Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2011, 13:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Steve Slater's blunders during commentary

I find it incredulous to see a whole thread dedicated to this subject. So what is your point? If you want Steve Slater removed, please write to Star.

Does he make mistakes? Yes. I think he would be the first person to admit that. That comes with having a sense of humour.

Take it easy. Have a laugh. And for a change, watch the race.
Old 25th June 2011, 15:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Well said MaserQ .

He has lot more to deliver.

Steve, please keep going.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 25th June 2011, 22:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Come on guys. He is only human. It is not easy to do real time commentary, and as hone of us have tried our hand at it, I dont think we should be this harsh on Steve.
So if I can't build a bridge like the Bandra Worli Sealink, I shouldn't be allowed to criticise the actual developers?

And there are quite a few commentators who can do real-time commentary without making the huge blunders that he makes. And I'm paying to watch the race which would be destroyed were it not for Martin Brundle and David Coulthard.
Old 26th June 2011, 00:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quite honestly, I enjoy his commentary. His sense of humour is cherishable. I don't really make a note of the mistakes he makes. But hey, understandable. When you're required to call the race in real-time, it gets pretty difficult. It must be pretty hard to differentiate two cars of the same team atleast. But yeah, getting the team itself wrong is weird.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:26   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quite a good show by Slater this time around! Yesterday, it took him only 2 minutes to realize that Alonso gained a place on Webber after the last round of pit stops.

And since it was such a boring race, he didn't get enough opportunities to make his mark. Maybe the only benefit with a race in Valencia.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Come on guys. He is only human. It is not easy to do real time commentary, and as hone of us have tried our hand at it, I dont think we should be this harsh on Steve. Watch the race for the fun of motorsport not to spot mistakes in someones commentary. Jeez....What a waste!!
Agreed. He may be human and its human to make mistakes. But commentary is his job! He better be good at it. Or find another job.

Its irritating when someone consistently gets the names, cars and facts wrong.
good.car-ma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 11:55   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Quite a good show by Slater this time around! Yesterday, it took him only 2 minutes to realize that Alonso gained a place on Webber after the last round of pit stops.

And since it was such a boring race, he didn't get enough opportunities to make his mark. Maybe the only benefit with a race in Valencia.
And he kept insisting that Rosberg was fighting for a place with Webber when it was clearly one of the Torro Rosso cars!! BTW, the frame before that showed Webber fighting with Alonso!!
Old 10th July 2011, 19:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

Today, I thought slater was good. He even corrected Gary on one occasion. Good show Steve.
Old 11th July 2011, 13:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

I think it was for 5-7 laps where he and Gary Anderson both mistook Nico Rosberg and Kamui Kobayashi having a tussle, when it was infact Kobayashi's teammate Perez who was trying to overtake Rosberg. One look at the charts would have shown that Kobayashi was 2-3 places ahead, having his own race. Good heavens, what were they smoking? Mistaking a driver for a single corner is acceptable. It gets frustrating after half a lap. They kept going on and on.
Old 11th July 2011, 13:53   #55
Team-BHP Support

The race was so exciting that I really did not give an ear for the blunders. That said, I was quite thrilled with the duel between Hamilton and Massa in the last lap, that I rewind the broadcast for a few minutes to watch the ultra-slow-motion replay again. And heard an excited Slater something like this “Hamilton did not give any width to Alonso, and he got pushed off the track”!

And Alonso, without knowing this, was doing the victory lap
Old 11th July 2011, 21:34   #56
BHPian

And No mention about the song Steve Slater Sang? Am I the only one who saw it? Damn, I'm never turning on the telly again!
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 04:34   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
And No mention about the song Steve Slater Sang? Am I the only one who saw it? Damn, I'm never turning on the telly again!

@ esoticoreventon: I am with you on that mate, I watched it too. The one with the umbrella where he was singing, "Pyar Hua Ikraar Hua"- NOT. Whatever that song was, it was not required & wasn't surprising it came from him.
Old 12th July 2011, 07:08   #58
Team-BHP Support

Slater is pretty good when he is off the excitement of race commentary

Here is a well written piece from espnstar website: Editorial | Slater: Webber is faster than you | ESPNSTAR.com
Old 12th July 2011, 11:21   #59
BHPian

Quote:
You guys should watch the BBC broadcast of the F1 races. The BEST in the world! I have literally started to hate the ESPN versions now. Oh and, there are no commercial breaks on the BBC
How do we get them here? You are just making us jealous
Old 12th July 2011, 11:35   #60
BANNED

I think the same chaps are on aunty as well. One has to make a proviso that they are talking extempore, with a lot of excitement. So some slips are but natural, and we should take them in the right spirit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks