Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 11:58   #12046
BANNED

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Hi guys,

Lateral upgrades are great, and then some bug will come and hit you so hard that you are left grappling with ideas that you know are wrong. Those are called Sinful.

Thanks to Ravich and his excellent advise on E90 and his thread Link; I am currently contemplating on getting an E90 for a daily drive. Blasphemous as it may sound, I may let go of one of my cars, both of which are below 1.5 years. The crux of the matter being, I would love to own a car for the next two years that will plaster my face with a grin; before I get to the business of acting my age in the 30s.

Now I would dearly like your views on two cars that are tugging me at this point in time -

1. Obviously nothing beats a RWD BMW, right? The only problem here is that my constricted budget won't allow for an example beyond 2008-2010 period. Most of such cars would have changed at least couple of hands, and the service records would have fallen in a crevice. Notwithstanding, this remains a top priority. Evaluating two such examples that have not gone beyond 55,000kms in Mumbai.

2. The smaller but meaner (white and red) Punto Abarth. There are a few being sold across the state, and would love to get my hands on one of these before extinction and Fiat's apathy kills them altogether. The only problem in getting my hands on one of these, will be that my feet will kill me for taking such a decision. Plus point being all these will still be covered under 3 warranty.

Since this is going to be my daily drive for the next couple of years, I would love to get it right - lest I am left ruing my decision and putting it on the block once again. Thanks for your advices and leads in advance.
Old 25th May 2017, 17:04   #12047
BHPian

I have got an option of an elite i20 3000 km driven March 2017 registration. The guy bought it without finance and is selling because of some issues at home.
I am highly suspicious regarding him selling this car as no one in their right mind would sell a recently bought car. Is there any way I can check whether the car has a police case pending or not against it.
Old 25th May 2017, 17:08   #12048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post
I have got an option of an elite i20 3000 km driven March 2017 registration. The guy bought it without finance and is selling because of some issues at home.
I am highly suspicious regarding him selling this car as no one in their right mind would sell a recently bought car. Is there any way I can check whether the car has a police case pending or not against it.
Take the car license number / rc details to the local police station or possibly to the crime records bureau if the local cops tell you.

The other thing is - do the transfer at the same RTO where it was registered, if the RTO accepts the transfer it should be ok

Also get the car appraised by a good mechanic first in case there is some mechanical failure or accident you don't know about.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 17:54   #12049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Take the car license number / rc details to the local police station or possibly to the crime records bureau if the local cops tell you.

The other thing is - do the transfer at the same RTO where it was registered, if the RTO accepts the transfer it should be ok

Also get the car appraised by a good mechanic first in case there is some mechanical failure or accident you don't know about.
Isn't crime records bureau situated in the police station itself?

RTO would be same I guess as the transfer is within the state. (Car registered at ghaziabad and I have id of meerut).
I would get it checked at Hyundai itself.
Old 25th May 2017, 18:00   #12050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't crime records bureau situated in the police station itself?

RTO would be same I guess as the transfer is within the state. (Car registered at ghaziabad and I have id of meerut).
I would get it checked at Hyundai itself.
Depends. In chennai it is centralised on one floor of the police commissioners office.
Old 25th May 2017, 23:35   #12051
BHPian

Sold off our family's Grand i10 Today
  • Dec 2013 Registration
  • 49000 on the odo
  • Cherry Red Color
  • Asta Petrol - Top model
  • Single user
  • Well maintained, service wise.
  • Collected quite a few scratches in the last month

Final Price given by Dealer - Rs 3,45,000
Online valuations were ranging between Rs 3,50,000 to Rs 3,70,000.
Old 26th May 2017, 05:15   #12052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any way I can check whether the car has a police case pending or not against it.
Assuming that the car in question is registered in Delhi/NCR/adjoining states, here is an easy way of checking whether it is indeed stolen. This works out only if the car has been reported missing and a subsequent case has been registered by the police.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 11:10   #12053
BHPian

I am getting a Linea TJet 2012 model in Bangalore for 4.5L (40K driven). Owner seems genuine, and the car looks very well maintained (yet to do mechanic inspection).

Service records says clutch, brake pads, Front suspension, battery changed in the last 1 year. Seems low usage to get this changed - is that normal for Linea Tjet ?

What are the things that I should look out in the Tjet before I close the deal?

Are the service cost very high compared to a ford fiesta petrol (old model which is my current drive) ?
Old 26th May 2017, 12:46   #12054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
Service records says clutch, brake pads, Front suspension, battery changed in the last 1 year. Seems low usage to get this changed - is that normal for Linea Tjet ?
Front suspension usually last for 50k-60k kms even when driven on bad roads. Although nothing to worry, I suspect a little abuse by the owner. The comfortable ride of linea could be the culprit, many do not slow down on bad roads leading to premature suspension wear out. Please get the tyres checked by an expert(misalignment/inconsistent wear pattern), if needed consider replacing them as they too would have born the brunt of bad suspension for a while.

The rest appear to be regular changes as the clutch on petrol cars wears out pretty quickly when driven regularly in the city traffic.
Old 26th May 2017, 17:37   #12055
Senior - BHPian

Is it a generally accepted practice for the dealer to allow a buyer to take the car to the nearest A.S.S for a checkup and then decide on the deal?
Old 26th May 2017, 17:39   #12056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is it a generally accepted practice for the dealer to allow a buyer to take the car to the nearest A.S.S for a checkup and then decide on the deal?
Take the RC details over to the ASS and ask. Bring a trusted mechanic over (maybe not the ASS guy) to appraise the car at the dealer's place.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 17:49   #12057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Take the RC details over to the ASS and ask. Bring a trusted mechanic over (maybe not the ASS guy) to appraise the car at the dealer's place.
You again!

I ended up buying a new Celerio AMT for my wife when I was contemplating a used i10, we exchange few messages that time.

However, now I wish to get a used Fortuner 4x4 (2012) in a price of 15-16 lakhs. At this budget there would be very few cars available so I wish to close the deal (when available) quickly but I have no experience in driving a 4x4 earlier.

I'm most wary of the 4x4 setup that is usually abused by ignorant folks (as I have read) so wanted to figure out what's the best way of testing it.

How does one test 4x4 when buying a used vehicle? Is it better to rely on a mechanic (I know a good one) for testing the 4x4 functionality also?
Old 26th May 2017, 17:59   #12058
Senior - BHPian

How much off-roading do you intend to do? Else a 4x2 is more than enough. Fortuner is also a pretty big jump from a Celerio even without the four wheel drive.

Best way to test a 4wd is to take it to a ghat road or off road and drive for a while - but for that you'd be best adviced to have 4wd experience. Chicken and egg no? . If your mechanic knows 4wd vehicles get him to comment anyway.
Old 27th May 2017, 11:04   #12059
BHPian

Quote:
I am getting a Linea TJet 2012 model in Bangalore for 4.5L (40K driven). Owner seems genuine, and the car looks very well maintained (yet to do mechanic inspection).

What are the things that I should look out in the Tjet before I close the deal?

Are the service cost very high compared to a ford fiesta petrol (old model which is my current drive) ?
One more curious thing that I just found - The RC says it is a Linea Tjet Plus. But it does not have alloy wheels (it has 15 inch steel wheels).

Did 2012 Linea Tjet Plus come with 15 inch steel wheels ?

Did 2012 Linea Tjet Plus have cruise control ?

What should I look out for in specific in a used Linea Tjet Plus ?
Old 27th May 2017, 15:34   #12060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What should I look out for in specific in a used Linea Tjet Plus ?
A little irrelevant, but the following ownership report helps. Please ignore if you have already gone through.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-jet-plus.html
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks