Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:29   #241
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Under-powered sure it will be. But this should not be compared to a Figo or a Swift diesel. This could be a new segment created. Beat is a very light and small car. This could become the next Alto. Peppy in the cities and extremely fuel efficient on the highways.

And yes, other cars have their diesel engines priced at least 1 Lakh more than their petrol sibling mostly because of the capacity increase.
Figo fits their Fiesta 1.4 engine which is from one segment higher.
Swift has to pay the premium to Fiat for their diesel engines.

But there won't be any such problems for the Beat. The capacity will be lesser than the petrol sibling and probably might save a bit on the tax front.
I will not be surprised if this is priced very close to the petrol variant.
A cylinder less can probably make up for the component costs.

I wish and hope your true, this will surely be a hot selling car if priced close to the petrol variant or just 30k more than petrol variant.
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:47   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash24 View Post
I wish and hope your true, this will surely be a hot selling car if priced close to the petrol variant or just 30k more than petrol variant.

Just now spoke with two dealers - Sundaram Motors (Chennai), where they said price would be 5 - 5.5 lacs (OTR) range and they started bookings from today, then Anamalai's - Coimbatore, Price range according to them is 4.0lacs to 4.3 lacs (base version - ex. showroom). Launch will be by July 1st week for sure...
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:08   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
And yes, other cars have their diesel engines priced at least 1 Lakh more than their petrol sibling mostly because of the capacity increase.
Figo fits their Fiesta 1.4 engine which is from one segment higher.
Swift has to pay the premium to Fiat for their diesel engines.

But there won't be any such problems for the Beat. The capacity will be lesser than the petrol sibling and probably might save a bit on the tax front.
I will not be surprised if this is priced very close to the petrol variant.
A cylinder less can probably make up for the component costs.
The price difference has nothing to do with capacities, for eg the swift petrol was a higher capacity engine than the diesel initially. And the same 1.4 diesel fiesta you mentioned costs 1 lakh more than the 1.6 petrol variant.

Diesel engines inherently cost more than their petrol counterparts as the block has to be stronger, high pressure injectors are used, and turbocharger + piping (maybe a few more things but ive covered the major parts). There wont be any difference in tax for the Beat P and D as they both fall under the small car segment. So while the engine should still be relatively cheap compared to other diesels, the loss of a cylinder wont reduce costs that much. I would still expect at least a 50k premium over the petrol

Last edited by radiokidb : 23rd June 2011 at 13:10.
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:40   #244
Senior - BHPian

I think there will be quite a margin of difference between the Beat Petrol and Diesel models spec on spec with respect to pricing. And it maynot have everything to do with the cost of production.

If the price difference is less, Chevy will find it rather difficult to ship the petrol Beat. With the current fuel price scenario, how many propective buyers will be willing to pick the Petrol over the Diesel if the difference is petty?

Last edited by deetjohn : 23rd June 2011 at 13:41. Reason: rewording
Old 23rd June 2011, 14:22   #245
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Not just for the sake of price or efficiency boss, Chevy couldn't have fit the relatively large 1.3 MJD under the Beats hood. So they would have had to design an all new 4 cylinder, 1 L Diesel mill. But that would take a lot of R&D as it would be a new engine and thus would raise the cost too. Thus this relatively less expensive cylinder chop job I suppose
1.2 litre EcoTec engine isnt exactly a tight fit in the engine bay of the Beat. I am sure fitting a 1.3 litre compact Fiat diesel engine would not be a problem. I would have bought the car in a heart beat (pun very much intended) if it were the full blown engine, with a three cylinder I have my reservations.
Old 23rd June 2011, 20:14   #246
Senior - BHPian

Usually diesels are priced a good 15% higher than the petrol siblings. IMO, this is largely to protect the sales of the petrol siblings and doesnt have much to do with input costs associated with producing a diesel engine/car.

Now with Beat petrol sales so low, I wonder if they really are going to hit the 15% higher prices.. As someone said on this thread, it could be just 50K higher!

Like Ford with Figo, GM deserves to enjoy the benefits of the economy of scale.. Once they have tasted it, the company's strategies & fortunes in India should change!
Old 23rd June 2011, 20:29   #247
BHPian

GM India has already stated that the prices will be 10-15% higher than the P variant. Now if we consider the Beat LT(o) model OTR in Navi Mumbai costs about 5.2 Lakhs. Add another 12.5 % to that and you will consider a premium of 65,000-70,000 coming to around about 5.9 OTR which is around 50,000 less than highest model of figo as well as 70 k higher than highest P variant.
Old 23rd June 2011, 20:32   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Usually diesels are priced a good 15% higher than the petrol siblings.As someone said on this thread, it could be just 50K higher!
You got it slightly wrong there. Usually, diesel engines are priced a good 20-25% [which amounts to 1L difference]. Beat is supposed to have only a 10-15% premium helping the prices to be between 35-50K more than the petrol version. So the 50K mentioned in the post will be more or less equivalent to the 15% premium over a top end Beat petrol. [Infact it will work out to a 65K more than the petrol top end Beat I guess].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Add another 12.5 % to that and you will consider a premium of 65,000-70,000 coming to around about 5.9 OTR which is around 50,000 less than highest model of figo as well as 70 k higher than highest P variant.
And in that you get 1. ACC, 2. Dual Airbags, 3. rear wash & wipe, 4. decent HU with USB / aux etc than a Swift / Figo which costs 6.2L/6.4L [I assume] OTR Mumbai ! Now that's what looks like VFM right ?? And yeah, those extra kmpl's too.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd June 2011 at 20:41.
Old 23rd June 2011, 21:18   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You got it slightly wrong there. Usually, diesel engines are priced a good 20-25% [which amounts to 1L difference]. Beat is supposed to have only a 10-15% premium helping the prices to be between 35-50K more than the petrol version. So the 50K mentioned in the post will be more or less equivalent to the 15% premium over a top end Beat petrol. [Infact it will work out to a 65K more than the petrol top end Beat I guess].

And in that you get 1. ACC, 2. Dual Airbags, 3. rear wash & wipe, 4. decent HU with USB / aux etc than a Swift / Figo which costs 6.2L/6.4L [I assume] OTR Mumbai ! Now that's what looks like VFM right ?? And yeah, those extra kmpl's too.
Sure seems like THE VFM package! The icing on the cake would be the 3-yr maint package for FREE or for a small fee!!

GM have taken a chance with the smaller engine but the overall package might turn out to be a cracker of a deal!
Old 23rd June 2011, 21:31   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Sure its a diesel ? The car is supposed to be launched somewhere in mid July as per reports.
Yes, the car which says TCDi. My office shares space with the Chevrolet.
Old 23rd June 2011, 21:38   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Yes, the car which says TCDi. My office shares space with the Chevrolet.
Cheap trick?

Why not lure them toward a test drive?
Old 23rd June 2011, 21:50   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
1.2 litre EcoTec engine isnt exactly a tight fit in the engine bay of the Beat. I am sure fitting a 1.3 litre compact Fiat diesel engine would not be a problem. I would have bought the car in a heart beat (pun very much intended) if it were the full blown engine, with a three cylinder I have my reservations.
We cant really compare petrol and diesel engine sizes Buddy I recently visited Ford factory, they had various engines on display and the 1.4L petrol was much more compact than the 1.4D. Probably because of the additional turbo charger and intercooler among other things.
Old 23rd June 2011, 22:21   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Diesel engines inherently cost more than their petrol counterparts as the block has to be stronger, high pressure injectors are used, and turbocharger + piping (maybe a few more things but ive covered the major parts).
I am just nit picking but the costliest item for its size would be the fuel injection pump for diesel cars.
Old 24th June 2011, 11:38   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasana_19 View Post
Just now spoke with two dealers - Sundaram Motors (Chennai), where they said price would be 5 - 5.5 lacs (OTR) range and they started bookings from today, then Anamalai's - Coimbatore, Price range according to them is 4.0lacs to 4.3 lacs (base version - ex. showroom). Launch will be by July 1st week for sure...
I don't why everyone is so high on expectation on beat diesel pricing. Don't think it will be as cheap as people are pointing it out here.

If you closely scrutinize Beat Petrol and Beat LPG, Its very much clear that Beat-LPG is priced close to 32-35 thousand Extra over their Petrol Counterpart.

Diesel Engine+ Emission CATCONs (much bigger for Diesel engines) + New Transmission+ Electronic Power Steering+ Bigger Tires+Change in suspension + change in harnesses+new airconditioning systems and numerous other changes, it all will cost way too higher than an LPG option. To me it will easily add atleast 1 to 1.15 lakh on a petrol model. The cost of converting a diesel car to a LPG if it can cost 32-35thousand than for Diesel it will surely be much higher.

Not to forget designing of the engine, Localizing it with two new factories (I remeber they started engine factory just this january).

Oh man i wish it can cost just 25% extra to we consumers but truely rationally thinking, I dont think Chevy can pull off with a less than 4.5 Lakh price band (even this too only after taking a hit on their profits )

Exhorbitant cost of Petrol to diesel conversion is the precise reason why i10 is not coming out with a diesel option, even though they sell a diesel i10 in europe market. To my understanding, the cost difference of a petrol to diesel model remains roughly 1-1.25 lakh whether you do it on Superb or vento or Linea or micra or polo or ritz or even i20, that is unless you are Tata.

Last edited by anu21v : 24th June 2011 at 11:45.
anu21v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 11:46   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I don't why everyone is so high on expectation on beat diesel pricing. Don't think it will be as cheap as people are pointing it out here.

If you closely scrutinize Beat Petrol and Beat LPG, Its very much clear that Beat-LPG is priced close to 32-35 thousand Extra over their Petrol Counterpart.

Diesel Engine+ Emission CATCONs (much bigger for Diesel engines) + New Transmission+ Electronic Power Steering+ Bigger Tires+Change in suspension + change in harnesses+new airconditioning systems and numerous other changes, it all will cost way too higher than an LPG option. To me it will easily add atleast 1 to 1.15 lakh on a petrol model. The cost of converting a diesel car to a LPG if it can cost 32-35thousand than for Diesel it will surely be much higher.

Not to forget designing of the engine, Localizing it with two new factories (I remeber they started engine factory just this january).

Oh man i wish it can cost just 25% extra to we consumers but truely I rationally thinking, I dont think Chevy can pull off with a less than 4.5 Lakh price band.

Exhorbitant cost of Petrol to diesel conversion is the precise reason why i10 is not coming out with a diesel option, even though they sell a diesel i10 in europe market. To my understanding, the cost difference of a petrol to diesel model remains roughly 1-1.25 lakh whether you do it on Superb or vento or Linea or micra, that is unless you are Tata.

Now this was an extremely informative post. A right perspective of sorts.

But the pricing matters a LOT.

As I had read in some other post on this forum - the whole price calculation of whether to buy a diesel car and factor in your running kms & maintenance etc.

From what I hear - Chevrolet still offers the 3 years / 1,00,000 kms Warranty - which is a good deal and should be considered while factoring in the cost.
& ofcourse - not to forget that later spares are on the 'expensive' side. Not like Skoda - but relatively higher - to say a Maruti or Tata.

I love the Beat's RPM meter !

I wonder why - besides the Honda Civic - no-one else offers a Digital Speedometer ?

Anyways - guess every company is facing the heat of the Petrol prices !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks