Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 22:58   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

Guys this is typically the way VW group tests there next gen cars without people spying them. I noticed a similar methodology of testing being used on the Jetta and its on one of the threads in this forum. This is the next gen Octavia/Laura with the body of the current gen car.
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:41   #77
BHPian

re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
The radiator grille is definitely VW, not the vertical Skoda grille. Aren't the logo in the steering and rear hatch VW!!?? Or is it just me??
Obviously, those are VW badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Guys this is typically the way VW group tests there next gen cars without people spying them. I noticed a similar methodology of testing being used on the Jetta and its on one of the threads in this forum. This is the next gen Octavia/Laura with the body of the current gen car.
I can understand if they put VW badges in place of Skoda, but replacing the whole body seems doubtful. Any link to the threadss you are talking about?
Yes, in above pics the whole body has VW look right from front bumper, head lights, steering, ac vents, interior (though, I doubt they would be putting the exact interior in such test vehicles).
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:35   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
Obviously, those are VW badges.

I can understand if they put VW badges in place of Skoda, but replacing the whole body seems doubtful. Any link to the threadss you are talking about?
Yes, in above pics the whole body has VW look right from front bumper, head lights, steering, ac vents, interior (though, I doubt they would be putting the exact interior in such test vehicles).
Here you go buddy.. The Jetta was tested using an old Jetta body

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...etta-vi-6.html
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:01   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Well check the stats... Vento is leagues ahead of the Octy on BHP and torque; and just 5 BHP less/at par torque compared to the 2.0L Laura/Jetta, but almost 200 Kg's lighter, gives it an incredible PTWR and making it quicker!

Not to mention it is also priced a lot lesser than the Octy (Rider).
Agreed ; (Ignoring the fact that Octavia/Laura has much more powerful engines at its stable aka vRS and DSG gearbox etc); but the point here is Jetta &Octavia(alias Laura) are one segment higher than Vento. Octavia was already "replaced" by Laura. How can another car claim to "replace" Octavia, and that too, at a segment lower than the original?
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:15   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
first test mule caught from carspyshots.com via motoroids.
Not sure which model is it, since most people not accepted it being a Skoda Octaiva replacement (or a sedan Fabia and thus Vento cousin). Whatever is it, just observe the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Here you go buddy.. The Jetta was tested using an old Jetta body

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...etta-vi-6.html
Now, is it only me who sees these two models extremely similar (leave the alloys and fog lamps)?
Old 22nd February 2011, 22:59   #81
Senior - BHPian

Could this be the launch of the Octavia (Felicia), just a wild guess:

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Mysterious Skoda concept announced for Geneva debut

"The car will preview their new design language which features "clearly defined shapes and a new logo which will adorn new Skoda models from 2012."

Mysterious Skoda concept announced for Geneva debut
Old 25th April 2011, 12:13   #82
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Rapid is Vento challenger | Autocar India

OK, so we get the first solid news on the car. Guys, can we please now stop unnecessary speculative PS jobs thats hung around this thread for too long.

It's based on the newly showcased Vision-D concept for their future cars and could be cheaper, more attractive than Vento. Skoda has traditionally always used the 'soft touch' materials inside its cabins (please don't start counting T-Jets et all here). However, with new brand positioning, will Skoda give really great interiors knowing that big brother may get upset.

BTW, did you know that the erstwhile Skoda CEO got fired coz they were making cars 'too close to VW yet not increasing its revenue'. News: Skoda boss fired because Skoda is falling out of line in the VAG concern. VW has clearly decided to degrade the Skoda brand.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 12:49   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

@Abhi_Automobile- Yup this is the real thing! SK251 will belaunched under the Skoda Rapid monicker and as per a VW source, will be launched at approx 70K cheaper than the Vento.

The ex-showroom Delhi prices in the Autocar India link seem off, though. IIRC the Vento base version was lanuched at 6.99 ex showroom Delhi, so this should be around 6.3, not 7 as mentioned in the article.

According to someone who's got a sneak peek, the Rapid is visually much more masculine than the Vento with the distinctive bonnet and logo adding a character that the relatively plain VW offering lacks. Other than that it looks pretty similar to its cousin. The pic in the article doesn't reveal much, unfortunately.
Old 25th April 2011, 13:25   #84
Senior - BHPian

Heres an image doing the rounds online on a czech forum
http://forum.skodahome.cz/index.php?...tach_id=201523

Its of the next Laura/Octavia. The Vision D concept seems to be the styling direction now for Skoda. The Rapid in the Autocar image is also very similar to the elder brother next generation Octavia
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-skoda-sedan.jpg  

Last edited by nik_kapur : 25th April 2011 at 13:28.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:33   #85
BHPian

Please note, The page above also includes the Logan.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:36   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Clarification regarding Octavia naming(for those who are not aware)
  • The Octavia replacement car we are talking about here is the new car Skoda is planning to launch in Sub 10L segment. It will compete with Vento/City etc.
  • The Current International Octavia is called Laura in India. So any International news related to Octavia replacement is for Laura replacement.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 14:46   #87
BHPian

If this car's design is inspired by the D-concept and it comes with the vento 1.6 Diesel and it is cheaper than the Vento then this might be my next car. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

In my opinion the D-concept was gorgeous!!
Old 25th April 2011, 15:38   #88
BHPian

Somehow i feel the rear quarter will not be as good as the front.
Old 25th April 2011, 16:01   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If this car's design is inspired by the D-concept and it comes with the vento 1.6 Diesel and it is cheaper than the Vento then this might be my next car. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I think the more important question is whether VW will let it have too many 'better than Vento' qualities? For e.g although Vento clearly has the best interior quality in its segment, its plastics are distinctly hard wearing in nature. So, it takes away from the plush feel of the car. KNowing Skoda, they may be itching to put more high quality than VW (i.e. Laura like sponge rubberish feel dashboard), but VW will not let it do so.
Old 25th April 2011, 16:44   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I think the more important question is whether VW will let it have too many 'better than Vento' qualities? KNowing Skoda, they may be itching to put more high quality than VW (i.e. Laura like sponge rubberish feel dashboard), but VW will not let it do so.
Exactly.
I feel, VW behaves like a step-mom with Skoda products, at least in India. Look at Fabia, it got many advantage features over Polo (exception being new Polo built on newer platform) despite being priced lower than Polo. But it got certain essential features omitted on the name of cost-cutting like Rear wiper and Defogger, electrical adjustable ORVM. Its very sad to own a ~7 Lac (premium) hatch that doesn't have a rear windshield wiper. Anyways takers for Fabia have increased after the launch of facelifted avatar.

The point is if Skoda prices the Rapid aggressively against the Vento (that is very expected), chances are there it (Rapid) will lose some features essential to that segment/customer base. In that way certain customers will be diverted to buy Vento just because they like/want certain features which won't be there in Rapid.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks