Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 19:14   #346
Team-BHP Support

re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012 EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Please accept my regrets. I assumed - wrongly, as it turns out - that they came home to tint the car. I've heard of this being done in Bangalore, allegedly with Vkool film.

To each his own, in any case.
Well I did actually have that done once too, and its original Vkool that was sure. I am 100% sure of that. But what happened is after the sunfilm ban, this chaps business got hit badly, and now his good installers have left and he is left with a crappy installer. So even going to the dealer won't make a difference.

Anyway installed the so called can-bus xenons and there was still an error. Have returned the xenons for now, also read that using can-bus xenons can damage the BCM in the long run and that we should use normal HID kits and code through Vag-com. Either way I'm going to do my research and get back to you guys with a solution.
Old 20th March 2013, 20:11   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Anyway installed the so called can-bus xenons and there was still an error. Have returned the xenons for now, also read that using can-bus xenons can damage the BCM in the long run and that we should use normal HID kits and code through Vag-com. Either way I'm going to do my research and get back to you guys with a solution.
VAG Tune has the original projector headlamp HID kit for the Yeti. Its expensive at 110k.
Old 20th March 2013, 23:10   #348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
VAG Tune has the original projector headlamp HID kit for the Yeti. Its expensive at 110k.
That's a little bit too expensive for me Anyway shall figure something out tomorrow.
Old 21st March 2013, 12:02   #349
BHPian

Has any of you gentlemen that owns a Yeti taken it soft-roading? I don't mean intentionally, but say, when you went to a hilly resort and needed to use its 4x4 features. If you did, how did it perform?

In his official review, Rehaan says
Quote:
The only issue that raised its ugly head once again was the lack of extreme low-end torque (and no low-ratio box) – meaning a lot of clutch slipping in a few demanding situations. That raw-egg smell? It’s the sign of an overworked clutch. Stay within its limits and it will take you where a sedan or MUV never could, but don’t think that it can do everything a 4x4 SUV can.
gubbi555 says he had to slip the clutch a lot on his XUV AWD as well.

My need is not for hard-core off-roading, but I do need the 4x4 (ideally with at least rear difflocks) to handle vacations in off-beat places.

Would appreciate your comments / advice! Thanks.
Old 21st March 2013, 14:08   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Has any of you gentlemen that owns a Yeti taken it soft-roading? I don't mean intentionally, but say, when you went to a hilly resort and needed to use its 4x4 features. If you did, how did it perform?

In his official review, Rehaan says gubbi555 says he had to slip the clutch a lot on his XUV AWD as well.

My need is not for hard-core off-roading, but I do need the 4x4 (ideally with at least rear difflocks) to handle vacations in off-beat places.

Hi,
I have taken my Yeti a few times for a little Soft roading to villages and sandy areas. It normally does not face any challenge and is able to sail through automatically. Only condition where I find the Yeti lacking is Ground Clearance and lack of good AT tyres. Otherwise the Yeti's 4x4 system is able to cope with most terrains well - slush, sand, gravel. It is also able to climb decently up in first gear as it is quite a short gear, though not as much as a hard core off roader would.
On the Yeti, don't slip the clutch too much. Instead, just slot into 1st and raise a little and then release the accelerator, it will pull ahead on its own and keep going. The Hill Hold feature is also quite useful in hilly terrain and prevents the Yeti from rolling back when on an incline.

The Yeti's 4x4 system is automatic and needs no manual intervention / Diff locking - it is able to do torque transfer on its own by Haldex clutches which engage/ disengage, based on the slip detected at each wheel.

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st March 2013 at 14:09.
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:21   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post

In his official review, Rehaan says gubbi555 says he had to slip the clutch a lot on his XUV AWD as well.

The Yeti has this 'Offroad' button - pressing it turns the Yeti from a softroader to a more than reasonably competent one off the road. What it does is:

1. Limits RPM to 2,500 max.

2. Seems to run a different map on the engine with a lot more torque suddenly available low down - its the electronic equivalent of a low-gear

3. Modulates throttle response to turn it into a crawler - you can hit the throttle all you want but it will revv up lazily. Turn the button off if you need the revvs for a steep climb.

4. Turns on hill-hold control.

5. Uses the traction control to regulate torque distribution to individual wheels - it works almost like you have lockable diffs, until you lose ALL traction on a wheel at which time the system is a bit confused.

6. Host of other electronic changes that I havent actually been able to understand fully yet. For instance, I have a feeling that the ABS is turned off while offroad - at least a low speeds.

Ground clearance is also surprisingly well managed. Ive taken it on a few tough trails and havent scraped its bottom yet - even on occasions when I braced myself for it. It must be something to do with the unexpectedly long wheel travel and some clever design in the suspension layout.

Try it with a Test Drive car - you will be surprised.

PS: You will need paint protection if you go into bushes. I have some 3M product on it that works very well - a polish afterwards cleans out all the surface scratches.

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd March 2013 at 11:29.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 14:56   #352
BHPian

Thanks for the responses, Behemoth and Steeroid.

Steeroid, what kind of paint protection do you have from 3M?
Old 6th April 2013, 19:37   #353
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I am displeased with the Tyre Empire chaps They let a fool incompetent dunderheaded floot onto my LittleBigFoot for its 15000 km tyre balancing, wheel rotation and alignment and he was in a tearing hurry. Hence he did not use the ramp which he was supposed to and while jacking my car up he apparently had slightly misplaced the jack, which resulted an a cracking sound and a small piece of my underbody cladding being broken off. Of course I gave them absolute hell for 30 minutes, but in the end, its my problem, not theirs, because I own the car. However, I got the job done and went home in a lousy irritated mood. I try to keep my car as well as possible and hate it when these dunderheads cause trouble on account of negligence or being in a hurry. Nothing to be done about it. Just 'keep walking' I guess...
Old 7th April 2013, 07:58   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am displeased with the Tyre Empire chaps They let a fool incompetent dunderheaded floot onto my LittleBigFoot for its 15000 km tyre balancing,
That is a tough one. I have to go back to the service station for wheel alignment as the tyre shops say they do not have the Yet's stats. My reverse parking sensor kit is failing to switch on every time the back gear is engaged, so that needs to be looked at as well.

Perhaps Skoda could mark the jacking spot with a different colour. With the narrow jacks we have the only option is to go down on one knee in the mud and dust to ensure you have the right spot.
Old 7th April 2013, 09:21   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am displeased with the Tyre Empire chaps They let a fool incompetent dunderheaded floot onto my LittleBigFoot ...

I wish the Yeti wasnt a Skoda !
Old 7th April 2013, 09:49   #356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I wish the Yeti wasnt a Skoda !
Not sure I got your point. What difference it will make? The said incompetent tyre shop guys would have made the same mistake even if was called a Honda Yeti.
Old 7th April 2013, 13:11   #357
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not sure I got your point. What difference it will make? The said incompetent tyre shop guys would have made the same mistake even if was called a Honda Yeti.
I would like to make a point. It may not be the same as the OP's opinion.

Had it been a Honda Yeti, I would have had one. Similarly, many more people would have bought it(considering the actual product is unchanged).It would have been more popular.
The Tire shop would have had the stats and the experience of handling the car correctly.

just my thought
Old 7th April 2013, 13:29   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

I would like to make a point. It may not be the same as the OP's opinion.

Had it been a Honda Yeti, I would have had one. Similarly, many more people would have bought it(considering the actual product is unchanged).It would have been more popular.
The Tire shop would have had the stats and the experience of handling the car correctly.

just my thought
Had it been a Honda Yeti it would have been a petrol with just about acceptable quality of interiors and overpriced beyond reason. Yet people would have bought it. These Indians are crazy!:-o
Old 7th April 2013, 14:29   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Had it been a Honda Yeti, I .., many more people would have bought it (considering the actual product is unchanged).

.. we would not have had those Skoda-esque horror stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishik View Post
Had it been a Honda Yeti it would have been a petrol with just about acceptable quality of interiors and overpriced beyond reason. Yet people would have bought it. These Indians are crazy!:-o

Eggzaktley ! Especially the over-pricing. It is already 15L ex-showroom in BLR. You could expect it to cross 18L ex-showroom !

Last edited by condor : 7th April 2013 at 14:30.
Old 7th April 2013, 16:21   #360
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I think there is too much ado on this forum being made about Toyota and Honda and a clear visible negative bias against Skoda. This is extremely apparent and I ve been watching a long time to be able to say it with impunity.

I for one don't think that Skoda deserves quite this much negativity. I ve had a good experience so far with the vehicle and the dealer as well as the service centre. Also, my problem of yesterday, just to clarify, was with Tyre Empire and not with Skoda.

So lets just throttle back a bit and take it easy...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th April 2013 at 16:26.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks