Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 9th January 2021, 21:40   #616
BHPian

Default Re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - The 200,000 Km update!

Just wow and congratulations on achieving this milestone! Whats surprising is the parts longevity like shock absorbers being replaced at 180,000 kms!

How do you deal with SA's replacing parts just to meet their target? Do you stay with your car during the service? I get my car serviced at Surakshaa car care in Koramangala, if you refuse their usual nonsense like AC disinfectant Spray, Replacing ac filters in every service etc they come up with sir your car parts have gone bad and they Just replace it (they replaced my front Brake pad - ciaz in 20,000 km and i had no issues whatsoever, they just show some worn out brake pad when you ask them for old pads)
Sri Vathsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 11:49   #617
BHPian

Default Re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - The 200,000 Km update!

Congratulations on this milestone. I am happy as well owning another Ertiga VDi myself.
If you dont mind, want to ask you how is the armrest doing? Is it still holding strong? I am planning to install it on mine.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 14:28   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
If you dont mind, want to ask you how is the armrest doing? Is it still holding strong? I am planning to install it on mine.
I removed this more than a year back. I hated the rattle the internal joints of this armrest was creating.

My advise to you will be to stay away from this. I am planning something else though where I may evaluate options to install the OE center console of the current Ertiga that comes with Armrest (not easy due to dimensions).
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 12:10   #619
BHPian

I am slowly coming to realise that the Ertiga is a wonderful yet quite underrated car. Mine is a Petrol ZXI (Dec 2014) and has clocked 116000 Kilometres. The engine is butter smooth and now has gradually matured into a Rev happy monster. This is something of a characteristic in the K series engines i guess. Your Thread has been a constant source of motivation and also a great source of learning on taking care of the car. Your advice at times has been invaluable like advising me not to go for the Rogerab modification on the car.

I recently got my Timing chain replaced at 115000 kms and this decision was based on your interval of getting the timing chain replaced. I told my MASS guy to get this done and only after that did he acknowledge that this is a great step in preventive maintenance. I saw the old chain and to be honest it looked in great shape but as even the owner of the Mass grudgingly admitted that Timing chains should be replaced after 100000 plus kilometres just to be on the safer side.

My suspension though was also overhauled/replaced at 115000 kms due to shock absorbers developing some noise and also the suspension arms were worn off. I though blame this on the tough unsparing terrain of my home state Himachal where i regularly drive to from Gurgaon. Still i think 115000 kms is quite decent for the car considering my previous Alto's suspension went bad at just 66000 kms which rarely went on long trips and mainly was my daily driver in the city.

The owner of my MASS was telling me that the K series engines will easily last for more than 300000 kms and he has some customers, one being a Ciaz and another one an Ertiga owner with close to these many KMS on the ODO. This actually proves your theory on the longevity of the vehicle and the K series should also be as reliable as the 1.3 DDIS. This makes me positive on the reliability factor of the Japs in basic mechanicals and with the recent safety ratings of the Seltos , it proves that buying a sensible , practical car is a good bargain in the end.
Shwet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 15:16   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
Many congratulations Parag! Beautifully detailed and written. The 200000 km milestone is really special.
Thank you Shwet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
Your advice at times has been invaluable like advising me not to go for the Rogerab modification on the car.
The last 2 weeks of December has seen some insane level of usage my Ertiga had experienced in the last 7 years of ownership. With around 14 guests, I made 2 Airport trips and then one to Coorg along with 2 more cars with my car ferrying 2 rows of passengers along with fully loaded boot too. I still remember that there was no single instance of underbody scrapping anywhere during these days including taking the monstrous speedbreaker before joining BIAL/KIAL expressway in front of BSF campus which is humongous in size.

Quote:
I saw the old chain and to be honest it looked in great shape but as even the owner of the Mass grudgingly admitted that Timing chains should be replaced after 100000 plus kilometres just to be on the safer side.
I would agree to this. How I wish MSIL had a predefined interval mentioned for timing chain replacement for their cars.

Regarding the look and feel of the chain, trust me you can make out NOTHING when the chain is removed since it remains well lubricated all the times. The only way one can say the chain is worn is when the links have become weak and the length of the chain is increased by few mm, a result of which can be catastrophic if the chain starts to rub the timing case cover and the debris falling into the engine oil. Over a period of time one of the chain links would give up and break too!!

Quote:
My suspension though was also overhauled/replaced at 115000 kms due to shock absorbers developing some noise and also the suspension arms were worn off. I though blame this on the tough unsparing terrain of my home state Himachal where i regularly drive to from Gurgaon. Still i think 115000 kms is quite decent for the car considering my previous Alto's suspension went bad at just 66000 kms which rarely went on long trips and mainly was my daily driver in the city.
My WagonR's suspension saw its first replacement coming at as less as 77,000 Km. So your Alto too faired pretty decent there.

I still remember Leoshashi referring to me that the suspension of Ertiga Diesel and Petrol are different and it could be due to this reason why you had to experience wear at 1.15K. But still, it is a good interval.

Quote:
The owner of my MASS was telling me that the K series engines will easily last for more than 300000 kms and he has some customers, one being a Ciaz and another one an Ertiga owner with close to these many KMS on the ODO. This actually proves your theory on the longevity of the vehicle and the K series should also be as reliable as the 1.3 DDIS.
I have very rarely come across an MS product that is known for premature engine problems to be honest. I have an example of my own WagonR now almost clocked 2.6L Km on a sealed engine and Gearbox. The engine sounds and runs as good as any other car that would have done 40K km. DDiS is a known fact as we have seen innumerable cabs around us roaming around without issues.

Quote:
This makes me positive on the reliability factor of the Japs in basic mechanicals and with the recent safety ratings of the Seltos , it proves that buying a sensible , practical car is a good bargain in the end.
Honestly, back then in 2013, the Ertiga ticked most of my requirements and came at a very affordable price. If it is today, the more conscious me would certainly add few more rows (of safety) and choose the car I would buy which will still be a balanced compromise between Safety, Build and extreme reliability. Needless to say, I will close my eyes and pick the Crysta but there is still time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post
Hi Parag sir,
2 Lakh+ in 2 cars! That too with immaculate maintainance, perfection with DIYs, keeping track of all records , penning down everything with details.
It just shows your passion, patience and perfection.
Thank you Chandan. It is indeed with great pride I can now say that my garage has 2 cars that have clocked over 2+ lacs each .

Quote:
My father too owns a 2013 Eritiga, clocked 60k kms.
Usually we prefer to keep our cars for long and your thread is surely going to be one of the point of references for us.

Off topic:
Wish to see your Ertiga in person and hope we can meet up sometime, when time permits, when you travel to Belur via Hassan.
(I have moved out of Bangalore recently and staying near Hassan now)
The world is supremely small. And as I said, when it comes to Malenadu it gets even smaller and somehow somewhere we would be connected through common friends or relatives. Glad to have connected with you and immensely happy to learn that you know some of my closest of friends from around the region where I belong to! Look forward to catch up with you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Vathsa View Post
Whats surprising is the parts longevity like shock absorbers being replaced at 180,000 kms!
I felt the same too. I remember it was during the 120K service that I had asked the MASS to check both the Engine mounts as well as the suspension and I got a nod that all was well.

After this, I would request them to check the suspension every 20K kms until during the 180K service they showed me a leaking suspension and I asked them to replace all the 4. I think suspension for bigger vehicles do last long compared to smaller cars, components of which take a bigger impact due to smaller wheel size where the same is absorbed by the taller sidewalls and larger wheel size in bigger cars.

Quote:
How do you deal with SA's replacing parts just to meet their target? Do you stay with your car during the service? I get my car serviced at Surakshaa car care in Koramangala, if you refuse their usual nonsense like AC disinfectant Spray, Replacing ac filters in every service etc they come up with sir your car parts have gone bad and they Just replace it (they replaced my front Brake pad - ciaz in 20,000 km and i had no issues whatsoever, they just show some worn out brake pad when you ask them for old pads)
I mostly stay with the car yes. This has been the case even with my WagonR. This is not because I dont trust the ASC but more because I would like to see the work being carried out myself. All the services for my WagonR till 1.65L was always done at Mandovi Motors, Yeshwantpur. So it is not that I have always visited Surakshaa. However, with Ertiga, all the services were carried out at Surakshaa only.

Regarding brake pads, it is ideally better to replace them based on visible inspection. If you are not convinced, you can always ask them to show you the thickness through a proper tool and then go ahead with the replacement.

During my own services in the past, if you refer to my previous posts on periodic services, you would see that I was posting images of the brake pads and when I replaced them first at 82,000 Km the mechanics were shell-shocked and were unable to believe. For them, the average life of pads for an Ertiga in Bangalore is anywhere between 25000-35000 Km.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th January 2021 at 15:18.
paragsachania is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 11:19   #621
BHPian

One more thing i forgot to mention is that my clutch is still stock at 116000 Kms. So i am quite satisfied with the original parts performance as such. I concur with your opinion that the interior is not as rugged as an old Wagon R or Alto, which was quite well put together despite having harder plastic parts. You are right about your requirements being met in 2013 with the Ertiga. The same was the case with me in 2014-15 when most of my requirements were met by the vehicle. The only reason i did not go for the diesel was the fear of the gear synchroniser issue and the fact that i got the top model for a very reasonable sum as against a diesel which would have been more expensive. Today i too would have opted for something more safer , preferably with six airbags . However i am still quite satisfied with the vehicle and would keep it for some more years as of now.

On another note, i think MSIL would have done better if it had launched the XL7 in India , that vehicle looks very practical plus comes with 200mm Ground clearance and very nice looking alloys on 195/60 R16 tyres. I don't know why Suzuki deems it fit to be launched in Indonesia and India loses out. Also the new Ertiga and XL7 scores a 4 star on Asean NCAP so i guess just like in the case of Seltos and Creta the India bound models lose out on the enhanced UHSS re-inforcements in strategic areas of the bodyshell . It's a pity and i think Maruti would do well to look into this.
Shwet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 08:54   #622
BHPian

Hey Parag,

Great thread and love reading it.. fantastic inspiration!!

My Ertiga VXi just completed 8 yrs and is now at almost 75k - and reading this, it can go on n on it seems..

Just a question: Do you feel the suspensions and good as before, or do you see the bumps not riding as well with so many kms done? I just feel my vehicle seems to be showing signs of not being as smooth (maybe the bumps and the ditches have become worse ) Any thoughts?

My stock tyres lasted for 68 kms (Good Years) and I upgraded to the P4ST.

Thanks a lot and keep it going!!

Thanks

Vikram
vikramv4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 17:19   #623
BHPian

Just to answer your query on the stock suspension remaining strong at 75000kms , i think a lot depends on what roads the car has travelled on and how the vehicle has been driven? Assuming that everything is normal with no extreme abuse, i think the suspension will be holding up just fine at 75000 kms. If there is some weakening than it can also be due to certain parts being due for replacement after almost eight years.

I did not find any issues in my ownership till about 105000 kms at least, my car was driven on all sorts of roads.

Last edited by Shwet : 18th January 2021 at 17:21.
Shwet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 17:00   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Call it the 200000Km celebration drive or a drive to remember the drives so far or simply no reasons needed, I drove to Aurangabad and Mumbai and continue to enjoy the simple machine to the fullest.

Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - The 200,000 Km update!-img_20210120_092236.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - The 200,000 Km update!-img_20210120_152426.jpg

Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - The 200,000 Km update!-img_20210120_081416.jpg
paragsachania is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:34   #625
bkc
BHPian

Hi,
I needed some insight for my used diesel Ertiga. The car had clocked 88k kms and post buying, I did the sync ring replacment, clutch and general service.

The clutch engagement travel is very very low compared to my swift, i.e. the clutch gets engaged, as soon as you move, few Centimetres away from the floor. Is this, like this for Ertiga?

Most Viewed