Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 15:57   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Steve Slater's blunders during commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Ah, If we were to list out all the mistakes that Steve does, we would be having a very large thread. The guy should have retired long ago, I mean atleast 10 years ago.
Yes, there are many. I will start looking for those glorious blunders from the next race onwards. He is quite a joke nowadays. Many times, I have heard his co-commentators correcting him. Even Chandok was doing it (correcting Slater) regularly a couple of seasons back
Old 15th June 2011, 16:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
IIRC, he messed up between Mark Webber and Vettel thrice during the Canadian GP. Thrice!

Chris Goodwin was much better.
Yeah, Chris Goodwin was always there to correct Steve. Their partnership was a long standing one and quite enjoyable.

For Steve, every following session is the best he has had in his entire life.
This is the most memorable races of the season so far" - This means he enjoyed commenting on the race and the viewers got bored
Old 15th June 2011, 16:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
I stream BBC commentary with Star Sports HD feed on my TV
Star Sports HD??? What connection do you have??

Quote:
Gary Anderson is good because he has actually raced and built cars professionally, including for F1 teams like Jordan.
Gary Anderson (surprisingly, considering his involvement in F1) comes up with rubbish sometimes as well. For instance, he can never make out whetehr the DRS wing is open or not.
And he confused all viewers by saying that tyres couldnt be changed under red flags. He does make mistakes like that sometimes (probably bcos of so many rule changes since his time at Jordan)

But agreed, he is anyday better than Slater
Old 15th June 2011, 16:44   #19
BHPian

Well, inspite of all the mistakes in his commentary, I usually enjoy his commentary. Enjoy the trademark "The 5 lights illuminate..." sentence at the start of every race!
I used to like his partnership with chris goodwin. karun chandok is quite good now. Alex yoong, although is quite informative, is not a good commentator in my opinion.

Bring on the rest of the blunders and we shall enjoy. Even I shall look for them and post here in future races
Old 15th June 2011, 17:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
There is not even a remote similarity between the two !
Come on! Be fair to the ol' chap. Both cars have 4 wheels, 1 front wing, 1 rear wing, 1 driver driving the car.
You gotta give him the benefit of doubt
Old 15th June 2011, 17:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
Star Sports HD??? What connection do you have??
Steve Slater's commentary is muted (the best way to enjoy his commentary actually), TV. And audio is played off my comp which streams BBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
Gary Anderson (surprisingly, considering his involvement in F1) comes up with rubbish sometimes as well. For instance, he can never make out whetehr the DRS wing is open or not.
And he confused all viewers by saying that tyres couldnt be changed under red flags. He does make mistakes like that sometimes (probably bcos of so many rule changes since his time at Jordan)

But agreed, he is anyday better than Slater
No idea about him not making out about the DRS wings. But changing tyres was actually not allowed until this year under red flag rules. For that matter, even Lewis Hamilton's rear-wing repair would not be allowed. The rules seem to have been changed this year. That was most definitely not a mistake, most other commentators and educated fans were surprised when they saw what was going on.
Old 15th June 2011, 18:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Pranavt: Where do you sttream the BBC commentary from?
Old 15th June 2011, 23:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

You guys think steve slater is annoying, see this

Old 16th June 2011, 00:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah?
Old 16th June 2011, 00:35   #25
Team-BHP Support

In case any of you are interested in Motorcycle racing, skip Moto GP commentary (its decent, on par) please hear Jonathan Green and Steve Martin go all out during WSBK races.

Its a delight to hear them both, especially Jonathan.

I like the F1 commentators when they shut up and ask you to hear the engine screaming at 18,000 revs.
Old 16th June 2011, 07:58   #26
BHPian

Wow! What an Awesome Thread!!! I have been so pissed of with Steve Commentary lately! He messes up Driver names in Every Single Race! The Maldonado and Rosberg Mix-up is just so stupid! The cars don't even look similar! :X

And how did he manage to forget the name of the Safety Car? This is the car they have been using Since the 2010 season! And the name isn't even hard! "SLS AMG"! How hard is that???

And hes so damn repetitive!!!

I have watched BBC's coverage of Formula 1 and even the pre-race shows are so much better! Their Commentary is light years better than ESPN Star! If only we could get their coverage in India!
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 10:13   #27
BHPian

I doubt Chris Goodwin will return to the commentary box anytime soon. Wasnt he driving some Mclaren at the Goodwood festival of speed recently ? Also, I think he was managing Bruno Senna's career before he entered F1 and is now also managing some other young GP2 driver's career (dont know who)

He's getting a lot of on track and off track action these days. Beats sitting in a small studio in England and calling races looking at a TV screen, every day of the week.

I wished ESPN Star atleast had the sense to send their commentary team trackside, atleast for a few races in a year. As an alternative, the least they could've done is use the BBC audio feed directly (As the Aussie networks used to do) and save them the blushes

BTW, I thought Karun was a good commentator as well, but then, I'd rather see him finishing out his racing career first. He deserves a seat in F1 much more than Karthikeyan.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Steve Slater's commentary is muted (the best way to enjoy his commentary actually), TV. And audio is played off my comp which streams BBC.

No idea about him not making out about the DRS wings. But changing tyres was actually not allowed until this year under red flag rules. For that matter, even Lewis Hamilton's rear-wing repair would not be allowed. The rules seem to have been changed this year. That was most definitely not a mistake, most other commentators and educated fans were surprised when they saw what was going on.
Still havent answered my question. How come you get Star Sports HD?

And about the rules, I'm not so sure it has changed this year. The red flag rule is in place mainly for abnormal weather conditions so tyre changes were allowed. Repair of wings should definitley not be allowed without a penalty or starting from the pitlane or someting. Then again, I'm not fully sure if the rules were changed recently. We havent had a red flag due to an accident in ages.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:01   #29
Mik
BHPian

Surprised to see so many Slater Haters. I, for one, quite enjoy his commentary. Yes he makes a few mistakes rather regularly, but there is no one like him on the commentary panel (past and present - Goodwin included) who are so crazily passionate at thinking up non existent strategies or glorifying some decent drives.
To me, he is just like us, the flag waving/irrational MS lovers-haters/statistic rattling F1 fan. Also, i think he does know his role. Time and again, he asks for a drivers perspective from his co-commentators.
Also, its fun seeing a Chandok/Yoong constantly correcting him

There is nothing like "The five red lights illllu-mminate..."

--Mik (ooh la la la le O -- old F1 fan)
Old 16th June 2011, 11:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

What ever error he makes while commentary, I like his way of explaining technical details and strategies. Also like his excitement on on-track and pit incidents.

Just want Chris Goodwin along with him. The combo are still my favorites for ESPNStar F1 commentary.

: Along with above if Michael starts his winning ways, OMG! it will be a dream come true. Just waiting for that.

Cheers!

Vinu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks