Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2013, 09:33   #451
Senior - BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
I managed to stall my diesel Figo twice on second gear :(.

MaSh
It happened to me in the first week of my Figo too. It takes time to adapt to a diesel's driving style, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since you are new to diesels out will happen tool you get hold of the nac of driving it.

Once you get the trick then I bet you won't stall the engine in any gear.

Anurag.
Exactly my thoughts. Conversely, for those who own both diesel and petrol cars, when they shift to the petrol one after using the diesel regularly, you can easily make out that they are used to diesels by the way they revv and release the clutch in b-to-b traffic.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 18:12   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Sorry, I missed both posts (surprisingly I did not get a notification).

I differ with both of you. I find no effect in b-to-b traffic, AC or no AC. In fact, switching the AC on does not even reflect on the car's performance, unlike the WagonR that I have, in which there is nearly a 30% drop in pulling power.

The only time when the AC causes a drop in performance in 2nd gear is when I try to climb a slope from near zero speed. All other times, no effect.

The only thing that poses an issue to me is the heavy clutch, especially in heavy traffic. Surprisingly, the diesel Figo has a lighter clutch. My left knee muscles are stronger now!

By the way, do you press the clutch when going on those metal/ plastic speed-breakers? In most cases I don't, unless it is very large. And I believe the 'anti-stall' feature takes care of the car not stalling at low speeds in 2nd gear.
Hi vnabhi,

I'm really surprised that you do not experience any difference in performance with the AC on. Let me be more clear what I experience - with the AC on, in B2B traffic at speeds of around 10-15KMPH, I find it very difficult to keep moving in the 2nd gear without pressing the cluth pedal. If I try to feather the brakes (in 2nd gear) to avoid pressing the clutch pedal, the anti stall immediately kicks in pushing the vehicle ahead. I then have to invariably shift to the 1st gear. With the AC off, the vehicle is more forgiving in allowing me to really crawl (even in 2nd gear) without having to press the clutch; and it is also more agile in the sense that it is very free revving.

Do you feel that the 1st gear is very short in Fiesta 1.6? I feel so and that is one of the reasons why I like to crawl in the 2nd gear. Not sure if anybody else experiences this. Things change when the AC is off though.

When going over the "plastic" speed breakers, no matter how slow one goes it hits the vehicle very hard. And the antil stall feature would kick in if I try to go over it in the 2nd gear; so the vehicle would hit the speed breaker hard. So, I ususally downshift 1st gear when going over these. Pressing the clutch pedal depends on the angle of entry and the time I have to slow down (those speed breakers placed just where the vehicle turns are very very nasty!)

Vijay
intothewild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 19:06   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothewild View Post
Hi vnabhi,

Let me be more clear what I experience - with the AC on, in B2B traffic at speeds of around 10-15KMPH, I find it very difficult to keep moving in the 2nd gear without pressing the cluth pedal. If I try to feather the brakes (in 2nd gear) to avoid pressing the clutch pedal, the anti stall immediately kicks in pushing the vehicle ahead. I then have to invariably shift to the 1st gear. With the AC off, the vehicle is more forgiving in allowing me to really crawl (even in 2nd gear) without having to press the clutch; and it is also more agile in the sense that it is very free revving.
Ok, got you now. Actually, it depends on the intensity of the traffic. If the vehicle ahead is too close, 2nd gear may be too fast. In such cases I shift to 1st and trudge along slowly. I find this easier than pressing the clutch and brake to avoid hitting the guy in front. As I told you earlier, the clutch is heavy, so I avoid using it whenever possible. Downshifting comes to my rescue.

But in most cases, I find second better as it is easier to keep pace with traffic when it picks up speed suddenly. And yes, first gear is too short, so second is my most preferred gear in b-to-b traffic, unless it is too darn slow. And I don't think AC makes much of a difference, but let me observe and revert. I drive mostly with AC on in b-to-b traffic in order to avoid traffic noise and fumes.

Quote:
When going over the "plastic" speed breakers, no matter how slow one goes it hits the vehicle very hard. And the antil stall feature would kick in if I try to go over it in the 2nd gear; so the vehicle would hit the speed breaker hard. So, I ususally downshift 1st gear when going over these. Pressing the clutch pedal depends on the angle of entry and the time I have to slow down (those speed breakers placed just where the vehicle turns are very very nasty!)

Vijay
I tackle most of the low humps by braking before the hump in 2nd gear to near zero speed, and releasing the brake a moment before the front wheels go over it. This way, the wheels do not hit the object hard.

I use this technique even for huge ones that I need to take diagonally. I downshift to first gear only if there is a chance of obstructing an opposite direction vehicle due to my going diagonally. Or even when there is some other obstruction which might require me to come to a stop.
Old 16th September 2013, 19:12   #454
BANNED

Quote:
But in most cases, I find second better as it is easier to keep pace with traffic when it picks up speed suddenly. And yes, first gear is too short, so second is my most preferred gear in b-to-b traffic, unless it is too darn slow.
I am sorry for asking but isn't first gear better for tackling speed breakers and B2B traffic?

Won't using second gear put load on the engine and gearbox?

Anurag.
Old 16th September 2013, 19:18   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry for asking but isn't first gear better for tackling speed breakers and B2B traffic?

Won't using second gear put load on the engine and gearbox?

Anurag.
No idea. I drive both petrol cars that way (Fiesta and WagonR). Only on the Waggie, I mostly shift to first if the AC is on, or switch the AC off, as it sucks the pulling power of the car. And the WagonR has already entered its teens with no issues with the clutch or engine.

On the diesel Figo however, it is a different ball game: I trudge along in first gear so as to be in the power band (above 1500 rpm). This apart, I need to press the throttle more to get better pickup, and that comes post 1700 rpm. This is why I sometimes say that driving the diesel Figo at times feels like driving a petrol Fiesta on punctured tyres.

Last edited by vnabhi : 16th September 2013 at 19:21.
Old 20th September 2013, 03:25   #456
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Wouldn't that all depend on the Idle RPMs of your car? You can carefully release the clutch in 1st gear with zero throttle input and start moving and keep shifting. Most of the cars will easily gain speeds of more than 30kmph (Petrol) in 4th gear with zero throttle input.
Quote:
You can take it for granted on diesel cars that they will not stall in such situations.
What I tried was the same like no throttle input in the gear from 1 to 5. Wanted to see in which gear the engine stalls.

Attaching a few images taken using Torque Pro App + ELM 327 OBD II reader.

First Gear:
My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-first-gear.jpg

Second Gear:
My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-second-gear.jpg

Third Gear:
My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-third-gear.jpg

Fourth Gear:
My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-fourth-gear.jpg

Answer: It works well in first, second, third and fourth gear but the engine stalls when slotted in fifth without any throttle input.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 10:37   #457
Senior - BHPian

Wow, thanks for the academic information, Anurag. You seem to have one heck of a flair for such stuff.

One can see that the revvs gradually build up over the gears, and so does speed. I think it will be kind of similar in the WagonR. I don't think the Fiesta will trudge along without throttle inputs in gears higher than the second. I need to try it one day.

By the way, what are boost, coolant and fuel rail and load? Can you please educate us?
Old 20th September 2013, 17:19   #458
BANNED

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the academic information, Anurag. You seem to have one heck of a flair for such stuff.
Thank you Venu sir.

Quote:
One can see that the revvs gradually build up over the gears, and so does speed.
The other thing that I have noticed is that the Engine Load decreases with up shifting. But in the fourth gear after releasing the clutch the initial engine is struggling to neutralize the gearing with speed to keep the engine ON (Anti-Stall feature pitches in).

Quote:
By the way, what are boost, coolant and fuel rail and load? Can you please educate us?
Can I know the exact doubt sirjee?! Just put the terms in simple English below:
  1. Boost: That dial gives the turbo charger boost pressure;
  2. Coolant: This is the coolant temperature readout;
  3. Fuel Rain pressure: The fuel rail pressure is the pressure inside the main fuel rail pre injection and
  4. Load: This is the percentage engine load.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 17:54   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
! Just put the terms in simple English below:
  1. Boost: That dial gives the turbo charger boost pressure;
  2. Coolant: This is the coolant temperature readout;
  3. Fuel Rain pressure: The fuel rail pressure is the pressure inside the main fuel rail pre injection and
  4. Load: This is the percentage engine load.
Anurag.

Thanks, that answers my questions. Too many statistics sort of confuse me.
Old 11th October 2013, 12:26   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Do you feel that the 1st gear is very short in Fiesta 1.6? I feel so and that is one of the reasons why I like to crawl in the 2nd gear. Not sure if anybody else experiences this. Things change when the AC is off though.

Vijay
Here's some more feedback on driving in b-to-b traffic. 2 days ago, my return journey from work took 3 hours, instead of 35 minutes, as the 15-km stretch was heavily water-logged after very heavy rains. In fact most parts of central Hyderabad were grid-locked the entire evening. There was a minor fire accident too on my route, which worsened the traffic.

As it was drizzling, I was forced to keep the AC on, to avoid misting of the windscreen. I did not find any issues with the pickup of the car in either first or second gear. In fact, 95% of my crawling was in 1st gear, as traffic was moving 5 to 10 feet at a time, every 10 to 20 seconds. No chance to relax at one spot.

Owing to the situation above, I might have pressed the clutch thousands of times. After an hour, I did feel a bit of strain on the left knee, due to the slightly heavy clutch (compared to the Figo or WagonR). I tried coasting in neutral, but more often than not, a pesky auto rickshaw or a bike rider squeezed into the gap between my car and the front. So the only option left was to keep pace with the car in front, and close the gap before any pest ventured into it.

Therefore, using the throttle, clutch and brake in quick succession very often was unavoidable. So to repeat, there was no issue at all with the pickup of the car in first or second gear, even with AC on, in the tightest traffic. The only issue I faced was a slightly sore knee. Sometimes, I felt inclined to release the clutch, even if it led to hitting the guy in front. . And towards the end of the journey, I was imagining that the clutch was getting a rubbery, faded feel. But that was not there on the following day. Perhaps it was fatigue.

Coming back to the car's maintenance, my annual service is due this month, as the car has crossed 1 year. It has covered 5700 kms in that period. I'll update regarding the service cost soon.

Only issue I need to get checked is a slight rattle from the driver's door over rough roads, and it is somewhere near the door opening lever. And rarely, I think i hear a faint rattle from the speedo console over rough roads, but that is not constant.

As the car has crossed 42000 kms, I'll also ask them to check the brake pads and shocks. I remember the right rear tyre had worn out more in the older set of tyres, so I'll point that out.

Is there anything else I need to get checked? Thanks for your interest.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 14:02   #461
Senior - BHPian

I got The Red Injun serviced at Mody Ford on Saturday, with the odo reading 42047, and the service cost was Rs 5171, which included engine compartment cleaning, as the bay had got dirty during the monsoons. The service was what they call a '70 K kms service', which included a thorough checking of the suspension, brakes, tyres, battery, etc. They even got the AC filter changed, and the housing vacuum cleaned.

Everything was found to be ok. The minor ratttle on the driver's door also seems to have been fixed, though I need to check again over the next few weeks. The SA said that the shock absorber and bearing on the right rear wheel were checked and found to be ok. So I wonder why that tyre on the earlier set was around 15% more worn than the rest!!

The SA told me that in the next service, they would change the spark plugs and the coolant too.

Here's the break up of the service charges:-
  1. Filter Oil SOHC:: 272.81
  2. FLTR AIR CLEANER:: 279.81
  3. FILTER ASY FUEL:: 542.14
  4. ENGINE OIL 5W30-913 C 4.1 L :: 1174.19
  5. 70 K Service Duratec Petrol :: 1100
  6. Consumables:: 200
  7. Motor care/ Engine room waxing:: 490
  8. Dry Cleaning:: 500
  • Labour Total:: 2290
  • Parts Tota::l 2269.25
  • VAT 14.5% :: 329.04
  • SERVICE TAX 12.36% ::283.04
  • TOTAL:::: 5171
As usual, the service experience was very good, and the cost very reasonable. The Fiesta continues to draw a smile on my face, despite being 6.5 years old. And the FE has always ranged from 11 to 12.5 in city driving. The most recent one was only 10.6, and this could be attributed to the heavy jam I mentioned about in the prior post, and also due to some fuel being used during service.

Last edited by vnabhi : 14th October 2013 at 14:06.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 19:04   #462
Senior - BHPian

With the topic of heavy maintenance cost of Skodas being discussed on this forum, I thought it would be worthwhile to check the cost incurred in maintaining the Red Injun, which will complete 7 years in 2 and half months.

I found that the percentage of cost when compared to the On-road price of the car (which was 8.3 lacs) turned out to be only 7.4 %. The worksheet attached has the details. Who said Ford cars were expensive to maintain?

Please note that I've not included the cost of add-ons and accident repairs, but only cost of servicing, new tyres and battery.

Coming to the car, I took her out for a 300 km spin on Sunday to Warangal with other team-bhp members. The car performed flawlessly. Only one issue was steering wobble at speeds between 115 and 120, not above, not below. It looks like the WA/WB done when I changed the tyres in June was not done well. I'll get it done again soon.

Thanks for your patience.
Fiesta Maintenance Record.xlsx

Last edited by vnabhi : 27th November 2013 at 19:07.
Old 28th November 2013, 18:18   #463
BANNED

Quote:
Who said Ford cars were expensive to maintain?
Good question! Thank you for sharing the Excel file on the costs incurred in these 6.5 years of ownership but with all factors added the figure would total to maximum 10% which is a pretty for it overall. Can I know what is the running costs your having? I have found mine to be at 0.80 paise/km. (My car ODO reads 1,05,789 kms now)

Quote:
Only one issue was steering wobble at speeds between 115 and 120, not above, not below. It looks like the WA/WB done when I changed the tyres in June was not done well. I'll get it done again soon.
That is some keen observation as the wobble is only in a gap of 5 kmph. Does the Fiesta have two wheel balancing or four wheel balancing?

How frequently do you get the WA/WB & TR (Tyre Rotation) done? I do it every 5K kms (I know it is too frequent but..).

Anurag.
Old 28th November 2013, 18:24   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good question! Thank you for sharing the Excel file on the costs incurred in these 6.5 years of ownership but with all factors added the figure would total to maximum 10% which is a pretty for it overall. Can I know what is the running costs your having? I have found mine to be at 0.80 paise/km. (My car ODO reads 1,05,789 kms now)

That is some keen observation as the wobble is only in a gap of 5 kmph. Does the Fiesta have two wheel balancing or four wheel balancing?

How frequently do you get the WA/WB & TR (Tyre Rotation) done? I do it every 5K kms (I know it is too frequent but..).

Anurag.
Thanks Anurag. I get my WA/WB done every 10,000 kms. Usually I get it done at Suresh Wheels in Banjara Hills, but this time it was done by Ashoka Wheels when I changed the tyres in June. I have not had a chance to do triple digit speeds this far, till the Warangal drive.

As regarding running costs, do you mean cost per km of travel? Are you referring to the service cost or the fuel cost? If it is the former, it is already there in the sheet. If the latter, petrol cars will cost a lot, lot more. Moreover, they are used much less, so the cost per km will be quite high.
Old 28th November 2013, 18:33   #465
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Anurag. I get my WA/WB done every 10,000 kms. Usually I get it done at Suresh Wheels in Banjara Hills, but this time it was done by Ashoka Wheels when I changed the tyres in June. I have not had a chance to do triple digit speeds this far, till the Warangal drive.
How much does Ashoka Wheels charge for the WA & WB? My Ritz is charged 450 bucks for all the work.

Is Ashoka better or Suresh? I have heard about Mohan @ Tankbund from Avinash so who is better of the lot?

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks