Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2015, 13:54   #496
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: Gujarat >> Chennai!

Gannu, your attention to small detail is what separates you from other modders (for lack of a better word).

How does the Auto-headlight sensor module get installed with the Golf Mk7’s headlight switch? Is it plug-and-play?
Edit: Sorry, just saw your reply above. Thanks for your post.

Last edited by aurelino : 30th June 2015 at 13:57.
aurelino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 16:27   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This is what I am also thinking to since i do lot of night driving. I'll be sending the supplier @ Aliexpress today evening so that i can get the right mirror.
I too am on the lookout for one for my swift. Looking forward for the results.
Old 30th June 2015, 16:48   #498
Senior - BHPian

Gannu,

Hats off for those mods, the detailed steps for each DIY is simply amazing and brilliant. I guess you are spoiling the VW owners for choice of mods done. Its good to know that VW workshop supported you in most of your innovations.

How much did the anti theft bolts cost? Just wondering why wouldn't VW provide the same on the Indian models? I will be definitely interested for the Antiglare OVRM's for my Punto, in fact I searched and did not get any encouraging response on google. Its a shame that most high end cars in my city drive with their high beams on.

Why do I have this feeling that with so many DIY's you car is turning from being German workhorse to a chinese one?
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 17:02   #499
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I too am on the lookout for one for my swift. Looking forward for the results.
I just received a message from one of the three suppliers I narrowed down @ AliExpress that they so not have IRVM for the Swift in the Auto-dimming variant.

The IRVM they stock looks a bit rectangular with sharp edges. Not like the OEM unit not like what Gannu has bought.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 20:06   #500
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How much did the anti theft bolts cost?
22 GBP. Approx. Rs. 2200.

Quote:
Just wondering why wouldn't VW provide the same on the Indian models?
Cost cutting? I can't see a better reason but this isn't a must-have accessory unless you stay in an area where wheel thefts are common. IINM Skoda bundled these locking wheel bolts with some of their cars, the older Fabia and such.

Quote:
Why do I have this feeling that with so many DIY's you car is turning from being German workhorse to a chinese one?
The heart is still German!

On a serious note, I haven't come across a part that has a shoddy workmanship or build quality.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 00:20   #501
BHPian

I was searching for this on aliexpress and got the following:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-Go...302585521.html

This seems to be different from yours and may not fit with the stock female connector, right? (not to mention that it is half of what you paid for, so there's something wrong here I guess.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It's a very straightforward modification and pretty much plug-n-play.

Remove the stock headlight switch from the slot, remove the stock female connector (which is a broad one), connect it to the module's male slot, connect the smaller connector from the module to the Auto headlight switch, route the sensor to the bottom of the A-pillar and use zip-ties to secure the module to the frame. That's all.
Old 1st July 2015, 16:51   #502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino View Post
I was searching for this on aliexpress and got the following:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-Go...302585521.html

This seems to be different from yours and may not fit with the stock female connector, right? (not to mention that it is half of what you paid for, so there's something wrong here I guess.)
That's different. It is meant for Golf and other VAG cars which are equipped with this headlight switch and the smaller harness connector:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-514698_x800.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-514699_x600.jpg

Source: ECS Tuning
Old 4th July 2015, 18:29   #503
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:
10. RCD 510 HU:

The last update would be this. No pics as I am yet to receive the consignment.
Received the HU last Monday and installed it a few days later. Took 10 minutes all-in-all. Love the OEM look!

Here are some snaps:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0528.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0552.jpg

Got the variant with the RVC and knurled knobs instead of the chrome ones. Can't stand too much of chrome!

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_0539.jpg

I had to modify the quadlock harness a bit as it had the bare CANbus cables. Shall explain everything in a separate post on the RCD 510 DIY thread. For the 2013 and onward owners, this is going to be a walk in the park!

Yet to place the order for the 9W7 BT module, mic and harness. Will do it this week.
Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 19:58   #504
BHPian

Looks awesome! Please do post the prices n links like you do usually. But most importantly, please let us know how the sound quality is different from the previous HU. How well does the speedo console integrate with this? One thing is sure, your HU is going to be way more easier to operate and looks awesome! Did I just say that again?
Saint_Krish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 09:30   #505

I just spent the last half an hour catching up with your log (it used to be something I did quite frequently before from since when we had decided on buying this car). I must say, I'm amazed with the work you've put into your DIYs and documenting them so well. I also love how you've changed the car so much and yet kept a touch of authenticity intact. Its been several months since I updated myself on this thread, and it seems to have been quite busy for you innit! Looking forward for more.

I just had my car go through its first service. Coincidentally 15k and 1 year happened at the same time, mostly thanks to a 7500 km south-to-north and back trip that really put this car's endurance to the test.

I was really disappointed and severely frustrated by the quality of service. We've had bad experiences with Skoda for the past 11 years, but I did not expect VW to leave me with the feeling that Skoda's service is better. They had me waiting in the service station for 5 hours yesterday just to pick up the car, even after i arrived 2 hours later than the stated pickup time. While I was waiting and watching they did a pretty half-arsed job of cleaning. They hadn't even done the wheel alignment before sending it for washing.

Next time I think I should try a different service centre, although considering this is Bangalore I have a hunch they'll all be as bad. Looking at your service experience makes me want to drive all the way there again just for getting the car serviced!
Hermód is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 22:44   #506
BHPian

Totally spell bound by your works Gannu. I have been following your thread since you put it up and every page is absolute bliss to go through.Wishing the good god to give me some of your dedication and passion to make time amidst my routine to pamper my ride.i have been considering retro fitting cruise control stalk on my 2014 Vento 1.6 tdi.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 10:54   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Shall explain everything in a separate post on the RCD 510 DIY thread.
Eagerly awaiting the details. This is one swap i am eagerly awaiting to do.

Printh, this may not be possible as the pre-facelift Ventos don't come with a highline BCM and a highline BCM is required for retrofitting the cruise control stalk as far as i have read in this forum. But Gannu will be the best person to confirm this

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 6th July 2015 at 10:59.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 11:10   #508
BHPian

I have lost touch on all your updates! You are one crazy VW fan and in a good way. Love your threads buddy! Keep it coming!!
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 11:32   #509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Krish View Post
Looks awesome! Please do post the prices n links like you do usually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Eagerly awaiting the details. This is one swap i am eagerly awaiting to do.
Here you go - 15 minute DIY Install - Delphi based RCD 510 headunit in my VW Polo GT TDI

Quote:
But most importantly, please let us know how the sound quality is different from the previous HU.
Honestly, to my untrained ears, I couldn't find a big difference between the Blaupunkt unit and this one.

Quote:
How well does the speedo console integrate with this?
Check the DIY thread. I've posted the snaps of it.

Quote:
One thing is sure, your HU is going to be way more easier to operate and looks awesome! Did I just say that again?
Absolutely! That's the first thing that caught my attention - this unit is so easy to operate compared to the Blaupunkt unit. Every setting is accessible at a touch of the button/screen or two. It integrates well with the front fascia as well. And the fonts and UI is similar to what we get with the car. To be very particular, check out the fonts on the display with that displayed on the gear knob and the instrument cluster.

The only downer is USB input and radio requires extra cables. If it is just SD card and CD, you are set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermód View Post
Looking at your service experience makes me want to drive all the way there again just for getting the car serviced!
The previous service center at Surat wasn't all that great. The 7.5k free inspection and the 15k first service was done there and I wasn't impressed. VW Navsari was the extreme opposite in that regard! The service advisor was very kind and co-operative and the car was attended to quickly. I was completely satisfied with these folks and dropped a mail to VW India about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
I have been considering retro fitting cruise control stalk on my 2014 Vento 1.6 tdi.
What Mohan said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Printh, this may not be possible as the pre-facelift Ventos don't come with a highline BCM and a highline BCM is required for retrofitting the cruise control stalk as far as i have read in this forum. But Gannu will be the best person to confirm this
Do check what is the BCM you have in your car. The current lot of facelifted Vento comes with the highline BCMs with the part number that ends in 087. That's the first prerequisite for the cruise control retrofit.
Old 9th July 2015, 21:17   #510
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Hi Gannu_1,

You seem to have done quite some DIY mods and seem to be enjoying your mods at its fullest!

I guess its high time you should share with the rest of us an article on DIY - especially any negative experiences you might have had.

This would definitely serve as a reminder to anyone whose starting DIY on VAG cars

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks