Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2022, 11:19   #586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Suspension, Steering Parts & Tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs85 View Post
Feels awesome to see that you are keen to keep the car in prime condition and not go through the discard after some time route.
Thanks for your appreciation
Quote:
You can keep the existing suspension setup and just change the lower arms to M3 one (it will be a direct fit and negative camber will make it an awesome handler).
True, will keep in mind for the future.
Quote:
I did the same thing but for a different reason with my E84, I had installed a lift kit from EIBACH but ordered x-drive version instead of s-drive version. This led to a change in the camber to Positive and the outer edge for the front tyres was getting gone in less than 2k km. To compensate for the change in camber I got the M3 arm kit and the car was awesome after that. Lifted with 200 mm Ground clearance, awesome handling of progressive springs and corrected camber readings. The rear had no issue hence was kept with stock arms.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

As we are talking about camber, here's a pic of the current (negative) camber of my car;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_8969.jpg

Quote:
Also, you can swap suspension springs from later generation cars, this setup was a bit stiff and better handler (if you prefer a firm BMW-like ride)
As the coil springs were in good shape did not require a change, but yes this can be attempted in the long term.

Last edited by karan561 : 30th December 2022 at 11:26.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 15:16   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
As we are talking about camber, here's a pic of the current (negative) camber of my car;
That's a pretty strong amount of -ve camber, any reason for it?
ghostrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 11:38   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
That's a pretty strong amount of -ve camber, any reason for it?
Yes, but within spec. as per the wheel alignment machine readings.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 14:01   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but within spec. as per the wheel alignment machine readings.
I'm sure it is buddy - been following your thread and I know you're extremely fastidious when it comes to maintenance.

My question was WHY there was a negative camber. You and I have the identical car, and my camber is completely neutral, so I was just wondering it the negative camber on yours was due to the 245/45s that you've just switched to.
Sometimes tires that are wider or taller than original spec can stretch the suspension slightly and cause changes in camber and caster angles, as well as toe angles, but 245/45 isn't that much of an oversize (it's +2.7%).
Have you deliberately configured the car for negative camber?
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 15:48   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure it is buddy - been following your thread and I know you're extremely fastidious when it comes to maintenance.

My question was WHY there was a negative camber. You and I have the identical car, and my camber is completely neutral, so I was just wondering it the negative camber on yours was due to the 245/45s that you've just switched to.
Sometimes tires that are wider or taller than original spec can stretch the suspension slightly and cause changes in camber and caster angles, as well as toe angles, but 245/45 isn't that much of an oversize (it's +2.7%).
Have you deliberately configured the car for negative camber?
When the alignment was done the custom tyre (245/45) specs were also entered, with that whatever was leaning towards negative camber (but within the spec.) was set

In real life on roads it aint that wild, here's a rolling pic for your reference;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_9282.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 16th January 2023 at 15:54.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 11:37   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Mo

Weekend Roadtrip;

A few weeks back had a plan to go to Mahabaleshwar on a quick weekend getaway, as my F30 328i had new parts, suspension and tyres installed I chose to take her over my M340i & here are some pictures from the 500+ km road trip;

Early start;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_8982.png

^ Mum - Pune Expressway.

1st halt at the food mall on expressway;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_8984.png

Some great time behind the wheel on Mt. roads;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_8993.png

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_8995.png

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_8994.png

While having fun on the twisties stopped by to click a couple of pictures for memory;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_8990.png

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_8988.png

Back on the road again;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_8999.png

^ Crossed Panchgani & entering Mahabaleshwar.

At the hotel reception;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_9002.png

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-503a9e34a943409d800bd0e35dfb35af.jpg

View from the Hotel lobby;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_9029.png

Clicked while on a trek;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_9073.png

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_9079.png

Morning Dew on the day of departure back to Mumbai;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_9071.png

TripLog;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_9084.png

karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 12:53   #592
BHPian

Re: The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Mo

Quote:
Weekend Roadtrip;

A few weeks back had a plan to go to Mahabaleshwar on a quick weekend getaway, as my F30 328i had new parts, suspension and tyres installed I chose to take her over my M340i & here are some pictures from the 500+ km road trip;
Great pics, car looks fantastic. You and I have clones of this car, with the same exterior and interior combo, and I think we're the only ones here with the white-on-red configuration - all the others (what few 328s there are) are red-on-black.

How are the 245 /45s treating you? Do you feel an improvement in ride from the 245 /40s? Any perceived loss in acceleration from the increased diameter? Any rubbing at all when the suspension compresses?
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 11:13   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Great pics, car looks fantastic.
Thanks.

Quote:
You and I have clones of this car, with the same exterior and interior combo, and I think we're the only ones here with the white-on-red configuration - all the others (what few 328s there are) are red-on-black.
Good to know

Quote:
How are the 245 /45s treating you? Do you feel an improvement in ride from the 245 /40s? Any perceived loss in acceleration from the increased diameter? Any rubbing at all when the suspension compresses?
245/45's have increased comfort for sure, however the touring / comfort spec. Primacy 4's struggle to put down the 300+ hp power which my car generates hence that's a negative. No rubbing anywhere, a good fit
Old 10th April 2023, 16:01   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Great pics, car looks fantastic. You and I have clones of this car, with the same exterior and interior combo, and I think we're the only ones here with the white-on-red configuration - all the others (what few 328s there are) are red-on-black.

That makes three of us. I have still retained my 2013 F30 328i. A white-on-red combo. A beauty to drive, even today (though it is more of a weekend car now)
Couper72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 16:30   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanted to share some updates on my F30 in the form of this video which is captioned " I'll Rebuild It " in the thumbnail. It's extremely important to have this attitude if you want to keep your German Car for a Long Term. More details in the video;

For those who prefer text may read on;

Incident No. 1:
Accident;

Earlier this year my car got into an accident, a pile up on the Eastern Express Highway where 5 other cars were involved too. Thankfully no one was behind me hence only the frontal portion of the car got damaged;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_0056.jpg

^ As you can see the grille was completely destroyed, bumper too needed work. Thankfully I had the original OE sportline grille which I reinstalled. Bumper too was repaired and refit. This accident really gave me good understanding of how strong the F30 chassis is and its build because the impact was substantial but the damage wasn't. Finally the car was back in top shape;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_0354.jpg

Incident No. 2: Headlight

After effects of the above accident during monsoon noticed the headlights too had some cracks (not in front but behind) which were allowing the moisture within. Very soon the headlights were in a bad shape;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-photo20230721192530.jpg

Claiming insurance for the headlight this late and for a 10+ year old car was not sensible. However very soon I found a headlight which was similarly aged like my car;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-photo20230802124132.jpg
The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-photo20230802124132-2.jpg

This was a good option financially too hence went ahead with the installation;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_1701.jpg

Incident No. 3: Breakdown No. 1

Just few 100m's after leaving my home the car died, thankfully it was in N hence pushed the car to side at a safe parking;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_1557.jpg

Had to call a flatbed from Infinity BMW, Turbhe workshop.

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_1558.jpg
The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-img_1559.jpg

The next day I got a call from the workshop that the issue was a failing fuel pump;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-photo20230813114157.jpg

Thankfully they had a new fuel pump in stock not at the workshop but at BMW's central warehouse in Pune which arrived in 2-3 days & the installation was done;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-photo20230813114158.jpg

Incident No. 3: Breakdown No. 2

Within a week of this job the car again suffered a breakdown at my office where the car was shutting down immediately after starting, hence had to again flatbed the car to the BMW Workshop @ Infinity;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-5fd31012ecae4844a483db172535c4dc.jpg

The problem was diagnosed and the Steinbauer powermodule was to blame this time as it had malfunctioned due to water seepage in the box;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-screenshot-20231002-4.27.40-pm.png

The car is back to stock tune now, in a way its good will help the longevity of the engine if the car is stock & not running a remap or a box IMO. Do note that I am still running the Injen Air Intake and a M Performance exhaust. Time for a Drive

Last edited by karan561 : 2nd October 2023 at 16:36.
karan561 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 18:38   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Claiming insurance for the headlight this late and for a 10+ year old car was not sensible. However very soon I found a headlight which was similarly aged like my car;

This was a good option financially too hence went ahead with the installation;
From where did you source the headlight and how much did it cost? How much was a new one?

Quote:
Incident No. 3: Breakdown No. 1

Just few 100m's after leaving my home the car died, thankfully it was in N hence pushed the car to side at a safe parking;

The next day I got a call from the workshop that the issue was a failing fuel pump;

Thankfully they had a new fuel pump in stock not at the workshop but at BMW's central warehouse in Pune which arrived in 2-3 days & the installation was done;
Could the fuel pump failure be due to E20 fuel? What was workshop view?

Also the replacement BOSCH Fuel Pump has a Mfg Date of 10 Oct 2019. Pretty old stock. Do check the warranty on replacement parts.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 22:17   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
From where did you source the headlight and how much did it cost? How much was a new one?
I sourced it through a friend from GJ. A new headlight costs around INR 1L. I sourced a preowned unit for INR 15k.

Quote:
Could the fuel pump failure be due to E20 fuel? What was workshop view?
No, It was just age related failure.

Quote:
Also the replacement BOSCH Fuel Pump has a Mfg Date of 10 Oct 2019. Pretty old stock. Do check the warranty on replacement parts.
That's ok for such parts, immediate availability was a good thing. Also the warranty is for 2 years from the date of install.
Old 2nd October 2023, 22:37   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to share some updates on my F30 in the form of this video which is captioned " I'll Rebuild It " in the thumbnail. It's extremely important to have this attitude if you want to keep your German Car for a Long Term. More details in the video;

For those who prefer text may read on;

Claiming insurance for the headlight this late and for a 10+ year old car was not sensible.
I did both; saw the video and read the review.

The interiors of your car just don't justify that it is more than 10 years old. Love the red interiors and how you are taking this out while having so many beasts in your garage. Also, how many KM does it have on the odo?

Hope you and your car are doing well now.
ex-innova-guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:10   #599
AAD
BHPian

Thanks Karan for the detailed update on the issues faced and its resolution. As a fellow BMW owner that intends to keep the Car for over a decade, it's nice to know the issues likely to be faced.

I had a question - You mentioned in the first breakdown that happened close to your residence that since the Car was in N, you were able to move the car to the side while waiting for the flatbed to arrive.

What happens if the Car breakdown while one is in Drive mode? Does it mean that it's impossible to move the Car to the side for safety?

Appreciate your thoughts on this to clarify.

Cheers,

Anuj
AAD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 21:56   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
I did both; saw the video and read the review.
Great, Thanks

Quote:
The interiors of your car just don't justify that it is more than 10 years old. Love the red interiors and how you are taking this out while having so many beasts in your garage.
Thanks, Yes it's been kept well.

Quote:
Also, how many KM does it have on the odo?
Approximately 41k kms.

Quote:
Hope you and your car are doing well now.
Yes, all good now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Thanks Karan for the detailed update on the issues faced and its resolution. As a fellow BMW owner that intends to keep the Car for over a decade, it's nice to know the issues likely to be faced.
Thanks Anuj.

Quote:
I had a question - You mentioned in the first breakdown that happened close to your residence that since the Car was in N, you were able to move the car to the side while waiting for the flatbed to arrive.

What happens if the Car breakdown while one is in Drive mode? Does it mean that it's impossible to move the Car to the side for safety?
If the car is in P and the car refuses to go into D or N or the car doesn't start but has to be towed then the mechanic has to do a small procedure underbody to mechanically switch to Neutral.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks