Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:54   #121
BHPian

I bought a new Passat on 27th last month

I just bought a new Passat on 27th.Before I bought it I had joined two passat forums one UK based and one USA based.The passat which VW selling in india is the latest one,with crdi 2L engine and RD 510 touch screen cd changer. Passat cc is a different car.In 2010 Passat will come with a new model which will be sold only in china and USA.2011 end there will be new passat for all other countries.Passat is not a CBU in India.It is assembled from CKD kits from Brazil and Mexico in skoda factory at aurangabad.It may not have a big brand name from strugart or munich,it is as good or even better built and VFM than benz C class or BMW 3 series.
Old 4th September 2009, 13:40   #122
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasant3 View Post
I just bought a new Passat on 27th.
Out of curiousity, did you consider the new Superb as well? It beats the Passat in nearly each area, be it space, trim level or road dynamics. Yes, the Passat's diesel engine is better but the Superb has a stonking petrol.

Or was it Skoda's reputation that made you switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10 View Post
Reporting back to the thread: Done 40K Kms and everything is great.
Nice pictures! Very well maintained.
Old 4th September 2009, 16:53   #123
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Out of curiousity, did you consider the new Superb as well? It beats the Passat in nearly each area, be it space, trim level or road dynamics. Yes, the Passat's diesel engine is better but the Superb has a stonking petrol.

Or was it Skoda's reputation that made you switch?

Nice pictures! Very well maintained.
Well i am a big fan of the NEW superb and love the car in white. But as much as i love it, I would rather drive the relatively 'smaller and more city-friendly' passat than the superb.

If i wanted one car only in my garage, i would most probably lean to the superb side but since we already have a few other cars in the garage, in terms of drivability and agility the passat seems perfect for the city. Both cars have different appeals.

Skoda wouldnt want to eat VW's market and vice versa.

Last edited by v10 : 4th September 2009 at 16:55.
Old 4th September 2009, 17:11   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10 View Post
Well i am a big fan of the NEW superb and love the car in white. But as much as i love it, I would rather drive the relatively 'smaller and more city-friendly' passat than the superb.

If i wanted one car only in my garage, i would most probably lean to the superb side but since we already have a few other cars in the garage, in terms of drivability and agility the passat seems perfect for the city. Both cars have different appeals.

Skoda wouldnt want to eat VW's market and vice versa.
Why would you term the Passat more city friendly than the new Superb? If i'm not mistaken the passat is bigger than the superb. I now find the superb much easier to play around in traffic compared to the BMW. Even the Accord feels too wide at times for traffic, the superb is big but easier to manage for me. On the other hand my Altis now feels like a toy on the few occasion I take it out to super crowded places.
Old 4th September 2009, 21:54   #125
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Why would you term the Passat more city friendly than the new Superb? If i'm not mistaken the passat is bigger than the superb. I now find the superb much easier to play around in traffic compared to the BMW. Even the Accord feels too wide at times for traffic, the superb is big but easier to manage for me. On the other hand my Altis now feels like a toy on the few occasion I take it out to super crowded places.
Exactly the feeling i get after switching over from the Camry. This is a much better handling & smaller car.
No they are more or less the same size.

Then you need to drive a passat as it should feel even easier to drive than your superb and that is one of the reasons which makes it city friendly. Moreover its a diesel and returns an FE of around, 10 - 13 approx. so running costs are much better too.

But this discussion is utterly useless. Apples to oranges. Its like comparing your 525 with a e280. If you're a serious enthusiast then you will get the different appeals of each car that i'm talking about.

Last edited by v10 : 4th September 2009 at 21:57.
Old 5th September 2009, 13:35   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Passat is not a CBU in India.It is assembled from CKD kits from Brazil and Mexico in skoda factory at aurangabad.
Congrats on your new car! Are you sure about the CKD kits coming from Mexico and Brazil? It's the Jetta kits that come from Mexico.
Old 7th September 2009, 09:15   #127
BHPian

CKD kits

According to VW mumbai office and VW downtown mumbai dealer Passat kits are from Brazil and Mexico and Jetta kits from Germany.
Old 7th September 2009, 09:42   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
According to VW mumbai office and VW downtown mumbai dealer Passat kits are from Brazil and Mexico and Jetta kits from Germany.
I think it is the other way round. Jetta comes from Mexico .Mexico is the sole supplier of Jatta's globally
Old 7th September 2009, 10:45   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Jetta comes from Mexico .Mexico is the sole supplier of Jatta's globally
I agree with Ajmat. Even in North America, Passat's and Rabbit's come from Germany while Jetta and Beetle come from Mexico.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:17   #130
BHPian

According to VW western india sales mgr.Passat CKD kits are from Brazil(chasis from Mexico).May be from China?VW is big in china.The RCD 510 touchscreen cd changer is from china(made by Blaupunkt),Pirreli tyres are made in china.Bixenon headlights assembly by osram are made in china.I also saw made in china logo on wiper blades(must be OE from Bosch).
Old 16th September 2009, 12:39   #131
BHPian

Lads,

The point between Skoda and VW lies in their respective appeal, possibly to two distinct sets of people. The VW is the mainstream brand globally, whereas the Skoda is the budget brand. To potential buyers in the affluent West, the appeal of the Skoda lies in VFM, whereas in India Skoda is perceived to be ( if not a luxury brand) an executive class car.
I may be wrong, but the difference between these two is that the quality benchmarks are slightly different and VW possibly has first right of refusal to the goodies that the VW R&D offers ( DSG boxes and so on are introduced first in the VW globally).

I'd finally say that the Passat is an understated car as compared to the big three ( 3 series, A4 & C class).

By the way, has anyone any idea of the launch of the Passat CC in India? AutoCar India ran a story in its Jan 2009 edition- seems an interesting car, except that they have to make the driving dynamics more enthusiastic ( more like the 3 series) to wean potential buyers from the 3 series/A4/CLS...nice looking though.
Old 9th April 2012, 15:32   #132

Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Hi
This is my first post to the forum. Moderator please let me know if this should perhaps go to another thread.

I have been car hunting for sometime and we were considering sedans in the 18 - 20 Lakh range. Evaluated the Skoda Laura and the Chevy Cruze, and were almost on the verge of deciding on the Laura. We got a suggestion to look at a second hand passat, and that's where the love story begins.

The car had done just 14,500 km and was an August 2009 model. Owner was an elderly gentleman who would drive this car himself. Never exceeded 100 KMPH !

This got us excited and we went to have a look at the car. It was love at first sight. All black outside and beige interiors.. positive vibes, highline variant with sunroof, electric leather seats, and a pretty good music system got us excited and the test drive was the icing on the cake. The car is superb in terms of road presence and stability. DSG gearbox gets you going and you do not even realize when you are in the 6th gear. Tried the kick-down function and got pulled into my seat !!
Decided to proceed with the buy!
Day 1 was pretty much spent in taking the car for some TLC.. (Tender Loving Care), castrol pit stop for a nice wash and wax. The car came out glittering. this was followed by pooja at a near by temple.

Then took out the huge book on the operating instructions and it took a good four hours of pouring over pages and pages of functionality. Next day was of course a nice long drive.

* Hill Hold
* Cornering headlamps

Wish it had
* Better ground clearance. We have suspension breakers in Bangalore
* Better AC
* Bluetooth Phone connectivity

Still trying to figure out:-
* How do you program the key per user for seat
* how do you program the mirrors to go down when you kick into reverse gear

Any suggestions or guidance is welcome.

Regards
Tushar
Tusharchitra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 19:37   #133
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusharchitra View Post
Hi

* how do you program the mirrors to go down when you kick into reverse gear
Here's a link to where I had described working the mirrors to tilt - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2415760
aghosht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 18:55   #134

Re: Driven: VW Passat Diesel DSG ...

Firstly Thank you aghosht for your guidance it worked perfectly.

Secondly an additional question..
being black the car really warms up pretty quickly. I have been contemplating getting sunfilm installed. The person I went to indicated that they need to take out the compete door molding and only then can they install the sun film. Has anyone tried to get sun film installed in their passat and is this the way to do this? Any suggestions on a good place in Bangalore to get decent sun film installed? I want something which will prevent the heat but not something which will reduce visibility.
Old 2nd July 2012, 01:10   #135

Re: Driven: VW Passat Diesel DSG ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusharchitra View Post
Firstly Thank you aghosht for your guidance it worked perfectly.

Secondly an additional question..
being black the car really warms up pretty quickly. I have been contemplating getting sunfilm installed. The person I went to indicated that they need to take out the compete door molding and only then can they install the sun film. Has anyone tried to get sun film installed in their passat and is this the way to do this? Any suggestions on a good place in Bangalore to get decent sun film installed? I want something which will prevent the heat but not something which will reduce visibility.
Hi Tushar,

Would you mind sharing how much you paid for your Passat. I'm looking at a similar deal in Mumbai and need some reference points.

Pl also share your detailed experience with the car so far, both good and not so good!

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks