Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2013, 10:10   #91
BHPian

Re: BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
@tacho9000, even I am missing those events, but outstation trips have higher priority . Will try to attend the next OTR. I am a novice in offroading and can learn a lot of things from these OTRs. But having a single vehicle for long journeys as well as OTRs is not the most prudent thing. IMHO it is better to have a dedicated offroading vehicle. Morover, this time I felt that the Bolero needs modification on the ground clearance part and also protection for some vital areas like sump and the gearbox to become a serious off-roader.
The servicing experience has been good at Royal Motors, but in recent times I have been going to Castrol Pitstop in Sector V due to convenience.
Ever since we got the Bolero we have done the following long trips, next one should be Bhutan if everything goes fine -
1. March - Kolkata-Buxa-Darjeeling-Sandakphu-Kolkata
2. April - Kolkata-Sandakphu-Phalut-Kolkata
3. May - Kolkata-Lava-Charkhole-Kolkata
4. June - Kolkata-Srinagar-Kargil-Zanskar-Leh-Pangong-Manali-Kolkata
5. September - Kolkata-Gangtok-Kolkata
6. December - Kolkata-Kaluk-Uttarey-Darjeeling-Kolkata
7. January - Kolkata-Nawalgarh-Jaisalmer-Kunmbahlgarh-Udaipur-Kolkata
8. February - Kolkata-Sillery-Aritar-Manghim-Gangtok-Kolkata
That was an arms length long list of drives you've done. You're working for CTS in Sector V I guess. We can meet up with each other on one of these days. My college is coincidentally near Sector V at Chingrihata to be precise. Would like to see you very soon. Do PM me your number if you do wish to meet a novice BHPian like me. And even I am an amateur offroader but with the kind help of UBS sir and his sons and other offroaders have been poring and learning a lot in the process. You should visit again and for the protections of those components why don't you talk with UBS sir regarding those as I'm very sure that sir will be able to get you the right contacts to get those kits at affordable prices and easy availability. By the way all of the trips you've doing seems to be missing one thing. The travelogue. When will we get those. Atleast two travelogues should've been posted apart from the Sandakphu one which I've already read more than a dozen times. We deserve it nah!!! And you've put your vehicle into the best possible use for buying it. How I wish I had enough dough to cough up on a Bolero 4x4 or Scorpio 4x4. Being a student is bad it seems.

Cheers,
Subhra
tacho9000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 10:26   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
That was an arms length long list of drives you've done. You're working for CTS in Sector V I guess. We can meet up with each other on one of these days. My college is coincidentally near Sector V at Chingrihata to be precise. Would like to see you very soon. Do PM me your number if you do wish to meet a novice BHPian like me. And even I am an amateur offroader but with the kind help of UBS sir and his sons and other offroaders have been poring and learning a lot in the process. You should visit again and for the protections of those components why don't you talk with UBS sir regarding those as I'm very sure that sir will be able to get you the right contacts to get those kits at affordable prices and easy availability. By the way all of the trips you've doing seems to be missing one thing. The travelogue. When will we get those. Atleast two travelogues should've been posted apart from the Sandakphu one which I've already read more than a dozen times. We deserve it nah!!! And you've put your vehicle into the best possible use for buying it. How I wish I had enough dough to cough up on a Bolero 4x4 or Scorpio 4x4. Being a student is bad it seems.

Cheers,
Subhra
I work for TCS. I have been contemplating of going to Sir's place for quite sometime. Will go there as soon as possible.
You are not going to remain a student forever . But why only Bolero and Scorpio? Why not the Thar? Bolero is a very utilitarian vehicle. You have to sacrifice a lot of things. Most people hate the Bolero 4x4 after a short ride. But I love the vehicle for all its virtues, most importantly the peace of mind.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 11:36   #93
BHPian

Quote:
I work for TCS. I have been contemplating of going to Sir's place for quite sometime. Will go there as soon as possible.
You are not going to remain a student forever . But why only Bolero and Scorpio? Why not the Thar? Bolero is a very utilitarian vehicle. You have to sacrifice a lot of things. Most people hate the Bolero 4x4 after a short ride. But I love the vehicle for all its virtues, most importantly the peace of mind.
I will not remain a student forever is very true. Infact on earning I may get a car but the fact is that I prefer a Bolero 4x4 or Scorpio 4x4 because I will require a car which can do both family as well as offroad duties. I've extensively drove a Bolero and a Scorpio both 2WD in Assam whilst I was there on holidays. Although the Scorpio is powerful we can't just manhandle it the way we can manhandle a Bolero. So in that respect I will prefer a Bolero but it just happens that I love the Scorpio just that wee bit more maybe due to M-Hawk engine and my family also happens to love the Scorpio more so in that retrospect I just might get a Scorpio 4x4 in future. And Thar I would love to own but the restrictions that I'll have to put up with wrt family issues is far more hindering than getting a hardcore jeep. But who knows I just might abandon the plans for a Bolero or Scorpio and plonk some money down the Thar. Afterall we Live Young Live Free.

Cheers,
Subhra
tacho9000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 16:26   #94
Team-BHP Support

Today marks one year of our journey with the Bolero - the White Tusker. Current odo reading 34,651 Kms. The bankrupt owner has nothing to offer on this special day except rest for the full day
BlackPearl is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 13:33   #95
BHPian

Hi black pearl

How's white tusker doing? Any modification planned/done on him?

Do share some beautiful pictures of the car.

Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 14:35   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Hi black pearl

How's white tusker doing? Any modification planned/done on him?

Do share some beautiful pictures of the car.

Thanks
The White Tusker is doing fine, currently resting for a year as I have come to UK on a deputation. Lots of mods dreamt, don't know how much will be done . Will try to post some pics that I have brought with me.
Old 12th September 2013, 05:08   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl
Ever since we got the Bolero we have done the following long trips, next one should be Bhutan if everything goes fine -
1. March - Kolkata-Buxa-Darjeeling-Sandakphu-Kolkata
2. April - Kolkata-Sandakphu-Phalut-Kolkata
3. May - Kolkata-Lava-Charkhole-Kolkata
4. June - Kolkata-Srinagar-Kargil-Zanskar-Leh-Pangong-Manali-Kolkata
5. September - Kolkata-Gangtok-Kolkata
6. December - Kolkata-Kaluk-Uttarey-Darjeeling-Kolkata
7. January - Kolkata-Nawalgarh-Jaisalmer-Kunmbahlgarh-Udaipur-Kolkata
8. February - Kolkata-Sillery-Aritar-Manghim-Gangtok-Kolkata
Did some more trips but forgot to add -

9. February - Kolkata-Darjiling-Sandakphu-Rimbik-Kolkata
10. April - Kolkata-Chennai
11. April - Chennai-Periyar-Meghamalai-Chennai
12. May - Chennai-Kolkata

It has been almost 3 months since last drove the White Tusker. Missing the vehicle. Woke up one morning after dreaming that I have brought the car with me to London and can drive it anytime; only to get the rude shock after waking up :-(
Old 23rd September 2013, 01:41   #98
Team-BHP Support

That shows the articulation of the Bolero. Please ignore me posing

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_1798.jpg

Picture courtesy 1100D
BlackPearl is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 04:41   #99
Team-BHP Support

Here is video of the Bolero doing mild off roading -
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 14:29   #100
BHPian

Quote:
It has been almost 3 months since last drove the White Tusker. Missing the vehicle. Woke up one morning after dreaming that I have brought the car with me to London and can drive it anytime; only to get the rude shock after waking up :-(
Can someone (this case you) actually do it?
Can an Indian registered car drive around in UK? (after paying proper road tax, etc. -- whatever they have -- I don't know), albeit, for a temporary duration like 6 months or a year. That is without getting the car "imported" to UK after paying import duties (and other applicable charges -- whatever they may be) and registering it there.
Indian drivers holding IDL can drive in UK, I know, but Indian cars?

Is the reverse possible?

I have seen a Bangladesh registered car in Kolkata sometime in 2012. We were driving to Tollygunge from Shyambazar and saw the car on CR Avenue. From a distance it seemed like a "new" model on the roads. As I caught up with the car at a signal, found it was a Toyota Noah (never heard of it !!) with a Dhaka registration !!. Tried to overtake it / run parallel so that my wife could see the occupants, or I could have tried to talk to the driver of the car at the next signal. But it was Toyota and mine the poor man's M800. No match in pickup and speed. We lost the car.
Pics attached:
Attached Thumbnails
BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-photo0002aa.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-photo0003aa.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-photo0005aa.jpg  

Last edited by sauravdc : 13th October 2013 at 14:31. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 13th October 2013, 15:25   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdc View Post
Can an Indian registered car drive around in UK? (after paying proper road tax, etc. -- whatever they have -- I don't know),That is without getting the car "imported" to UK after paying import dutie
UK allows you to use a foreign registered car for upto 6 months without paying any taxes or duties. I have done this before. I have used my USA (New Jersey ) Registered M-Class for 6 months. I ran it on my USA Registration plates. Took it back with me to USA after 6 months.

You will have to get insurance cover locally though. I got my coverage though GEICO (USA).
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 19:55   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
UK allows you to use a foreign registered car for upto 6 months without paying any taxes or duties. I have done this before. I have used my USA (New Jersey ) Registered M-Class for 6 months. I ran it on my USA Registration plates. Took it back with me to USA after 6 months.

You will have to get insurance cover locally though. I got my coverage though GEICO (USA).
How much was the cost involved in getting the car to UK and back?
Old 13th October 2013, 21:22   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

It was send on a Roll on Roll of vessel and at that time, (2007) it was about 1000 USD each way.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 05:13   #104
Team-BHP Support

Today (22nd Feb) was the second birthday of my Bolero. Miss driving. Hopefully should start clocking the miles again in 3 months time.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 14:00   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Today (22nd Feb) was the second birthday of my Bolero. Miss driving. Hopefully should start clocking the miles again in 3 months time.
What a coincidence; 22nd February 2014 was the first Birthday of my Bolero! I am sure your Bolero misses you too and is fondly thinking of you!!!
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks