Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2013, 09:20   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012 EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Philips makes can bus compliant xenons so no bulb error will show. Also the wiring to the bulb will be totally separate, and I know the service guys so they won't act stupid about the warranty.

Well with CR70 no cop will be able to make out there is film unless they put their hand on your window and feel the edge, which anyway won't happen since they won't be able to notice film.
Regarding CR70, I have them all around in my Yeti. And though most of the time, it is almost unnoticeable, when you have parked it on hot sun, the film tends to become a bit darker/bluish and it is more apparent when you are close to the car. Cops often get confused when they see my car on the checkpoints or corners, they will starred a bit, but before they could make up their mind, I am already gone. And my yeti is blue and the CR70 is a bit bluish, thereby making the tint appear natural/OEM. However, I have been stopped twice on the red lights by cops, and they instructed to lower the driver/passenger glasses. But then, the films were installed without edge margin and when they were unable to ascertain it. So, they let me go. I never utter a word, except saying, it is a new vehicle and everything is stock. It has been sheer luck, but I am nervous someday, I'll be caught. I had spent 22K for CR70, expensive and hence, didn't have the heart to tear them off. But now I am contemplating removing the sides glasses at least, so that I don't land in troubles especially when travelling on long journeys.

Last edited by iTNerd : 19th March 2013 at 09:21.
Old 19th March 2013, 11:00   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Regarding CR70, I have them all around in my Yeti. And though most of the time, it is almost unnoticeable, when you have parked it on hot sun, the film tends to become a bit darker/bluish and it is more apparent when you are close to the car.
I had CR 70 for the front and CR 50 for the sides on my Laura. I thought I'd keep sun films on till the cops pull me up for it. Luckily the cops never caught me for almost 6 months after the ruling. Then as luck would have it, my windshield got cracked by a flying pebble on the highway. So I lost the CR 70 from the front. I drove around for a month without the CR 70 and the difference was striking. The suns rays would just burn my forearms whenever I faced the sun. So i decided to get the CR 70 for the front again. By this time the checking in Bangalore had intensified, so I decided to pull out the CR 50s from the sides as well.

3M now sells CR 90 as well, which are even more transparent than the CR70s. There is no way one can make out that films are installed by looking at it. Heat rejection is almost as good as CR 70. I've now got CR 70 for the front and CR 90 for the other glasses. 3M guys now remove the 3M watermark too, to conceal the films .
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 11:50   #333
BHPian

Hi Guys,

not a so god day for me. Had the first dent on my snow monster today. Was parking in reverse and failed to spot an exhaust overhang protruding too low. The rear overhead brake lights had a kiss with the exhaust and got a slight dent, no color peeled off tough. Need to check with the SC on what can be done to restore the beast back to its glory. I, for one, do not like any dents/scratches on my beast and hate to see it this way. Will upload a pic shortly and ask experts for an opinion on how to get it fixed.

Thanks,
Sid
Old 19th March 2013, 16:04   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Akshay,

The creaking sound from the doors comes from the V-shaped door seal on the top side of the door, where they touch the body. When the body is waxed/ polished, this sound becomes quite loud. I had experimented with quite a few methods for this, with varying degrees of effect:

1) Applying olive oil to the rubber beadings - 3-4 weeks effect
2) Applying Silicone grease (small quantity) - 3-4 months
3) Best - Applying Teflon lubricant (I got it from firefox bikes shop) - 6 months + effect.

Skoda also uses a 3M Window Lubricant spray on these beadings to cure this when users complain of this sound - I had also tried this, and it lasts for 2-3 months.
I use 3) now, and just reapply when the car has been pressure washed and waxed again.
This completely eliminates the creaking sounds.

A word of caution: Don't use any mineral oils / Normal Grease on these rubber seals, as it can damage the rubber.
So I went to the dealer and they put some spray on the locks, and some solution on the beadings. The sound is less now, but still there slightly. Should they be putting it on the window beadings too? Because they only put it on the door beadings.

Either way I'm thinking of ordering one of these and just doing it myself, which one should I order any suggestions?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/ABRO-Silicon-...item2a2ab90e05
http://www.ebay.in/itm/ABRO-Spray-Lu...item20d0756f51

The second one is with teflon, but it seems to be more for use on metal parts.
Old 19th March 2013, 16:24   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Because they only put it on the door beadings.

Either way I'm thinking of ordering one of these and just doing it myself, which one should I order any suggestions?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/ABRO-Silicon-...item2a2ab90e05
http://www.ebay.in/itm/ABRO-Spray-Lu...item20d0756f51

The second one is with teflon, but it seems to be more for use on metal parts.
Yes, it is good to also put on window beadings and seals too, it will help keep the glass movement smooth. Do try the pressure test on the doors like I suggested to check whether the problem has been cured. In case it is still there, spray the lubricant on the top door seal (V-type) where it makes contact with the body.

From the Abro products, better to go with the Silicone spray as that is specifically for rubber, while the other one is specific for Metals and could be corrosive to rubber.

Last edited by Behemoth : 19th March 2013 at 16:26.
Old 19th March 2013, 16:26   #336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes, it is good to also put on window beadings and seals too, it will help keep the glass movement smooth. Do try the pressure test on the doors like I suggested to check whether the problem has been cured. In case it is still there, spray the lubricant on the the top door seal (V-type) where it makes contact with the body.

From the Abro products, better to go with the Silicone spray as that is specifically for rubber, while the other one is specific for Metals and could be corrosive to rubber.
A slight creaking noise is still there when the glass is pressed from outside. Anyway have ordered the silicon spray and will update once I spray it.
Old 19th March 2013, 20:58   #337
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Thanks guys, going to take it to the service station sometime today or tomorrow and get it sorted out. The good thing is the service centre is literally a minute away from my house, so I can easily go there for these small issues.

Next up on the car in a week or 2 is 3M CR70 all around, and Philips 4300k xenons for the headlights.

And Shankar, sorry for taking over your thread.
No worries mate. This thread became a happy general hangout for some of us Yetipeople a long time back. Good that many generic issues keep getting discussed here.
Cheers...
Old 20th March 2013, 14:52   #338
BHPian

Hi,

Upgraded the headlight bulbs to Osram Night breakers and I must say, there is a substantial difference.

Thanks,
Sidhartha
Old 20th March 2013, 15:08   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Regarding CR70, I have them all around in my Yeti. And though most of the time, it is almost unnoticeable, when you have parked it on hot sun, the film tends to become a bit darker/bluish and it is more apparent when you are close to the car...... But now I am contemplating removing the sides glasses at least, so that I don't land in troubles especially when travelling on long journeys.
Is there a noticeable difference with CR70 all around? I always thought they are a bit too light to actually have the heat rejection claimed. Do let me know, since I will get them fit then. Don't remove yours, you have spent so much and the summer is just coming up now.

Also getting 4300k Philips HIDs put today, will update how the experience is.
Old 20th March 2013, 18:11   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a noticeable difference with CR70 all around? I always thought they are a bit too light to actually have the heat rejection claimed.
Suggest a film that is rated for a good amount of heat rejection. For a good film, VLT will be independent of heat rejection, and hence VLT-70 film can still be good for this purpose.

The heat rejection makes a difference. Go for it.
Old 20th March 2013, 18:29   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a noticeable difference with CR70 all around?
I have CR70 on the Yeti. Not a patch on the Vkools I had on my earlier cars, so will be getting rid of the CR70 soon - back to Vkool.
Old 20th March 2013, 18:31   #342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I have CR70 on the Yeti. Not a patch on the Vkools I had on my earlier cars, so will be getting rid of the CR70 soon - back to Vkool.
Do you mean V70? If so that is a good film, but the issue is I've had a bad experience lately with my Vkool dealer when it comes to film installation which I had done at my residence. Anyway do update.
Old 20th March 2013, 18:34   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean V70? If so that is a good film, but the issue is I've had a bad experience lately with my Vkool dealer when it comes to film installation which I had done at my residence. Anyway do update.
VK 70, not V70. No other film comes close to it in heat rejection, 3M or otherwise.

Vkool does not normally allow installation outside their facilities, unless its at a dealership. If you had it installed elsewhere, it is probably (I could be wrong) not original.
Old 20th March 2013, 18:46   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
VK 70, not V70. No other film comes close to it in heat rejection, 3M or otherwise.

Vkool does not normally allow installation outside their facilities, unless its at a dealership. If you had it installed elsewhere, it is probably (I could be wrong) not original.
Well I couldn't take the windows from my house to their dealership right?

Naah but it is original. Its just that I've used Vkool on a couple of cars till now, and I've found that the darker films seem to block out more heat than Vk70 even though Vk70s heat rejection is supposed to be higher than those darker films.
Old 20th March 2013, 18:57   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I couldn't take the windows from my house to their dealership right?
Please accept my regrets. I assumed - wrongly, as it turns out - that they came home to tint the car. I've heard of this being done in Bangalore, allegedly with Vkool film.

To each his own, in any case.

Last edited by Steeroid : 20th March 2013 at 18:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks