Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2013, 10:41   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

Looks like this was the wrong place to post the fog lamp query. But soon after posting it in the modifications/ lighting thread, I got several suggestions. All of them said that after market fogs will not be as good as OEM ones.

Therefore, before deciding to spend 5000 bucks on a new set of fogs, I consulted the accessories shop near my house from whom I bought lots of stuff like sun film, reverse camera, perfumes, etc. He said he'd take a look at the damaged car by removing the bumper, if needed. If the damage was not possible to repair, he said he'd order a set of fogs for around 1400 bucks, or imported ones for around 3000 bucks.
He got the fog lamp chrome holder removed first from the bumper. It is held onto the bumper by a couple of clips on the plastic bracket with horizontal slats. He then could easily retrieve the fog that was dangling. On examining it, we found a plastic housing encircling the fog completely. There are 4 screw holes on it that should be aligned to the bumper assembly, out of which the top 2 were broken.

As the bottom two were intact, he inverted the fog after adjusting the bulb direction (this direction change be done with a screw driver) and fixed it to the bumper assembly. This was a tricky job that needed him to slide under the bumper and carry out his work.

The results were more than satisfying. Everything works fine now. Only on closely peeping into the chrome socket, one can see a small gap between the socket and the fog at the bottom portion. But heck, I don't want to spend 5000 bucks only for that almost non-existent issue.

To convey my gratitude, I paid him Rs 150 and also bought some items from him like perfume, nets for the boot, etc.

What annoys me is that why Ford A.S.S. could not think of this solution for the past three years. All they were doing was to elevate the car on the hydraulic ramp and place the misaligned fog in the chrome socket. But a big pothole would dislodge it soon. It was only in my last visit in Jan, when I got my reverse light switch changed, that a new S.A. said he would try some makeshift arrangement when I gave the car for its next service. But hey, that will not be till September or October.

Last edited by vnabhi : 21st May 2013 at 10:43.
Old 27th May 2013, 13:14   #422
Senior - BHPian

Here are pictures of my fog lamps on either side. You can see that there is not much difference.

The original, undamaged one on the right:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-20130521_105554_215.jpg

The damaged one that was fixed on the left. Only a small gap exists with the chrome casing:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-20130521_105613_166.jpg
Old 17th June 2013, 16:09   #423
Senior - BHPian

With the onset of monsoon and my odo ticking at 39825, I yielded to temptation and changed my tyres yesterday. A set of 4 Michelin XM2s set me back by 19200 bucks, which inluded WA/WB and Nitrogen-filling with new valves and green caps. The tyres were manufactured between week 42 and 50 of 2012 (this is an eternal issue with imported tyres: you never get stuff more recent.)

I did not get any money for the stock tyres, though they still had some tread for another 3 to 5 k kms. But they'd become hard, so it was imminent to change them.

Initial impressions are very good after running for around 30 kms, though any set of new tyres would have given the same impression. I am yet to take it on a highway spin to comment on handling, grip, etc. And contrary to expectation, I did not find the steering to get any harder with the 185/65/14 tyres.

Thanks to all those who'd given me suggestion on the Fiesta tyre change thread. My final contenders were Michelins and Conti Eco series. I did not go for Contis as the brand that was recommended was no longer appearing on their website.

Here are pictures of old and new:

3 old tyres had worn out equally, but the one at the right rear had worn out more (leftmost and back in first pic, and rightmost one in second pic). Looks like I need to get my suspension checked at the next service:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-20130616_145614_453.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-20130616_151137_79.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-20130616_150431_179.jpg
Old 24th June 2013, 17:29   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
With the onset of monsoon and my odo ticking at 39825, I yielded to temptation and changed my tyres yesterday. A set of 4 Michelin XM2s set me back by 19200 bucks, which inluded WA/WB and Nitrogen-filling with new valves and green caps. The tyres were manufactured between week 42 and 50 of 2012 (this is an eternal issue with imported tyres: you never get stuff more recent.)

I did not get any money for the stock tyres, though they still had some tread for another 3 to 5 k kms. But they'd become hard, so it was imminent to change them.

Initial impressions are very good after running for around 30 kms, though any set of new tyres would have given the same impression. I am yet to take it on a highway spin to comment on handling, grip, etc. And contrary to expectation, I did not find the steering to get any harder with the 185/65/14 tyres.

Thanks to all those who'd given me suggestion on the Fiesta tyre change thread. My final contenders were Michelins and Conti Eco series. I did not go for Contis as the brand that was recommended was no longer appearing on their website.

Here are pictures of old and new:

3 old tyres had worn out equally, but the one at the right rear had worn out more (leftmost and back in first pic, and rightmost one in second pic). Looks like I need to get my suspension checked at the next service:
@vnabhi

Congrats on the tyre change. They do complement the Fiesta ( Happen to take a look at one shod with the same tyres with same spec yesterday). I have to change mine too before the monsoon. Please do post your review on their performance and any changes to the steering feel.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:18   #425
BANNED

Quote:
With the onset of monsoon and my odo ticking at 39825, I yielded to temptation and changed my tyres yesterday.

Congrats Venu Sir for the new shoes

Is it correct that a new set of tyres must be gunned from the time they are fit onto the car? It must be driven sedately for the first 200 kms?

The tyre guys say it has some kind of protective layer so the grip levels are a bit low till that protective layer is worn out. How true is this?

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:20   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post

@vnabhi

Congrats on the tyre change. They do complement the Fiesta ( Happen to take a look at one shod with the same tyres with same spec yesterday). I have to change mine too before the monsoon. Please do post your review on their performance and any changes to the steering feel.
Thanks. I am delighted with the grip and comfort they offer. I had a 70 km run to the airport yesterday, and boy o boy, they gave me lots of confidence over curves on wet roads. Could take it to 130 kmph in a short burst, and they were a lot more silent!

So far have clicked 220 Kms. Will update in a few weeks.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:24   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Congrats Venu Sir for the new shoes

Is it correct that a new set of tyres must be gunned from the time they are fit onto the car? It must be driven sedately for the first 200 kms?

The tyre guys say it has some kind of protective layer so the grip levels are a bit low till that protective layer is worn out. How true is this?

Cheers,
Anurag.
Yes, I did not drive fast or brake hard for the first 150 Kms. In the initial 10 Kms, they were squealing and slippery. Now they are fine.
Old 4th July 2013, 13:11   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I yielded to temptation and changed my tyres yesterday.
Congrats on the new tyres, please share pictures of the car mounted with the tyres
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 00:28   #429
BHPian

Congrats Venu sir.

I too got the shoes of my Fiesta 1.6sxi changed about 3 weeks ago. I too opted for Michelin XM2+ and they costed me Rs4750/- each. You are absolutely right on the manufacturing dates. Mine are December 2012 manufactured too.
Zodak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 12:55   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodak View Post
Congrats Venu sir.

I too got the shoes of my Fiesta 1.6sxi changed about 3 weeks ago. I too opted for Michelin XM2+ and they costed me Rs4750/- each. You are absolutely right on the manufacturing dates. Mine are December 2012 manufactured too.
It takes two to tango! Congrats for the great choice. Did you go for stock size or a minor upsize, as I did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Congrats on the new tyres, please share pictures of the car mounted with the tyres
Here they are. I've completed nearly 450 kms so far on the new tyres, and more than delighted with what they offer. F.E. has not changed: it continues to be 11+, but I'll post an update after a couple of more refills.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-20130708_105037_908_kpt.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-20130708_105047_799.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-20130708_105057_905.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-20130708_105113_583_kpt.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 22:37   #431
BHPian

Quote:

It takes two to tango! Congrats for the great choice. Did you go for stock size or a minor upsize, as I did?
I went for the stock size primarily because my spare tyre is pretty much unused.
Zodak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 08:21   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Venu Sir,

Congratulations. The new tyres seem to have added a new life & new character to the car. Any particular reason for getting Nitrogen filled? What about the spare? Is it still the old one, I assume it must have enough treads to be used as spare.
Old 9th July 2013, 19:06   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Venu Sir,

Congratulations. The new tyres seem to have added a new life & new character to the car. Any particular reason for getting Nitrogen filled? What about the spare? Is it still the old one, I assume it must have enough treads to be used as spare.
Thanks. I'm using the best tyre out of the earlier set of 5 as the stepney. It will easily go for another 5000 kms at the minimum, if you can spot it in the pictures I'd posted earlier.

Nitrogen, despite its controversies, gives me the luxury of going for refills once in 45 to 60 days, instead of every 15 to 20 days as in the case of air. This apart, it is supposed to keep the tyres cooler during long runs.
Old 15th July 2013, 23:02   #434
Senior - BHPian

I got installed a set of wire holders in the boot to hold objects upright. I find them very useful, so wanted so share this information.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-20130710_122711_674.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-20130710_122817_462.jpg
Old 11th September 2013, 14:25   #435

Hi vnabhi,

What is your take on the effect of AC loading on the Fiesta 1.6? Do you feel a significant difference? I feel that without the AC, the Fiesta is a lot more easy to drive in bumper to bumper traffic without the need for too much downshifting and clutch riding. With the AC on, it is very difficult to keep moving in the 2nd gear without riding the cluth (I hate to ride the clutch). The first gear on the Fiesta 1.6 is so short that the slightest tap on the A-pedal hits 2000 rpm. So, you cannot simply move in first gear to avoid riding the clutch. This is a major irritant while driving in bumper to bumper traffic. It is the same case when going over those plastic speed bumps within the office/mall driveways. Also, the car feels much more agile without the AC on (maybe a difference of 20-25%). Do you feel the same? How do you tackle bumper-bumper traffics?

Vijay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks