Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 19:06   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Facelift Corolla Altis Spied in Bangalore!

What is stopping Toyota to put in a better engine in the Diesel Altis? I fail to understand the logic. Dont they want to sell more number of cars? I know of s many people including myself who have walked away from the Diesel Altis only because of the tiny engine compared to the other segment contenders. Even if the city driving abilities are not affected still it just puts you off to know that the car comes with an engine from a segment below.

Some people say that they want to stick to there tag line of the best fuel efficiency in the segment. But for a buyer in this segment spending 15L, how important is FE?
Old 24th April 2011, 19:13   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What is stopping Toyota to put in a better engine in the Diesel Altis? I fail to understand the logic. Dont they want to sell more number of cars? I know of s many people including myself who have walked away from the Diesel Altis only because of the tiny engine compared to the other segment contenders. Even if the city driving abilities are not affected still it just puts you off to know that the car comes with an engine from a segment below.

Some people say that they want to stick to there tag line of the best fuel efficiency in the segment. But for a buyer in this segment spending 15L, how important is FE?
I tend to agree with you, the only reason why i have never considered a Corolla is because of the tiny engine. Id buy a 1.8-2 Liter Diesel from Toyota anyday over a Chevy Cruze! They can kill the Cruze with a better engine. Toyota wants to use the 1.4 liter mill on all there cars like the Etios, Etios based Muv due next year and therefore it gives them economies of scale.
Old 24th April 2011, 19:21   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I tend to agree with you, the only reason why i have never considered a Corolla is because of the tiny engine. Id buy a 1.8-2 Liter Diesel from Toyota anyday over a Chevy Cruze! They can kill the Cruze with a better engine. Toyota wants to use the 1.4 liter mill on all there cars like the Etios, Etios based Muv due next year and therefore it gives them economies of scale.
Good for Economy- yeah right. But its not very good for the brand image of the Corolla. Come to think of it, a car in the entry level luxury sedan market having an engine size and output very similar to an i20? in another 2 months from now the Cars in the segment below will all have diesel engines with displacement or output that will put the Corolla to shame!
Old 25th April 2011, 11:54   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

What does this mean for the resale value of the current Altis petrol A/T?
With the 7 speed CVT, the currently 4 speed Altis wouldn't have too many takers in the used car market.
Old 25th April 2011, 13:20   #95
BHPian

Toyota India will be launching the new facelifted Corolla Altis in May. The new Corolla Altis will get a new front grille, slightly redesigned headlights, LED tailamps and new front bumper.
The car wil be offered in the same 1.8 petrol and 1.4 diesel engines. The transmission options include a 5 speed manual and a 7 speed CVT on the petrol, while the diesel comes with a 6 speed manual gear box.
The new 7 speed CVT transmission replaces the old 4 speed torque converter which is offered on the current model. We expect the same variants to be continued and the car will come at a slight premium.
Source: Toyota to launch new Corolla Altis in May | Goa On Wheels
Attached Thumbnails
Facelift Corolla Altis Spied in Bangalore!-new-corolla-altis.jpg  

Facelift Corolla Altis Spied in Bangalore!-toyotacorolla2011.jpg  

Facelift Corolla Altis Spied in Bangalore!-toyotacorolla20113.jpg  

Old 25th April 2011, 14:02   #96
BHPian

The new grill and bumper design does make the car look more sporty. Any idea what would the premium they are charging for the 7 speed auto box?
Old 25th April 2011, 14:32   #97
BHPian

Lol!! I gave this news to the editor of Goa On Wheels.
Old 25th April 2011, 15:07   #98
BHPian

The car now looks a lot more younger and refreshing. I have a doubt here regarding the transmission. CVT transmission is supposed to be like the ones in gear-less scooters. If that is the case, I do not understand the term "7 speed CVT transmission". Could someone throw some light on this please?
Old 25th April 2011, 15:24   #99
BHPian

I currently own the 4 speed auto box corolla altis and i love the car. Its not sluggish or slow. Its great in mumbai traffic and great cruiser on the highway, have managed speeds upto 150 with the car being rock steady. Highway mileage is very good but city is less due to 4 speed and auto.

I wait to see if they've removed those great headlight washers because from the pictures it looks like that. Though not required are very practical during highway trips.

Lets see how they've dealt with the CVT rubber band effect. I wished they had managed to bring in the 2.0 diesel and the 1.6 petrol to join the 1.8 petrol and fire up the competition in the market and yes the Sunroof just for added pleasure. Why not.

Last edited by M00M : 25th April 2011 at 15:27.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:05   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
No strike in TKM. Just that from tomorrow onwards production will be only 3 days a week. It translates into TKM's total output being only 30% of what it can actually produce (both plants combined).This situation will continue till June 4th.
Wonder if other Japanese manufactures will follow.
I am now thinking of considering other options (after withdrawing the booking amount). Any suggestions on alternatives to ALTIS Diesel high end that I originally thought of? The car would be mostly chauffeur driven. Thanks.
Old 25th April 2011, 19:06   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
The car now looks a lot more younger and refreshing. I have a doubt here regarding the transmission. CVT transmission is supposed to be like the ones in gear-less scooters. If that is the case, I do not understand the term "7 speed CVT transmission". Could someone throw some light on this please?
CVT transmission comes in cars also. It was there in NHC.
Old 25th April 2011, 20:13   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Dont they want to sell more number of cars?
I don't think Toyota can sell more Corolla's even if they want to. They are running their 1st plant to max capacity. May be they'll increase Corolla production once they shift Corolla production to plant 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post
I am now thinking of considering other options (after withdrawing the booking amount). Any suggestions on alternatives to ALTIS Diesel high end that I originally thought of? The car would be mostly chauffeur driven. Thanks.
I would suggest you to wait for the new petrol Corolla, as it would have better engine & transmission, resulting in better drive.
May be other bhpians can help on other good chauffeur driven cars.
Me-hul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 21:34   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
I would suggest you to wait for the new petrol Corolla, as it would have better engine & transmission, resulting in better drive.
May be other bhpians can help on other good chauffeur driven cars.
Thanks! But would prefer a diesel any day - I clock at least 70+ kms each day. Would be glad for suggestions from the Gurus
Old 25th April 2011, 21:47   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post
Thanks! But would prefer a diesel any day - I clock at least 70+ kms each day. Would be glad for suggestions from the Gurus
Thats the sad part. There is no better option. Cruze is not exactly a car meant to be chauffeured in. The other diesel cars in C+ segment are:

1. Laura: with your kind of running I will not recommend you to buy it as the reliability will be an issue and the A.S.S is still a big question mark.

2. Jetta: The new one looks fantastic and is expected to launch by this year end. You can also check out the current model. You are sure to get a good deal if you can live with the older model.

Another option I can think of and personally use is the Innova. Take a TD. You will be pleasantly surprised.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 22:12   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Thats the sad part. There is no better option. Cruze is not exactly a car meant to be chauffeured in. The other diesel cars in C+ segment are:

1. Laura: with your kind of running I will not recommend you to buy it as the reliability will be an issue and the A.S.S is still a big question mark.

2. Jetta: The new one looks fantastic and is expected to launch by this year end. You can also check out the current model. You are sure to get a good deal if you can live with the older model.

Another option I can think of and personally use is the Innova. Take a TD. You will be pleasantly surprised.
1. I agree!

2. Will be a long wait I presume. From the post here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-vw-jetta.html it seems it'll be until 2012.
3. Innova will have the same waiting period now that the plant is running at lower capacity

Last edited by aghosht : 25th April 2011 at 22:14. Reason: answered inline by mistake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks