Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2007, 17:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

@ricky thanks mate bush-kit and mechanical revamp added to list.

@mclaren:clutch I need a stock replacement clutch not performance clutch since car used by dad in city.

@BUSA: after market clutch seems to be a good idea if it's a stock replacament. true black is very difficult but I try my best to maintain. nevertheless there are 2 2" scratches on the door which will be repainted as well.
Old 6th May 2007, 17:06   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Eh , firstly make up your mind on what you intend to do with this car , your future car and what you intend to buy your dad .. I meant a stock replacement clutch from exedy or maybe a slightly better clutch .. Not stage III or 4 puc clutch ..
Old 6th May 2007, 17:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Please don't sell

vid, i would not suggest you sell the car. There is a certain romance about the lancer and it has a timeless poise and beauty, managing to look both muscular and graceful simultaneously.

As Godfather rightly pointed out, the market value of a 7 year old lancer is not much and honestly it would break your heart to watch some young kid ruin it.

Get it fixed. parts are available and repairs can be done. Suspension, clutch paint, these are minor things, in comparison to paying the difference for another car. If you don't repair it, the guy that buys your car will. YOU may as well fix it, spend a little and enjoy this marvellous car.
I say this after buying a brand new Verna. I love that Lancer. What a marvellous car.

Just my 50 paise worth.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 6th May 2007 at 17:09. Reason: Some ridiculous spelling errors
Old 6th May 2007, 17:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wont comment on the technical details,but agree with sam and the rest keep the car provided it is not proving a headache to you in terms of maintainance[costs+spare parts and things like that].

Its my personal opinion that lancer is one of those cars if well maintained certainly hides its age.
Old 6th May 2007, 17:51   #20
Team-BHP Support

I have a feeling that you're looking for excuses to sell this car. After this thread reaches around 50 post..you'll show this to your father and push him to go for Civic.

I may be totally wrong but you know, often old people think like these.

Going by your first post I don't see any reason why those cannot be fixed.
Old 6th May 2007, 18:11   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
vid, i would not suggest you sell the car. There is a certain romance about the lancer and it has a timeless poise and beauty, managing to look both muscular and graceful simultaneously.

As Godfather rightly pointed out, the market value of a 7 year old lancer is not much and honestly it would break your heart to watch some young kid ruin it.

Get it fixed. parts are available and repairs can be done. Suspension, clutch paint, these are minor things, in comparison to paying the difference for another car. If you don't repair it, the guy that buys your car will. YOU may as well fix it, spend a little and enjoy this marvellous car.
I say this after buying a brand new Verna. I love that Lancer. What a marvellous car.

Just my 50 paise worth.
Thank you Sam. What you have told is the exact thing I was looking for. I am not planning on selling anytime soon. The car will remain in tip top stock condition as I too love the car and so does my dad.

Rahul_intlad, the car is not provoding me any major problems just a few things which need to be looked into. I'm sure I wont have to worry once I get these things fixed.

Rudraji, I dont have any plans in selling the car, I'm against selling it and so is my dad. At an age of 67 he still loves driving the car and keeps telling how nice it is to drive even after 7yrs. We still fight for the keys.

As you said all the problems can be fixed. but since the HM guys are incompetent I thought I would tell them exactly what I needed rather than them misleading me. that's why started the thread.

I think my first post created a stir. guys I am not selling the car anytime soon. It will remain for sometime that's why I created this thread in the technical section and not the what car section.

thanks for all your inputs keep them coming.

Sam I had mentioned speeds in respective gears are those similar to yours?

I'm seeing if there is loss in drive due to weak clutch that's why asked that.
Old 6th May 2007, 18:14   #22
BHPian

Vid!!! I second SAM!!!
Dont sell your car "Black Magic"

Lancer carries its own charm!! Don't think of letting it go!!!
Old 7th May 2007, 14:46   #23
Team-BHP Support

Just going to give the car to the HM guys. Over phone they have told symptoms are only of clutch and they haven't opened a single gearbox till date.

I'm planning on insisting on injector cleaning. I dont think i need to go for engine decarb.

Lets see what they say. will keep all updated.
Old 7th May 2007, 15:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Pleaseeee do not tamper with the gear box, I am pretty certain there is nothing wrong with it.
cheers
I like to say i told you so, but i will refrain.
I had a pretty bad experience with a MASS when they suspected my M-1000 gearbox & seeing nothing is wrong, simply reassembled & still charged me. Of course, i made sure they came on their knees. Dont even mention anything about gearbox problems with the service guys, no matter how well known or good they are, everyone wants to know whats inside & how it is stripped & assembled.
Old 7th May 2007, 15:36   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Vidyut,

Just ensure you dont give them a blank cheque and your thumb impression on it.
Old 7th May 2007, 15:48   #26
BHPian

well mine is 6 yrs old 60k and apart form the physical sings of age and a lil rattling it is working well i had thought of selling it aswell but looking at the market price of a 6 yr old lancer decided against it
the avg i get is 12-13 with 100% ac in delhi traffic
Old 7th May 2007, 17:56   #27
elf
BANNED

vid, just saw this thread.

Over half your problems were / are mine.

I suggest you stick to the official service centers for Mitsubishi, as I am planning to. Their pricing on parts & labour is superb, & it doesn't make sense to ruin your service history for a coupla grand here or there. Also, you can't beat their experience.

I have an aftermarket clutch installed from Valeo Performance. Cost me around 4k including all taxes & labour, installed at my garage. Get the same clutch, but ask your A.S.S. guys if they'll install it for you. You'll be happy.
Old 7th May 2007, 18:12   #28
BHPian

Vid,

from the clutch problems you seem to describe I have a feeling it is the slave cylinder that is acting up. Your plate seems ok, so I dont think that needs a change. Also since the pedal seems heavy, hae the release bearing changed, that should get things back to normal.

Wouldnt recomend selling the car cause you wont even get 3 lakhs for it. When your father gets himself another car and this one becomes your you can think of modding it.

With regards to suspension, I would recomend a change of all the rubber. This is known to wear out. HM, however does not sell bush kits alone and therfore a suspension overhaul works out very expensive. The rubber bush kit (japanese) is available after market.

Use another engine flush. I use OWS and it works wonder. Also suggest you shif t over to synthetic lube. It will make a difference.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 7th May 2007, 18:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have an aftermarket clutch installed from Valeo Performance. Cost me around 4k including all taxes & labour, installed at my garage. Get the same clutch, but ask your A.S.S. guys if they'll install it for you. You'll be happy.[/quote]

@elf

Just for my understanding How is the Valeco Performance (or any other brand) better than the OE clutch. Is it longevity ? Or is it drag spec ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 7th May 2007 at 18:41.
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2007, 18:42   #30
elf
BANNED

No man Ricky. It's price & availability are the 'better' factors over the OE clutch. One may be better than the other, I don't know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks