Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2010, 06:58   #151
BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

Last week, I had the honor of transporting my car in a flat bed to a tire shop to fix some dents in the rim. I called AAA and they took the car details and sent a flatbed. When I asked the driver as to why did they send a flatbed, he was like for AWD cars, only use flatbed.

I did not ask him any further questions. But is AWD chassis the only reason to have a flatbed truck to move my bimmer?

More information would be helpful.
Old 31st December 2010, 20:38   #152
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

No flatbed for this endeavour!
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-p1240235.jpg
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2011, 00:01   #153
BHPian

Another Merc on a flat bed truck, spotted this today around 9.00pm on M.G.Road. When asked the flat bed truck driver, he said the merc refused to start.....
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img00066201101012054.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2011, 14:02   #154
BHPian

Other day saw Jeta being towed in a flatbed truck in Pune. Could not click any pics as I was ruching to office. Jeta was almost brand new, it was not an accident but breadown for sure.
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:08   #155
BANNED

I saw an auto (Bajaj RE) being transported on a flat bed in Delhi on Friday. It was in pretty good condition as well.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:48   #156
BANNED

I have never seen any car being taken on a flatbed so far so where would I count in the statistics? One person seeing many or many people seeing one won't give you real estimates.
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:02   #157
Senior - BHPian

ANHC on a flatbed truck.

What about this one guys ?
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img00194201012251824.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2011, 18:18   #158
A.R
BHPian

After so many posts, do we have a list of such "Flat Bed Truck" service providers, importantly 24x4, anywhere there are commutable roads?

It would be very useful for many who may be stranded with their cars in the middle of no where. It happened to me, in a reliable Japanese car and Maruti Suzuki did NOTHING at all to help me. I wouldn't have minded the cost of such a service, whatever may it be at that time.
A.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2011, 21:59   #159
BHPian

It could have been just me, but my Nissan Sentra was one of the worst life experiences for me.. Infact, I had to work part-time just because of it. It was towed several times and I spent several thousand dollars to get it running.. I swear I will never even touch another Nissan my life.. If anyone is interested, I have pictures and a video of the flat-bed towing.
Old 6th January 2011, 22:19   #160
BANNED

I think is is wrong to single out German Cars. Any car (Korean & Japanese too) can land up on a flatbed. Or maybe only dealers of German Cars provide flatbed trucks. I've seen an Accord (normally an extremely reliable car) on a flatbed. BTW I own 2 German cars and never had to use a flatbed. In fact I went for a German brand as German products are reliable.
Old 6th January 2011, 23:58   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

@Live to Jive:
GTO created this thread to humorously showcase how German brands are not as reliable as they once were. While you may be lucky to have reliable German cars, it is a proven fact (going by global studies, not only local) that the more technologically German cars (European actually would be a better term, as one might argue that some companies - such as Skoda - are not German, even though they are owned and share parts with German automakers) are just not as reliable as they once were, and have monstrous maintainance costs if something goes wrong.
It seems as though each manufacturer is just trying to equip their cars with newer and better technology, which is more prone to failure.
The VW Polo and Vento, along with many Fords and Chevrolets can be excused from this, as they are not as technologically advanced (in comparison to the European cars a few segments higher) and as a result are more reliable.

Our W211 E Class has been problematic, as well as GTO's C Class, Sahil's C Classes and S350L-E240's Mercs, as well as other members who have faced problems with Audis, Skodas, BMWs, Mercedes, etc.

Sure, every manufacturer has the odd lemon, but if statistics are to be believed, European brands have higher chances of failure. While Japanese and Korean (and even Indian to an extent - See how Tata's quality has improved) car manufacturers have become more efficient and come out with more reliable products, it seems to be the other way around for European cars.
Old 7th January 2011, 13:55   #162
Senior - BHPian

Epitome of reliability on a flatbed

Caught this NHC on a flatbed (MyTvs) in front of Hotel Ranjith, Nungambakkam yesterday.
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-dsc02755.jpg
Old 7th January 2011, 14:32   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Attachment 475154
I think the endy is getting transported via truck instead of being driven. The truck isnt a flatbed Or a truck used to towaway a car.

I used a similar truck to transport my car from Bangalore to Mumbai when I was shifting.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2011, 08:05   #164
BHPian

I am seeing this thread for the first time, interesting thread!

On a lighter note: German car owners should probably own a flatbed truck and tow it wherever they go. When their car breaks down, they can have their truck tow the car instead.
Old 8th January 2011, 15:55   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Attachment 475154
looking at the picture it looks endeavour is just being transported from one place to other and it might be in working condition

flat bed trucks are just substitutes for towing trucks , generally used for broken down cars, or in some cases if there is no ramp available to load the car in a normal truck, if a suitable ramp is available people just use normal trucks to transport their vehicles from one city to another ,i doubt flatbed trucks do the job of transporting vehicles from one state to the other,mostly flatbeds only take cars to repair shops or they carry sportcars/supercars to the race tracks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks