Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 00:22   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

More so the combination of seat, steering and height makes a huge difference to how the foot finally sits on that dead pedal.

For really long rides no dead pedal is big enough. It just shrinks in size the longer you stay in the car.

I have driving with right foot on the seat in open roads at 65kmph cruising, using the speed up speed down buttons as my adjuster. But this on usually lazy roads with no traffic.

For city driving you will hardly get time to use the dead pedal.

Get that seat, steering and overall foot position adjusted which helps you maintain a decent foot angle at the dead pedal.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 17:15   #197
Senior - BHPian

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Had a paint sealant treatment pending at motoshines, so I decided to make best use of a Sunday and set up a date today for the car. Got a comprehensive internal and external cleaning done that cost me Rs. 69xx, but the car was back gleaming and a lot of small scratches ( and one biggish one on the rear bumper) are all gone and the car looks and feels a million bucks. All in all, I'm very happy with the job done. I would have gone with someone like Kamyo, but the water we have in the building isn't best suited to a professional cleaning job.

I'll leave a few pics for your visual pleasure, or as much as my camera skills can induce that.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412509291.803074.jpg

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412509318.715646.jpg

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412509362.602934.jpg

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412509380.622668.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412509335.653267.jpg  

Last edited by iliketurtles : 5th October 2014 at 17:17.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 21:26   #198
BHPian

Karan!

Pics are doing no justice to that lovely color. Please post new set of pictures in proper lighting. Somehow there is a yellowish hue in all the pics.
Old 6th October 2014, 21:28   #199
Senior - BHPian

My photography skills are world class Amar, if by world class you mean absolutely rubbish :P

There were yellow lights setup at the workshop, perhaps that's what came through. Will drag along a better photographer next time and get better pics, because I'm hopelessly poor with a camera!
Old 13th October 2014, 13:11   #200
Senior - BHPian

I drove down to Daman for the weekend and the car crossed 9000 KMS in the process of doing so. There's nothing new or special to report, everything is as it should be. It's a joy to drive, I loved every minute minute, except the ones where I was stuck behind trucks! Why do those mothertruckers love to make us play frogger, zigging and zagging out of traffic?

There was a side effect of it though; since I had to go reasonably slow to stay safe and navigate them, the run into Daman produced some very decent mileage figures, as you can see below.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1413185914.915236.jpg

The run back saw us get some open roads, and I naturally gave it some gun Even so, overall mileage for the entire trip of about 398 kms was a very healthy 15.05 KMPL, measured tankful to tankful. I'm quite happy with that, since I never drove for economy and am sure I could have got better figures if I had put my mind to it. Why would I do that though?

I'll leave you guys with a parting shot of my view for the weekend, nice and lazy as it was.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1413186053.195272.jpg
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 00:30   #201
Senior - BHPian

How time flies when you're busy...

I just clocked up 10000 kms about 2 days back, so I thought I'd quickly sum up my thoughts thus far.

The Good
  • Absolute power corrupts absolutely, so I'm glad it's got just enough power on tap to intoxicate me without scaring me silly.
  • It's got me saying my second favorite word beginning with FU (fun, what were you thinking?) several times in all these months.
  • I've been getting a steady 10.6 kmpl in the city in bumper to bumper traffic, measured tankful to tankful. I'll take that any day.
  • Black looks lovely when it's clean, which is all of 2 minutes.
  • It's as surefooted around corners as a Billy Goat is on a mountain, which means each corner is fun behind the WHEEEEEEEEEEEEL.
  • It's taken the pain out of everyday driving completely and helps me score brownie points since I look forward to each drive fervently. Cross-town drive to come pick you up? No problem baby, I'll be right there. Anything for you.

The Bad
  • Volkswagen took ages to get me a door lock module that shouldn't have failed so early in the first place.
  • The OEM sound system is beginning to sound increasingly average to my decidedly unfinicky ear for music. Uh-oh.
  • Tire noise seems to be a bit higher these days, or am I hearing things?
  • The price for the extended warranty...it costs mucho moolah! But I guess the peace of mind is worth it. Isn't it?
  • I wish it had memory seats, that's one feature I really, really could have used since the wife has taken to the Jetta like a duck to water and she changes EVERYTHING.

The Ugly
  • The car after some dust settles on it. It gets worse in the rains. Yeesh!

So that's that, I'll leave you with a parting shot. Ciao ciao!

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-jatta.png
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 18:37   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
[*]Volkswagen took ages to get me a door lock module that shouldn't have failed so early in the first place.
This looks like a common failure (dry solder on the door actuator PCB/electronics).

My car's rear right door lock has developed the same problem. Actuator has been ordered and I have to go to the Dealership to get it replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
[*]The price for the extended warranty...it costs mucho moolah! But I guess the peace of mind is worth it. Isn't it?
What ever it costs, just have it!!

My car's AC seems to have a major issue. AC grill temperature was measured and found to be above 12 degrees. It could be just a leak or even the compressor. I have to leave my car for a couple of days at the workshop, to get it sorted out!

Luckily car is under warranty. Just can't imagine having such problems with a German car, outside warranty!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 18:42   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
This looks like a common failure (dry solder on the door actuator PCB/electronics).
You won't believe it, but a few days after I got the car back I went to open the drivers door and it just didn't budge. Had to cycle through the lock-unlock mechanism a few times and it opened up luckily, but I've seen enough mentions of it even before you brought up your issue to believe it's quite widespread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
What ever it costs, just have it!!

Just can't imagine having problems with a German car, outside warranty!
Oh absolutely, I completely agree. I'll be picking it up by December for sure.

Hope your AC woes get fully sorted out, fingers crossed!
Old 4th November 2014, 10:08   #204
BHPian

Hey! hope the Jet-set-taah is cruising along well.

What a grippingly written piece! Must tell you i got late for work because i wanted to read on.

Cheers!
Old 4th November 2014, 10:11   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inomad View Post
Hey! hope the Jet-set-taah is cruising along well.

What a grippingly written piece! Must tell you i got late for work because i wanted to read on.

Cheers!

Oh yes, it absolutely is. I reckon I've driven a lot more miles than I needed to simply because I'm enjoying being behind the wheel so much.

Thanks for your kind words, although I don't reckon the boss will take kindly to you being late lol
Old 27th November 2014, 13:23   #206
BHPian

My first comment on TEAM-BHP.
iliketurtles, brilliant review and follow-up. It gave me a lot to think about between the old car to new car phase. And while this phase is almost closing, I've narrowed down to the Jetta over the Octavia purely on the word of Team-BHP and also a personal choice, and also thanks to reviews such as yours, graaja's and various others.
I have a couple of queries.
1. How are the Pirellis dealing, considering you've done a considerable 9000 km with them,, compared to the Michelin Primacy 3ST? I want to go for the Pirellis because apparently the Michelins have softer sidewalls compared to the others. But what about the Pirellis?
2. Where can one source the new flat-bottomed steering wheel with Paddle shifters as a replacement, if one does not have the time to wait for the new Jetta?
vishal.jayakuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 15:17   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
iliketurtles, brilliant review and follow-up. It gave me a lot to think about between the old car to new car phase. And while this phase is almost closing, I've narrowed down to the Jetta over the Octavia purely on the word of Team-BHP and also a personal choice, and also thanks to reviews such as yours, graaja's and various others.
1. How are the Pirellis dealing, considering you've done a considerable 9000 km with them,, compared to the Michelin Primacy 3ST? I want to go for the Pirellis because apparently the Michelins have softer sidewalls compared to the others. But what about the Pirellis?
2. Where can one source the new flat-bottomed steering wheel with Paddle shifters as a replacement, if one does not have the time to wait for the new Jetta?
My $0.02: Please get the 2015 Jetta. At this time of the year, there is very limited upside in getting a 2014 MY. You also get a marginal bump up of 10 BHP for waiting.

Also, word from a friendly dealer is that there are really no new Jetta's around. So please check doubly carefully on the date of manufacture on any "great deal".

Good luck!
Old 27th November 2014, 15:47   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
iliketurtles, brilliant review and follow-up.
Thanks Vishal! Glad you enjoyed reading it

Quote:
I've narrowed down to the Jetta over the Octavia purely on the word of Team-BHP and also a personal choice, and also thanks to reviews such as yours, graaja's and various others.
Solid choice, you can't go wrong with either of them really. The Jetta and Octavia have been popular choices this year, and for good reason too.

Quote:
The Pirellis are doing very decently. I crossed 11111 kms today and noise levels are not too bad, drivability is great as they're slightly performance oriented, but the sidewalls are quite soft. For reference, I had Michelin XM1's on my City before this and only had some puncture issues when nails pierced the tyre tread. They were largely fuss-free tyres. With the P1's, I have had a sidewall bubble, I know not how, and I have been very wary since they didn't honor the warranty for it (as expected). If softer sidewalls are a concern for you, I'd say avoid the P1's. They're great if you drive on good roads though.

Quote:
Check with Vagtune, they might be your best bet. If they don't have it, you'll just have to order it in! It's not that big a deal though, is it? I'd rather spend money on a remap at some point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
My $0.02: Please get the 2015 Jetta. At this time of the year, there is very limited upside in getting a 2014 MY. You also get a marginal bump up of 10 BHP for waiting.
I'd agree with this. The 2015 vintage is not too far away and unless you absolutely want a 2014 one and can get a huge discount (read 2 lakhs or more) on it, I don't think you should go for a 2014 one. DSG's are sold out across the board from what everyone says, so getting big discounts on the manual variants are highly unlikely right now.

Happy shopping, and hold your horses. The 2015 Jetta is almost here!
Old 27th November 2014, 16:00   #209
Senior - BHPian

What combined average are you getting ? Thought i'l compare it to the Laura DSG.

Sorry if you have answered this before , i havnt been through the thread so thought its easier to just ask.
Old 27th November 2014, 16:12   #210
Senior - BHPian

Hiya Platzda. No problem answering, don't think I've mentioned this anywhere in any case. I'm getting a consistent 10.5 KMPL (give or take), always measured tankful to tankful.

The AC is on 100% of the time and most of my driving is done in Andheri East's cesspit of traffic, so you can say it's about 90% city and 10% highway driving, approx.

I haven't measured highway mileage as such, so there's that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks