Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2007, 15:57   #1
BHPian

An Aveo 1.4 Review

Initial Impression - 100 kms driven

Exterior:

The colour of my car is Cashmere and it looks pretty handsome in this shade. Have seen quite a few Aveos in the colour lately. The build quality is
good and the doors being resaonably heavy close with a resounding thud. Overall the car looks and feel quite solid.

Interiors:

I must say that the interior of the car is indeed one of the best in the class, if not the best. The quality of the plastics used is very good when compared to the other cars in its segment (Ikon, Logan, SX4) that I considered before buying. The dual tone interiors (black and beige) give the car a classy look. The new speedometer/tachometer cluster looks fantastic at night with a combination of green backlight and glowing red dials.
Space is generous with enough room to stretch your legs in the front as well as at the back. I would say, its similar to the Honda City, maybe an inch less.

Performance (Engine, Gearbox, Brakes, AC, Suspension):

Engine - The engine feels very silet when turned on and unlike the 1.6 logan that i tested sometime back, there is no vibration felt through the gear stick. The engine feels very smooth as the car gains momentum and the smoothness is retained as you move to higher gears. It definitely feels smoother than the Zen and Baleno.
Since the car is new, I have not pushed it beyond 2500 rpm in any gear and have only reached to 80-85 kms/hr on the DND Flyway.
The torque is very good and the car has no problem going at 35-40 kms in the 4th gear. The engine pulls well and is quite eager to respond the accelerator.
But the car does feel a litle sluggish below 1800 rpm in the 2nd gear with the AC on, however, once the needle moves above 2000 rpm, the engine feels eager to move ahead. I have read that this is a VGIS characteristic but I am a tad disappointed with this behaviour. Will report this when I take it for the 1st checkup after 1000 kms.

Gearbox - The new gearbox is much better that the previous one. The shift quality is much improved with the movements being direct. The earlier shifts were vague and notchy. So, I feel GM has done a reasonably good job with the gear box which was much needed.

Brakes- I feel that there is slight vibrations when I try to decelerate from a reletively high speed. I am not sure if its a problem with all aveos or its just the case with my car. Otherwise brakes are quite effective. I guess the 185/60 Bridgestone Turanza also support the brakes pretty well.

Air conditioning - is up to the mark and one can feel the chill very soon. I would say that the effectiveness of the AC can be compared to my baleno which is saying quite a lot.

Suspension - The suspension does a very good job of soaking the uneven roads and potholes of the city. The gas filled shockers are more silent than my friends Fiesta. Overall, they perform up to my expectations.

Fuel Efficiency:

Haven’t calculated the mileage yet. Got it filled (auto cut) yesterday, so will report about her drinking habits soon.

Overall:

I am very happy with the car. Will post more updates and I dive it more.

Arup
Old 14th August 2007, 16:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

Arup, good that your enjoying the car. Do post some pics of the car too. That would help make the review more complete,
Old 14th August 2007, 16:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just saw one with the same color as yours. Aveo does looks great inside /outside. If only the engine/gearshift problam was sorted earlier by GM it could have done better sales.

Does it also come with Hankook tyres as the one I saw has those on it.
Old 14th August 2007, 16:36   #4

Hey arup
That was quite comprehensive and congrats on your new car buddy.Aveo is better VFM compared to other cars in this segment.Do post some pictures.Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences

--Kumar--
Old 14th August 2007, 17:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Just saw one with the same color as yours. Aveo does looks great inside /outside. If only the engine/gearshift problem was sorted earlier by GM it could have done better sales.

Does it also come with Hankook tyres as the one I saw has those on it.
I Agree.

AFAIK the initial lot of Aveos had Goodyear footware but now all Aveos I suppose come with Turanza.
Old 14th August 2007, 17:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Arup, good that your enjoying the car. Do post some pics of the car too. That would help make the review more complete,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar25rs View Post
Hey arup
That was quite comprehensive and congrats on your new car buddy.Aveo is better VFM compared to other cars in this segment.Do post some pictures.Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences

--Kumar--
Thanks, did not get time to take snaps, holiday coming up so I'll post pics soon.
Old 14th August 2007, 22:19   #7
BHPian

Nice review Arup.

The sluggishness below 1800 rpm is due to VGIS and I dont think you would manage to fix it during service. I got used to it now and doesn't appear a problem to me anymore.

One additional change in the new Aveo is the rear seat arm rest with cup holders.

I am getting FE of 11 in city and 16.8 on highway.

Nirmal

Nirmal
Old 15th August 2007, 20:46   #8
BHPian

Pictures

Will post more soon.
Old 16th August 2007, 12:44   #9
BHPian

Arup superb pics and dashing looks good choice mate. Enjoy your car and lets know where ever u need our suggestions
Old 16th August 2007, 12:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamy450 View Post
Arup superb pics and dashing looks good choice mate. Enjoy your car and lets know where ever u need our suggestions
Thanks Kamy, would appreciate if you could comment on my take on the Brakes of the car. Did/does you car have the same issue?
Old 16th August 2007, 13:03   #11
BHPian

yeah initially i faced a bit problem in barkes but later on say after 10 days when i covered 1000 kms i felt its gone and same was toldto me by Service centre folks
Old 16th August 2007, 13:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamy450 View Post
yeah initially i faced a bit problem in barkes but later on say after 10 days when i covered 1000 kms i felt its gone and same was toldto me by Service centre folks
Okay, i hope mine gets okay too. I have also seen that when the car is on a slope (downhill) the brakes kind of make a screeching noise when I gradually release them.
Old 16th August 2007, 13:15   #13
BHPian

Congats Dude ! I love the looks of Aveo.

Is this the new one with improved interiors that GM launched last week. I was made to understand that Chevy has improved on the plastics, Gear box and better NVH insulation.

Also initial 1.4 s never had the chrome strip at the rear, only 1.6 had -
(rear garnish sort). was it an extra fitment?
Old 16th August 2007, 13:16   #14
BHPian

ok then u gotta see your Service station and let them know on this, Probably disk alignment issue.
Old 16th August 2007, 13:17   #15
BHPian

Teddy?

Hey Arup, Beautiful car! Does the teddy placed inside the car come as freebie with Chevy cars? I have seen it in many Aveos and Optras. Pl clarify..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks