Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2005, 21:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
This is what happens when you rest on your Laurels....

Nice jokes, guys - if this is a lemon we'll soon have more of these floating around.

Beemer - if Skoda plans to sell the older model alongside there's NO WAY they can maintain the prices you've mentioned. If not, then 16.9 for the Top Variant makes a bit ot sense because the base model will probably start at 14....
I think I read in this thread taht there's only ONE version, the TOP

got it. Post #26

Last edited by jkdas : 25th November 2005 at 22:00.
Old 25th November 2005, 22:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
laura if pronounced in Hindhi is not the GOOD word..
Oh, the frustrations of naming cars in India! The originally conceived name must've been Lauda, which means "Praise" in Latin. The new name must have been a subtle change keeping Indian sentiments in mind...!
Old 25th November 2005, 22:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Laura? No matter how good the car, with a name like that, it wouldn't sell. Every car maker has some kind of marketing & research team that does some kind of research to judge what people would or would not like in the next variant. In this aspect, Europeans have failed miserably all over the world. Their best models are limited to Europe. God knows why. And who is that guy who came up with a name like Laura and which CEO/MD approved a name like that? Both need to be fired immediately. Skoda is over confident and they are going to pay for their ignorance and their tendency to take Indians for granted. If they are so insistant on having both the Octavia versions selling to-gether, they could have named the A5 Octy, Octavia II. That sounds better then Laura.

Quote:
i ve heard a lot about the fabolous VW DSG Gearbox
hey beemer, trust me, go and drive the DSG and you will be blown away by this amazing technology. I hope they bring out the RS with DSG. That gearbox is so smooth and seamless that you barely feel the shifting happening. For 16Lacs, the car with DSG would make tremendous sense. However, I don't know if it will work in India. The sales and marketing staff at dealerships will have to make it a point to talk about DSG to prospective customers. Even then I don't think average Indians are going to be too impressed with DSG. At that price, the car is going to be chauffer driven and the owner couldn't care less what DSG is and how it benefits him. The driver wouldn't know even after driving the Laura for 5 lac kms that his boss's car has DSG.
Problem is with that name DSG is going to die pre maturely in India. Sad.

Quote:
At least they should have given the new 2.0 16V engine
Europeans give the best to their own continent and that really sucks. If it's any consolation, the new Passat doesn't have that 2.0 L TDI 140hp engine here in US/Canada too. What makes it worse is that the Golf in Europe has this engine!
Old 26th November 2005, 01:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Skoda Laura? No matter how good the car, with a name like that, it wouldn't sell.
Hehe , jokes apart but by no means a name decide the future of a car and if the car in real is indeed as good as stated by ACI (Dec issue), than no matter what the name is ,IMO this car is going to rule and is a great value for money !
ACI has given 9/10 stars to the Laura .....

[quote]hey beemer, trust me, go and drive the DSG and you will be blown away by this amazing technology.

All i can say is that i am desperate to test drive the DSG and your reviews makes me even more impatient

Hey Steeroid as i ve mentioned that the prices and the details ve been given from one of the Skoda officials and by no means they can come wrong (until and unless theres a change) and i ve just completed reading this month ACI and it says the same that the one with the DSG is the TOP-END version and soon the manual gearbox would be launched priced a lac less than the DSG automotic .

p.s I think now that we know the facts ,the title needs to be changed .

@Mods - Please delete one of these ... All by mistake . Thanx .

Last edited by Beemer : 26th November 2005 at 01:05.
Old 26th November 2005, 01:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Who'd wanna hear:

Had a rough ride with lara, last night

Skoda , its big thumbs-down for u.
Old 26th November 2005, 05:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think now that we know the facts ,the title needs to be changed .
I agree with beemer. 16Lacs for a car with DSG and PD is damn good value for your money. I agree that the name of this car is really weird and also that Skoda should have brought in the new Octavia as a replacement for the current one but we have to give credit to Skoda for bringing in DSG in India. All the time we whine about how manufacturers don't bring in their best to India and give us a step-motherly treatment and now when one of the manufacturers is treating us with respect, we are nit picking over the name and making fun of them. Remember a few years back, Honda brought in it's VTEC technology in the OHC and priced it almost a lakh more then the non-VTEC one. No-one made fun of Honda then. If we go on our knees hailing Honda for giving us VTEC then the least we can do is stand up and thank Skoda for giving us DSG.

Last edited by amit : 26th November 2005 at 05:11.
Old 26th November 2005, 10:24   #37
BHPian

To be fair,I'll wait till the New Octy is launched officially,to comment on the car.Pricing the car in the 17-18L bracket would be a deterrent.I've seen the car around the U.K,where it's just another mid-sizer in the economy segment.But then,India is a totally different ball game....

Last edited by coloneljasi : 26th November 2005 at 10:31.
Old 26th November 2005, 10:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

A bit off topic but amit could you just throw some light on how to operate the DSG gearbox?
Old 26th November 2005, 14:19   #39
BHPian

[quote=amit]16Lacs for a car with DSG and PD is damn good value for your money.[/QUOTE ]

Buddy its not 16 , its 16.9 (nearly 17) for the DSG and a lac less for the manual version , But i still feel its going to be VFM and m sure you 'll agree .

[quote=amit] but we have to give credit to Skoda for bringing in DSG in India. All the time we whine about how manufacturers don't bring in their best to India and give us a step-motherly treatment and now when one of the manufacturers is treating us with respect, we are nit picking over the name and making fun of them. Remember a few years back, Honda brought in it's VTEC technology in the OHC and priced it almost a lakh more then the non-VTEC one. No-one made fun of Honda then. If we go on our knees hailing Honda for giving us VTEC then the least we can do is stand up and thank Skoda for giving us DSG.

I second you and you said all the things i wanted to say....... It's so funny that we always cry out to mnfrs that they dont bring the world class up to date technology in india and when they do , most of us make fun of them and feel its overpriced ..... Strange , isnt it !

I feel this car 'll take the **** out of Accord in all the respective departments .

And i 've one more information that the car would come in 3/4 colors :

1) Black magic with Beige color interiors .

2) Silver with Black interiors .

3) D Blue with Beige interiors .

The white is also on the cards with Black interiors .
Old 26th November 2005, 14:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

The dirty Skoda site dosent have a penny worth of info on its site .
http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/

Another even more dirty site is : http://www.audi.co.in/
Here most of the pics from Audi global and not Audi India.
Also, no tech specs avaliable, no info abt prices, also most photos show LHD versions.
These ppl dont seem serious abt India , or they dont care.
Old 26th November 2005, 15:02   #41
BHPian

WHAT 17-18 lacs for the base version.......
Old 26th November 2005, 19:14   #42
BHPian

Imho... well all of u have been going on about buying a Accord V6 or Camry for that price, but u dont realise that the Laura is a DIESEL CAR! and that too a fine diesel car! it has featuers between the octavia L&K and Superb. so why not price it between these cars? Initially everyone said the Camry is not worht the price at all, and nor is the Accord V6, now when compared to the Laura, most here are ready to shell out the money for the Accord V6 & Camry!
guys, frankly, there r lotsa ppl out there in india who want a Diesel Luxury car, I for instace am badly in need of a Premium car for my dad. I have narrowed down on the Sonata Embera if Petrol, and Superb if Diesel. Now my dad doesnt want to spend 22lk on a car as he jus cant maintain it that good, he is more care free, and bumpers keep getting bruises with him. So My choice is the Sonata Embera. Now if the Laura does come up in around 17lk ONROAD, then i would definately go for it as paying 1.5 lk more (Sonata Embera is 15.5 OnRoad in HYD) just for the Diesel engine and the Extra features that i will get in Laura, compared to the Features of Accord/Embera/Camry. And the other great thing is that they say its definately giving 13kmpl with ac in city!!! unline the Superb.

Mind u guys, the Laura is supposedly having more features than even the Camry, which is priced at around 22lk onroad in HYD.!

Everyone said the same about the SUPERB, but then lookin the other way, its a beautiful car with an awesome engine..the V6 Diesel engine is to die for! and at 22 lk, with the features it has and the space in it, it gives the C-Class the run for its money big time! and also its a nice vehicle to hide ur flashy status.

Last edited by Insane Devil : 26th November 2005 at 19:32.
Old 26th November 2005, 19:26   #43
BHPian

All about DSG Gearbox

Note From Moderator - Please provide a link to the source of this information as per TBHP rules.

Yet another note from moderator - you have failed to provide the link / reference to the information hence we are deleting the content. This is a warning

Last edited by ajmat : 27th November 2005 at 13:12.
Old 26th November 2005, 20:08   #44
BHPian

Hey ID , let me assure you that this car is way way ahead in terms of technology when compared to the Emberas/Accords/Camrys and as you said ,the best part is that it is a Diesel luxury car .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
Now if the Laura does come up in around 17lk ONROAD, then i would definately go for it as paying 1.5 lk more (Sonata Embera is 15.5 OnRoad in HYD) just for the Diesel engine and the Extra features that i will get in Laura, compared to the Features of Accord/Embera/Camry.
I dont know about HYD but as i 've mentioned elsewhere that the price in New Delhi is going to be 16.9 lac(x showroom) and 18.2 lk(approx) on road price and i feel the ON Road price in HYD coud be little more than delhi but the manual version (when launched) would fit in your budget .

[quote=Insane Devil] So My choice is the Sonata Embera[quote]

I ll be really amazed if you go for Embera ,instead of knowing that the Skoda Laura is way ahead of the competition !

Nice detailed Review there for all of us who didn't know about the DSG .

Last edited by Beemer : 26th November 2005 at 20:12.
Old 26th November 2005, 21:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
. so why not price it between these cars? Initially everyone said the Camry is not worht the price at all, and nor is the Accord V6, now when compared to the Laura, most here are ready to shell out the money for the Accord V6 & Camry! .
Camry and Accord compete with Passat. Octavia II or the Laura supposed to compete with Civic and Corolla.

Will someone post dimensions of all three cars so that we can figure out exactly how BIG the Laura is ??
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks