Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2008, 15:35   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
That is what I used to get on premium fuels all along but not with Xtramile premium,as the IOC pump is at some distance from my house. The 16.7 figure [that too with speeds between 80-120, with some portion at 120-140] though I am pretty sure of, will confirm again and as such have filled up with Xtramile this time too. But for sure Xtramile does make a difference, have read other owners getting more than average FE with IOC Xtramile premium.

As said, the last time was the only time normal diesel was filled up and it gave 10.5

I have ALWAYS used Xtramile - and have found that to be the BEST brew for my Accent CRDI - I have tried all possible combinations including System D but my engine is the happiest on Xtramile - Engine is the smoothest on it - the pick up is clearly better and get max mileage as well! I could'nt be happier!
Old 24th April 2008, 15:48   #287
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thanks for this rks.
I was wondering how 255 will do in the OE alloys. Or is it a must that I have to get wider alloys?
I assume that the stock tyres for Safari Dicor are 235/70-16 and your upsize would be 255/65-16. The minimum, maximum and optimal rim widths for this tyre size are best obtained from the tyre manufacturer. Consider Michelin's tyre:

Michelin Australia

The minimum, optimum and maximum rim widths for 255/65-16 tyres, as given in this website are 7.0", 7.5" and 9.0" respectively. So if your OE alloys are less than 7J, you have to go for wider alloys. If possible, stick to the optimal rim width, in this case 7.5J. Going to the maximum, as I have done in my Santro, would not necessarily be safe for Safari, and your ride may suffer badly. The best bet is optimum rim width recommended by tyre manufacturer, which will give you optimal performance, ride comfort and tyre life.
Old 24th April 2008, 16:58   #288
Senior - BHPian

My question:
What will be the widest size of tire i can use for my stock safari alloy rims without compromising ride quality.
Old 24th April 2008, 17:52   #289
rks
BANNED

@jaysomkesleaves: My understanding is that the stock size alloys are 6.5J for the Safari Dicor. As per the Michelin Australia website I posted earlier, you can fit 245/70-16 tyres on 6.5J rims, so I assume you can go up to 245 mm width on your stock alloys. However, I don't think you will get the most accurate upsize in 245 mm width.

@jkdas, consider the following post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tml#post618640

Looks like 7J or 7.5J alloys could cause some fouling in Dicor (with mud flaps?) if you put 255/65-16 tyres. So you have to be prepared to take steps to counter that, if you want wider alloys than stock. Michelin clearly does not recommend 255/65-16 tyres for stock 6.5J alloys. I would stand by that, and stick to stock tyres/wheels if fouling prevents fitting of 7J/7.5J alloys.

Last edited by rks : 24th April 2008 at 18:01.
Old 24th April 2008, 20:15   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansidea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo
actually zak is also a FIAT hater.check the palio MJD thread

and in this post he is a maruti hater

I hate zak!

I second that. I dont need to say that he is a Scorpio hater too..
Man! So much hatred inside one man, and that too against vehicles? And then, on this forum? Woh! Don't be sorry, time is a great healer.
Old 24th April 2008, 20:57   #291
Senior - BHPian

odo @ 4200kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
In Kerala, there's not much of Safari craze. And those who own one are crazy enough!

Hello! What is Falken doing in this thread?
Steer had those right? 255s? v1p3r is supposed to courier it to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
That is what I used to get on premium fuels all along but not with Xtramile premium,as the IOC pump is at some distance from my house. The 16.7 figure [that too with speeds between 80-120, with some portion at 120-140] though I am pretty sure of, will confirm again and as such have filled up with Xtramile this time too. But for sure Xtramile does make a difference, have read other owners getting more than average FE with IOC Xtramile premium.

As said, the last time was the only time normal diesel was filled up and it gave 10.5

JK any take on the "krrr" noise?

Yes that would really help to clear things up, all of us who are having the noise can attempt a recording.
Another fill up: 11kmpl, almost. Used System-D with normal IOC.

The 'krrr' noise when you accelerate fast before the turbo gets to its territory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post

Who knows, I may make the plunge too, sometime this year!

jkdas: a couple of quick questions :

1) How good is the roof AC? especially for third row folks? I know this has been discussed somewhere, but do you have any first hand experience? Do you need to use it very often?

2) Too early to ask, but how is your beige interior coping up with the dirt that comes in, especially when its all rains and wet shoes etc? Do you think it will be a big challenge for someone with three fairly active kids to keep the beige interiors clean?
1) Very good. Cools the cabin very fast. This was my experience when both front blower and roof blower was at 2nd setting. I am impressed coz I park my Safari in the sunand by noon its pretty hot here. We drive down for lunch , 3kms max one way.

2) Its cloth for seats and hence can be a problem. Rest is ok. I intend to get rexin seat covers.

I bought a big roll of carpet material and had it cut the the length I needed. Forgot the measure. The material in rubber+ plastic combo that you see being used at many house/office door. Used this as co-brother recommended it. This will take dust/soil and wont let it fly(?). Since the base is rubber, water wont seep out and will be contained in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I assume that the stock tyres for Safari Dicor are 235/70-16 and your upsize would be 255/65-16. The minimum, maximum and optimal rim widths for this tyre size are best obtained from the tyre manufacturer. Consider Michelin's tyre:

Michelin Australia
Stock is 235. Steer had used 255/65 on OE alloys and I may use his old tyres if someone can confirm it safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
My question:
What will be the widest size of tire i can use for my stock safari alloy rims without compromising ride quality.
Old 24th April 2008, 22:40   #292
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Stock is 235. Steer had used 255/65 on OE alloys and I may use his old tyres if someone can confirm it safe.
Not sure, since I haven't driven a Safari. I am sure Steer will give you the info you need. Just make sure that he didn't wear out those tyres chasing Santros and trying to run them over . But seriously, if those tyres are old and not used for some time, I wouldn't recommend them.

Anyway, I found the following review of the 2.2 lit Safari on the web:

Safari kicks in with a new heart-Motown Buzz-Indiatimes Wheels

Under "Ride and handling", vagueness in steering and body roll are mentioned when the road is bad. So you have to condsider whether the wider tyres on stock rims will improve matters or make them worse. I think it will be a mixed bag. You will have better dry grip, but against that your handling may come down a notch or two. I think your steering will be less precise and less responsive. Not sure about body roll, but I think it could increase under hard cornering/braking. Although braking distance may come down.

And since your rim size is lower than the range of the recommended rim widths for 255/65-16 tyres, your tyre life will be sub-optimal (see the Dunlop tyre site I had posted earlier). FE and top end grunt should come down slightly with wider tyres.

Last edited by rks : 24th April 2008 at 22:51.
Old 24th April 2008, 23:28   #293
Senior - BHPian

@rks >> thanks for the info ad all the additional gyan ur posting. makes for a good read and informative.
Old 24th April 2008, 23:32   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it'll be fine. Go ahead & use them. But make sure that the tyres have not developed any defects like sidewall cracks, ruptures or anything of the sort.

Last edited by iraghava : 24th April 2008 at 23:34.
Old 25th April 2008, 00:23   #295
BANNED

This is just the beginning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Man! So much hatred inside one man, and that too against vehicles? And then, on this forum? Woh! Don't be sorry, time is a great healer.
A good one!
If you meet me, maybe you'll start hating me too. Now, we have to start a poll regarding the cars I hate and love. What say?

@Jk. Are you getting the used ones or new ones? Yes, I'm asking about the falkens.
Old 25th April 2008, 11:08   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought a big roll of carpet material and had it cut the the length I needed. Forgot the measure. The material in rubber+ plastic combo that you see being used at many house/office door. Used this as co-brother recommended it. This will take dust/soil and wont let it fly(?). Since the base is rubber, water wont seep out and will be contained in it.
JKD,
Can u post a pic of this carpet material... thanks
Old 25th April 2008, 15:48   #297
BHPian

I had given a feedback on Tata Motors Customer Support :: Home.

The feedback was as follows:
THE CAR IS GOOD BUT:
1. Krrr. NOISE PROBLEM DURING SUDDEN ACCELERATION IS NOT ADDRESSED. THIS IS A VERY IRRITATING NOISE
2. CENTRAL CONSOLE ALIGNMENT IS WRONG. I COULD NOT RECTIFY IT DURING 1ST SERVICE. WILL TRY TO GET IT RECTIFIED DURING 2ND SERVICE.
3. TAPPET NOISE IN IDLING WHICH WHEN SHOWN TO SERVICE ADVISOR EXPRESSED THEIR INABILITY SAYING THAT TAPPET IS NOT ADJUSTABLE.
4. OIL CHANGE DURING 1ST SERVICE: THIS POINT IS NOT VERY CLEAR. YR TASS CANNOT CONFIRM WHETHER OIL IS TO BE CHANGED OR NOT. 15W40 CH4 OIL WAS NOT AVAILABLE. HAD TO ARRANGE FOR IT SINCE I INSISTED THAT IT BE DONE.
5. DRIVER GLASS RATTLING IN 3/4 CLOSED CONDITION. COULD NOT BE RECTIFIED. THEY ADDED PACKING BELOW THE WINDOW BEADING BUT IT STILL RATTLES.
6. DRIVER DOOR DOES NOT CLOSE WITH SOLID NOISE. SOMETHING APPARANTLY RATTLES (THE WINDOW ??)
7. LUMBER SUPPORT ON DRIVER'S SEAT FAULTY. 3RD POSITION COLLAPSES. TASS INFORMED THAT THE SEAT WILLHAVE TO BE REMOVED AND TAKEN TO THE SEAT MANUFACTURER (AND I HAVE ALREADY PUT IN A SEAT COVER.!!)
Endquote

I have been receiving phone calls from the service station (B U Bhandari - Wakad) from the last few days. Apparantly the TM's service department has phoned them up and have asked them to understand the problems.
Today I was informed that they would like to see the vehicle "as soon as possible"

Let us wait and watch and hope for the best.

P.S: Mods: I have cut and pasted from Notepad. Hope that there are no Formatting / font problems

Last edited by kingshukt : 25th April 2008 at 15:52.
Old 25th April 2008, 17:25   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post

THE CAR IS GOOD BUT:
1. Krrr. NOISE PROBLEM DURING SUDDEN ACCELERATION IS NOT ADDRESSED. THIS IS A VERY IRRITATING NOISE
2. CENTRAL CONSOLE ALIGNMENT IS WRONG. I COULD NOT RECTIFY IT DURING 1ST SERVICE. WILL TRY TO GET IT RECTIFIED DURING 2ND SERVICE.
3. TAPPET NOISE IN IDLING WHICH WHEN SHOWN TO SERVICE ADVISOR EXPRESSED THEIR INABILITY SAYING THAT TAPPET IS NOT ADJUSTABLE.
4. OIL CHANGE DURING 1ST SERVICE: THIS POINT IS NOT VERY CLEAR. YR TASS CANNOT CONFIRM WHETHER OIL IS TO BE CHANGED OR NOT. 15W40 CH4 OIL WAS NOT AVAILABLE. HAD TO ARRANGE FOR IT SINCE I INSISTED THAT IT BE DONE.
5. DRIVER GLASS RATTLING IN 3/4 CLOSED CONDITION. COULD NOT BE RECTIFIED. THEY ADDED PACKING BELOW THE WINDOW BEADING BUT IT STILL RATTLES.
6. DRIVER DOOR DOES NOT CLOSE WITH SOLID NOISE. SOMETHING APPARANTLY RATTLES (THE WINDOW ??)
7. LUMBER SUPPORT ON DRIVER'S SEAT FAULTY. 3RD POSITION COLLAPSES. TASS INFORMED THAT THE SEAT WILLHAVE TO BE REMOVED AND TAKEN TO THE SEAT MANUFACTURER (AND I HAVE ALREADY PUT IN A SEAT COVER.!!)
Endquote

I have been receiving phone calls from the service station (B U Bhandari - Wakad) from the last few days. Apparantly the TM's service department has phoned them up and have asked them to understand the problems.
Today I was informed that they would like to see the vehicle "as soon as possible"

Let us wait and watch and hope for the best.

P.S: Mods: I have cut and pasted from Notepad. Hope that there are no Formatting / font problems

Adding packing below the windod beading is a temporary solution and the problem will resurface again(as it seems to have)
I hope the response from the customer support is not just an eyewash.
It sure is a real pain to have seat problems after uve put seatcovers(are urs exp leather? )
Goodluck with the TASS.
Old 25th April 2008, 17:30   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post

THE CAR IS GOOD BUT:

So the krrr sound is the same of all. Is it a signal to you that you are not driving it correctly/ accelerating too fast?
Old 25th April 2008, 17:39   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the krrr sound is the same of all. Is it a signal to you that you are not driving it correctly/ accelerating too fast?
Krrr... sound i believe is a oil malnutritioned differential.(the one which is between the gear box and the propeller shaft) . Get it lubricated...Hope this helps....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks