Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2010, 19:35   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@akilesh:

I feel your comment makes perfect sense. I too feel they wouldn't launch the Aria and Next Gen Safari simultaneously as it will be an unwanted distraction for potential Aria customers and internal staff. So for 2010 potential Safari buyers will have to buy the 2010 crome bling BSIV version.
Old 22nd January 2010, 22:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

Please note I have reliable sources so what I stated is what is going to happen. The Safari is coming with a facelift and all the other stuff I mentioned, I reaterate it will not be an all new platform etc but will be a tweak of the existing model with skin level changes trust me. Also there is no plan for a 3rd row in the safari so they are in 2 different segements even on price not mention one is an SUV and the other 4X4 MPV/Crossover type more MPV so there is no question of overlap
Old 22nd January 2010, 23:33   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Please note I have reliable sources so what I stated is what is going to happen. The Safari is coming with a facelift and all the other stuff I mentioned, I reaterate it will not be an all new platform etc but will be a tweak of the existing model with skin level changes trust me. Also there is no plan for a 3rd row in the safari so they are in 2 different segements even on price not mention one is an SUV and the other 4X4 MPV/Crossover type more MPV so there is no question of overlap
What you are talking about is 2010 Safari which as mentioned in its very own thread is a facelift. The other 4x4/MPV/Crossover you talk about is already launched and soon to be in market Tata Aria.

But this thread is focussing on a completely different vehicle which in most probabilities would not even see the light of the day in 2010.

As someone wisely said, "Let chaos Prevail"
Old 23rd January 2010, 00:15   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
What you are talking about is 2010 Safari which as mentioned in its very own thread is a facelift. The other 4x4/MPV/Crossover you talk about is already launched and soon to be in market Tata Aria.

But this thread is focussing on a completely different vehicle which in most probabilities would not even see the light of the day in 2010.

As someone wisely said, "Let chaos Prevail"
I agree with you and that was the first thought that came to mind when i saw the pics. The prototype looks too similar to the current car. I hope they go easy on the old girl and don't do a "Scorpio" on her.
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

There is no New Safari I am not sure how this confusion came about and what is your source? I know Aria is launched and thx for confirming the same again. Aria was being assumed as the next Safari 6 months before launch and was clear that it was a completely different vehicle in the last 6 months. Tata may have something on paper for say 2015/16 but nothing even in the form of a prototype or display for autoshows so discussing it is like saying that Mayavati already moved to Mars/moon? and started farming on her newly gifted plot!! There is a possibility they may take an existing LR platform and reskin it to launch a complete repalcement to the existing Safari which again is speculative and a visionary exchange amongst us without an inkling of basis or hint from the manufacturer.

Incidently akhilesh the thread starter has put a picture of the facelift mule being tested and yet to be launched and not an all new platform as a thread starter. Come to think of it this one seems like a duplicate or should be renamed facelifted safari as the other 2010 thread talks about the minor change safari shown at the autofair in Delhi

Last edited by canonball : 23rd January 2010 at 12:37.
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:39   #66
BHPian

Quote:
There is no New Safari I am not sure how this confusion came about and what is your source? I know Aria is launched and thx for confirming the same again. Aria was being assumed as the next Safari 6 months before launch and was clear that it was a completely different vehicle in the last 6 months. Tata may have something on paper for say 2015/16 but nothing even in the form of a prototype or display for autoshows so discussing it is like saying that Mayavati already moved to Mars/moon? and started farming on her newly gifted plot!! There is a possibility they may take an existing LR platform and reskin it to launch a complete repalcement to the existing Safari which again is speculative and a visionary exchange amongst us without an inkling of basis or hint from the manufacturer.
I completely agree that the facelift is the only Safari we are getting this year. The entire list of updates in facelift along with pics is posted in other thread.

But, It is also true that Tata is developing a new-gen Safari which is still in development phase and may not see light of day for a very long time. At the same time, I like to believe that the time duration would not be as long as 2015/15 but more realistically near 2011/12.

Even with Aria, the earliest pictures on net dated back to early 2007. Hence the spy-shots here do not really confirm the time duration. It could be in next financial year or it may take another few years. The fact of matter remains that Tata Motors is planning a completely new Safari / SUV.

Anyways, As of now, what we have now is the facelift safari which in itself has been quite an improvement over current safari and in coming to showrooms within next month.

Quote:
I agree with you and that was the first thought that came to mind when i saw the pics. The prototype looks too similar to the current car. I hope they go easy on the old girl and don't do a "Scorpio" on her.
What you see in the prototype pics is actually the final facelift design. The vehicle is already in production and will be in showroom anytime now. I really like the dark tan interiors. It is a welcome break from irritating beige and bland black interiors in most cars.

@ Mods : Can we please merge the two threads. I completely agree that they are focussing on two completely different versions of Safari but it would certainly help in ironing over current confusion.

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 23rd January 2010 at 12:44.
Old 24th January 2010, 04:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

If theres nothing new it doesnt make sense in having heavily camouflaged prototypes doing their rounds. The Safari for 2010 (displayed at the Autoshow) only has minor cosmetic changes and doesnt warrant any heavy camouflage let alone actual testing alongside the Aria.
Again the prototype thats being tested could be many things but its silhouette gives away heavy hints of the Safari. But it would be foolish of Tata to display the concept or the final product at Delhi when they had the launch of the Aria and last thing they want is another SUV hogging the limelight.
Although there are good chances that more of these camouflaged SUVs will be snapped up by fellow BHPians, I think the car will only be launched after the Aria gets a foothold in the market.
Old 24th January 2010, 06:24   #68
BHPian

I think Canonball is probably trying to say that the next gen safari would be based on the current platform with new exteriors and interiors. From what I understand, Canonball is saying that 2010 safari (the chrome-blinged one at autoexpo) is just a intermittent refresh and a passing phase.

Probably Tata is doing a sumo -> grande thing with safari which would be up for release in late 2010 or early 2011.

@shortbread: I feel there is every reason for TATA to camouflage new-face safari, irrelevant of continuing on old platform or developing all new platform. grande was obviously masked even though technically its just a facelifted sumo.
Old 24th January 2010, 06:58   #69
Senior - BHPian

True, I doubt whether there is going to be an all new platform, rather a Grande like rework is what we can expect. Although even today the Safari is a great platform to begin with, I hope along with this external redesign they shed a lot of weight from the present gen model. It will do it a world of good.
Old 24th January 2010, 12:41   #70
BHPian

Tata has been procrastinating with both the Indica and now the Safari, both cars need a fresh new design not a refresh, that's how companies become successful by launching new products. There is a bit of lethargy, whether its corporate restructuring, funding issues but clearly there is delay executing, hence the rehashes.

Itss obvious there is a significant market for a decent SUV - doesn't even have to be large - in the 8-10 lakhs segment and Tata is best placed to take advantage of this, something like the original toyota rav 4, not too big but wide and stable and chunky looking. Safari is narrow and a bit large.
Old 24th January 2010, 13:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

Comrad bulls eye I don't know why akhilesh keeps coming back to the expo safari and linking it 2010!!! The pics of the camoflaged safari clearly show an existing car with a true facelift - chroming rims, mirrors, front grill, and changing interrior color tones IS NOT A FACELIFT!!! So we will see another Safari launch 10/11 with a FACELIFTED car.

Comrad they are doing something more aggressive than the Sumo Grand i will post my first impressions when I get my hands on the MULE Incidently I drove the DICOR 3 liter implanted into first gen safari in 2003 that was 1 years before its late 04 early 05 launch, I am a huge huge Safari follower not mention owned one 98 through 03 and my car was TATA's private garage gini pig for all customer company interfaces on what needs to be done to improve the car. Not mention getting all upgrades in my 98, 1 year before any market saw it

Akhilesh my friend I think you are causing the confusion by talking about other threads and misquoting a special edition/very very minor at most options to a FACELIFT when we are talking about a FACELIFTED car. No offence please clear your mind and go over all threads before taking a shot at this again thx

Last edited by canonball : 24th January 2010 at 13:16.
Old 24th January 2010, 13:38   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Comrad bulls eye I don't know why akhilesh keeps coming back to the expo safari and linking it 2010!!! The pics of the camoflaged safari clearly show an existing car with a true facelift - chroming rims, mirrors, front grill, and changing interrior color tones IS NOT A FACELIFT!!! So we will see another Safari launch 10/11 with a FACELIFTED car.

Comrad they are doing something more aggressive than the Sumo Grand i will post my first impressions when I get my hands on the MULE Incidently I drove the DICOR 3 liter implanted into first gen safari in 2003 that was 1 years before its late 04 early 05 launch, I am a huge huge Safari follower not mention owned one 98 through 03 and my car was TATA's private garage gini pig for all customer company interfaces on what needs to be done to improve the car. Not mention getting all upgrades in my 98, 1 year before any market saw it

Akhilesh my friend I think you are causing the confusion by talking about other threads and misquoting a special edition/very very minor at most options to a FACELIFT when we are talking about a FACELIFTED car. No offence please clear your mind and go over all threads before taking a shot at this again thx
I am sorry to be creating confusion for you here, canonball. But, it seems we both are talking about the same thing anyways. I too fully understand that the facelift car and camouflaged vehicle in thread here are two completely different products. The only place we differ and I wish to clear is the year. You are not going to get this camouflaged vehicle in 2010. Period. The only vehicle you are going to get this year is the facelift version.

So, it would be better if we stop calling the camouflaged version as 2010 Safari because it is NOT. And hence my discussion about the other thread because a lot of people here are looking for 2010 Safari and not the new-generation vehicle and they need to be clear about the difference between products and timelines involved.

So, once again the facelift is the 2010 Tata Safari. The camouflaged vehicle is not 2010 Safari but may be 2011 or even 2012 Safari or a completely new product.
Old 24th January 2010, 14:20   #73
Senior - BHPian

Akhilesh it is completely the opposite: Camolfaged car = Facelift which we will get by year end or early 2011. The car shown/launched at Autoshow recently is not termed a Facelift in auto circles it is just a "Varient" which some car companies call special addition or is on the option list and in certian places like west coast California are standard due to regional preference i.e chroming body parts. Jury is still out on whether she will indeed come in 2010 or 2011 so calling her 2010 is not an issue. My guess is she will come in 2010 as the comopany folks have told me that Mr. Tata who normally okay's final look before hitting the shopfloor something that has been already done. And gap between him fianlising and car coming to showroom is normally 6 months. Anyway i will get the low down first thing next week
Old 24th January 2010, 16:54   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway i will get the low down first thing next week
Will be waiting eagerly for your update.
Old 25th January 2010, 02:04   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Akhilesh it is completely the opposite: Camolfaged car = Facelift which we will get by year end or early 2011. The car shown/launched at Autoshow recently is not termed a Facelift in auto circles it is just a "Varient" which some car companies call special addition or is on the option list and in certian places like west coast California are standard due to regional preference i.e chroming body parts. Jury is still out on whether she will indeed come in 2010 or 2011 so calling her 2010 is not an issue. My guess is she will come in 2010 as the comopany folks have told me that Mr. Tata who normally okay's final look before hitting the shopfloor something that has been already done. And gap between him fianlising and car coming to showroom is normally 6 months. Anyway i will get the low down first thing next week
VC# which identifies different vehicles of Tata Motors itself describes the "Varient" as a Face-Lift. The description for one such vehicle in VC# for the new Safari is "Safari 4X2 EX Dicor 2.2L BS 3 FL - Pearl White" where FL stands for Face Lift.

One can't call sumo Grande a facelift of Sumo or Manza a facelift of Indigo, They are both completely different cars. Even the current Scorpio is called a facelift because the extent of changes is minor and cosmetic.

On the other hand, changes in the new-gen Safari would be a lot more than just skin-deep.

"Variant" is a word used to describe various forms a particular vehicle is available. For example, LX, EX, GX, and VX are variants of Safari. Terra, Aqua, and Aura are variants of Indica Vista. Limited editions are also included as variants as you have yourself mentioned but we are not talking about a limited edition safari here.

The face-lift due to be in showrooms is hence not a variant but it has variants in itself.

I sincerely hope you don't take this personally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks