Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:54   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by route666 View Post
F1 is a team sport..what is wrong in moving over for you team mate if he has the chance to win the championship beating their rivals...i just can't understand some peoples line of thought.. it is a TEAM sport...
Well yes and no! It is a team sport so yes. It is unethical to move aside for your partner because all the racers are supposed to be competing to win the race and not to ensure that someone else wins the race!

That said I think any racer in Massa's shoes would have moved over save Alonso. Also I feel that much is being made out this issue. That Kimi caught and overtook Massa may have been team orders in part but phenomenally quick in laps in part too. Let us not take it away from Kimi.He put in two or three stupendously quick laps before coming in for the pit stop (and maybe Massa backed off a bit too )
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:15   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Well yes and no! It is a team sport so yes. It is unethical to move aside for your partner because all the racers are supposed to be competing to win the race and not to ensure that someone else wins the race!
That said I think any racer in Massa's shoes would have moved over save Alonso. Also I feel that much is being made out this issue. That Kimi caught and overtook Massa may have been team orders in part but phenomenally quick in laps in part too. Let us not take it away from Kimi.He put in two or three stupendously quick laps before coming in for the pit stop (and maybe Massa backed off a bit too )
again you are missing the point here "TEAM"....if someone from another team had moved over for this win then ofcourse wat you say is correct....and this was not just a race win this was for the championship man...in the past drivers have given their car to their teammate so that they can win the championship........ and all the sponsors and people @ maranello wouldn't have been pleased if massa sticked to his ethics and let kimi loss the championship
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:19   #63
Senior - BHPian

Way to go KIMI...
What a fantastic race, One of the best race in the recent past.
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:29   #64
BHPian

Well no one is to be blamed but RON DENNIS himself, especially after his statement during the China GP "we were not worried about Kimi, we were racing against Alonso", it changed everything.
By playing 50/50 with both drivers, (60H:40A, according to me), he just managed to snatch defeat.
But whatever, Kimi in the second half of the season muscelled his way past the McLarens.
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

Great show by Kimi. I'm happy that he won. I sure liked the way he drove for McLaren two years back. He was so near and yet so far. Trouble with reliability and all that. He sure was my winner that year. The number of times he had engine blowout/change and then topped the qualifying so that he can start 10th and then went on to come either 1st/2nd or 3rd. That was awesome.

Alonso has brought a lot of reliability to McLaren. Just see the last two years for McLaren. McLaren was in a winning position this year thanks to Alonso's team contribution. However Ron being the idealist sort of mismanaged the whole show. Either he should have let Alonso know at the beginning of the year that he's not the No. 1 in the team or shouldn't have taken him at all. I'm pretty sure Ron knew what kind of person Alonso is before he took him.

Briatore would be happy to have Alonso back. Renault has done badly this year and they'll be glad to have him back.

Ferrari according to me has always been given preferential treatment and I guess the whole soap opera orchestrated by Bernie is proof of that.

England should never have a world champion just because of their press/media overhype. Football/Cricket/rugby/tennis... now F1. :-)
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:41   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanh_hunt View Post
hmmm... maybe these were harsh words coming out of real frustration. What else can you say when you snatch defeat from victory?? Can you tell me who is to blame for Mclaren loss here?
Well, when Alonso beat Michael Schumacher, was anyone at Ferrari blamed?
Nopes!
Playing the blame game only reflects a negative attitude. It's best not to cry over spilt milk and just move on. That's the only way one can be successful.
I might sound rather philosophical, but, isn't it true?
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:47   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post

Well said. Alonso stood a realistic chance at becoming the World Champion too. What if something were to go wrong with Kimi's or Massa's car on the last lap? Why should he have backed off? Besides, there was no guarantee that Hamilton would finish either.
Kimi drove a good race and won. Let's be happy about it.
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:48   #68
Senior - BHPian

So in a nutshell:

McLaren had the championship in their hands!!! And all they did with it was gift wrap it and hand it over to Ferrari
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:53   #69
Team-BHP Support

I am not the biggest Mclaren supporter, but I really feel for Dennis. The only problem they had in the beginning of the year was deciding which driver would take the championship. Then they had spygate, internal rivalry that broke the team, FIA officials watching their every move, the constructors title taken away, and then as if someone somewhere had something against Ron, the drivers title, which seemed like a certainty, was lost!!

I do hope we don't see Ron jumping off a building anytime soon!
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:54   #70
BHPian

Much like the Indian cricket team of yore!

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:57   #71
BHPian

Kimi has most number of wins this year and 15 wins overall in his career. That is next only to Alonso in the current lot of drivers. so he is very well worth to be the champion. Lewis and sundry can wait for their turn!
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:15   #72
Senior - BHPian

What a race, what a race, what a race. Finally the day arrived.... All hail the iceman!
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:54   #73
Senior - BHPian

An update

Mclaren plan to appeal the stewards decision of not punishing the BMW and Williams. So they say it still hangs in the balance.
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:07   #74
BHPian

Yeah, read that on itv-f1. The date of their appeal has not been decided.
I guess this roller-coaster ride still isn't over.
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:15   #75
Senior - BHPian

For all those who wrote off Kimi mid-season, this is a huge cake-in-the-face moment! Ok, so if could have gone any which way in the final race. But, I will quote a rare sensible utterance from Alonso - 'I said many times who has more points in the last race deserves the championship'. Its that simple.

While all the limelight was on the Mclaren duo, Kimi just kept adding up the points in the latter half of the season, almost unnoticed. And he won 6 races, the most by a driver this year.

He took time (as did Alonso) to dial in the Ferrari/Bridgestone combo to his liking and once he did that, the results spoke for themselves.

Well done Kimi !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks