Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 11:11   #151
BHPian

re: My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya sinha View Post
Dear Mohit,
We got a D4D in the family in august 2011, exactly a month prior to your vehicle delivery.
============
. the discs cost a whopping 10K, if after every 20K odd kms, if this becomes a recurring cost, then something is wrong somewhere.
Well its really disappointing to note that the brake pad issues still remain unresolved in the Altis. My almost 8 yr corolla also had brake pad and brake disc issues which I had discussed on the forum but your run rate of being asked to change them at 24k is the lowest I've heard. My first changes were done at around 40k and the second ones were at around 70k. With my service due in couple of months at 95k I'm sure the ASC will recommend me a change again.

In short the brakes are eally the corolla and Altis cars Achilles heel so you opinion of looking at outside of the ASC for them is understandable
Old 18th December 2012, 11:20   #152
BHPian

My question is not about availability of brake pads in the open market, or how cheap would they be? Obviously, if other products who are cheaper, and do the same job, would score more than Toyota OE. No doubt. My question is, has Toyota given us a relatively high end product, which is in mass production, with a certain defect?
I accept, i can be fleeced once, regarding the disc issue, but are other users also facing a similar problem in their new altis? Is this problem only diesel oriented or other versions of altis also face similar fate?

Is wearing of brake pads and discs, simultaneously, as claimed by ***, within 24K kms. a normal phenomena?
Old 18th December 2012, 12:25   #153
BHPian

I'd second the discussion over after-market brake pads. Had a Corolla in the family (now sold) and it too had the same brake pad issue. Lasted only 20k and A*S*S wanted me to change. Got a quote of 6k + labour from them. I opted for after market Bosch pads costing 2k and got them fixed at a reputed garage. This lasted me for nearly 40k before it warranted a replacement.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:28   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is wearing of brake pads and discs, simultaneously, as claimed by ***, within 24K kms. a normal phenomena?
As far as I am aware, the disc pads (softer compound ones) wear out faster, however, the discs are supposed to have longer life. If the disc rotors are being eaten away then, there is something other than the brake pads which is causing the premature wear on the disc rotors.

Wearing of discs and pads simultaneously is not a normal phenomenon.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:31   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My question is why are the rear discs and pads gone before the front ones?
Is this car RWD?

Can somebody answer this please?
Old 18th December 2012, 12:41   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
My question is why are the rear discs and pads gone before the front ones?
Is this car RWD?

Can somebody answer this please?
No this is not a RWD car. Neither a RWD should have faster wear of rear discs pads and rotors.

The possible explainations I could give is,

1. The brakes have bias towards the rear may be 40:60 (front to rear) which is very unlikely.
2. The defective design is ensuring the rear ones wear out faster.
3. Abrasive foreign material increasing the wear of discs pads and rotors.
Old 18th December 2012, 13:52   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have brought back the old discs with me. I shall very soon be posting pictures of the same. Then i would invite comments on the state they are in.
That should e most helpful. BTW did you drop a mail to Toyota?

Quote:
I enquired about the warranty of these brake pads, it is extended to us till about the general warranty of the car lasts. In case one takes extended warranty, break pads and discs are not included. As such, dealership it seems, are offered a warranty on the discs for 10K kms or 1 year which ever is earlier.
What is the warranty of the factory fitted brake pads and discs? If it is till the general car warranty lasts then your's would fall under warranty right? Can you please elaborate on the same.

PS: If you go to Galaxy Toyota again try contacting SA by the name of Manpreet. I always deal with him whenever I give my Innova or Altis for service and have found him to be reasonable so far.

Edit: Are only the rear brake pads more prone to wear and tear in the Altis? I have read about this issue being faced by a lot of members. It would be great if you guys can tell us if the issue is with all the 4 or limited to only the rear ones?

Last edited by drmohitg : 18th December 2012 at 13:54.
Old 18th December 2012, 13:54   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Neither a RWD should have faster wear of rear discs pads and rotors.
Abrasive foreign material increasing the wear of discs pads and rotors.
Thanks.
But does RWD not have rear bias on brakes?
And how will foreign material affect only the rear brakes?

I also asked if it could be a handbrake related issue...
Old 18th December 2012, 14:56   #159
Senior - BHPian

This is strange and to me sounds like a defect in the Altis. To give people an idea my 2005 Honda City got its first set of break pad changes at 65k kms. The next replacement, which needed the discs to be changed as well because of an uneven wear issue caused by a bent wheel hub happened at about 120-130k. My wife's AT Santro has its pads replaced every 25k kms.
My point is a manual sedan which isn't a rocket should not need brake-pad replacements so fast.
Old 18th December 2012, 16:46   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
=======It would be great if you guys can tell us if the issue is with all the 4 or limited to only the rear ones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thanks.
But does RWD not have rear bias on brakes?
And how will foreign material affect only the rear brakes?

I also asked if it could be a handbrake related issue...
no saar, after your initial query, did check out that angle too, no problem with the hand brake. The front disc and pads are as good as new, this was the feed back from A.S.S.
Old 18th December 2012, 17:36   #161
BHPian

Quote:
=========It would be great if you guys can tell us if the issue is with all the 4 or limited to only the rear ones?
No, mohit saab, i haven't yet written to toyota. Wanted to be sure before i take the matter up with them. But, of what i see in the forum, looks like a mail would not be a bad idea after all.

The standard warranty criteria offered by toyota on disc and pads are, 10k or 6 months which ever is earlier. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've done my 2nd free service of 20K with manpreet, it was during that service only that they pointed out the pad problem to me.
Old 18th December 2012, 19:09   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
no saar, after your initial query, did check out that angle too, no problem with the hand brake. The front disc and pads are as good as new, this was the feed back from A.S.S.

This this is simply unacceptable.
If front ones are intact and rear ones are gone.
Please ask them to change the rear ones for free and more importantly find the root cause. Please send a STRONG mail to Toyota. It does not matter whether other customers have been accepting this or not.
Old 18th April 2013, 14:01   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I recently took the car for brake pad change and skimming after driving it around for 3000 km, and to my horror, was told that the discs also need to be changed.

Discs to be changed after 23000 kms. is new to me, even break pads wearing off after 23000 kms is also not natural. 30000 - 35000 kms., acceptable.
Finally time for the much dreaded update:

Got my car serviced today. The odo stands at 19.8k kms. The general service went well and costed me a total of 3.9k. The things included were:
1. Engine oil
2. Oil gasket
3. Oil filter
4. Fuel filter
5. Windshield washer fluid.
And a couple of other minor things.

The SA told me later that the rear brake pads have thinned out and currently stand at 4mm. Also mentioned that the disc too has got some lines on it. Both will work fine for now but would need replacement at next service at 30k or may be before that if there is some issue with the brakes like sound or vibration. The cost would be around 15k.

What I didn't understand was if my brake pads have still life in it then how does the disc suffer damage? Also if I change brake pads prematurely now itself would it help prolong the life of the discs? The SA's answer was not possible and it would be changed together. So what should be the next plan of action?

Also bumped into member Ankit there. It was nice meeting someone from the forum finally in Vadodara which reminds me that we should have a TBHP meet in Vadodara.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 15:01   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Finally time for the much dreaded update:

Got my car serviced today. The odo stands at 19.8k kms. The general service went well and costed me a total of 3.9k. The things included were:
1. Engine oil
2. Oil gasket
3. Oil filter
4. Fuel filter
5. Windshield washer fluid.
And a couple of other minor things.

The SA told me later that the rear brake pads have thinned out and currently stand at 4mm. Also mentioned that the disc too has got some lines on it. Both will work fine for now but would need replacement at next service at 30k or may be before that if there is some issue with the brakes like sound or vibration. The cost would be around 15k.

What I didn't understand was if my brake pads have still life in it then how does the disc suffer damage? Also if I change brake pads prematurely now itself would it help prolong the life of the discs? The SA's answer was not possible and it would be changed together. So what should be the next plan of action?

Also bumped into member Ankit there. It was nice meeting someone from the forum finally in Vadodara which reminds me that we should have a TBHP meet in Vadodara.
I had my 30K service last week, upon checking, my front disc and brakes are still holding good, but my rear pads are wearing out fast and might need replacing by 40K. I had them replaced initially at 23K, these ones are wearing out even quicker. My wheels did not need any alignment or balancing. There has been no undue wear and tear in the Tyres.

You do what ever you want to do, you'll end up replacing your pads and discs in another 4K.

After this wear and tear, I've decided to go for after market fitment, and not again to Toyota service.
Old 18th April 2013, 15:07   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You do what ever you want to do, you'll end up replacing your pads and discs in another 4K.

After this wear and tear, I've decided to go for after market fitment, and not again to Toyota service.
Even my car hasn't needed any wheel balancing or alignment yet and the tyres look good. From what I have gathered from all the feedback here is exactly what you are suggesting and hence I am thinking of going for the aftermarket option for this change too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks