Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2015, 06:59   #436
Team-BHP Support

re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
One drawback is that they don't have the equipment for reading fault codes and they tell you to go to Surat for checking those.
When was this service done? Asking because they do have VAS scanning now and they did it as the last step of the service procedure. Their VAS scan laptop was a Panasonic Toughbook and they even checked the battery using another VAG tool wherein they clamped the two terminals and checked for the voltage and the tool gave a small printout of the results as well. Couldn't take snaps of these though.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st April 2015 at 07:00.
Old 21st April 2015, 19:37   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
When was this service done? Asking because they do have VAS scanning now and they did it as the last step of the service procedure. Their VAS scan laptop was a Panasonic Toughbook and they even checked the battery using another VAG tool wherein they clamped the two terminals and checked for the voltage and the tool gave a small printout of the results as well. Couldn't take snaps of these though.
Thanks for the update Gannu. That's nice to know. They did not have it when we got our car serviced in March and even last year. Will take our car to get it scanned. They have always been doing the battery test with that VAG tool though.
Old 21st April 2015, 21:08   #438
Team-BHP Support

Well, bad news. We were coming back via the NH-8 this evening, a small stone got thrown off some other vehicle and it hit the front windshield with a loud noise.

Result - windshield cracked at the co-driver side. :'(

The stone has hit the edge of the windshield and the crack propagated towards the center. It is pretty long - at least 15 cm. Shall post the snaps later. Noticed the crack as I reached the apartment and was parking the car.

It won't be a good idea to keep it this way for long. Will call up the service center and ask them for a rough estimate. There's also a Windshield Experts service center in Surat. Will get an estimate from them as well. The sad part is the number plate sticker affixed by the RTO as a part of the HSRP, goes for a toss now - it's a tamper-proof sticker and will have to be replaced by the RTO themselves. Bad day today! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
Will take our car to get it scanned.
There's only one service advisor for the whole service center and he's a good one at that. Shall send you a PM with his contact number - do get in touch.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 21:17   #439
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear this, especially knowing as to how you keep your ride.

Quote:
The sad part is the number plate sticker affixed by the RTO as a part of the HSRP, goes for a toss now - it's a tamper-proof sticker and will have to be replaced by the RTO themselves.
Is it required? Here, they didn't fix saying it peels away easily & when you have the required papers, no one bothers to look up that.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 22:15   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The stone has hit the edge of the windshield and the crack propagated towards the center. It is pretty long - at least 15 cm.
Windshield on my Ritz also had cracked the exact same way. That's why nowadays i always maintain good distance between trucks/buses on the highways.

I will suggest, contact those Windshield Expert guys as early as you can. Because when i went to them. to get the cracked windshield replaced, they actually told me that they could have taken care of that crack if i would have brought the car to them immediately rather then waiting for the crack to grow big before going for the replacement.

So may be you might not even need a windshield replacement. But yes, do check with VW once to see how much they quote for the same .
Schoudhury is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 09:30   #441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Is it required? Here, they didn't fix saying it peels away easily & when you have the required papers, no one bothers to look up that.
Yeah the HSRP sticker peels off over time. I've noticed this on a lot of cars and rickshaws here but mine is still intact so was wondering if I'd need a replacement. If they don't fix it everywhere, I suppose it is not mandatory to have it stuck. Many thanks for this Sheel! That's one less task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
So may be you might not even need a windshield replacement. But yes, do check with VW once to see how much they quote for the same .
I'll definitely be needing a replacement. Have a look:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150422_07_01_35_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150422_07_01_46_pro.jpg

I'll be contacting Windshield Experts and VW in some time. Will have to check if I need to claim insurance. Will be losing a 20% (25% this year) NCB. :(
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:40   #442
Team-BHP Support

Sorry for the back-to-back posting. Got the quotes.

VW:

Windshield - Rs. 4400
Sealant - Rs. 1250
Labour - Rs. 1200
Total - Rs. 6850 (inclusive of taxes)

Windshield Experts:

Windshield - Rs. 4200
Sealant - Rs. 1000
Labour - Rs. 1000
Total - Rs. 6200 (inclusive of taxes)

I am surprised at VW’s rates! Wasn’t really expecting this low. Will go with VW itself since Windshield Expert’s service center is located at a busy road (Ring Road) in Surat whereas I am put up at Navsari (distance - 40 km). WE is open 7 days a week however. Will be claiming the insurance. Mandatory deductible amounts to Rs. 2000.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:00   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will be claiming the insurance. Mandatory deductible amounts to Rs. 2000.
I don't think you'll gain by claiming insurance for a 7K amount - you'll lose out on NCB and premium overload.

If you've already claimed this year, then of course it makes sense to go ahead as you've already lost out on NCB/premium overload.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:04   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I don't think you'll gain by claiming insurance for a 7K amount - you'll lose out on NCB and premium overload.

If you've already claimed this year, then of course it makes sense to go ahead as you've already lost out on NCB/premium overload.
I haven't made any claims so far. Would you think it will make a substantial difference? I will be eligible for a 25% NCB this year, if I don't claim the insurance. I don't have much idea about this, thus asking.

Here's the breakup of the current insurance quote if it helps:

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 5652
Size:  58.8 KB
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:16   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't made any claims so far. Would you think it will make a substantial difference? I will be eligible for a 25% NCB this year, if I don't claim the insurance. I don't have much idea about this, thus asking.

Here's the breakup of the current insurance quote if it helps:

Attachment 1363327
The premium for the next years own damage section will be approx 8.5 K taking into account depreciation. You lose 25% of that , around 2K, for next year , and also the NCB premiums applied cumulatively over the next several years. Additionally, I believe there will be a premium overload applied by the insurance company. So it's around ~4-5k premium hike only for the next year.

Send a mail to the insurance co. asking how much premium you'll have to pay next year if you make a claim, and take a final call based on that. My take is that for a 7K claim and 2K deductible, it will work out roughly even both ways - if you make a claim , or if you pay from your pocket. :(
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 11:19   #446
Team-BHP Support

Forgot to update. Dropped the car at the service center on 22nd April evening. Called up the service advisor around 7:30 PM as I returned home from work and he was kind enough to wait until I dropped the car. He also took me to the store and showed me a whole lot of windshields stocked inside so this does not appear to be a backorder component, at least on this service center.

Anyhow, I wanted to see if the IRVM’s metal bracket comes glued to the windshield from the factory or if the service center folks fix it during the replacement. Unfortunately, the windshield ships with the bracket glued. I was thinking of retrofitting Jetta’s auto-dimming IRVM with the rain/light sensor (some of the Polo models sold abroad receives it) and our very own Alibhai has the entire kit for some 140 USD, it’s a straightforward modification save for removing the metal bracket from the windshield without cracking it. I intend to get back the cracked windshield or at least the part where the IRVM is installed so I can do some practice on it before attempting it on the actual thing.

I decided not to claim insurance for this replacement and lose the NCB in the process. I did send a mail to Bajaj Allianz asking them for the renewal premium this year in case I claim this insurance but they haven’t responded yet.

In the meantime, the service advisor called yesterday, confirmed that the windshield has been replaced and they are waiting for the bonding adhesive to cure. Will be collecting the car back today evening. That was pretty quick going by VW standards! And good communication as well!
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th April 2015, 11:18   #447
Team-BHP Support

Got the car back yesterday evening. Total downtime - 2 days, total damages to the wallet - Rs. 6560.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150425_07_01_25_pro.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150425_07_01_36_pro.jpg

Clean windshield, zero stickers anywhere!

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150425_07_01_49_pro.jpg

Invoice snap:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150424_22_05_56_pro.jpg

Really impressed with VW’s service and the turnaround time. They washed the car as well and didn't charge for it. They said the Jetta and Passat’s windshields are a lot more expensive since they come with the light/rain sensor (for the auto-dimming IRVM) preinstalled on the windshield. Yet to collect the old windshield back. I would really like to lay my hands on it to see how hard the IRVM bracket is to remove. Will click 30k km anytime now.

Many thanks to sdp1975 and sgiitk for their prompt responses! Really appreciate it guys.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th April 2015 at 11:23.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2015, 14:56   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyhow, I wanted to see if the IRVM’s metal bracket comes glued to the windshield from the factory or if the service center folks fix it during the replacement. Unfortunately, the windshield ships with the bracket glued.
Is it at the same height as your old one?

I always find my '12 1.6 Highline to be too low. Perhaps it always was a little higher on your model.
Old 25th April 2015, 18:58   #449
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is it at the same height as your old one?
Yes it is Nick. Same spot within that black patch.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2015, 20:24   #450
Senior - BHPian

The work looks good. And good decision on not claiming insurance.

The savings could be huge as you can transfer the cumulative NCB for your next car.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks