Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 20:52   #196
BHPian

re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

I am not sure about the authenticity. It looks like a bad Photoshop job to me.
Old 1st September 2011, 00:02   #197
Senior - BHPian

You are right. ACI says it will feature the same 1.6 engine, but the above article mentions otherwise. I believe things will become more clear in the coming days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintomin
According to ACI Lauretta shares engines with Vento.

So it need not be a 1.5-litre diesel.
Old 1st September 2011, 00:34   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
The side profile is quite Vento-like, but not a bad thing to share the handsome look. This may look more aggressive front-on with the Skoda grille!
Right said.

IMO the generic VW subtle looks could be the winning note for the more stylish Skodas of yore.
For e.g. take the highline Passat Vs the Superb.
Plus, if the features list in this new car exceeds the one in the vento, we're going to see some serious competition. (skodas are known for pampering their owners with a lot of features in a relatively average car)
Let's wait n watch.
Old 1st September 2011, 06:31   #199
BHPian

re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

Looks promising. The front carries the Skoda familiy look while the side is Ventoish. The name Lauretta is interesting but matches with the other feminine names in Skoda family - Octavia and Laura.
Old 1st September 2011, 11:44   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I had to search and bring out this reply by Sam

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...tml#post448624

On topic ; Octavia was the best name they have/had and its time Skoda team got versed with Indian language
Looks like the Lauretta was made for Tapan's intra-city hanky-pankys

Anyway, the name brings two things to my mind:
  1. Some man-Friday-type she-robot (similar to Irona in Richie Rich)
  2. Lauretta: Small Lauras are called Laurettas Imagine a Laura owner laughing at a Lauretta owner, "I have a Laura, yours is a Lauretta. Hohohoho."
Gooney is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 20:21   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
[*]Lauretta: Small Lauras are called Laurettas Imagine a Laura owner laughing at a Lauretta owner, "I have a Laura, yours is a Lauretta. Hohohoho."[/list]
Pooh, that's something! So what would be the Superb replacement be? Lauramax?

On a more serious note, I fail to see the whole point in this VW- Skoda branding game. One car, two different grilles, same content, priced within spitting distance- what's the point here? The ruined the Fabia by de- contenting it and pricing it within the Polo range. Now they launch this "Lauretta"- why don't they save the manufacturing capacity and fulfill the Vento backlog?
Old 1st September 2011, 20:57   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Pooh, that's something! So what would be the Superb replacement be? Lauramax?
What u said doesn't make sense, the laura is still laura, so superb will be superb Sorry just couldn't control to laugh
Old 1st September 2011, 21:38   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
What u said doesn't make sense, the laura is still laura, so superb will be superb Sorry just couldn't control to laugh
thinking of it, laura should be called a superb<etta> if we interpolate linearly
Old 1st September 2011, 22:30   #204
Senior - BHPian

Lauretta-ahh come on who thought of this
its like
Laura,slept with Vento,and the offspring was named after Laura and Vento's Ancestor(Jetta)
It looks like a Vento with a Skoda Nose job,and similar engines.
Hopefully it will sell,but after eating into Vento's sales.
Old 1st September 2011, 23:06   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Lauretta surely is a very weird name, first Laura and now this. Skoda surely needs to hire some smart people just for the naming department so that they don't end up with such embarrassing nomenclature.

Thank god they are planning to use the original Octavia name for next gen Laura(Octavia III).
Old 1st September 2011, 23:15   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Hopefully it will sell,but after eating into Vento's sales.
I agree with most points you made except this, I dont think anyone will move from Vento to this car. I mean there is no reason it can happen unless
a. If the car is priced too cheaper than Vento (but we know Skoda in general have priced car dearer than VW)
b. If the car is available off the shelf, then people who are fed up with Vento might come to this car.

Other than these two reason dont think anyone will move from Vento to Lauretta. (yuk hate pronouncing the name)
Old 2nd September 2011, 00:12   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Thank god they are planning to use the original Octavia name for next gen Laura(Octavia III).
I really doubt that will happen, cause the laura has gained itself in the luxury class already, renaming it back to octavia will make it feel cheap for the indian public
Old 2nd September 2011, 05:25   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Lauretta-ahh come on who thought of this
its like
Laura,slept with Vento,and the offspring was named after Laura and Vento's Ancestor(Jetta)

Looks like skoda has gone a bit wild with their naming strategy.
Old 2nd September 2011, 07:36   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Lauretta is a weird name all right. But from thise who've seen it the car apparently looks way better than a Vento- with solid muscular lines and the classic Skoda front grille.

Not much to differentiate from its cousin: the Lauretta will probably get an AUX-in/SD card slot in the HU, though. A refresh of the Vento (with rain-sensing wipers, steering mounted controls, leatherette seats, better ICE, etc.) is on the cards, though not sure of the dates.

Also, same 1.6 Tdi engine- the talk about a 94 BHP, 1.5lit drivetrain seems to have died down.

Last edited by noopster : 2nd September 2011 at 07:37.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:40   #210
BHPian

VW seems to have an Avatar policy, every model launched in the VW line needs /must have a Skoda cousin and vice versa. Like one of them fashion shows - same ramp models but different clothing, make up and hair do. Kind of boring if done in excess.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks