Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2010, 20:21   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
No. It means that if you are able to use rough paper with a cheap fountain pen & a cheap fountain pen suffers no damage, then you should be able to use rough paper with a fountain pen that costs 10 times as much - unless you are buying it just for keeping it in the showcase or something.
Not a very good analogy. Not every one writes on cheap paper. Every pen has a paper made for it. And a way to hold it. Trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I would think yes.
Did not get you here.
Old 20th November 2010, 21:06   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post

Did not get you here.
What carboy meant was , he feels Maruti is reliable and thinks the Germans should learn something from Maruti or generally from the Japanese and i believe to some extent even from the Koreans. They do make more reliable cars too.
Old 20th November 2010, 22:09   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
What carboy meant was , he feels Maruti is reliable and thinks the Germans should learn something from Maruti or generally from the Japanese and i believe to some extent even from the Koreans. They do make more reliable cars too.
But the Germans used to make reliable cars once upon a time is it not? So, should they learn something or un-learn something?

I do not think Maruti is the benchmark for reliability btw. I just think that it is far more repairable. Now a Honda is a different matter.
Old 20th November 2010, 23:05   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
German's not providing more bang for the buck, or in this case, the rupee. Still, as I said, they seem to be on a learning curve.
Germans on a learning curve? Wow! I thought these are the words one associates with Tata.

Last edited by Amartya : 30th December 2010 at 04:22. Reason: Corrected the
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2010, 00:06   #140
BHPian

Tata is on a learning curve when it comes to technology and building a niggle free, good quality car.

The Germans are on a learning curve to better understand other markets. It seems they don't understand the Indian environment or consumer.
Neither can their cars survive in the tougher Indian climate the way Toyota or Maruti can, nor do they understand how value oriented the Indian consumer is.

So, yes, the Germans are indeed on a learning curve. To learn to emulate Toyota and Honda's level of reliability that is.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2010, 13:39   #141
BHPian

I think that the engine troubles are mostly due to bad fuel quality in non-metros. Even BS3 grade fuel is not widely available in pumps, though all new vehicles are BS4. I think that earlier, manufacturers used to bring only tried and trusted tech to India. But nowadays, they bring almost all of their international models without adequate testing. And this is the result.

To all who think that using a flatbed crane is snobbery, have you ever had your car towed? A regular crane will ruin your front bumper and the paint on your bonnet, more if youre unlucky. For an expensive car, fixing tha damage caused by a regular crane will more than offset the money saved by using a regular crane. My uncle's car, an M800 had gouges on the bonnet and cracked front bumper after it was towed by the Gypsy crane from Popular Motors (Maruti ASC) itself. Of course they didn't fix it. If you ever have to have your vehicle towed by a regular crane, remove the front bumper and keep it inside the car. Also, put a cushion or something between the chain and the bonnet. I keep a spare cushion and a jute sack in the car's boot.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 00:12   #142
Max
BHPian

just saw skoda superb on road, it was standing behind towing truck. LOL.
Old 22nd November 2010, 16:22   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
If you ever have to have your vehicle towed by a regular crane, remove the front bumper and keep it inside the car. Also, put a cushion or something between the chain and the bonnet. I keep a spare cushion and a jute sack in the car's boot.
You seem to be well prepared with a lot of experience. Which car?

Good tips. Thanks for that. Not to mention the fact that a flatbed is a way better option than the normal hooked towing.
typeOnegative is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:58   #144
Senior - BHPian

Germans on flatbed trucks in India have started showing up on TV also! On IRT's world's most dangerous roads show yesterday, the truck being driven by the lady was overtaken by a flat bed truck carrying what looked like a M3 on the mountain roads of Manali area!
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2010, 18:14   #145
Senior - BHPian

The sedan had a temp registration.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-photo1514.jpg  

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-photo1515.jpg  

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-photo1516.jpg  

Old 29th December 2010, 15:33   #146
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

Spot a flatbed and you know it's a European car in trouble. First guess : The infamous Linea / Punto clutch failures.

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-21112010469.jpg

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-21112010470.jpg
Old 29th December 2010, 16:10   #147
BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

@ GTO - Dont think they are restricted to European cars :( . (Just kidding) I had the privilege of being on a flat bed truck when my car was down last weekend and had to toe it to the service center. It was a American car - Ikon Flair this time. I was surprised the way the car was put on to the truck by single person. My Vehicle was toed by Mondial assistance recovery team and got to know from him that they have only flat bed trucks for recovery.
vinukm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 17:28   #148
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
It was a American car
Actually, the Ikon is based on the European Fiesta Mark V
Old 29th December 2010, 20:31   #149
BHPian

Saw 3 BMW's in a weeks time on flat bed tow trucks. The first and second one were a 5 series, The first having no damage but the second was partly covered but with a badly damaged front and the third I saw today was a 7series on its way towards KUN I guess because I saw it on the airport road just before the BMW showroom.

Hate to see such brands once built like a tank now on flat bed trucks.
Old 29th December 2010, 22:21   #150
PPS
Senior - BHPian

My Skoda has broken down thrice in 1 month,its about time i engage a flatbed truck so that i can post some pics in this thread!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks