fellows roam on the road without customers at 5-10kmph in the middle of the road. Not to mention the loud noise that they create to create noise pollution and kerosene they use to create air pollution.

4. They pretty much respect their customers (especially regular customers) but talk to bike and car drivers in a horrible way.

If frustrating other drivers was not their intention, they should not roam around in the middle of the road at 5-10kmph when they don't have customers. They should have been waiting in auto stands. Bangalore has auto stands at most corners.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 24th July 2010 at 04:00.
Old 24th July 2010, 07:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

I was busy over last 2 days, i see already this thread is some 57 posts strong, viewed 4000+ times, lots of people sharing their views about the issue

I also see that there is a post (by mjothi) stating that the transport ministry has withdrawn the original statement.
Old 24th July 2010, 15:51   #60
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

This sure is a wonderful move from the Government.

First of all, autos are not at all safe. They are open from three sides, which means the driver has no safety at night. He/she is subject to the mercy of the weather. There are also no accident preventing mechanisms. His/her head would directly hit the front glass, if the vehicle is hit from behind or if the brakes are applied sharply. The entire mechanism is far too simple for the current generation.

Yet they are selling it at the price of a car - something that's hardly worth INR 15,000/-

If it were not for the Auto rikshaw companies to be fiddling with the laws, they should have been phased out long time back.

Given an option, I would support the Govt., in promoting the Tata Nanos!

Jai Hind!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks