Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2014, 01:23   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Where are the cornering lights? I don't see them in the fog light cluster. I saw in moderator Ajmat's car, fog lights would work like cornering lamps.

There was a smaller bulb next to each of the xenons that provided the cornering function, the fog lamps merely amplify the illumination. Will try and get a pic later.
Old 17th August 2014, 01:47   #182
BHPian

Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

I think he means the fog lamps that come on when you are driving below a certain speed, while turning, like when parking.

Anyway, I am unable to source a Bosch unit off ebay, without it getting too expensive. Will have a check around local shops on monday and see if they have a unit by any chance.

I am still confused if the 510 can be used as a drop in plug and play for the 300 plus. I am unable to find anything about the 300 plus system online.
Old 17th August 2014, 01:53   #183
Senior - BHPian

Yup, very possible he did. I'm mildly drowsy, will re-read it in the morning and see if I got it right.

The thread I linked to spoke of it being kind of impossible to upgrade the HU if your car had the RCD300, but a lot of tinkering made it work. It's a very informative thread, do take a look, hope it helps you.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 02:05   #184
BHPian

Had a look at the thread. My guess was that since this is the 300 plus and not the 300, possibly the wiring harness would be similar to the highline, in which case it should not be too difficult.
Old 17th August 2014, 09:20   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
There was a smaller bulb next to each of the xenons that provided the cornering function, the fog lamps merely amplify the illumination. Will try and get a pic later.
Ah this is interesting. So the new light assembly has cornering lights inbuilt. It wasn't the case in pre-xenon Jetta.
Old 18th August 2014, 10:07   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah this is interesting. So the new light assembly has cornering lights inbuilt. It wasn't the case in pre-xenon Jetta.
Yup, certainly seems so! My well below-par photography skills meant I grabbed some truly rubbish photos of the headlight (didn't help that it was raining heavily here!), but I do have one I grabbed off Googal baba that shows what I referred to

Just in line with the Xenon is a smaller bulb. It's not the same bulb as the one in my car, but the idea is the same; it's a static cornering light that comes into play when you turn in either direction. The fog lights were disabled as cornering lights, so now both of them work in tandem to illuminate corners as I turn into them with Schumacher like speed and skill (not really).
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 13:14   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
The Bad

The wife and I were headed over to the car so that we could rendezvous with Cap'n G, when she knocked on the glass and asked me to open the door. I looked at her with puzzlement and did the whole lock/unlock routine again. No dice. I even chanted "Khul jaa simsim". Still no go.

Oops. That hurts. Hope the VW guys get you the replacements soon and things are resolved. Reading these problems makes me more and more paranoid!!

Quote:
I have put a picture of the headlights with parts marked in this post. This is a very useful feature while driving through those hairpin bends at night. This is for static cornering at low speeds. The Xenons also have active cornering for high speeds where the main head light tracks the steering input, always lighting the road ahead. This too is an awesome feature.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 11:10   #188
Senior - BHPian

And so, 18 days after I first reported the door failure to VW, it's been fixed. Let's have a quick overview, else I'll ramble on

What I liked
  • My wife had to become more flexible to climb into the passenger seat. Can only be a good thing
  • It got fixed for all of Rs. 0. Duh.

What I didn't like
  • I could walk to Aurangabad and get the part in less time than VW took to deliver it
  • Had to chase everyone to get updates
  • Embarrassing situations with valets!
  • I reported the failure on the 16th, the part got ordered only on the 22nd

VW and Tornado was very lackadaisical through all this and it makes me wonder what kind of a service experience I'd be in for out of the warranty period. Aside from my wife's enhanced flexibility, I don't really see many positives I can draw from the experience.

Ah well, at least the door is now fixed. Good times are here again. Yay.
Old 4th September 2014, 11:43   #189
Team-BHP Support

Nice. Took a while eh?

What exactly went wrong? The electronic door lock actuator? Did the service center give you the defective part?
Old 4th September 2014, 12:47   #190
Senior - BHPian

Yup, took its own sweet time getting fixed. Seemed like ages!

It was the door lock module that had failed, specifically it's actuator. I was actually debating ordering the part from Germany myself at one point, was quite fed up with things. I'm not one for patience

I didn't get the failed part back from VW. The wifey went to pick up the car, I probably wouldn't have asked for it even if I had gone. Doubt they'd return it too. In any case, all's well that ends well.
Old 5th September 2014, 10:44   #191
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't the VCDS mods void the Electrical Warranty on the Car ?
Old 5th September 2014, 10:56   #192
Senior - BHPian

Not really. They're not mods as much as they're the unlocking of features already built into the car. Besides, the service staff wouldn't even notice these changes at the time of giving the car in for servicing. There are a great many VAG car owners who get these mods done, some even get their engine remapped. Don't remember it being an issue with anyone in terms of voiding the warranty.

Shouldn't be an issue with your warranty, if that's what you're thinking. Your Octy too is very moddable, look into it and you'll find that it can be very rewarding to unlock your car's full potential
Old 5th September 2014, 12:55   #193
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully the A.S.S folks wouldn't bother poking their nose around too much.
Yes all VAG cars are very modable, something to consider in the future
Old 8th September 2014, 21:57   #194
BHPian

Guys,

Had a question. The footwell in the Jetta, is it cramped? The dead pedal seems to be small and not enough to cover your foot. Does this bother in city/highway driving?
Old 8th September 2014, 22:49   #195
Senior - BHPian

The footwell isn't cramped if you ask me. The dead pedal isn't big enough for me (my feet are a size 10), but it's no bother when driving in the city or on the highway.

The size of the dead pedal being an issue is such a personal thing though, you really must check it out for yourself to come to an opinion.

Most Viewed