Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2008, 14:27   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Insane,

Have you checked out the new A4 ?
Yeah Rishaan, the new A4 looks to be all new with many enhancements. Not sure what exactly they are but hopefully with a latest engine at least
Old 13th July 2008, 14:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

insane,

if you can wait for 6 more months then wait and buy the new superb.

that car is going to be the benchmark (except the engine).

If you want a upgrade from the laura i guess the best bet will be the A 4 or the Merc C class.

cheers,
AC
Old 13th July 2008, 18:35   #108
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
you have a point. i do not have any false notions about the greatness of Laura :-)

but this is my personal opinion. i am not really into 'power' so for the 100kmph speeds i do Laura is more than adequate. it is 70-80kmph if I am with family.

what i am interested in is creature comforts and safety. badge value is proportional to the money you pay (there is no other criteria for badge value, IMHO)

things i would like to have in my next upgrade:
>better overall safety rating
>all seats electrically adjustable
>electric sun blinds for at least rear and rear-side windows as i don't like sun film
>boot lid that opens/closes fully with remote
>state-of-the art ICE (dvd, bluetooth, ipod, internet, gps, etc.)
>bi-xenons
>better parking sensors
>bigger (panorama) sun roof
... there are more but these will do for now ;-)
Androdev,

You are so right. If the increase in power does not flick your switch then its really difficult to decide what you would want in an upgrade from the Laura. Like you without any "false notions about the greatness of Laura :-)", I think the upgrades -A4/3/5/C/E, would be probably smoother, quieter, larger[not an 'upgrade' for me atleast on Bangy roads] etc but WRT gizmos you wont get much more.

In what way do you find the parking sensors inadequate? 6 DVD changer with MP3 would be fantastic - does something like this exist at all?

And like you I am also not planning an immediate upgrade but its fun to read, see and dream ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Classic dilemma, androdev. It only highlights the fact that once you own a 15 - 20 lakh sedan (Laura, Accord etc.), any car from the segment above will have a lower cost / benefits ratio. An upgrade to the Benz / Beemer / Audi segments is more for intangible benefits than any else.

Ajmat, do you remember this interesting discussion (Impact of electronics on reliability) we had in 2004?
GTO,

Thats a nice way of putting it "lower cost/benefit ratio" and its so apt.

Last edited by deepakvrao : 13th July 2008 at 18:36.
Old 13th July 2008, 18:49   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Hey guys,
Jus going thru some old posts in this forum (testdrives of jetta and passat in 2005 in the US), i was so shocked to see that the current PASSAT and the JETTA sold/to be sold in India are of 2005 model! ugh!
!
Excuse me, but we are getting exactly what the rest of the world gets but the price and positioning is questionable
Old 14th July 2008, 11:03   #110
BHPian

Hey crazy,

Nah didnt yet,as the car has not come to hyderabad showroom. It has just been launched in Delhi, and the display car will reach at the dealer here on around 20th. So still waiting for it.
Old 14th July 2008, 11:15   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,
Jus going thru some old posts in this forum (testdrives of jetta and passat in 2005 in the US), i was so shocked to see that the current PASSAT and the JETTA sold/to be sold in India are of 2005 model! ugh!

Paying 28lks for the 2005 model Passat! VW gotta be jokin! in that way, While i did know the Toureag is of 2001/2 make! Shame on them to give us such old piece of S***! What does VW think we indians are? idiots?
VW was not doing business in India in 2005! As soon as they entered the Indian market last year they launched the Passat. You can't hold them guilty for not launching their latest cars over here when they were not present in our market!
Old 14th July 2008, 15:14   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
In what way do you find the parking sensors inadequate?
There are some inexpensive after market kits that offer camera, distance-to-object, etc. features. TBH, the stock unit is well integrated, but simply can not bail you out of the many day-to-day parking situations in Bangalore. It expects 30cm minimum safe distance?
Old 14th July 2008, 17:13   #113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
There are some inexpensive after market kits that offer camera, distance-to-object, etc. features. TBH, the stock unit is well integrated, but simply can not bail you out of the many day-to-day parking situations in Bangalore. It expects 30cm minimum safe distance?
Yup the 30cm is the only issue for me - otherwise the ability to differentaite front from back sensors and the change in pitch/tone is very nice. My dad has an accord with the camera gizmo and I honestly find this better than camera alone.Maybe camera WITH sensors would be nicer.
Old 15th July 2008, 22:58   #114
BHPian

@ Ajmat :
Ajmat, not only the price and positioning, but also the Timing is equally questionable.

@ Amit: VW entered late, and is priced its cars extremely high, then in that case, they should have updated their cars at the right time, as they want to show themselves as a luxury brand in India. AS the Passat is a CBU, they should have upgraded it with the Passat CC as soon as they came out with it, so to give India something new from their stable. Same goes with the Jetta. The problem is, the year model of passat is 2005, but in India, they start the counting from 2007-2008. So they will upgrade the car here equally late. that is what i hate, abt VW. With the current lineup of AGING vehicles - Passat, Toureg, and Jetta now, the should have given us the Passat CC and the Tiguan by now. that would have earned them more respect, i reckon. Else, the Passat is no doubt a first class car, just that it is going to be phased out soon all over the world, while the will continue selling it here. If they dont change it for the next 3 years, i for one, wouldnt mind buying it now, so that atleast for the next 3 years, my car is not outdated.

@ Androdev, mate, its just a matter of judgement. Indian conditions, the 30cm is a big thing! In Laura, it clearly shows u graphically how close to the object u are, when a final big bar comes in front of your car diagram with a continious alarm (instead of beeping) then u know its exactly 30 cms from there, now its upto you how good u can judge and take it further. I always take it a lil further from the final warning bell, and till now havnt hit the object. need getting used to.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:28   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ Ajmat :
Ajmat, not only the price and positioning, but also the Timing is equally questionable.

With the current lineup of AGING vehicles - Passat, Toureg, and Jetta now, .

Timing? yes VW are late, so are BMW, the 3 and 5 came out 2003 and 2005before or around the same time as the Passat (2005) so I suppose these are aging also! The Passat CC has only been released on sale globally, considering the low volumes, you cannot expect instant releases out here.

You also need to consider the management focus. There is more to be gained by focussing on the factory coming up on schedule and launching relatively volume cars as opposed to gearing up on a niche low volume seller. Chances are, with the factory, they can assemble the Tiggy and bring the price down.
Old 16th July 2008, 11:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is, the year model of passat is 2005, but in India, they start the counting from 2007-2008. So they will upgrade the car here equally late. that is what i hate, abt VW. With the current lineup of AGING vehicles - Passat, Toureg, and Jetta
If the Passat is aging then so is the BMW 3 and 5. Besides, forget the diesel, the Passat does not come with DSG in the A/T capital of the world, North America, but VW have the DSG as standard in the Indian Passat.
Old 16th July 2008, 14:56   #117
BHPian

Well i am just thinking about putting my money on it... when will they scrap this model? if they run it for the next 3 years, then i am happy atleast my car is not outdated as soon as i bought it!

@Amit, yes, taht is one thing i greatly appreciate of VW to have launched all diesel automatics!
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:14   #118
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

Paying 28lks for the 2005 model Passat! VW gotta be jokin! in that way, While i did know the Toureag is of 2001/2 make! Shame on them to give us such old piece of S***! What does VW think we indians are? idiots?

Well, this is surely to be scrapped any moment now, so there is no way i would place my money on it!

a model launched one year late, is well accepted here, as it would still be quiet futuristic in India, for Indian conditions, and due to the Indian automobile laws about homologations and stuff. But 3-6 years old model being launched as LUXURY! thats heights!
Quote:
Now VW really knows how to degrade a car or should i say play around with ppl's money! imagine paying 6 lakhs extra for just a few things extra! With the CRDi engined passat out by Diwali @ 20lk ex showroom - 22lk OnRoad, (THIS IS MANUAL SHIFTING!) the Passat Highline DSG S model loses all its charm paying 28lk for a 22lk car. And above that, the CRDi engine is going to be more better than the current engine too! The current engine has a very bad turbo lag as of now. When u peddle down the accelerator, it waits for a couple of seconds, takes the rpm above 2500, and then shoots like a rocket! the turbo lag is felt Drastically, which forces one to engage the lower gears via paddle shift, and make this car run!

NOw if the passat is going to be sold around 22lk, there aint much worth paying 28lk for a fully loaded model, i think. Even the 4 lk extra they charging between the current 2 models, is just not worth it. All u get extra is :
1. Automatic Seats (its so BS! giving all manual seats in the 24lk version!!! so this cant be compromised, coz else it would spoil the whole charm of buying a luxury car!)
2. Paddle Shift (can pretty well do without it! not an everyday use!)
3. Xenon lamps, ( can pretty well do without it)
4. Front Parking sensors! (worth rs.4,000 in reality in aftermarket)

God knows what else they will strip out in the base 20lk model! what i think is the following:
1, No Leather seats
2, No Automatic, (automatic base model will be out after some time)
3, Basic Audio System,
4, NO rear window automatic sunscreen
5, NO rear door suncreens
6, No Parking sensors
6, Well, the 24lk model anyway doesnt have much in it, so there isnt much left to strip it further!

What a waste! This is getting so frustrating, that i think now if the new A4 doesnt come up my liking, in means of features and pricing, then i might as well keep the Tucson for another year or so forgetting about buying a new car now, so that would cool my frustration and take my mind off buying a new car! really sad to see indians being taken as S**T when it comes to the choices, or rather lack of choices offered to the Indian consumers, and the way these companies RIP us off our money for things sold half the price other side of the world! argh!

Just for info... VW has finally understood that it cant have its way when it comes to Diesel technology. It has finally dumped its Pump Duse technology, and has started the production of CRDi diesel engines. The 2.lt engine seein the the Passat is the last PD engine created by VW. All future engines will be on CRDi tech only.

One last thing..
From past one week the Laura is with me as my dad's away. Driving it all the time from past one week, and having been looking for a new car for myself in place of my Tucson. Last night i was having a fantastic time driving the Laura as the roads were quiet empty, and that time, i really took time to FEEL the car, its power, It makes me think that rather, i should just go and buy one more Laura, for myself!!! The features are very high, the comfort is great! (compared to A4/320D as only the front seats are good in these! and Passat wherein the front seats are same in dimensions as in the Laura) Now there is not a single complain i have with the Laura. If forced to complain of some lack of feature, i would say the Paddle Shifts and the Electronic Parking Brake! thats the most i can say! as nothing else is lacking in this car, that u need! If only the Laura vRS would launch now,then i would actually go in for that! 170bhp of power! much more powerful than the Passat/320d/A4

I was just reading your posts and how you try to justify that your laura is much better than the Passat Highline 2.0T DSG.

Last edited by GTO : 4th September 2009 at 13:38. Reason: Absolutely no personal attacks on this board
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:40   #119
v10
BHPian

Reporting back to the thread: Done 40K Kms and everything is great.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: VW Passat Diesel DSG ...-img_6989.jpg  

Driven: VW Passat Diesel DSG ...-img_6990.jpg  

Driven: VW Passat Diesel DSG ...-img_6992.jpg  

Driven: VW Passat Diesel DSG ...-img_6997.jpg  

Driven: VW Passat Diesel DSG ...-img_6996.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2009, 13:34   #120
Senior - BHPian

Very nice pics. That's a stately looking car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks