Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 19:11   #1966
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 50k kms Update Page 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
... Can it be possible that there is water in a new fuel filter that has gone 2K Kms? Also is it a DIY to have that drained or do I have to go to MASS again.
Depends entirely on the fuel you buy. Perfectly possible there could be water in the filter the next day!

Actually... how often do people experience actual water-in-fuel-filter? I imagine that there must be times when we take on water contaminated fuel, and that, mostly, the water sits at the bottom of our tank below the feed pipe?
Old 13th June 2011, 19:30   #1967
Team-BHP Support

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 50k kms Update Page 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEHU View Post
From the day 1 I got the vehicle back from MSM service station after the overhaul, the vehicle seems to have some issues in the transmission.
You should not have accepted the vehicle!! Especially since its a major and expensive job, dealer will try to push it to you but unless you have something in written from them, you should not buy their excuses.

Now that you have an issue, no other way but to escalate up, so that it gets the attention of MUL and they provide some help. Start by insisting on a meeting with the regional service engineer from MUL. His contacts will be available at dealership reception OR insist on getting the same for you to fix an appointment next time he visits the area.
Old 13th June 2011, 20:57   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Depends entirely on the fuel you buy. Perfectly possible there could be water in the filter the next day!

Actually... how often do people experience actual water-in-fuel-filter? I imagine that there must be times when we take on water contaminated fuel, and that, mostly, the water sits at the bottom of our tank below the feed pipe?
So very true.
I generally fill fuel from the same pump and all my cars are filled there only. The only thing I can think of is that as it is start of rains here, there might have been some water seepage into the tanks (very less probability but still possible) and that lead to "Water in Fuel filter".

Post saturday, I havent seen that sign illuminate again. Have already crossed 100 kms post that. Do you guys still think, I should pay a visit to MASS or wait for it to come on again.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:53   #1969
BHPian

^^ get it checked from MASS. It may be water in the filter or some problem with the water sensor (loose connection).
Old 14th June 2011, 09:21   #1970
BHPian

@f1fan. Did you clear the codes after replacing the battery ?
I did my 40K service just few weeks back. While servicing i was with my car all the time. Removing and Draining the Diesel Filter is quite tough. Mech. couldnt find appropriate space to remove it so he put it on hydraulic ramp. So as jaggu suggested visit MASS.

@Eddy. mech. got 2 bottle(IIRC it was 750 ml.) of coolant and 3 distilled water bottle(1 ltr). Later after pouring all the coolant and water he poured 1 more distilled water bottle to get to the MAX. mark.
For gear oil i haven't tried anything other other than MASS put it from there spares.
There are few available from speedworks though.
Old 14th June 2011, 20:49   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEHU View Post
Helo Jaggu-I need your guidance here..
My SWIFT LDi's engine has been overhauled after the hydrolock in December at 38K kms. I've covered 7k kms. From the day 1 I got the vehicle back from MSM service station after the overhaul, the vehicle seems to have some issues in the transmission. The vehicle didn respond while shifting to 2nd gear at 20KMPH and they corrected it and often such issues spring up.They said after 5k KMs it would be fine and am mostly on weekend long drives. Did 4500kms through long drives in a month and the mileage was inconsistent 15.1KMPL to 19.3KMPL tankful measures in almost the same pumps.
While moving from 70-100KMPH the vehicle feels like its running on gravel and the vibration seeps into the cabin, ORVMS, dashboard etc and it takes a long time to touch 100 and struggles to 140KMPH.I once touched 170KMPH after pinning the throttle and the steering vibrated so much after 130kmph.In the long drives I do between 90-120kmph as the average and the extreme figures quoted are just to check how the engine responded.Wheel alignment and balancing is checked again and everything is fine. Now what should be the problem here since MSM returns the vehicle everytime saying that using their digital gadgetory they find that ALL IS OK.Until it hit the puddle at 38K KM my engine was awesome easily touching 165KMPH when floored and for 90-120KMPH it used to return 21KMPL consistently irrespective of the fuel from various pumps. Is there a chance to restore this car to its former glory
Does this mean hydrolock can happen anytime we hit a puddle of water at speed?
Old 14th June 2011, 21:03   #1972
BHPian

No. It doesn't. It only happens if water enters the engine somehow (generally submerged exhaust) and you start the car subsequently. Suppose you are moving through a knee deep water logged area and your car stalls in between. There is every possibility that water will enter the engine through the exhaust and your engine will get damaged if you try to start the car subsequently.
That's the reason you are advised to cross any water logged area in lower gear (preferably 1st) with more than normal RPM so that your car never gets stalled in between and the exhaust gas pressure from the exhaust prevent the water from entering.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 21:40   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
@f1fan. Did you clear the codes after replacing the battery ?
I did my 40K service just few weeks back. While servicing i was with my car all the time. Removing and Draining the Diesel Filter is quite tough. Mech. couldnt find appropriate space to remove it so he put it on hydraulic ramp. So as jaggu suggested visit MASS.
Yup, the battery went kaput just before my 40K service. I never got the "Water in Filter" sign when it went bad. Just that my cranking time was getting a little longer and I could sense lights being weak. One day, it just wouldnt start and after persistant efforts, it started but somehow registered an error code (Car sign with a spanner). Post that got the battery checked and it was indeed the culprit.

Got the battery changed and during my 40K service, told the SA to check the error code and clear the same. It was checked and was the battery one which was subsequently erased.

BTW why was your diesel filter drained during 40K service bcos it is supposed to be replaced at that time?

Last edited by f1fan : 14th June 2011 at 21:41.
Old 15th June 2011, 01:03   #1974
BHPian

@f1fan. Hmm. then you might have water in your diesel filter. Yes Diesel Filter Replace interval is every 20K in Swift D. Get your Swift D check at MASS.
Old 15th June 2011, 01:38   #1975
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't just one one of those separation vessels, just empty it out?
Old 17th June 2011, 11:24   #1976
BBT
BHPian

Am at the Maruti service station right now for the 40k service of my 2008 Swift vdi + abs. Asked for all required changes (Fuel filter, oil filter, brake fluid, transmission oil, engine oil/flush , coolant) egr cleaning, wiper blade change, strut overhaul (bad pune roads have caused me to do this again in the space of 10k kms, had it done in my last 30k service as well but the rattling sound was back in my front right wheel), brake cleaning etc. The guy gave me a quote of 13k!!! 3k for the EGR cleaning and rest for various consumables and labour as mentioned above. A little shocked but have given him the go ahead.

Had a small problem with the headlights stalk (main beam coming on as if the connection was a bit loose)- the service advisor said he'll get it replaced under extended warranty.
The service center is Sai service in Pune. Just wanted to know if it sounds right?

PS: I'll try to post a detailed break up as soon as i get my bill.
Old 17th June 2011, 11:28   #1977
Team-BHP Support

I was charged 1200 for EGR cleaning in Delhi
Old 17th June 2011, 11:29   #1978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
Am at the Maruti service station right now for the 40k service of my 2008 Swift vdi + abs. Asked for all required changes (Fuel filter, oil filter, brake fluid, transmission oil, engine oil/flush , coolant) egr cleaning, wiper blade change, strut overhaul (bad pune roads have caused me to do this again in the space of 10k kms, had it done in my last 30k service as well but the rattling sound was back in my front right wheel), brake cleaning etc. The guy gave me a quote of 13k!!! 3k for the EGR cleaning and rest for various consumables and labour as mentioned above. A little shocked but have given him the go ahead.

Had a small problem with the headlights stalk (main beam coming on as if the connection was a bit loose)- the service advisor said he'll get it replaced under extended warranty.
The service center is Sai service in Pune. Just wanted to know if it sounds right?

I expected this. My 20k service came to 7k. 80% of the billing will be labor charges. Try for a discount. Some SA's will reduce it at the time of billing. I used to do this at Ford service station.
Old 17th June 2011, 11:37   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post

3 k sounds like EGR cleaning + decarbonising. Stay away from decarbonising like it was some nuclear bomb. The car will sound like a truck for around 2 thousand kilometers and totally not worth the mental torture.

Why strut overhaul ?, if yours is under extended warranty it should be replaced FOC
Old 17th June 2011, 11:56   #1980
BBT
BHPian

Thanks fir the prompt advice guys, I'll try to speak to the service engineer about the decarbonising and the strut overhaul.
I just had a look at the break up of the items in the quote and am posting them below for your reference:
Paid service 850
Brake pads & liners cleaning 600
EGR valve cleaning 3000
Both strut o/h 850
Rubbing & polishing 250
Wheel alignment, balancing and rotation 850

Engine oil & filter 1350
Diesel filter 1350
A/C filter 1500
Air filter 420
Gear oil 950
Coolant,brake oil 600