Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 06:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

I believe that the Beat cannot compete with the Figo. The space factor is big difference. Probably the UVA (read Sonic), can stand next to figo if offered with the 1.3MJD.

Anyway, if beat is launched with 3 cyl diesel, then it should be competitively priced. Although I doubt wrt to features.

But, I am sure GM can price is like the cruze pricing. Lets see.
Old 18th February 2011, 09:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I believe that the Beat cannot compete with the Figo. The space factor is big difference. Probably the UVA (read Sonic), can stand next to figo if offered with the 1.3MJD.
Thats absolutely a valid point. But someone said, it can not be compete with Figo in the pricing department. Why not? Beat base petrol model is around 3.7L, I expect the base diesel model would be around 4.4L or 4.5L which is in the same territory as the Figo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Anyway, if beat is launched with 3 cyl diesel, then it should be competitively priced. Although I doubt wrt to features....
In my opinion, this 3-pot diesel is more suitable for Spark. It will just double the volume of Spark. A diesel car with a sub 4 lakh price tag!!
Old 18th February 2011, 10:26   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
which is not a very straight forward job if I am not wrong. this engine would have to prove its road worthiness before the volumes go up. and those of us cribbing about the 'puny' specs of the engine need to answer the question that if fiat starts offering a 1.9 mjd, how many of them would choose to buy 1.9 instead of 1.3?

Not a good move for fiat. they are equipping their current, future rivals with their engine.
Obviously removing a cylinder from an engine is not an straight forward job. The last time we saw such an engine was Accent CRDi which had the 3 Cylinder version of the 4 Cylinder Detroit Diesel engine in Elantra CRDi. This modified 3 cylinder was not a very reliable version, whereas the 4 cylinder unit was extremely reliable with a reputation for longevity.

Hopefully GM has done a good job with the Spark's engine. The main concerns are NVH and Reliability.
Old 18th February 2011, 10:49   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Obviously removing a cylinder from an engine is not an straight forward job. The last time we saw such an engine was Accent CRDi which had the 3 Cylinder version of the 4 Cylinder Detroit Diesel engine in Elantra CRDi. This modified 3 cylinder was not a very reliable version, whereas the 4 cylinder unit was extremely reliable with a reputation for longevity.

Hopefully GM has done a good job with the Spark's engine. The main concerns are NVH and Reliability.
The Accent CRDi was the one of the first CRDi engines, developed when the technology itself was in its infancy. The fact that the rev-happy engine was invariably driven with a heavy right foot, no doubt contributed to the issues that occured later on. Still, my understanding is that the issues if any started after 80K, right?

I think that common rail tech has matured enough to be applied to small capacity engines as well. If Mahindra can pull off a common rail system for a 2 cyl engine in a high mileage, high stress application, then GM can definitely do it.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:17   #50
BHPian

Will be good for the market if they can pull it off. We are likely to see similar engines in a lot of smaller hatches.

Regarding the probability for success, I think GM can play on the factor that most Jap Diesels do not have fully loaded versions (Discussed in detail in the recent thread). If they bring out a fully loaded version at a reasonable price, they do have a big chance of doing really well.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:39   #51
BHPian

Beat Diesel was always on the cards. However a 936cc version makes me a little circumspect as a buyer. In my opinion , beat diesel will definitely affect the sales of Figo as well as Ritz. Another important factor will be availability of the car. Beat petrol has been available almost without any waiting period , with the increase in number of sales this may lead to a waiting period. I think the price difference might be around 50000 - 80000 which will make it another vaue for money buy.
Old 18th February 2011, 12:44   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
In my opinion , beat diesel will definitely affect the sales of Figo as well as Ritz.
I think otherwise. Figo and Ritz both are known to be more of practical hatches and I believe the target audience for Beat [pure style wanting audience] will be different from Ritz / Figo.

Please note that Figo & Ritz are both not-so-great looking cars and Beat has one "step-ahead" looks which may not be tasteful for middle aged people. Only those buyers who want a stylish car, but would have settled for Ritz / Figo because they had no other option, might look at Beat is my thought. Again, If they wanted a stylish car, Swift is always there which is not much costlier than Figo.

Probably those people who used to look at the petrol cars in the same price range where Beat D is going to be positioned might turn towards this car for the Diesel factor.

Edit: Congrats Mr.Beat and Welcome to t-bhp !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th February 2011 at 12:46.
Old 18th February 2011, 15:10   #53

Well folks, the diesel race has started and will only get hotter in the days to come. Beat has fired the salvo and I suppose the target segment is Santro/ WagonR rather than Swift or Figo. Also, performance would not be in the Swift category.

The missing cylinder would probably make commercial sense to GM but it would have been welcome nevertheless.

Beats already scores on the 'looks' and a diesel sibling might give the model a shot in the arm as the Swift DDis did to its petrol counterpart. Deja vu to Swift, I see the Beat petrol sales also rising as long waiting periods would see shifts to petrol model. Kudos to GM for a smart move

Ans yes, the 3 cylinder/ 4 cylinder war is not much of a issue as the junta is not so technically oriented like our TBHP brotherhood. Only question that would crop up is "kitna deti hai ?" And given the technical spec, I believe GM has that firmly covered.
Old 18th February 2011, 22:21   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I doubt whether its going to be 1.3 MJD in Beat. I read a article in ET which says that Beat will be powered by a 1 litre Diesel engine.

""Beat with a one litre diesel engine will also be coming in June this year", General Motors India Vice-President P Balendran said after unveiling the LPG variant here. "

<<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/auto/automobiles/gm-to-introduce-diesel-variant-of-chevrolet-beat-by-june-2011/articleshow/7494364.cms>>
you're right Rameshnanda, this is what i too heard of, "The Diesel Engine of the Chevrolet beat will be a 1 Litre CRDI Diesel Engine. It will produce a Max Power of about 60 BHP and Max Torque of about 100 Nm. The engines will be manufactured at the Talegaon Plant of Chevrolet India."

Are they still any buyers now, sad engine specs to be honest

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2011 at 19:29. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares. It results in a formatting error.
Old 18th February 2011, 23:22   #55
BHPian

Good move by GMI. A fully loaded (LTZ) verison at 5.5 L will sell like hot cakes. Buyers like me are ready to shell out upto 6L for Beat Diesel AT (If it ever happens)
Old 19th February 2011, 12:58   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Good move by GMI. A fully loaded (LTZ) verison at 5.5 L will sell like hot cakes. Buyers like me are ready to shell out upto 6L for Beat Diesel AT (If it ever happens)

That is my grouse too, testosterone. So many deisel hatchbacks but not a single AT.
Old 19th February 2011, 20:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

^^5.5 will be good in several places, but will be a killer in bangalore, as it will be much higher owing to the taxes here.

They should have launched the diesel much earlier, at about the same time when they launched the petrol version as well. But, I feel it can not shake up the sales of cars like the Figo. One reason why the Figo sells more is purely because of its space. For a majority of the people in that segment, it is their first car, only car (by virtue of an upgrade from a smaller car like alto/800). Hence, they want more for the same price, which the figo has oodles of.

One big suitcase in the Beat and say bye bye to boot space practicality. Also, people prefer to go in for something looking a bit more subtle

But lets see what the Beat D does
Old 19th February 2011, 23:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
More important for GM is the pricing, they have already made a blunder by pricing LPG BEAT way too high, hope they do not do the same with Diesel version.

So right, GM is still miles and miles away from being a trusted brand in India. If it is priced about at least Rs. 70K less than the Swift Ldi, or about Rs. 50K less from Figo, OTR, then maybe they have a chance, otherwise the demo car will be clocking more miles than any of those on the road!
Old 20th February 2011, 09:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
So right, GM is still miles and miles away from being a trusted brand in India. If it is priced about at least Rs. 70K less than the Swift Ldi, or about Rs. 50K less from Figo, OTR, then maybe they have a chance, otherwise the demo car will be clocking more miles than any of those on the road!
Impossible to do so. If my earlier analysis in this thread has any solidity it will be priced upward of Ford

In My opinion the selling point could be mileage. I am hoping they get a real good mileage number to this owing to a small capacity of engine and weight of vehicle. Design remains superior to ford and Boot space is immaterial for office commuters. h

I am waiting for the mileage numbers. If they are superior to figo/Micra I am still going for it even if the price is more than Figo.

Last edited by anu21v : 20th February 2011 at 09:30.
Old 20th February 2011, 10:17   #60
BHPian

In India, as of now, Mileage is above everything else (including space, looks and other tit bits). I think Beat USP is Mileage and looks like it will set new standards here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks