Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:55   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012 EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Quick query. Now that I have had the first scratchy ding on my Yeti.

I have crossed 10k kms.
The vehicle is 10 months old.

It will be due for its first annual servicing towards the end of November which is about 55 days from now. At the maximum in this 55 days, I will end up doing another 2000 to 2500 kms or so of driving.

Should I chuck the schedule to the winds and just get it serviced now at 10000? Or should I wait and get it serviced in Mid November?
In this next 30 odd days, I have two pre planned mid size trips coming up one to Coorg for a wedding and another to Ooty to meet some pals.

Would it be better that I service the vehicle now or after these trips?

Short, sweet and Yes or No type answers would be preferred please.
Thanks
SB
Answer: Service after the trips.

Check the usual fluid levels before the trip and complete the trip. I have always given the vehicle for service after my major trips. I check the usual stuff and go to the trip.
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:25   #182
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Thank you Gentlemen!

Yes I shall adhere to your advice and give it in for its routine service after another month and a half or so.
Might as well get closer to the 15K or 1year whichever is earlier.
Will get the scratchy ding on the left rear flank also attended to at that time.
Till then shall just polish off the surface scratches myself or at 3M.

Shall put this first scratch which has happened now after ten months - down to 'Dhrishti' or 'Nazar'.

And Robin - thanks for your inputs. My Yeti was checked up at 7500 kms and all was well. Just two days ago I got the tyres rotated and balanced and aligned etc at 10k kms.
Else all is as per normal!

Cheers!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd October 2012 at 08:27.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:54   #183
BANNED

Apologies for back to back posting but I saw fit to take the Yeti to 3M just now for a complete clean up job inside and outside.

Also asked them to help with the scratch removal process using their special rubbing compound.

They have done a great job and the scratch is all but invisible now except for the places where it has deeply scored into the paint itself. Also there is nothing I can do about the scratch marks on the fibre bumper. There is also a visible lateral scar inside the car on the fibre reinforced portion of the rear door. Probably caused by my golf bag or umbrella or trolley or something rubbing against it.

If I could get a hold of some of that fibre reconstructing compound which Edd the mechanic uses in Wheeler Dealers, I guess I could attempt a repair job to smoothen the surface a bit. Else shall have to ask the service fellows what is to be done for this in particular.
Old 20th October 2012, 16:33   #184
vij
BHPian

I have been trying to purchase a used yeti as a used car has 'certain' obvious advantages.

I tried striking a deal for the 1 year old 4x2 Ambient for 13.25L few months back - even paid 1L advance - but then the dealer backed out stating ridiculous reasons. Sure he sold it to someone else.

Anyways, now I have been presented with a new offer. After a lot of negotiations, the price has been set at 16.7L for a 7k kms driven and 5 month old scratchless(apart from hairline ones near the back wheel arc) 4x4 Skoda Yeti Elegance. Good deal? What do you think

Last edited by vij : 20th October 2012 at 16:54.
Old 20th October 2012, 16:44   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
After a lot of negotiations, the price has been set at 16.7L for a 7k kms driven and 5 month old scratchless(apart from hairline ones near the back wheel arc) 4x4 Skoda Yeti Elegance. Good deal? What do you think
Vij, first thing to check is how much does it come to OTR for a new Yeti with same configuration today. Account for discounts ongoing in your city. If the price is 20-25% below the current discounted price on new then it's even worth considering. Remember prices of Yeti have gone up by almost 1-1.5L for each model in last 6-9 months. So if possible ask to see original invoice from the seller. Idea is to get to a win/win situation for both of you.

Do you know the buyer in person? Any idea why is he/she selling it? This is not only with Yeti but I would check on this while buying any used car.

Right off the bat, the price seems pretty high...
samyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 16:51   #186
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
Vij, first thing to check is how much does it come to OTR for a new Yeti with same configuration today. Account for discounts ongoing in your city. If the price is 20-25% below the current discounted price on new then it's even worth considering. Remember prices of Yeti have gone up by almost 1-1.5L for each model in last 6-9 months. So if possible ask to see original invoice from the seller. Idea is to get to a win/win situation for both of you.

Do you know the buyer in person? Any idea why is he/she selling it? This is not only with Yeti but I would check on this while buying any used car.

Right off the bat, the price seems pretty high...
Thanks Samy!

I have been speaking to the dealer and he says the car is being sold as the owner is going abroad. I know its a popular answer. Anyways the car looks new and drives well. It was bought in May 2012 and only done 7k.

Price of new is 21.36 OTR - There was a 2L discount till last month which would have made it 19.36 OTR in hyd. Now the discount is around 1.6L I think. The discounts may be back year end perhaps.

Lets consider new one to be about 19.20L - You think 16.7L is high ? Ofcourse, the lower the better for me

Last edited by vij : 20th October 2012 at 17:03.
Old 20th October 2012, 17:20   #187
BHPian

Quote:
You think 16.7L is high ?
Very true.. Going overseas is the most used reason to sell car soon after the purchase. Here's how I would approach it.

- Let's face it, there are always 2L discounts on top variant. Some time dealer is quick to agree to it some times not. I got 1.6L on Ambition 4x2 2012 model and I think I did a shoddy job.

- Today's best case OTR is 19.36 which is 2L lower than initial price.

- Price of top variant is gone up by at least 75K in last 6 months ( that's since he must have booked it ). Hence he must have paid @ 18.61L for it.

- Current offer price is at 16.7L which is discounted by 10.2% on his base price.

I personally feel you deserve better discount. If not 20-25% at least 15% on his original paid price. That puts it at 15.81L.

All the best to you Vij.
Old 20th October 2012, 20:05   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij
I have been trying to purchase a used yeti as a used car has 'certain' obvious advantages.

I tried striking a deal for the 1 year old 4x2 Ambient for 13.25L few months back - even paid 1L advance - but then the dealer backed out stating ridiculous reasons. Sure he sold it to someone else.

Anyways, now I have been presented with a new offer. After a lot of negotiations, the price has been set at 16.7L for a 7k kms driven and 5 month old scratchless(apart from hairline ones near the back wheel arc) 4x4 Skoda Yeti Elegance. Good deal? What do you think
Certainly very well worth buying at 16 flat. Push goes to shove 16.25. Still very well worth it!
Give him a firm offer by landing up with your cheque book.
Nothing talks like cash...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 20:07   #189
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Certainly very well worth buying at 16 flat. Push goes to shove 16.25. Still very well worth it!
Give him a firm offer by landing up with your cheque book.
Nothing talks like cash...
Ok... Will give an ultimatum of 16.2L and sit back.
Old 21st October 2012, 20:25   #190
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij

Ok... Will give an ultimatum of 16.2L and sit back.
Do that. I still think it is worth it mind you....
Old 21st October 2012, 20:35   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Do that. I still think it is worth it mind you....
Shankar's original price of 16L was perfect! But for love of car 20K more is well spent money. Go for it!
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:12   #192
vij
BHPian

A lot of people in the family are not so fond of the Yeti - Spoke to my uncle who is settled in Canada recently.

Uncle: I cant believe you still drive that thing(I drive the logan).
Me: Yep, even I cant believe it
Uncle: So?
Me: I am keen on the Yeti
Uncle: Cmon, that looks like a car I used to see in the 90s
Me: Its quirky, but nice. What character!
Uncle: Its not good looking
Me: Its not pretty, but its smart - and when I think of it - its actually good looking. It turns my head everytime I see one on the road and it does seem to interest others too.
Uncle: Thats because it looks funny. You should look at the Q3
Me: Ya right
Uncle: Yes, right!
Me: People like me dont drive around in Q3
Uncle: ?
Me: This is India, not Canada The rich drive the Q3 and the smart ones drive the Yeti

Anyways, that dealer is not budging below 16.5L(offered 16L) for now - I am waiting this out. Lets see. Also wonder what the year end discounts will be. Will be interesting. And that face-lift better not come before a year lol. Its going to be subtle, that facelift I guess...

Last edited by vij : 22nd October 2012 at 10:28.
Old 23rd October 2012, 13:23   #193
vij
BHPian

He has agreed for 16L Will do another final inspection in proper daylight tom morning before closing the deal. Its actually June invoiced vehicle
vij is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:09   #194
BANNED

Quote:
He has agreed for 16L Will do another final inspection in proper daylight tom morning before closing the deal. Its actually June invoiced vehicle
Am very happy for you. Go ahead and buy it. It is simply the best vehicle available in India, across segments and types, at this price point, as of this moment. Good luck and enjoy your Yeti!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:54   #195
BHPian

What a vehicle and what a thread...!! Congrats to all those driving the Yeti and you guys have certainly put the bug in my head..!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks