Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2014, 07:39   #91
Senior - BHPian

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Hiya.

The lights above the rear number plates are indeed white LED's. I tried sliding the cover aside to get a clear pic of the bulb, to no avail.

The part number you're looking for is 3AF-943-021-A and they're slightly pricey...about $50 a piece! But then, they'll be OEM and you won't get any errors after some very minor tinkering in VCDS.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the intel. I sourced just LED bulbs and they cost me about ₹250 each. But sometimes it pops an error while some times it doesn't. So i figured I could solve this with OEM fittings. By the way just saw it on cars-equipment.com. The lights come in at €13 a piece. Then again i will need to pay for the courier and all, plus after installing, it needs VCDS to get rid of the error by checking a box in the BCM page. Huh. So much for sucha small thing. But I still want it! The lights look like they have a frosty kind of a glass isn't it? I am talking about the fitting, not the bulb itself.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 26th March 2014 at 07:48.
Old 26th March 2014, 09:00   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Thanks for the intel. I sourced just LED bulbs and they cost me about ₹250 each. But sometimes it pops an error while some times it doesn't. So i figured I could solve this with OEM fittings.
That's an issue with picking out just any LED bulbs, it's itritating to have those errors pop up. If and when you go the OEM route and configure it using VCDS you'll have zero issues.

Quote:
By the way just saw it on cars-equipment.com. The lights come in at €13 a piece. Then again i will need to pay for the courier and all, plus after installing, it needs VCDS to get rid of the error by checking a box in the BCM page. Huh. So much for sucha small thing. But I still want it! The lights look like they have a frosty kind of a glass isn't it? I am talking about the fitting, not the bulb itself.
I remember seeing that last night too, albeit after I posted the $50 price I first saw! At €13 a piece, it's a great deal. You are correct, the casing is slightly frosty/crystalline in nature in that you can't see very clearly into the innards of the bulb. Doesn't affect luminescence even slightly though!
Old 26th March 2014, 09:49   #93
Team-BHP Support

Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
But sometimes it pops an error while some times it doesn't.
Cheaper LEDs cause this issue and the CANBUS throws an error. This happens because ideally the computer onboard believes that the 12V bulb draws 5W but when you install an LED in its place, it consumes about 1W and the computer believes that the new ‘bulb’ you just installed went kaput or is defective. Thus, it throws an error.

There are two workarounds for this:

1. Source CANBUS error free LEDs wherein SMD resistors are soldered into the units like these:

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-canbus3.jpg

so the LED actually draws 5W just like the halogen bulb instead of 1W, which results in the CANBUS not throwing an error any more.

2. Or retrofit a load resistor like this:

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-20pairs40pcst10t15194w5w168921led.jpg

There are plenty of cheap ones available online and branded ones from Philips and Osram.

Philips CANbus control unit/warning canceller for LED lamps (Twin Pack)

Osram LEDriving Canbus Control Unit

You will have to get rid of the error messages using VCDS regardless.

PS: The number plate lamps use W5W bulbs IINM.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th March 2014 at 09:54.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 10:05   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Cheaper LEDs cause this issue and the CANBUS throws an error.
Thanks very much for sharing the reasons for the error and the links of resistors. The bulbs I use (W5W) have built in soldered resistors. I think VCDS should do the trick, cheers!!

Quote:
I remember seeing that last night too, albeit after I posted the $50 price I first saw! At €13 a piece, it's a great deal. You are correct, the casing is slightly frosty/crystalline in nature in that you can't see very clearly into the innards of the bulb. Doesn't affect luminescence even slightly though!
The benefit of a frosty-crystalline effect on the casing is that you do not get a reflection of the bulbs on the rear bumper, on the area exactly falling in the throw of the light. the regular halogen bulbs have lesser reflection. May be I can scotch tape it but I dont think it will withstand the heat emitted, and will definitely come off after a pressure-wash. Now what else could I do? hmmmm.. Sand paper to rough the surface out perhaps?
Old 10th April 2014, 18:55   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't know where, but very recently I (or the wife or a valet) had parked it somewhere and faint, invisible spots of paint/primer had dotted the car all over. Had to get that treated, and it's as good as new. ...
Hi iliketurtles, sorry about the newbie question. When you say you "had to get that treated" what type of treatment did you get done? I am considering getting a 3M car detailing on my car. They are charging me 5K for this. Not sure if this includes the paint selant and waxing.

Also, have you started doing any waxing job yourselves? What is your regular washing routine like?

Sorry about the barrage of questions. Have to start planning for the maintenance of the car and the only cleaning I know of is a bucket of water with soap oil and a cotton towel that I used to on my Getz!

Edit: Just saw your response on the Jetta thread.

Last edited by graaja : 10th April 2014 at 19:02.
Old 10th April 2014, 19:23   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
When you say you "had to get that treated" what type of treatment did you get done?
Hiya graaja!

When I say I had to get the car treated, I mean that i quite literally had to get the car treated. The paint looked fine to see; gloss, color was absolutely fine but when you ran your hand over some sections of the car (e.g: upper-half of the LHS rear door, LHS of the boot, etc.) you could feel it was noticeably rough, almost like a very fine, invisible sandpaper was stuck on those parts of the paint. This annoyed me no end. Mind you, I couldn't even see what was causing it, it was invisible, but I knew it was there. And just knowing that drove me batty. I absolutely had to get it treated. I wanted those imperfections gone.

In essence, some contaminants had bonded themselves to the cars paint job and that's what I could feel when I ran my hand over the paint. The theory told to me was that the car had been parked near some place with painting going on, and some of it had got bonded to the paint. I had to pay extra for a glaze to be used as well, and that combined with the paint sealant restored the car's showroom look and feel.

Quote:
I am considering getting a 3M car detailing on my car. They are charging me 5K for this. Not sure if this includes the paint sealant and waxing.
I did reply to this bit in the VW Jetta thread In a nutshell, I'd say do it elsewhere if you want to go ahead with it, most professional detailers can do as good a job, all at a lesser price than 3M. I paid Rs. 6,400 in all because I paid them for the glazing as well, the paint sealant alone (which lasts longer than carnauba wax) would have cost me Rs. 4,000. The package I paid for includes 2 treatments, the second to be done whenever I want to within a year.

Do ask them what it includes. I reckon they use a wax of some kind. A sealant would be better in that it lasts longer though, scientifically speaking.

Quote:
Also, have you started doing any waxing job yourselves? What is your regular washing routine like?
Yes, I have begun doing some DIY detailing and waxing on my own. I have purchased Meguiar's liquid wax for the purpose of waxing the car. It's a liquid wax that you spray on and wipe off, no problemo. I plan to use it once a month to wax the car. Over and above that, there's a man friday in the building who washes the car every day (except Sunday) and while he does a good job, he uses some rubbish cloth and it leaves swirl marks (inevitable, really). I plan to get these fixed up at the next professional paint sealant treatment I get done.

For regular washing that I do myself (if I'm out of town, not at home or just feel the car needs cleaning), I use Poorboy's Spray and Wipe and Poorboy's Spray & Gloss in conjunction with a washing mitt (for washing all the dirt off) and a microfiber towel for drying the car off.

The Spray & Wipe is just to wipe stuff off and it does a great job of it. The Spray and Gloss only adds a dose of gloss to whatever section it's applied on. Neither of these has any protective properties like a Wax/Sealant would. That's the job of Meguiar's Quik wax.

Quote:
Have to start planning for the maintenance of the car and the only cleaning I know of is a bucket of water with soap oil and a cotton towel that I used to on my Getz!
Get your Fraulein some of the good stuff. Order from detailed clean, they have a good inventory of products and are running sale on Poorboy's products, which I'd recommend. Buy at least a towel and the spray and wipe to begin with, you can always pick up a good wax some time later!
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 20:17   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, I have begun doing some DIY detailing and waxing on my own...
Hey iliketurtles, thank you so much on the very detailed reply. I have decided to skip the detailing for now as the car is still new and there are no swirl marks and the paint is still quite shiny. I will start with good cleaning products and wax and go for the buffing and paint sealant process at a later stage. I will look into the "detailed clean website" and pick some stuff from there.
Old 10th April 2014, 20:42   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey iliketurtles, thank you so much on the very detailed reply. I have decided to skip the detailing for now as the car is still new and there are no swirl marks and the paint is still quite shiny. I will start with good cleaning products and wax and go for the buffing and paint sealant process at a later stage. I will look into the "detailed clean website" and pick some stuff from there.
Luckily for you Grey is a far, far easier colour to maintain than black. My 3 is in grey and swirls and dirt just don't show that easily, the Accord on the other hand is a pain to maintain. Just make sure the person who washes your car uses ample water and give him a microfibre cloth or 2 to use.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 12:03   #99
BHPian

Been following this thread with interest, as am caught in the same quandary for some time now. Jetta vs Octy vs any other.

Been leaning towards the Jetta and had a good Test ride of the Highline TDI AT yesterday. Loved everything about the car - the ride, the gearshifts, the doors closing with a thud, the handling, and yes the cooooool headlight washers!
The only 2 -ves in the VWJ over the Octy are the lack of memory function for the seats and the Sunroof (roof top )

The kids are pressurizing me to choose the Octy or the used C220 that we test drove (more on that later) only because of the sunroof.

I mentioned this to the dealer yesterday and he gave me an option to get a manually operated Sunroof. He says he has done this for several customers (not on the Jetta) for other cars and it does not void warranty and is completely safe and leakproof. I am personally against doing this - cringing at the thought of cutting up a new car. But any thoughts on this will be welcome.

The second good news that the dealer gave me was that the BLUE colour is now available for the Jetta. This definitely helps in tilting the decision towards it.

Lastly - test drove a C edition C220 CDI - 2013 Sep with only 8K on the ODO. Getting it with Zero Dep Insurance and 3 year Warranty for a just a few Lakhs more than the Jetta - nearly 40% off the OTR. Seriously tempted and confused
car.lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 12:41   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
The second good news that the dealer gave me was that the BLUE color is now available for the Jetta. This definitely helps in tilting the decision towards it.
Hi car.lover,

I am also in the plan of booking a Jetta, and this post of yours almost came as a shock, Blue color ?? I never heard of this color. Can you please find out more details on this. I'm assuming it to be the BMW blue or is it the old 2011 jetta blue color.

I'm not sure how a second hand Merc would be in terms of maintenance over the years, May be akshay1234 and the others might help you on this. If you can convenience your kids which i'm sure will be a very tough task My suggestion go with the jetta. Spare costs and maintenance will be cheaper compared to that of the Mercedes. There are quite a few cars with Sunroof's fitted manually. With excellent workmanship a sunroof can be installed on any car, but i'm not sure on the warranty.

I found quite a blue shades in the below link, I Guess the color he told you must be Tempest Blue Mettalic

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/Volkswagen/All/Jetta/

Last edited by Amarendranath : 11th April 2014 at 12:59.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 12:52   #101
Senior - BHPian

That is quite the conundrum to have, although it's always good to be spoilt for choice, what say? Anyways, let me try to help you a bit here.

Quote:
Been leaning towards the Jetta and had a good Test ride of the Highline TDI AT yesterday. Loved everything about the car - the ride, the gearshifts, the doors closing with a thud, the handling, and yes the cooooool headlight washers!

The only 2 -ves in the VWJ over the Octy are the lack of memory function for the seats and the Sunroof (roof top )
The Jetta is a very well-rounded car indeed, although I'm not sure the rooftop is as much of a deal breaker for me in my eyes (the wife would disagree!), I don't know how many times I'd use it. The big loss is the lack of memory seats, I do wish the Jetta came with that although if you think about it it doesn't take more than half a minute to find your perfect seating position. If the car is driven only by you, it's a loss you can live with really.

Quote:
The kids are pressurizing me to choose the Octy or the used C220 that we test drove only because of the sunroof.
Kids will be kids, they love the bling but ask yourself whether you feel it's worth it all to have a sunroof. In a dusty, hot climate such as ours, I can't see much use for the sunroof really. Now the cooled seats in the Elantra, that is a nice feature to have in our climate, but that's a separate discussion entirely.

Quote:
I mentioned this to the dealer yesterday and he gave me an option to get a manually operated Sunroof. I am personally against doing this, but any thoughts on this will be welcome.
In a word, no. Just don't do it. Why would you want to cut up a brand new car? If you take it to a Webasto shop and get it done that's a different story, I'd still consider doing it from them. But don't let your dealer chop the Jetta up if you do go for her.

Quote:
The second good news that the dealer gave me was that the BLUE colour is now available for the Jetta. This definitely helps in tilting the decision towards it.
What what what?Hold on...which blue are we talking of here? The Octavia's Race Blue or the Blue that comes with the Jetta in the US? Either way, both are lovely colors although they will be as high maintenance as the black if not more. It's a stunning color to behold though, has to be said. Please share a pic with us if possible.

Quote:
Lastly - test drove a C edition C220 CDI - 2013 Sep with only 8K on the ODO. Getting it with Zero Dep Insurance and 3 year Warranty for a just a few Lakhs more than the Jetta - nearly 40% off the OTR. Seriously tempted and confused
That is a seriously tempting deal, but why is the price so low? My folks always told me, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. I'd pull up the Merc's history and study it very carefully if I were you, in addition to taking her in for a check-up. That's only if you're really serious about it though and if you're ok with the much higher service costs. How many more than the Jetta is it? And why would the owner be selling it at such a heavy loss in such a short span of time? This dal seems just a little bit kaala, although it is very, very tempting if everything checks out.

My suggestion: Go for the Jetta minus the dealer's sunroof. If you're still swayed by the 3 pointed star, please study it very closely before going in for it. Personally, I wouldn't go for the Merc but you really have to see it yourself and check everything out before passing an informed verdict on it. If you want to go with one of the big 3, BMW is my pick because of BSI, which makes everything so hassle-free. The latest gen 3 won't come cheap in the used car market though.
iliketurtles is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 13:14   #102
BHPian

Quote:

What what what?Hold on...which blue are we talking of here? The Octavia's Race Blue or the Blue that comes with the Jetta in the US?
I just found this image on Google, Absolutely Stunning i must say!!

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-autoexpo2014140psvolkswagenjetta2.0tdi5.jpg
Old 11th April 2014, 13:15   #103
Senior - BHPian

Yup, that's Tempest Blue if I remember correctly. VB-San spotted one in Singapore too and said it's gorgeous.
Old 11th April 2014, 13:53   #104
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reverts and the astute observations.

As far as the Blue colour goes - did not see it in person, but the dealer said it is being made available. Will check on which one is it exactly.

At the Auto expo in Feb, I did see a Blue Jetta on display - looked gorgeous. Hope it is the same one here. At that time the VW chaps said, the blue will not be available in India.

Rehaan's thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...po-2014-a.html

On the C-class: We think alike my friend - "If it is too good to be true...." has been a philosophy for me as well and so I did some detailed questioning. Turns out that the car is owned by an MNC - registered in the company's name. Their some Senior VP had come from Europe and this was his car. He returned to Europe in 6 months and so the company is selling the car. All records seem to be in order.
Old 11th April 2014, 13:58   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you are fine with the rear space in the C this is the car to go for. Is it the Grand edition, the Avantgarde or Elegance? What price is it being offered to you at? Bear in mind you will still be able to get 4th and 5th year warranty and probably even a maintenance package on it. This car will be a league above the Jetta in terms of build quality, refinement and comfort.

The only downside is that a new model is expected towards the end of the year, but look at it this way. All the faults would have been ironed out in this version since its almost at its end, and it should be pretty reliable.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks