Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 20:18   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan

I am basically a lazy, chilled out sort of driver who enjoys cruising at about 90 to 100 while listening to some excellent Jazz or something of the kind. Once in a way on a super open stretch I might send it up a bit, but I mostly drive around 40 to 70 in the hills and 90 to 110 on the plains highways..
Fantastic FE. So 120kmph would see the FE take a slight dip to 16 I guess.
Thank you again.
Old 9th September 2012, 20:35   #167
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

Fantastic FE. So 120kmph would see the FE take a slight dip to 16 I guess.
Thank you again.
Possibly.
I feel that 120 and above can only be done for short bursts because of the general condition of our country's roads and behaviour of fellow motorists.
I generally don't stress on speed. 90 to 110 is a good cruising speed in these modern cars. Economical too it seems! However, this level of FE according to me is more by accident than actual design and planning. Indeed the whole trip itself was a spur of the moment one!
Old 9th September 2012, 22:01   #168
BHPian

re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012 EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
However, this level of FE according to me is more by accident than actual design and planning. Indeed the whole trip itself was a spur of the moment one!
Can't agree more with you on that.

In city my Yeti consistently delivers a FE between 15-16 kmpl. But one morning while driving to work, probably while she was in the best of spirits, she returned a whopping 18 kmpl that too during peak hour traffic. The picture attached is a snapshot of the mileage and the vehicle density at the time this was recorded.

It was not that I was driving her very differently that morning. But was it because of other environmental reasons? I cant say. Does she have a mind of her own? Only she can tell ...
Attached Thumbnails
The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012 EDIT: Sold!-city_mileage.jpg  

Old 10th September 2012, 06:56   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonhead
Hi Shankar - My yeti has hit the 15k mark and i will be going in for my first service this weekend. It has been a dream owning this car and hindsight makes me an incredibly proud owner so far - not a single hitch, issue or trouble she has given me despite the extensive travel with many a bad patch and rain along the way. I seem to have inspired a new found respect amongst my car friends even!!

I did not do the 7.5k check up based on general feedback. I have chosen Vinayak based on your feedback over TAFE. I have been qouted around Rs 8,500 over the phone by the lady who booked my appointment as the standard rate. Just wanted to check if you have completed yours? Is around a 9k bill to be expected (without any other hitches/ problems identified)? Also can you please tell me if there is anyone at KR Puram service station that i should speak to while handing over for service?

Can other owners please comment too?

Thank you all for your time.
Sorry for the late reply. Yes I believe around a 9K bill is to be expected overall.
At the service centre in KR Puram you can contact Mr Aiyanna, their GM. He is a helpful gent.
I have just finished 9 months and 9000 odd kms so I shall only be giving my Yeti for the first service in November or so.
Old 17th September 2012, 11:54   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Around 4800 for 4 liters engine oil (Castrol Magnatec)
Around 1200 for Air, Oil and Pollen filters (total)
+ Labour + Service tax (12.5%)
Should land up total around 8K for these. If you take any additional items, like 3M Interior cleaning/ Polishing they are extra.

Regards,
Behemoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonhead View Post
Hi Shankar - My yeti has hit the 15k mark and i will be going in for my first service this weekend. It has been a dream owning this car and hindsight makes me an incredibly
Can other owners please comment too?

Thank you all for your time.
Hi Demonhead guess you must have done your service by now. I got the service done on Saturday.
Paid 5219 for 4.5 lts of Shell Helix, 337 for an oil filter, and 90 for some windsheild fluid. The SA who told me 6300 was on leave. The guy who took the car stressed on a lot of misc jobs incl Alignment & balancing. I only opted for the last but forgot to ask him what the price would be. Stupid of me cos I thought it wouldn't be much more than outside. The Workshop rate of 1500 is a bit too steep. But anyway total was 8040 with taxes.

Hi Behemoth, The morning I delivered the vehicle a Technical personnel of the workshop mentioned diesel, Air and pollen filter needed to be changed too. Got me thinking and saw on their board that all skoda vehicles needed this change at 15k too. But the SA who took the car said that Skoda has changed to doing the other 3 filters at 30 K. Later I asked him the cost of pollen and air filter and he mentioned 750 each. Diesel he said was more but I can't remember if it was 1250 or 1500.

The other thing they will tell you at 30 K is brake pads and DISK'S. I think one has to be wise here and not agree for disks unless they are worn deep. Heck I have a friend who runs a machine shop and he's got a special machine on which he can face even the large Beemer brake disk's both sides at one go and no uneven job, like in a lathe. This disk business was told to me by the SA who took the car. it shook me up a bit but I spoke to another guy in th evening also from the workshop who said it's not necessary and it depend s if the customer agrees. They have weird jobs to make money, one of it was waxing the engine.
Old 17th September 2012, 12:12   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
diesel, Air and pollen filter needed to be changed too.
The other thing they will tell you at 30 K is brake pads and DISK'S.
Hi deutscheafrikar,

Yes, air filter and pollen filter you should definitely get changed every 15k Kms. The Fuel filter normally does not need changing at 15k and should be changed at 30K Kms. Unless there is a known bad fuel/ water in fuel problem, I don't see any reason why they should be changing this!

Brake pads and disks at 30K is outrageous! With normal driving and no rapid braking, brake pads normally last 40-50K kms and should not changing. After 30K Kms they normally check the condition, but only if it is worn due to aggressive driving, they should change. Brake disks should not require any replacement at all , even till 100K kms, especially if the brake pads have been replaced regularly between 40k-50k kms. The only event in which the brake disks get damaged is if the brake pads become completely worn and start scratching the disks.
Seems like your local Skoda workshop is trying to play smart - give them a piece of your mind and drop a mail to Skoda customer service head, and they will fall back in line.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 17th September 2012, 12:35   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi deutscheafrikar,

Yes, air filter and pollen filter you should definitely get changed every 15k Kms. The Fuel filter normally does not need changing at 15k and should be changed at 30K Kms. Brake disks should not require any replacement at all , even till 100K kms, especially if the brake pads have been replaced regularly between 40k-50k kms. The only event in which the brake disks get damaged is if the brake pads become completely worn and start scratching the disks.
Seems like your local Skoda workshop is trying to play smart - give them a piece of your mind and drop a mail to Skoda customer service head, and they will fall back in line.

Regards,
Behemoth
Hi Behemoth
Don't know but Air and pollen filter is now inspected and cleaned at 15k as per new skoda directive.
Absolutely correct check the pads at the service and change if worn too much. And change disks only if the pads have worn down to base metal and were still used, and made grooves on the disks. This is all a money making racket and they will fleece people who are gullible. Magnum front disks didn't need changing until it was sold at 94 K. Had no grooves. Rear ones got spoilt cos the rear calipers had a problem of seizing due to rust and dirt. And it happened once on the highway and the grooves were too deep. But I could have got it faced outside.
Strange thing is, I noticedafter the service I noticed that the digital odometer reading changes to Speed in MPH as soon as the Yeti starts moving forward. It goes back to Total KM when the vehicle stops. This never happened before and i guess they played around with some settings.
Regards
Old 17th September 2012, 20:42   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. Yes I believe around a 9K bill is to be expected overall.
At the service centre in KR Puram you can contact Mr Aiyanna, their GM. He is a helpful gent.
I have just finished 9 months and 9000 odd kms so I shall only be giving my Yeti for the first service in November or so.
Thanks Shankar and everyone.

I got my first 15k service done for a total bill of Rs 9,216. Details are:

Air/ Dust & Pollen filters - Rs 707 + 447
Filter element with - Rs 333 + 995 (added twice to the above 2 respectively and have no idea)
Miscellaneous - Rs 354

Castrol Magnatec Pro (4.33 liters) - Rs 3555

Summer WAS - Rs 189 (i guess this is washing)

TOTAL (with 14% VAT) = 7530

I also tried the interior 3M treatment (don't believe it was 3M though) which wasn't great in my opinion for Rs 1500. I think its better to get it done at 3M joints. Hence overall around 9k.

Otherwise overall not overtly happy - Dropped in at 9am sharp after booking appointment 2 days ahead and was asked to return at 5pm and made me wait till 530ish. No one seems to be in any great hurry at this place. Many obvious cleaning areas missed that i had to stand and point out and further delays getting it wiped/ cleaned. The service advisor didn't seem too knowledgable and even questions around cost of oil had to be looked up a computer and way too slow. They were insisting on alignment & balancing despite me vehemently saying i'm not interested. The advisor turns to his superior incredulously and says "he doesn't want alignment & balancing" as if i was insane! I made him spell it out on the job sheet that i didn't need it! I did the rotation and alignment balancing around 10k at Madhu's and will go back to them soon.

In summary i recommend the basic filters and oil change for around 7k.Rest all to be done elsewhere privately. For that price and the next interval at 30k + the consistent mileage of around 17kmpl + fabulous driving experience so far - i must say i am quietly pleased at the leap of faith and high investment on my beloved yeti. One of the best decisions of my life, almost standing head to head with the choice of my wife (here comes the flying heel!!)
Old 18th September 2012, 21:31   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonhead View Post
Thanks Shankar and everyone.

I got my first 15k service done for a total bill of Rs 9,216. Details are:

Air/ Dust & Pollen filters - Rs 707 + 447
Filter element with - Rs 333 + 995 (added twice to the above 2 respectively and have no idea)
Miscellaneous - Rs 354

Castrol Magnatec Pro (4.33 liters) - Rs 3555

Summer WAS - Rs 189 (i guess this is washing)

TOTAL (with 14% VAT) = 7530
They charge for 4 filters on a regular service - Air, pollen, fuel and engine oil.
Description of one is missing, charged under different name

Summer WAS I think is wiper wash concentrate. A scam of sort if you ask me. Car wash is free in you are getting the complete service.

The Brake discs is another crap service centers are using these days, even Vinayak.
If there is no problem with the car then one should stick to the basic services. See my bill for Fabia from 2 months ago http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2893976

Who was the advisor? I am going this weekend for my Fabia AC gas top up.

Last edited by fi.robin : 18th September 2012 at 21:43.
Old 18th September 2012, 21:59   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
Who was the advisor? I am going this weekend for my Fabia AC gas top up.
Shivprasad was his name. He is a nice chap but don't think he knows much technically..
Old 1st October 2012, 08:34   #176
BANNED

So this morning was my first minor ding on the Yeti. Ten full months into ownership without a single incident. Touch wood. I guess this is as much as one can expect in this country.

Coming back from dropping my wife at the Volvo I was nearing my home when a school bus which was in front braked to stop. So did I.
Behind me an auto lost control because his brakes failed and banged and scratched my Yeti on its rear left flank.
No doubt these look pretty minor overall but still the great irritation and pain is there.
Especially when the miserable, low life auto driver brethren surrounding me said Saar Brake Fail Saar. What to do Saar.

Yes, what to do alright? Nothing at all. Just swallow the bitter pill and go, instead of talking to a miserable low life and arguing on a Monday morning!
Anyway the vehicle has to go for its first annual servicing soon so I shall get this attended to at the time.
Losses will only hit guys like us in this way. Never the perpetrator of the crime! That is the justice scenario in this blasted place in which we live.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st October 2012 at 08:49.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:01   #177
BANNED

Quick query. Now that I have had the first scratchy ding on my Yeti.

I have crossed 10k kms.
The vehicle is 10 months old.

It will be due for its first annual servicing towards the end of November which is about 55 days from now. At the maximum in this 55 days, I will end up doing another 2000 to 2500 kms or so of driving.

Should I chuck the schedule to the winds and just get it serviced now at 10000? Or should I wait and get it serviced in Mid November?
In this next 30 odd days, I have two pre planned mid size trips coming up one to Coorg for a wedding and another to Ooty to meet some pals.

Would it be better that I service the vehicle now or after these trips?

Short, sweet and Yes or No type answers would be preferred please.
Thanks
SB
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:04   #178
BHPian

Quote:

I have crossed 10k kms.

It will be due for its first annual servicing towards the end of November which is about 55 days from now. At the maximum in this 55 days, I will end up doing another 2000 to 2500 kms or so of driving.

Should I chuck the schedule to the winds and just get it serviced now at 10000? Or should I wait and get it serviced in Mid November?
In this next 30 odd days, I have two pre planned mid size trips coming up one to Coorg for a wedding and another to Ooty to meet some pals.

Would it be better that I service the vehicle now or after these trips?

Thanks
SB
do the service after 55 days or mid november. else your Oil which is still quite fresh will be replaced and if before the next schedule you do 20K kms, the engine could take a bad hit
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:15   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan

I have crossed 10k kms.

Thanks
SB
Keep to the schedule. Other things needing change replacement will get looked at as per the planned schedule. This is what the service manager told me when something similar happened to my swift.
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:37   #180
BHPian

I am sorry this is not a yes/no answer. Gurus here recommend early first service but you may debate. If you go for service now then also it will be a full service. Your next scheduled service will then be at 15k kms after this and not 20k.

If you go for the service now make sure you have driven enough before the trips to rule out any service related surprises. It is better to have all the surprises in the city then on the trip. For example low/high engine oil level, low /high coolant level (not applicable now), some VAS settings etc. A friend of mine was stranded because the oil spewed
resulting from extra oil. His dip stick head was also spoiled.

Your trips are actually small trips and can easily be done before you reach the 15k mark. How is the engine oil consumption of the TDI? If it is decreasing then you might just change it instead of top up. If the oil is fine just do a sanity check of the engine belt for cracks, loos of groove etc and other similar things that come to your mind and you are good to go. You can have the car serviced after these trips.

Carry an Air compressor and tyre repair kit with you, at the least. You can also add jumper cables etc. Although you are going to be in population where help can easily be availed, it is good to be prepared. I know you are seasoned on these routes

If you do a lot of long trips then I would highly recommend preemptive services.

Last edited by fi.robin : 2nd October 2012 at 07:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks